Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The grind favoured a 5 minute daily solo race.

I should also point out that there's actually zero need to upgrade gear.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It's just Drakron being his usual self, don't mind.

Says the man that is never online.

I have seen him recently, he has become an early bird now. I mean he is online in the morning, not... that other... you know.

And I would actually be really worried if Drakron praised something instead of his usual "This is shit! Who designed this shit?" catchphrase.
To loosely quote norfleet: "If we had a warpcore running on Drakron whining, all our power problems were solved."
But THAT is our Drakron, we wouldn't want him any other way, amirite? :hug:

Sweet. Any chance you'd let a newfag join up?
The fleet is only there do turn your fleet marks into credits and buy a sweet new boat. More important is the very prestigious 'dex channel, where you can listen to us ranting and complaining enjoy the silence.

Regarding group content and upgrading:
I didn't really upgrade anything, all those free upgrade tokens are collecting dust. No real need for it, I am doing well with purple MK12 stuff on all my chars. Most of it was even free of charge, making my inner Norfleet smile.

Doing the hard Defera group run was lulzy, since people are so hilariously overgeared for that outdated stuff now, the scary borg fell over like some tutorial rat. Would be a great way for BNP if it weren't for the 3 peeps requirement.

As for space group content (STFs), it's amixed bag. On normal difficulty there is no real reason to do them aside from getting a daily omega box (if you don't like ground action), while the higher difficulies are tailored towards min/max elitist players, so they end up more trouble then they are worth.

My general recommendation for prospective players is still valid: enjoy the ride towards 50+ instead of treating it as an extended tutorial before endgame. In fact, do not expect a real endgame, because aside from bringing your chars reputation/doffing/equipment up to your liking, then spend your time farming spacepotatos so you can buy new shiny boats without spending real moneyz, there isn't much more to do (until some event/feature episode pops up). The Star Trek bonus is what keeps me around.

As for Risia: why would anyone even want to still get one of the old ships anyway? The new one will probably a T6 pilot corvette, fresh players don't need those old T5 buckets.
But let's hope they don't remove qmendashuns as well, last anniversary event gave me enough to get next years reward on day one.

eklektyk

Erudite
wording behind their explanation of changes is clear

YOURE FUCKED ON ALL EVENTS goin forward - its their new operating procedure since they need metrics to show players were extatic playing newest event and not years paast ...
so say goodbye to all that sweet stocked up trash and say hello to grindastic lagfets that is overFXandoverBLOOMed piece of shit called STO engine and ergonomic UI

entertainment i had from reading forums outrage was exquisite tho ...one regret i had was they shoulda dropped this bomb on friday afternoon and let it grow till monday for maximum effect

Norfleet

My general recommendation for prospective players is still valid: enjoy the ride towards 50+ instead of treating it as an extended tutorial before endgame. In fact, do not expect a real endgame, because aside from bringing your chars reputation/doffing/equipment up to your liking, then spend your time farming spacepotatos so you can buy new shiny boats without spending real moneyz, there isn't much more to do (until some event/feature episode pops up). The Star Trek bonus is what keeps me around.
No, that shit is terrible. It's nearly entire a waste of air and everything you do ends up being wasted effort as you end up having to throw everything out and redo everything from scratch anyway. People who talk like that are buffoons. The proper way to do it is to eschew any and all fun and BUILD MORE FARMS.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Wow, the fleet base is pretty fancy. Also a bit confusing. I was exploring around, and I don't understand how I docked at a space station and left out of a dyson sphere? How the hell did that happen?

Also, are there any expectation of me to do things? I don't have tons of time to play, but I could probably spare a little bit of time to go to whatever the dilithium mines are once a week or so if it helps.

Vaarna_Aarne

You don't need to do anything at all, we've Norfleet has already taken care of the base. All you got to do is get goodies you need for getting stuff you want from the base, and this is where we will be help since you don't want to go buying anything but the finest stuff.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
I noticed everything from the merchants there is pretty high level sexiness. It'll be awhile before I can use any of it, but at least I'll have access to it when I eventually hit Admiral. Is there anything in the base you recommend I should do?

Norfleet

No, there's nothing I would really recommend purchasing at this time. Just...sit on things. I'm hearing rumblings of nerf coming down the pipes. No hurry.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I'm hearing rumblings of nerf coming down the pipes. No hurry.
Could you be a little more specific? I've heard people whining about AMP, but that's probably not what you meant?

I noticed everything from the merchants there is pretty high level sexiness. It'll be awhile before I can use any of it, but at least I'll have access to it when I eventually hit Admiral. Is there anything in the base you recommend I should do?
The good stuffz need uisually 2 things: fleet credits and space potatos. Fleet ships also require fleet ship modules, costing 500 zen or some 10 mio on the exchange each. If you plan on flying one, you should consider buying the c-store version of your prospective ship first (especially if you plan to fly the same ship on another toon), otherwise you have to spend about the same amount of zen in extra fleet modules on top for each toon.

Aquiring space potatos (aka dilithium) should be obvious, since those are needed for everything you will want to have (or just to convert them into zen). Sweet potatos, you can never have enough of them... Build moah farms!

Fleet credits on the other hand are an extra currency for fleet stuff and you will need a LOT of them. To get those you have to contribute to fleet projects, in the way of fleet marks, commodities or common doffs. Since the fleet marks are generally filled first (everyone has tons of them and ninjas that opportunity), your best bet is to stockpile common doffs, those slots stay open for a long time. Always do the recruitment missions and downgrade crappy ones. The shitty 100 doff cap (unless spend zen to extend that) is what usually keeps me from earning FC.

So unless Norfleet's rumors are a massive decline for fleet gear, you will eventually want an elite fleet shield + core for your ship, while using a rep deflector/engine. Fleet tac consoles are very nice to have as well, but their costs are ridiculously high compared to shield/core, so those are more of a long term goal...

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, on those modules only if you don't use EC instead of zen.

EDIT: Also the current situation with the fleet projects being ninja-filled is exactly why I personally advocate mail-order-only project slotting, and to make a mail order you (and optionally other parties interested) MUST fill out the entire thing immediately once it's slotted. Cherry-filled projects are an abomination.

Norfleet

We don't have a ninja-fill problem. I queue those projects up so I can dump shit doffs into them, the exact thing no one else wants to do. Thus we have no ninja problem. I queue the project up so I can have a place to unload surplus shit doffs as I acquire them, and someone else inevitably takes the opportunity to flush their vespene gas. It works. Ninja fill is only a problem for fleets where a project will stall forever because no one will EVER do them. This will not happen here.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
...I'm not sure how to do any of that. I only just got my first group of doffs. I'm pretty low level, yet.

How do I build farms? What are farms? The only place I've gotten dilithium from thus far is from some trivia mini-game at Starfleet Academy.

Or perhaps someone knows of a decent newbie guide they can point me to?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Farms are just KDF(-aligned) toons that are used for marauding doff missions, rewarding contraband (aka catfood) in the process. 5 catfood can be fed to the cat (= turned in at the security officer NPC) for 2000 spacepotatos. Build moah farm just means "make more catfood farming alts". A low effort method of aquiring the dilithium you need.
Better quality doffs come on the road. One of the Cardassian Mission rewards a Vorta and 2 JHs, so don't skip that. Always do "Instigate Defection" DOFF mission and the colony chains. Pretty much all chains actually are rewarding good doffs at the end.
As for guides... uuuh, no idea. Just ask in the channel, norfleet is only offline during maintenance.

Vaarna_Aarne

Farm = Alt that can do duty officer missions well. In addition to Instigate Defection, also always do Negotiate Prisoner Exchange (for KDF, capture Humans only in your brig for this; and Vorta and Jem'Hadar, but those are for a different purpose), and Strike Against Fugitive Network so you can do Exchange Prisoners With The Dominion (though you may want to keep one of those high quality prisoners for assignments like Interrogate Prisoner/Test Telekinetic shit and so on).

I'd say just being able to do the Mine assignments + colonist->gulag + sector space dil mining assignment is enough to qualify IMO.

And yea, just ask in the channel, there's always probably some around. You can cross-reference us if you like, Norfleet is a bit of a jewish djinn when it comes to actually buying something.

Norfleet

Or perhaps someone knows of a decent newbie guide they can point me to?
THere are no "decent newbie guides". Newbie guides are pretty much worthless, written by clueless people who are themselves scrubs, and often obsess over things that are of no importance whatever.

My quick advice however, is that you should pay very little attention to anything Vaarna says. From past experience, Vaarna is a silly person who has no idea what he is doing despite having been around forever, and the less I listened to his "advice", the better I did. Vaarna basically prattles nonsense, whereas large portions of the STO community regard me as either a sage or a raving lunatic, both of which are more or less true to greater or lesser degree.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
As a quick and incomplete "always look for" checklist:

Both alignments:
- do the colony chains in every cluster (rewarding a blue doff at the end and unlocking a rare mission rewarding a purple on crit success), the borg cluster in the upper right has priority!
- always aquire colonists (operations tab)
- deport/relocate colonists (also operations, only if you have enough or finished the colony chains)
- "Strike against fugitive network" (rewards dominion prisoner on crit, can be exchanged for a doff, tactical tab)
- "Conficiate contraband" (personal tab)
- asylum mission (if you have refugees, keep the green one if you are romulard though)
- exchange prisoners
- "Instigate defection" (can hide in the security tab I think)
- pretty much every chain of missions (having x/x numbers behind the name)
- all missions rewarding 50 potatos (or 250)
- the missions at our fleet potato mine
- an ultra rare mission about reclaiming borg drones (medical tab)
- an ultra rare mission "Investigate temporal anolomy"

KDF only:
- Marauding missions. 'nuff said.
- "Forced labor requisiton for xyz" (turn prisoners into potatos)
- "Execute changeling/undine spy" (use a colonist for those)

Romulards had a treasured mission to aquire bridge officers, but it has gone AWOL since S10

A good spot to park your farms later is near DS9, giving you quick access to cat feeding and the "exchange prioners with dominion" mission, as well as the usual marauding missions. I don't think the "forced laber requisition" appears there, so you have to trade them in in stacks of 10 at the NPC if you don't want to cruise around.

On top of that of course take every mission that recruits (mostly white) doffs, in space and at the academy NPCs. Eventually you will replace every white looser with blue and even purple doffs that come along. If you are a fedling you can also hit me up ingame, I have a quite a few unneeded blue DOFFSs stashed away I can send you for a jumpstart.

Edit: cannot into grammar

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

To explain WHY the Borg Cluster (B'Tran) is priority, you gotta know a little about what the purple doffs it gives on repeatable crits DO.

Basically, this is where you get purple quality Technician doffs. These doffs are pivotal to a cruiser cornerstone (also used by some other ships) boff layout: Auxiliary Power To Battery (Aux2Bat). See, when you have three of those Technicians on active space duty, Aux2Bat will effectively double your number of powers, as it readily reduces boff skill cooldown to shared cooldown levels (meaning you only need one of each boff skill). The only boff skill I'd still carry a spare of if space is available is Tactical Team (since you never want that to be out longer than necessary).

Norfleet

On top of that of course take every mission that recruits (mostly white) doffs, in space and at the academy NPCs. Eventually you will replace every white looser with blue and even purple doffs that come along.
Don't bother with this. White doffs are a waste of space, job slots are precious and these things are long, and getting rid of the trash is more bother than it's worth. You're doing a 3-4 day mission to acquire something worth less than 40K EC. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

And by "eventually", you mean "nearly immediately". White doffs should be fed to the base or sold so someone else can feed them to the base. Non-purples should be pureed into white doffs, then see above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom