Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Official Codex Impressions of New Vegas

So what is your opinion of FO:NV?

• I hated FO3's gameplay and design, and I hate NV's.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I didn't play FO3 but I hate NV's gameplay and design.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't mind FO3's gameplay, but story and dialogues sucked. NV is much better.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • FO3 rocked, and NV rocks.

• FO3 is good for what it is and NV is better for what it is.

• FO3 > NV

• Other. Explained in thread.

• KC: "Hybrids" aren't for RPGers. They're for faggy treehuggers. I want to kill the planet

• Total voters
Project: Eternity
I don't think anyone here claimed it's "godlike" so far? Enjoying it, but "godlike"?

Tails

Arbiter
commie said:
What are you on about? Topic is post your impressions, and at the moment this is mine. If it doesn't fit your preconception then who gives a shit? So I'm meant to just say that the game is shit to make you feel better? Christ, even Skyway doesn't beg for such things.
Put that Obsidian fanboy butthurt aside, since I'm not in haters camp of the game, I'm quiet interested about NV, but also I can't ignore how some peoples impression (including yours) is nothing more then typical sucking Obsidian dry like on their official forums. The game could be good, but it has some flaws and silly ideas the atmosphere suffers from, which I'm sure if was done by Bethesda would be automatic un-okey (I can only image what kind of crying we would have here if Caesar's Legion was made by Beth). So far only people few people (like JarlFrank now) posted really worth reading impressions, being osmething else then few silly lines how Obsidian Fallout is great and Bethesda sucks.

Bethesda wasn't bashed for smaller things anyway. Everything they did with their 'Fallout' was a fucking travesty. Obsidian couldn't change everything, but in terms of the world they did just that.
Cheers for proving my point.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I think the consensus so far is: if you can stomach the horribly horrible gamebro engine and everything related to it (so, basically, ignoring the fact that it's still fucking Fallout 3), New Vegas can be entertaining.

I'm afraid I was defeated by the horribly horrible interface (who the fuck thought that PipBoy thing can work as an intuitive menu?! Goddamn) and couldn't play it for longer than... an hour or less so far?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tails said:
(I can only image what kind of crying we would have here if Caesar's Legion was made by Beth).

Yeah, the Legion is one of the "themepark factions" like the Kings. But, even though their style is kinda silly (lol Romans in a postapoc world) their internal structures and agendas make sense and are actually quite awesome. When talking to the Follower doctor guy who is a joinable NPC (forgot his name), I asked him what he thinks of Caesar's Legion and he basically says that Caesar used to be a Follower but after reading lots of Latin texts from the Followers' library decided to create his own cult that tries to make the world better by ahering to the moral principles of the Roman Empire.

And the faction actually *is* rather close to the Roman Empire - at least as close as you can get if you try to reconstruct it from incomplete sources and focusing on the more merciless parts of Roman morality. It's the perfect "guy tries to improve things, but misunderstands the sources of his moral code/is basically just a power hungry fuck who takes old sources as justification".

It's not the most logical faction in the context of the whole setting (lol Roman LARPers in Fallout), but it damn well is internally consistent and well-designed, with a lot of moral grayness - they aren't good, but you can't really call them "evil" either. Far, far above Bethesda's Whiteknights of Steel and Haw-Haw-Evil Enclave.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
FeelTheRads said:
Funny thing is that I don't hate it, (although the little I've seen from it at the beginning was pretty retarded, including magical clothing) I'm pointing out that it's far from being godlike as you try to make it. But sure, every RPG has magical clothing, including Fallout 1 & 2, so there's no problem with it being in NV because NV is a perfect RPG.

Oh dear, the generalizations are flying thick and fast aren't they? I never said it was a perfect RPG or that it's 'godlike'. I've said Obsidian are 'gods' to me for it, but that is in comparison to what they managed when compared to Bethesda with the same tools.
As for magical clothing well YOU mentioned it first as a snarky shot against NV, and yet you now agree that other games had it too! I can easily turn around your criticism and ask you: if it's a problem in NV then why not in other games that you do like?
Truth is that RPG's are always going to have these 'quirky' gamey elements like +1 sword and arbitrary damage values for guns that are 2% more or less worn than others in the same class. 'Magic' clothing in a more 'realistic' setting like Fallout grate more than they do in a high fantasy setting for example, but it's hardly a game breaker, and it can be easily modded out at least in this game unlike in many others.

FeelTheRads said:
Wow, man, congratulations. Just like those Fallout 3 fans crying that not everybody likes it and then claiming boldly that it doesn't affect them in the slightest.

Also, raging impotently? How do you rage potently? Rage kinda implies that there's really nothing you can do about the thing that makes you rage so you just rage. For example, if my intention was for you to not enjoy the game I'd come to your house and scratch your DVD or erase your hard disk. :roll:

Well you 'rage impotently' because you can't do what you would like to do; namely destroy Obsidian, destroy NV, destroy all those that play it etc.

Oh and I just wrote that it doesn't matter if others like this game or not. Far fewer people liked AP yet it didn't make me all sad and weepy cause I enjoyed it. Criticism is fine and I'll gladly join in when it's deserved, but criticising just for the sake of it to try and fill your 'Codex cred' through 'rage against the popamole' is pretty pathetic.

Tails

Arbiter
Good thing to mention is also how was Blackadder & Shannow compared to Skyway and 1eyedking, just for daring to say that first impression people could end up in similar way like in case of Alpha Protocol. FeelTheRads also is hater and worse scum then Skyway because pointing out stupidity which was bashed also in Fallout 3. Small criticize of attitude from my side, surprise! instead of arguments I get bashed in similar way.
Darth Roxor said:
I'm afraid I was defeated by the horribly horrible interface (who the fuck thought that PipBoy thing can work as an intuitive menu?! Goddamn) and couldn't play it for longer than... an hour or less so far?
So you are saying is worse the Arcania? :>

Tails

Arbiter
JarlFrank said:
It's not the most logical faction in the context of the whole setting (lol Roman LARPers in Fallout), but it damn well is internally consistent and well-designed, with a lot of moral grayness - they aren't good, but you can't really call them "evil" either. Far, far above Bethesda's Whiteknights of Steel and Haw-Haw-Evil Enclave.
That's what I was saying in previous topic, Caesar's Legion could be really well designed but it doesn't mean they really fit the Fallout setting. But hey, I'm just a hater anyway, since Khans from Fallout 1 are the same shit, rite?

Btw. can someone tell me how is performance of New Vegas comparing to FO3/Oblivion? My current rig is unable to run Oblivion on any reasonable speed, Fallout 3 worked so-so.

hiver

Tails said:
commie said:
What are you on about? Topic is post your impressions, and at the moment this is mine. If it doesn't fit your preconception then who gives a shit? So I'm meant to just say that the game is shit to make you feel better? Christ, even Skyway doesn't beg for such things.
Put that Obsidian fanboy butthurt aside, since I'm not in haters camp of the game, I'm quiet interested about NV, but also I can't ignore how some peoples impression (including yours) is nothing more then typical sucking Obsidian dry like on their official forums. The game could be good, but it has some flaws and silly ideas the atmosphere suffers from, which I'm sure if was done by Bethesda would be automatic un-okey (I can only image what kind of crying we would have here if Caesar's Legion was made by Beth). So far only people few people (like JarlFrank now) posted really worth reading impressions, being osmething else then few silly lines how Obsidian Fallout is great and Bethesda sucks.

Bethesda wasn't bashed for smaller things anyway. Everything they did with their 'Fallout' was a fucking travesty. Obsidian couldn't change everything, but in terms of the world they did just that.
Cheers for proving my point.
Youre a rabid imbecile whose only argument is based on repeating "if you like new vegas your a Obsidian fanboy" without having played the game or actually understanding what people write about it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tails said:
Btw. can someone tell me how is performance of New Vegas comparing to FO3/Oblivion? My current rig is unable to run Oblivion on any reasonable speed, Fallout 3 worked so-so.

Pretty much the same as FO3. As I said, there's a memory leak that seems to be inherent to the engine since Oblivion and FO3 got it, too, so if your performance breaks down after a prolonged session of gametime, restart the game.

Tails

Arbiter
hiver said:
Youre a rabid imbecile whose only argument is based on repeating "if you like new vegas your a Obsidian fanboy" without having played the game or actually understanding what people write about it.
Of course I Am, since in the same way I bashed JarlFrank impression, rite? I wonder how you get those informations that I don't know nothing about the New Vegas, are you stalking me or something? I read many impressions in various places, watched livestreams/YT videos of other people playing and overall liked so far what Iv'e seen. But you know better then me, rite? Thanks for proving my point again, hiver. It seems Obsidian fanboys are the same cast as Bethesdian ones. God forbid to say anything wrong about Obsidian, you hear me!

FeelTheRads

Arcane
As for magical clothing well YOU mentioned it first as a snarky shot against NV, and yet you now agree that other games had it too! I can easily turn around your criticism and ask you: if it's a problem in NV then why not in other games that you do like?

Huh? That was sarcastic. There was no magical clothing in Fallout 1 & 2.

Also, magical clothing in fantasy = OK. Magical clothing in sci-fi =/= OK. WTF, do I have to explain this?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Tails said:
The game could be good, but it has some flaws and silly ideas the atmosphere suffers from, which I'm sure if was done by Bethesda would be automatic un-okey (I can only image what kind of crying we would have here if Caesar's Legion was made by Beth). So far only people few people (like JarlFrank now) posted really worth reading impressions, being osmething else then few silly lines how Obsidian Fallout is great and Bethesda sucks.

There were shitty groups in FO2 as well, yet I don't see people whining too much about that. Why? The Legion is a bit silly stylistically but in essence they are a fine, believable faction. Beth would rightly be crucified for them because they would make them totally ridiculous. FO3 sucked because of it's retarded content every step of the way.

I also liked Morrowind, so I'm not some Beth hater, but FO3 was fucking awful for the most part, every hour spent on it was a conscious struggle. I've not had that with NV, and it's very surprising.

It's not the mechanics because they are more or less the same(with the expected small improvements), so what could it be? For me it's the MOSTLY coherent world, something which was never there in FO3. Every step of the way in FO3 made me cringe at the stupidity and implausibility of this or that.

I can't really post lengthy explanations why NV is so much better partly because of the spoilers but mostly because it's a matter of taste. If you loathe the mechanics of FO3 and that's your only criteria for making or breaking a game then you'll hate NV.

If you base enjoyment of a Fallout title on the existence of coherence and internal logic of a world that is mostly consistent(so far) with what we got in Fallout, then NV shits on the "theme park wasteland" based at best on the silliest bits of FO2 that Beth vomited out, and should make you very happy indeed.

I didn't really hate the mechanics in FO3, they were serviceable enough, and mods fixed most of the shitty things, but the whole world was generally so loathsome that not even modded mechanics could fix.

In NV, there will be mods to fix the lingering weaknesses of the mechanics, so that's not important for me. The thing is that the basic world IS Fallout, and that's FAR more important for me at least.

Of course there are bits of silliness here and there, but fuck, it doesn't detract from the overall experience in the slightest.

Cheers for proving my point.[/quote]

See a lengthier explanation above.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
FeelTheRads said:

Huh? That was sarcastic. There was no magical clothing in Fallout 1 & 2.

Also, magical clothing in fantasy = OK. Magical clothing in sci-fi =/= OK. WTF, do I have to explain this?

I know there wasn't magical clothing in FO1 or 2. I didn't say there was. Why make shit up?

I also agree that in a 'real world' setting, 'magic clothing' is silly and said it already! Fuck, do you even read what you reply to?

The thing is that it's no more silly than many of the 'perks' or 'traits' that are in FO1 and 2 as well. Why selectively rage against one 'silly' thing and not against another?

Oh, that's right, you're just a hator!

Tails

Arbiter
commie said:
There were shitty groups in FO2 as well, yet I don't see people whining too much about that. Why?
They were bashed before on Codex before I guess and many places (I did that myself too), the game was just disappointing as a sequel in many ways. Codex didn't have a Fallout 2 topic lately or even for a longer time, can't remember exactly.
The Legion is a bit silly stylistically but in essence they are a fine, believable faction.
Yeah, they look fine as a faction but I wouldn't say they fit Fallout universe, as did New Reno (which is well designed also) and other silliness of Fallout 2. I don't mind the Space rockets ghouls though ;)
<impressions>
Well now we got something, thanks for sharing. I'm taking back what I said on bottom.

In NV, there will be mods to fix the lingering weaknesses of the mechanics, so that's not important for me. The thing is that the basic world IS Fallout, and that's FAR more important for me at least.
Fallout 3 mechanics weren't fixed to this day, I rather doubt the same will happen to NV. It's easier to make totally idiotic nude mods after all, heh.

Of course there are bits of silliness here and there, but fuck, it doesn't detract from the overall experience in the slightest.
But you still call it true Fallout game? after what I've seen I wouldn't for the lack of T-B Combat at least, and overall too far Atmosphere from the first game.

FeelTheRads said:
Also, raging impotently? How do you rage potently? Rage kinda implies that there's really nothing you can do about the thing that makes you rage so you just rage. For example, if my intention was for you to not enjoy the game I'd come to your house and scratch your DVD or erase your hard disk. :roll:

Well, if you were gonna enter his house and ruin his shit, I'd expect you to be enraged, no? Or is that just something you do when you're having a walk

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Tails said:
Yeah, they look fine as a faction but I wouldn't say they fit Fallout universe, as did New Reno (which is well designed also) and other silliness of Fallout 2. I don't mind the Space rockets ghouls though ;)

Yeah, well I wonder if it was just to make the Legion look more distinctive. It grates a bit, indeed. Maybe if they just wore armor BOS style or something to set them apart? I'd imagine Nazi-type uniforms before Roman ones, but that would also make them look too banal I guess.

Space Rockets are indeed cool.

Fallout 3 mechanics weren't fixed to this day, I rather doubt the same will happen to NV. It's easier to make totally idiotic nude mods after all, heh.

Yeah, also true, but they were made more tolerable with all the mods and NV at least tweaked it a bit more, making melee playable for example(Maybe mods did this too for FO3 but I only really bothered with FWE and MMM). I don't think there's much that could be done with this engine so I can't be all that critical of Obsidian for not getting blood out of a stone. I wasn't all that critical of Beth either, as VATS had enough potential for example, just that through shitty implementation it was a God Mode originally.

But you still call it true Fallout game? after what I've seen I wouldn't for the lack of T-B Combat at least, and overall too far Atmosphere from the first game.

Hmm, well I wrote somewhere else that the lack of TB AND isometric(I can't leave out isometric or third person, as how else could you do TB?), makes it a totally different experience in terms of mechanics. Maybe this would be enough to disqualify it as a 'Fallout' game on such grounds, but honestly I cannot do that. The reason is that for me, it still FEELS like Fallout...ok, maybe it borders on Fallout 2 in places(the sillier parts), but taking into account the FPS view and all the other stuff, well it just has this strange familiarity to it(not the familiarity with FO3 :)), the villages, the settlements, the interlinked world....Look, it's not Fallout as we've always considered and maybe for you the Shitbryo and the mechanics are too much an obstacle to look beyond. A strange thing happened to me though: after the first few hours where I was still conscious of it being a 'FO3 mod' I just forgot about it and it BECAME Fallout...I just would visit this place or that and remember places in FO1 and 2 that reminded me of them, and not in a 'shit, this was better back then, hurr' kind of way, but in a 'smile to myself and think 'yeah' while nodding in approval' way. He he he...don't know how else to explain.

bonescraper

I like love New Vegas and all, but... it's fucking huge. Almost too big. There are so many places to go, so many quests to do (marked and unmarked) and so many ways to accomplish them, it's just fucking overwhelming. I don't know if the Mojave area is bigger than the one in FO3, but it definitely feels like it. It's not square so it's hard to tell, but it feels at least two times bigger.

The companions and their perks are great. Initially i thought those perks are a bad idea, but they actually make a difference. I'm a stealthy sniper so i chose ED-E for his Enhanced Sensors perk and Boone (he's a NCR sniper) for his Spotter perk. They are pretty useful and their perks actually make sense. Oh, and your companions have their own personalities, secrets and quests this time, but they're far from what you see in your typical Bioware game. And that's a huge plus. They're not annoying and they're not romancable.
:incline:

I've spent about 50 hours in the Mojave desert so far and i feel like i've seen only a half of the game. I have absolutely no fucking idea how Obsidian managed to make such a big game in such short time. Even with inherited assets. No major bugs so far, and 2 CTDs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom