Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oh for fuck's sake, how many patches does NWN2 need?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Gromnir said:
even if this were a concern, the console commands allow you to give your character whatever xp and equipment you desire. so why play 20+ hours o' nwn2 simply to get 2 extra levels and better starting loot when simply using console commands will achieve same results in less than 1 minute?

"their point" is ridiculous... if that is their point.

HA! Good Fun!
One question was Lesifoer who is unable to understand that not everybody shares her opinions. Thus she asked why anybody would want to play NWN2 OC. I didn't re-read all other comments but most either said to use the cheat console or a character development module to get to lvl 20 (Although I agree with Cardtrick that that is completely unneccessary). Nobody said to play through the OC just to play MotB.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Shannow said:
Gromnir said:
even if this were a concern, the console commands allow you to give your character whatever xp and equipment you desire. so why play 20+ hours o' nwn2 simply to get 2 extra levels and better starting loot when simply using console commands will achieve same results in less than 1 minute?

"their point" is ridiculous... if that is their point.

HA! Good Fun!
One question was Lesifoer who is unable to understand that not everybody shares her opinions.

No? I thought the Codex was governed by a hivemind. Don't go shattering my illusions, now.

So do you actually like the NWN2 OC, then? Does anyone?

Murk

Arcane
It's not "great" or even "pretty good" but it is something I don't mind playing through every now and again.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I had fun playing it and won't mind doing it again. Even if MotB is a superior game, for all its flaws the OC managed to entertain me from start to end.

Hivemind be damned!

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Is there any way to make the experience more bearable? I tried once, suffered through three acts and gave up. I tried again and gave up before I left West... Habor? The name of the starting village.

Though I should add that I was stupid enough to try a warlock the first time. My god, what a shitty class. Or shitty implementation of a class.

Murk

Arcane
If you want an easy time through - play a cleric, they autowin at everything d&d with l33th4x4u.

If you want to actually have a character that does stuff then take a caster of any type, a rogue, or make fighter specced out for the Duelist PrC.

The NPCs are beyond any consideration of Cliche that you don't even need to bother reading their dialog, the only one worth even dwelling over is Sand 'cuz he brings lulz every now and again. I liked Bishop's sarcasm and constant ribbing but even he was super predictable.

God I hate that fucking druid :(

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
And if you play a girl character you can romance Casavir who is as sexy as Patrick Swayze who is as sexy as a log.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mikayel said:
The NPCs are beyond any consideration of Cliche that you don't even need to bother reading their dialog, the only one worth even dwelling over is Sand 'cuz he brings lulz every now and again. I liked Bishop's sarcasm and constant ribbing but even he was super predictable.

You forgot Ammon, the true hero of the OC, after all ;)

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Who are the romance options for male PCs again? Don't tell me Elanee is one.

So, in short, it's a lot more bearable if I click past all joinable NPCs' dialogue except for a select few? Sounds like a plan.

Murk

Arcane
thesheeep said:
Mikayel said:

You forgot Ammon, the true hero of the OC, after all ;)

OMFG SPOILER MAN WTF

Nedrah

Erudite
Chosing a chacacter class for the oc is the hardest part of the game, I put more thought into that than at anything the game would later actually throw at me. I like pure casters best, but since you're going to be the group leader, you'll draw a lot of attention from hostiles - so you had better make sure to keep yourself buffed up with protection spells at all times. Keeping those going can become tedious real quickly. If you, on the other hand, decide to go for some tank kind of guy, don't expect to do much with your main char. He'll be in the front lines sticking steel into people's faces, which clearly is a bonus.

A cleric seems to be the real deal, actually - he'll be able to wear some real protection, still has plenty of protection and buff spells at his disposal, and especially at later levels becomes an ungodly nuke machine that rivals any wizard. For MotB, there's some kind of cleric special class that relies on charisma for their casting. Since social stats actually mean something now and again in motb, that's definitely not a bad class to roll with.

I still can't help imagining how much more fun experementation with classes would be in a turn based enviroment, where you could actually position your guys and really play with their abilitys and tactical options.

On a last side note: If you play with any difficulty level that includes friendly fire, make sure you don't let your sorcerers learn anything that does serious AOE damage. Fuckers don't have the sense to notice that they're toasting your frontline guys, too.

DU, as for your bandwith whoes, may I suggest you try this (shareware) utility:
<a href="http://www.cfos.de/index2_e.htm">Cfos speed</a>

It does some serious traffic shaping from a driver level. I have no problems basically leaving huge up-/downloads runing in the background while cfos makes sure that I still get all the internetspower I need to surf the web or even play online games with good ping.

RuySan

Augur
ghostdog said:
Damn, I'm not the only one! Sometimes I feel secure just knowing some special game is installed and I can play it in 10 seconds if I feel the urge to do so.
HA! same here

Anyway, NWN2 is so badly coded that even a new and powerful machine can't play it in full detail. It's true about the crysis comparison, I've played Crysis in medium-high settings and the same applies to NWN2. And what is amazing is that NWN2 graphics are rather crappy anyway,,,

i play it with everything on maximum (and anti-aliasing on 8x) and runs really well. Only thing that completely hampers the frame rate is messing with the sound settings. I have to leave it in Miles 2d or something, otherwise it will be unplayable.

Btw, i'm enjoying this game but there are some anoyances with it. Does any one knows how to solve this issues?

- My sorcerer has the stupid habit of casting fireballs into the fray, agterwards her compaions start to attack her. Is there anyway other than puppet mode to choose what spells i want her to cast.

- Is there any way to limit resting? this way the game becomes a cakewalk

Nedrah

Erudite
If you play with any difficulty level that includes friendly fire, make sure you don't let your sorcerers learn anything that does serious AOE damage. Fuckers don't have the sense to notice that they're toasting your frontline guys, too.

No way that I know of to stop that. A sorceror in support mode is a lot like a fighter in dance mode. They may be fun to look at, but you'd be better off with someone who does what he's good at.Perhaps some kind of AI mod takes care of the problem, if so I'd love to hear about it, too.

RuySan

Augur
Nedrah said:
If you play with any difficulty level that includes friendly fire, make sure you don't let your sorcerers learn anything that does serious AOE damage. Fuckers don't have the sense to notice that they're toasting your frontline guys, too.

No way that I know of to stop that. A sorceror in support mode is a lot like a fighter in dance mode. They may be fun to look at, but you'd be better off with someone who does what he's good at.Perhaps some kind of AI mod takes care of the problem, if so I'd love to hear about it, too.

no mod to put some sense into spellcasters then??

:(

Shannow

Waster of Time
I enjoyed NWN2 OC. In fact, at the end I had a better feeling about it than I had after finishing MotB. While MotB is the better game it shares the same shit gameplay that the OC has. Futhermore I expected the OC to be as bad as NWN OC and was pleasantly surprised. After all the hyping I simply expected more of MotB.
To me both are OKish and I might play through both of them in a year again.

I think the newest tony k AI hak has a button that tells your companions not to drop aoe spells on your party. Since I load out my companions with direct hit spells I don't know how well it works.

RuySan

Augur
Shannow said:
I think the newest tony k AI hak has a button that tells your companions not to drop aoe spells on your party. Since I load out my companions with direct hit spells I don't know how well it works.

i have to try that then.

Any mod out there to limit resting?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Gragt said:
Lesifoere said:
Who are the romance options for male PCs again? Don't tell me Elanee is one.

She actually is the only one.

Oh my god.

On one hand, I'm pleasantly surprised that both male and female PCs have one romance option each. On the other, Elanee should burn. I guess if I ever give the OC another try, I'll play a girl. Casavir, though I've only seen a little of him, surely cannot be worse.

RuySan

Augur
RuySan said:
Shannow said:

i have to try that then.

Any mod out there to limit resting?

anyone can point me to the tonyk AI mod?

I can't seem to find it on the nwn2 vault

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Lesifoere said:
Oh my god.

On one hand, I'm pleasantly surprised that both male and female PCs have one romance option each. On the other, Elanee should burn. I guess if I ever give the OC another try, I'll play a girl. Casavir, though I've only seen a little of him, surely cannot be worse.

Well Casavir is a bit one-sided just like the other characters but you can explain it by him being a paladin. Granted he isn't that interesting but he kinda fits the paladin role by upholding goodness and justice without being naive.

Elanee was just bland... I actually laughed when your party gets off the boat in Neverwinter Docks and Neeshka starts to make fun of Khelgar and Elanee, she's spot on the stereotypes.

I prefered Safiya in MotB, she felt better fleshed out and did not become dependent on the hero.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Annonchinil said:
Wyrmlord said:
So I am not the only one who noticed NWN2 has the same requirements as Crysis.

It's because NWN2 is a poorly optimised game. Obsidian has really bad coders. Their management of the game's programming is so bad, that it takes up a high processing power, despite being ugly and looking no different from NWN1.

I can run Crysis at High with 20 frames per second, while with NWN2, it is 15 frames per second, on the default settings. Turning up the shadow resolution even a notch will make the game unplayable. Atleast Crysis has an excuse, because it's a gorgeous game, but NWN2 looks hideous.

Even Bioshock, I manage at 30+ fps on the highest settings. World In Conflict and CoH at 40 on the highest.

I am sorry but what kind of computer do you have? If you can max out Crysis on XP at playable frames than you should get way better framerates in games like CoH and there is no way your CoH framerate is equal to WiC, you should be getting way higher frames in older games. As for NWN2 shadows, AA and water are the big killers for me, water is no loss and AA doesn't make a big difference for me, shadows so far are maxed, but I still have to get into a major spell battle.
I have Vista, not XP. And I don't max out Crysis, it is only on High, but with a few settings on Medium(on DX9, as DX10 is a huge framerate killer). I don't play it on Very High, don't even get the option to. Also, my rig is a very modest 2 gigs of RAM, Core 2 Duo E6520 2.33 GHz, 8600 GT. And I might be misremembering CoH and WiC's fps, but I know for sure that they ran smoothly on the highest settings.

In response to topic:
I only played the NWN2 OC uptil the part with Casavir and the orcs. Some really good modules had come out, and I really wanted to try them out first. I like going to NWVault and checking out some good NWN2 module.

Nedrah

Erudite
While we're at it, can anyone recommend a few good modules? Preferably ones on the lengthy side, as I hate it when a module is over shortly after I managed to get into it.

RuySan

Augur
i installed tony's AI and every new feature in the behavior list is listed as "silence". WTF?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom