Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Of demons, goddesses, and dark spires. Let's play Ys Origin!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Here we go, reposting the last update in better quality, with a couple of additional battle screenshots.

2: Yunica: Introduction

In which our heroine engages in tree diplomacy, enters the dark spire, and lots of blah blah plus some basic fighting ensues.

yunica_sad.png
We must have fallen to the surface... I wonder what happened? I remember a really big impact or something...

02origin323.jpg

yunica_surprised.png
What's that...?

02origin324.jpg

The camera descends to show a majestic tree.

02origin326.jpg

Yunica runs up to it.

02origin329.jpg

And the tree starts talking back.

So you're finally awake...

02origin330.jpg

yunica_laughing.png
My name's Yunica Tovah!

In Hebrew, "tova(h)" means "good", "calm". Which means our heroine is called Yunica the Good. Good in the eyes of the Goddesses, no doubt.

02origin331.jpg

yunica_cheerful.png
W-well, yeah... But I'm no good at magic at all. ... You're the elder Roda tree, right? Is your little brother okay, too?

Yes, he is all right...

It grows exceedingly boring... with only him to talk to...

yunica_playful.png
Haha... you still love to talk, don't you? I've been worried about you two ever since the Shrine was raised.

The power of the Goddesses keeps us alive and healthy...

These noxious fumes will not sever our bond with them so easily...

02origin332.jpg

When was it...? I recently saw a man, alone and surrounded by demons...

yunica_sad.png
...!!

Was he also of your line...?

02origin333.jpg

yunica_pensive.png
He... he stayed behind to buy time for the raising ritual to work... My grandpa says there's no way he could still be alive...

He was engulfed in that haze and disappeared...

I did not witness his death... but I do not doubt his fate...

yunica_pensive.png
Oh... I see...

yunica_eyesclosed.png

yunica_resolved.png
...O...okay! If that's true, then I just have to try even harder!

02origin334.jpg

yunica_sad.png
Yes, we came to search for Lady Reah and Lady Feena. The two of them vanished from the Shrine a few days ago...

Ah... the Goddesses. I saw them... about three days ago...

yunica_surprised.png
Wha... you have?!

yunica_sad.png
So it's just like the Reverend said... Where did they go?

They are likely in that tower, at the foot of Mt. Prosis...

You'll find the loathsome thing near Solomon Shrine...

The camera pans out, and we are presented with my favourite image in the game so far:

02origin337.jpg

Though it is faint, I sense the Goddesses' essence there...

yunica_astonished.png
...Oh, no...

yunica_resolved.png
But... why didn't you stop them?

I assumed they had business there...

Perhaps I should have tried... you think?

02origin342.jpg

Hm, I sense others near there, as well...

I would imagine... they are your companions...

yunica_surprised.png
Huh... I wonder who's there...

(Shouldn't Yunica, like, know who she descended down here with? :?)

You are going?

yunica_resolved.png
Yes... I need to meet up with everyone again, so we can bring the Goddesses back...

02origin344.jpg

...The... world outside...

yunica_astonished.png
Your voice...

yunica_sad.png
That poison around here must be getting stronger... I don't understand magic, so I don't really get it...

yunica_resolved.png
Lady Reah... Lady Feena...

With that, Yunica runs off in the direction of the dark tower, the screen fades to black, and another cutscene kicks in, introducing the Darm Tower.

02origin081.jpg

02origin084.jpg

We witness the ruined landscape again.

02origin087.jpg

02origin093.jpg

02origin094.jpg

Smoke, lightning, and fallen stones. Sure is dangerous around here.

02origin096.jpg

A raven takes off the cliff.

02origin099.jpg

02origin106.jpg

02origin107.jpg

Flying to and around the spire with its brethren.

02origin110.jpg

02origin113.jpg

02origin120.jpg

The tower is huge. Hopefully that means a lot of dungeon crawling!

02origin125.jpg

02origin350.jpg

The cutscene ends, and we are back with Yunica, who's already made it to the entrance.

yunica_resolved.png

02origin352.jpg

yunica_surprised.png
Oh...!

The camera moves forward, focusing on a group of three characters surrounded by a number of horned demons. They must be the ones the elder tree mentioned.

02origin354.jpg

syon_neutral.png
If only the knights and sorcerors were with us...

(Which is meant to remind us the rescue group was scattered.)

dino_agitated.png
I'm trying to maintain the barrier... I just hope it holds!

eolia_neutral.png
If we open it a little, maybe you can strike through the gap. Reverend...!

(So Syon is the Reverend Yunica spoke of earlier. No wonder, with a name like that.)

syon_neutral.png
...It would seem that there is no other way.

Suddenly, the Reverend notices Yunica.

02origin357.jpg

yunica_eager.png
Yunica Tovah, apprentice knight! I'm here to provide assistance, sir!

Now that's the spirit.
It doesn't look like the Reverend expected to see our heroine here, though.

syon_kind.png
Thanks for the help! We will handle the demons over here! You take care of the ones near you!

yunica_resolved.png
Understood!

syon_neutral.png
Dino? Eolia? Now is the time!

eolia_kind.png
Yes, sir...

dino_cheerful.png
Yes, sir!

And we are left to face three demons.

02origin359.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
I hope you're ready to pay for that!

Tutorial battle, hey!

02origin360.jpg

The game is nice enough to explain the basic attacks to us: basic physical strike, jump slash (attack while ascending), downward thrust (attack while descending), upward thrust (attack while keeping the jump button pressed and ascending), and special DEF-lowering attack (attack right after pressing and releasing a direction button or double-clicking).

This is a tutorial battle, and so the demons are really slow. We're playing on Hard, however, so even their frontal strikes deal 10 points of damage each:

02origin361.jpg

One thing I must tell you, is that it isn't easy fighting in real-time (on Hard) and taking screenshots...

02origin385.jpg

We mostly use downward and upward thrusts, as well as the special DEF-lowering attack (pictured above), smashing the demons to pieces.

02origin376.jpg

Another group of demons appear.

02origin378.jpg

And we are presented with another tutorial, this time dealing with Boost Gauge:

02origin379.jpg

We deal with the demons easily:

02origin389.jpg

As I said, the starting enemies are slow, just so you could get somewhat used to the controls, which are very intuitive, I think.

02origin393.jpg

syon_kind.png
It looks like you've acquitted yourself admirably.

yunica_cheerful.png
Reverend... and, um... I don't think I know these folks with you...

02origin394.jpg

dino_cheerful.png
I'm Dino, acolyte of Solomon Shrine.

eolia_kind.png
And I am Eolia... also an acolyte.

02origin395.jpg

dino_agitated.png
Tovah... then you must be Commander Saul's daughter, right...?

yunica_cheerful.png
Yes, that's right.

dino_cheerful.png
Well, it's no surprise that you're so brave in combat, then. If we tried to swing a battle axe like yours, we'd probably wind up killing ourselves.

(Yup, our heroine's a true knight sis.)

02origin396.jpg

dino_agitated.png
Ahh, I see...

syon_kind.png
She volunteered to be a member of the search party. So, let us fulfill Saul's last wish, and bring the Goddesses safely back to the Shrine.

yunica_playful.png
Thank you... so much, Reverend.

(So let me get this straight: Yunica did volunteer to be a part of the rescue party, but it didn't seem like the Reverend expected her at first, so she probably wasn't taken on board and went along by herself, right? That would explain why she's so thankful to the Reverend now.)

yunica_playful.png
By the way... have the other knights and the sorcerors not arrived yet?

eolia_neutral.png
No, unfortunately not... Just as we were preparing to land, we had some kind of interference.

(You saw that in the intro.)

yunica_astonished.png
So that was the impact we felt...?

dino_neutral.png
Yes... and it caused to lose control of the transport shell. I'm pretty sure that everyone was scattered and thrown to the surface. We were all encased in multiple protection spells, so everyone should have landed safely...

eolia_neutral.png
We're fairly certain that the interference came from this tower.

(You remember the sorcerer atop the tower in the intro, don't you?)

eolia_neutral.png
And so here we are...

syon_kind.png
On that note, Miss Yunica, what brings you to this place by yourself?

yunica_sad.png
Uh, well...

02origin397.jpg

Yunica tells the others what she learned from the tree.

dino_agitated.png
Is... is that true?

eolia_agitated.png
Why would they come to such a dreadful place...?

dino_neutral.png
I can't even begin to imagine... Reverend, we must find them quickly!

syon_neutral.png
Yes, you are correct. It is obvious that we need to search the tower thoroughly, but we are sorely lacking in manpower at the moment.

(How 'bout some womanpower, then? :roll:)

syon_neutral.png
We need to reassemble the search party before we can begin in earnest.

dino_agitated.png
Y-yes, sir...

syon_neutral.png
Would you please attend to this task, Dino?

dino_neutral.png
I will, sir. I'll use the Roda Trees as central points to search from, with another transport spell.

With that, Dino leaves.

02origin398.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
S-sir?

syon_kind.png
I do not wish to see you suffer the same fate as your father. Would you please wait here with us, until the other squad members are found?

(You kidding, right?)

yunica_sad.png
Oh... yes, sir...

yunica_sad.png

syon_kind.png
What's wrong?

yunica_sad.png
Um... Would it be okay if I just started searching around nearby? I don't want to get in anyone's way, and I could stand to get some more real combat experience.

yunica_pensive.png
I can't use magic, and I'm still only a knight's apprentice...

syon_neutral.png
Hmm... well, I understand how you feel...

yunica_sad.png
Maybe... maybe I can gather some information about the tower in the process. So... please, sir!

syon_eyesclosed.png
...Very well. I will explain the situation to Captain Galleon when he arrives.

yunica_happy.png
Re... really?

syon_kind.png
Yes, but in exchange, you must take this with you.

02origin399.jpg

yunica_astonished.png
What's this?

syon_kind.png
Come over here, please.

02origin401.jpg

syon_kind.png
Well, just observe.

02origin402.jpg

02origin404.jpg

02origin406.jpg

yunica_surprised.png
Wow... it turned into a Goddess statue!

syon_neutral.png
In a manner of speaking... but it would be more aptly put to say it has been restored to its true form. It seems that all of the Goddess statues left on the surface have undergone such a transformation.

(Spooky!)

syon_neutral.png
I only wish I knew the reason why...

yunica_sad.png
I... I see...

yunica_eyesclosed.png
I'm sorry that I said that an image of the Goddesses was ghastly...

syon_kind.png
There is the possibility that more of these statues have been brought to the tower. You should be able to use that Crystal to purify them, just as I have done with this one.

yunica_cheerful.png
I understand... So I should be able to obtain the Goddesses' blessings, even inside the tower.

(As you may have guessed already, the statues, scattered around the place, serve as checkpoints where you can save and receive healing.)

syon_kind.png
Yes, but there is more to tell. That Crystal has the power to instantly teleport you to any purified Goddess statue.

(That should come in handy.)

syon_kind.png
I hope it will prove useful in your search.

yunica_laughing.png
I'm sure it will... thank you very much, sir!

eolia_kind.png
Take this as well, Miss Yunica.

02origin407.jpg

yunica_cheerful.png
A shell...?

eolia_kind.png
Yes... it is a magical item to enable long-distance communication. With it, you'll be able to maintain contact with us, even when we're separated. If you should happen across anything unusual, please use it to get in touch with me.

yunica_playful.png
All right... I'll do that.

yunica_sad.png
Oh, and by the way, Reverend? You too, Miss Eolia...

eolia_kind.png
What is it?

yunica_sad.png
I... I know I wasn't originally intended to be part of the search party... and it was selfish of me to try and worm my way into the group...

yunica_resolved.png
...but I feel like I have to help... even though I know I'll never measure up to my father's example. Thank you for allowing me to be here!

eolia_kind.png
Haha... oh, it's nothing you need to concern yourself over.

syon_kind.png
We will be here, so come back to see us if you learn anything useful. And use the Crystal if you find yourself in trouble.

02origin408.jpg

Next time: dungeon crawling begins!

lightbane

Arcane
So, she wants to be a knight to protect a freaking Goddess and yet she doesn't know anything at all about magic? Oh well, at least she doesn't seem to use oversized weapons nor chainmail bikini, good for her.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
lightbane said:
So, she wants to be a knight to protect a freaking Goddes and yet she doesn't know anything at all about magic?

She might know about it. She just can't use it (for some arbitrary reason).

Oh well, at least she doesn't seem to use oversized weapons nor chainmail bikini, good for her.

Pretty much :incline: from the very start.

@Bee
You really needn't have reposted the whole first update just for better image quality. Anyways, carry on :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Breaking news: I've just recorded a short gameplay video for you to get a taste of how this game looks in action. (Bear in mind that this is still a very early stage of the game, so nothing really exciting happens here.) I simply loaded my last save and started from there, without retries/reloads -- it's still the first level of the dungeon, so things have been fairly easy so far. I'm playing on Hard, but I haven't yet really mastered all the combat options. I thought maybe I'd be able to do a no-hit vid and started out playing carefully, but got a bit carried away by my new Whirlwind ability and then it struck me I'm too lazy for that kind of thing anyway, so I took a couple of hits in the end. Oh, and I only recorded two minutes of gameplay so it wouldn't get boring to watch. I plan on doing videos for boss fights -- maybe, if I don't suck too much.

Anyway, here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl5nvGnh3xU

Think of it as a teaser for the next update, which will most probably come in a couple of days.

Crooked Bee

Patron
3: The Roo

In which we face more demons, as well as yellow knights and evil shamans, and fail our lore check in an encounter with a sacred kangaroo animal.

03origin003.jpg

Now that we've gained control over Yunica, we can choose to chat with Eolia a bit.

eolia_kind.png
I will aid in looking for the others. If you need advice on anything, please get in touch with me. I will try to help as best I can.

03origin024.jpg

Ask about the Lila Shell

eolia_kind.png
Just use the Lila Shell to reach me. I'll always be available. If anything troubles or confuses you in your search, just let me know.

That's basically a built-in hint device (or a mobile phone :roll:).

03origin023.jpg

Ask about the Crystals

eolia_kind.png
The Crystals were created by Priest Dabbie combining his power over light with Priest Hadal's power over earth. Its power will enable you to purify any cursed Goddess statues you find in the tower. The statues will heal your wounds when you touch them, and may also confer their divine blessing upon you. Also, you can use the Crystal to teleport to any purified Goddess statue. Should you find yourself in mortal danger, it would be best to escape to safety.

Ask about the Goddess statues' blessings

eolia_kind.png
You can also make an offering of fragments of spiritual power (SP) to the statues and receive many kinds of divine protection. The demons are apt to drop these fragments, so be certain to pick them up.

Spiritual Power is this game's currency. Personally, I like the idea of trading in spiritual power. We'll be sure to try the blessings out at some point.

We can also interact with Syon.

syon_neutral.png
Since the demons built this tower, there's no way of knowing what awaits us here. If you feel you're in danger, use the Crystal to return to us.

The in-game manual has a few basic entries unlocked, including the one on consumables:

03origin028.jpg

Stat-enhancing items are cool, but they're only effective for a short amount of time.

03origin029.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
I have to look for them.

We can try leaving the tower, but naturally the game won't let us.

So we ascend the stairs and begin the dungeon crawling.
:incline:

03origin033.jpg

The first dungeon is called The Wailing Blue, 'cause it's, you know, blue!

03origin037.jpg

It has lots of demons and some shooting thingies.

03origin042.jpg

We only seem to have one weapon at the moment -- the axe.

03origin044.jpg

Some chests are enemy-locked: they only become available once we've defeated the red-glowing enemy (or group of enemies).

03origin050.jpg

Inside the chest, we obtain a consumable: Celceta Medicine. The description says it "raises maximum HP", but I don't know if that's permanent or temporary, so I guess we'd better save it for later.

We head east, bash some more demons, and reach the next section of the dungeon.

03origin073.jpg

There's a group of three red-glowing enemies in here, which we must defeat to unlock the magic chest.

03origin076.jpg

They stand no chance, and we're free to open the chest.

03origin081.jpg

yunica_astonished.png
Wow... this looks like an artifact from Ys. Why would the demons have it...?

Power begins to flow outward...

The Wing has conferred upon Yunica the magical skill of Whirlwind.

We unlock our first skill, Whirlwind!

03origin085.jpg

We get a tutorial on skills, learning they can be used for some non-combat puzzle-solving situations; cool.

03origin086.jpg

As well as one on Whirlwind; looks fancy.

yunica_surprised.png
Whoa! It gave me new powers...?

yunica_laughing.png
It's not really magic like the sorcerors cast, but I guess it'll be pretty useful. I'll have to test it out!

Oh, we'll be sure to.

03origin097.jpg

As we ascend the stairs, we meet the new kind of enemy -- yellow knights. These can be deadly, at least on Hard and until we gain a couple more levels, especially if you let them hit you too many times, which you shouldn't. Ideally, they shouldn't hit you at all. Still, they have that nasty Charge ability they tend to use sometimes, which you should beware. They're also faster than regular demons and tend to attack in groups, as we're going to witness a bit later.

03origin101.jpg

Hmm, a room with demons and some kind of platforms.

We exterminate the demons and climb the large stairs to the northeast.

03origin105.jpg

Then we hop from cube to cube in order to push that really attractive button above, just begging to be pushed.

03origin109.jpg

The platforms ascend into the air, and we can now reach---

03origin110.jpg

--oh well, almost. The final gap is too wide to simply jump over it. And this is where we should use our freshly learned Whirlwind skill.

03origin245.jpg

:thumbsup:

03origin255.jpg

Behind the door, there are lots of demons, yellow knights, and things shooting beams at us. Taking screens is a pain in the butt.

03origin265.jpg

We pick up a Max HP boost here; looks like it's permanent.

03origin268.jpg

Yunica ascends the stairs, when SUDDENLY

03origin273.jpg

yunica_surprised.png
Wh-what the...?!

It's a trap!

03origin276.jpg

Yunica gets sucked into the red smoke pillar, and the screen fades to black.

03origin278.jpg

yunica_owww.png
Where am I...?

yunica_astonished.png
It looks like a different room entirely...

yunica_resolved.png
I guess that weird magic thing must have teleported me here. Guess I really should've been expecting the demons to lay traps...

Yeah, demons are cunning like that.

03origin285.jpg

Since we've found ourselves in a room with a cursed Goddess statue; naturally, the first thing we do is purify it.
The save game description tells us we're on 4F now, whoa.

03origin120.jpg

Atop the stairs is some kind of contraption. It seems to be missing a crest, so I guess we're supposed to find one. Let's get onto that.

03origin121.jpg

Here comes the section I showed off in the video I already posted. Here it is:

Ys Origin gameplay video #1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl5nvGnh3xU

In here, there are new enemies -- shamans, throwing weird magic disk thingies at us:

03origin124.jpg

They're really slow, though, and therefore aren't much of a threat... until they start attacking us in groups, backed up by those beam-shooting devices. Ugh.

03origin133.jpg

Hey, we're level 4 already.

We find another button, push it, and a platform appears:

03origin142.jpg

It allows us to access a chest with a Roda Fruit:

03origin144.jpg

We're going to need one really soon.

03origin149.jpg

Hmm, an intersection. First we head to the left.

03origin154.jpg

This is a really funny jumping device: step onto the circle, and you immediately soar up high into the air. Like a bird!
:thumbsup:

03origin159.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

Whirlwind skill has been strengthened.

Turns out it's a skill jewel.

03origin161.jpg

Our Whirlwind skill is lvl2 now.

03origin163.jpg

Hey, another button to push!

03origin168.jpg

And the hitherto closed off path is now open!

03origin171.jpg

A bit of running... no enemies in sight.

03origin176.jpg

Hey, it's a crest! Just what we've been looking for. :D

03origin178.jpg

Huh?

03origin183.jpg

A little fluffy demon (?) appears!

yunica_astonished.png
You look kinda like a demon, but there's something different about you...

yunica_surprised.png
Oh, I know... are you one of the sacred animals? You're a Roo, right?

(So it's like a kangaroo without the kango.)

yunica_sad.png
My grandpa told me about you little guys. Those vapors outside turned you into demons.

03origin190.jpg

03origin191.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
S-so... what am I supposed to do now? I'll bet Priest Gemma would be able to understand you...

03origin195.jpg

03origin196.jpg

yunica_playful.png
I'm sorry... I don't know how to help you. House Tovah doesn't even have the ability to speak with demons...

(Oh my, we chose to play as a really clueless character, didn't we? Well, at least it's a break from the usual super-duper good-at-everything kind of hero...)

03origin199.jpg

yunica_cheerful.png
...Ah-ha. Are you hungry?

03origin201.jpg

03origin202.jpg

The Roo jumps happily.

yunica_laughing.png
Yep, I guess I was right.

yunica_cheerful.png
Hmm... would you like this?

03origin210.jpg

We give the animal the Roda fruit we found earlier. Because why not?

03origin212.jpg

03origin214.jpg

03origin215.jpg

That makes no sense. :(

03origin217.jpg

SUDDENLY

03origin220.jpg

Yunica's axe gained greater attack power.

The Roo has upgraded Yunica's axe!

03origin226.jpg

yunica_surprised.png
Oh, cool...

yunica_laughing.png
Haha! I never would've guessed you could do that.

03origin230.jpg

yunica_laughing.png
Thank you!

There seems to be nothing else we can do here, so we go back to the Goddess statue.

03origin238.jpg

Time to put that crest to use...

Next time: our first boss battle! I'm so excited!

spekkio

Arcane
That looks damn sweet.

Except kawaii fluffy monster and distinct lack of rape (so far).

Oh well, no game except DA2 and ARMA is perfect, I guess...

:salute:

lightbane

Arcane
(Oh my, we chose to play as a really clueless character, didn't we? Well, at least it's a break from the usual super-duper good-at-everything kind of hero...)

What?? I'm think you're mistaken, lately too many (j)rpg heroes are clueless dumbfucks, or even worse: angsty emo-faggots that pretend to be good at everything but instead constantly commit even worse mistakes (example: Squall Emo-heart). So, nowadays it's a surprise when a character is supposed to be a professional and *actually* behaves as one (such as Radiant Historia's Stocke). And silent main characters don't count, they don't have any personality at all.

In any case, continue it :love:

PS: What happened with the other princess?? The one that wanted to conquer the world?? :M

Crooked Bee

Patron
^ That's a classic, true dat.

lightbane said:
PS: What happened with the other princess?? The one that wanted to conquer the world??

She's on vacation! Sorta. We'll get back to her in due time.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Hey, you know what, I even managed to record a boss fight video for this update! So that all of you can see just how much I suck at action games!

4: Winged Demon, or, Searching for the search party

In which we meet a highly mysterious and no less suspicious couple and defeat a scary winged demon. Also, bats!

Time to put that Blue Moon Crest we found to good use.

05origin003.jpg

A trapdoor opens:

05origin007.jpg

And we jump right in!

05origin010.jpg

We land on some kind of platform; the only way to proceed from here is north, so north we go. When suddenly...

05origin013.jpg

yunica_astonished.png
Huh...?

05origin016.jpg

Yunica spots two person on the other side of the room.

05origin018.jpg

proudgirl_neutral.png
Bah. Well, he's good at runnin' away, anyhow. I doubt he coulda gotten far, though.

strongman_eyesclosed.png
Sorry, but I've lost what little interest I had. I don't see much point in chasing after some sorry excuse for a sorceror who breaks ranks at the first sign of trouble.

05origin023.jpg

yunica_happy.png
E-excuse me...

05origin025.jpg

yunica_cheerful.png
You two aren't members of the search party, are you?

05origin031.jpg

proudgirl_cheerful.png
...Oh, brother.

strongman_cheerful.png
Heh...

proudgirl_laughing.png
Haha! That's pretty damn funny! Check out the dumpy little girl mouthin' off!

yunica_surprised.png
D... dumpy?

strongman_neutral.png
Who are you, girl? Are you a friend of that sorceror?

yunica_resolved.png
Sorceror...? My name's Yunica Tovah. I'm an apprentice Holy Knight!

strongman_neutral.png
Yunica... Tovah?

05origin046.jpg

proudgirl_humorous.png
Ys must be pretty short on decent folk, huh?

yunica_resolved.png
Just... just who are you two?

yunica_astonished.png
You weren't left behind on the surface when the shrine was raised, were you...?

05origin050.jpg

proudgirl_laughing.png
Yeah, she probably ain't worth botherin' with.

proudgirl_cheerful.png
Hey, maybe we oughta try out one of those demons that Zava let us use.

strongman_neutral.png
It doesn't matter to me.

yunica_resolved.png
What... what are you talking about?

05origin056.jpg

strongman_neutral.png
It's just business.

yunica_surprised.png
The Goddesses... you mean Lady Reah and Lady Feena?!

yunica_angry.png
Wh-what are you thinking...

proudgirl_humorous.png
Heh... okay, enough talking.

05origin061.jpg

The girl starts casting some kind of nasty spell:

05origin066.jpg

05origin067.jpg

And an evil-looking flying monster appears!

yunica_surprised.png
A... a demon?!

proudgirl_humorous.png
Say bye-bye, y'dumb hick.

The girl walks away. The strong-looking man stays there for a moment...

strongman_neutral.png

...and then walks away as well.

05origin080.jpg

Which means, our first boss battle begins here!

This boss is fairly easy even on Hard; I beat him on my second try, as soon as I figured out his pattern of attacks and the required timing.
I've recorded a video of this fight; you can find the link below, at the end of the update. First, here's a screenshot version.

05origin081.jpg

The first thing the demon does is transform into a pack of bats who pursue Yunica, trying to bite her from behind. (There was a similar boss in Ys I, but less advanced, as we're going to witness when the demon enters his second phase.) You can't hurt the boss when he's in his bat form, only when back in the demon form. Which means a lot of running away from the bloody bats, made harder by other tricks the demon has in his disposal. The bats tend to fly in Yunica's direction first and chase her around the screen a bit, then head off to somewhere to transform back into the demon -- who stays motionless, and vulnerable, for a few second before launching his extremely powerful claw strike if Yunica remains too close to him (hence the importance of being careful, especially on Hard, where a claw attack hits for 28 HP), or a wall of fire or some purple beams if she is already far away by then. Sometimes, however, the bats suddenly start glowing and pursuing Yunica instead of transforming back into the monster form; shit is sudden and scary! That also means we shouldn't be running up close to the monster before he takes back his demonic appearance, or else he might change his mind and some sudden bat-hurt would ensue.

05origin084.jpg

We start off with lowering the demon's Defense with Yunica's special attack.

05origin090.jpg

Regular attacks are good in that they let us build up our Boost Gauge faster.

05origin087.jpg

Whirlwind is faster, but it doesn't seem to deal more damage than regular strikes overall.

05origin093.jpg

It does, however, allow us to quicker jump away from the demon using the jump + skill combo, which is really useful given the demon's incredibly long reach and the importance of timing.

05origin094.jpg

Sometimes, one of the bats gets separated from the group to, well, pursue Yunica separately. Horrible creatures. We try to avoid them best we can.

05origin085.jpg

The demon breathes fire at us, which lingers on the battlefield for some time.

Everything goes swift and nice and predictable until the demon is at half HP. When that happens, the boss fight enters into its second phase.

05origin095.jpg

Then, the bats divide themselves into two groups to pursue Yunica separately.

05origin097.jpg

Furthermore, each group turns into the demon form on its own! We are now facing two demons instead of just one, each of them doing nasty things to Yunica, as well as two bat packs. Good thing we can hurt either of the two demons.
Also, surprise bat-sex!

05origin101.jpg

Now we must manoeuvre around the room trying to hit one of the demons while avoiding being hit by the other one.

05origin108.jpg

Naturally, we must also avoid the walls of fire, more frequent now.

05origin105.jpg

Another mean thing the demon can do is let out some nasty purple beams, covering a pretty wide area.

05origin109.jpg

At one point I get too careless and impatient and make a horrible timing mistake! I get a bit carried away with hacking at the demon, and the evil foe claws Yunica for whopping 28 points of damage. Stand up and fight, sis!

05origin111.jpg

Hell yeah, we prevail! That wasn't as hard as I expected, but that was only the first boss fight.

05origin112.jpg

Fireworks!
The battle finished, Yunica stays pensive for a moment.

05origin114.jpg

yunica_sad.png
But who in the world were those two? And why would they be hanging around with demons? Plus, why would they want to capture Lady Reah and Lady Feena...?

It is a mystery for sure!
And here's the video of the first boss fight:

Ys Origin gameplay video #2: Summoned Winged Demon boss fight:: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqZBwF5PVac

Next time: more crawling!

Mrowak

Arcane
Well done Bee. You surely are up to the task :salute:

Quite a fun little game from what I see. I will probably not remove it from inventory just to test it out.

The boss battle, seemed a little bit too static to my tastes, though - but you usually get that in initial stages. However, to its credit, it seemed that if you get too cocky, you can easily die.

Carry on, noble Bee!

spekkio

Arcane
Fucking female summoners!
whdDn.gif

Game looks great, I have to give it a try sometime. :(

Crooked Bee

Patron
So who of you guys is posing as Andhaira on Youtube?

Andhaira said:
AWESOME! Thanks for bringing my attention to this Crooked Bee. I have always wanted to play a Y's game, either on console or otherwise. Since this is in english and for the pc and relatively recent, it should not be too hard to track it down. Will definately give it a shot.

Oh and btw: What's your bra size?

:lol:

riptide

Scholar
Is it normal that the in-game options menu and text in the intro movie remain Japanese even after the english patch?

Crooked Bee

Patron
No, it's not. You're messing up the installation in some way.

The most obvious catch would be... you're running the game from config, right? In that case, renaming the currect YSO_WIN.exe (Japanese) to something like YSO_WINold.exe and YSO_WINnew.exe (English version) to YSO_WIN.exe may help, since config.exe launches YSO_WIN.exe.

If that doesn't help, a minimal (i.e., without the most recent patches) clean installation should:

1. Install the game (say, to "...\FALCOM\") -- if you have the original disk, it should install the 1.000 version (to check, right-click YSO_WIN.exe and check its properties)
2. Open the extra disk folder
3. Copy everything in the extra disk folder over to YS Origin install folder (NB: make sure to copy it over to the YSO_WIN subdir, so that the relevant files get overwritten -- it should update the exe to 1.100 and add the data_1100.na archive)
4. Install the English translation -- again, make sure to choose the YSO_WIN subdir as destination folder
5. Play the game (the above renaming may be required)

If all that doesn't help, refer to this thread: http://www.seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=yso&action=print&thread=5939 and scroll down to doppiapunta's post (just bear in mind he means "extra disk" whenever he says "data disk").

Hope that helps.

Mrowak

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
No, it's not. You're messing up the installation in some way.

The most obvious catch would be... you're running the game from config, right? In that case, renaming the currect YSO_WIN.exe (Japanese) to something like YSO_WINold.exe and YSO_WINnew.exe (English version) to YSO_WIN.exe may help, since config.exe launches YSO_WIN.exe.

If that doesn't help, a minimal (i.e., without the most recent patches) clean installation should:

1. Install the game (say, to "...\FALCOM") -- if you have the original disk, it should install the 1.000 version (to check, right-click YSO_WIN.exe and check its properties)
2. Open the extra disk folder
3. Copy everything in the extra disk folder over to YS Origin install folder (NB: make sure to copy it over to the YSO_WIN subdir, so that the relevant files get overwritten -- it should update the exe to 1.100 and add the data_1100.na archive)
4. Install the English translation -- again, make sure to choose the YSO_WIN subdir as destination folder
5. Play the game (the above renaming may be required)

If all that doesn't help, refer to this thread: http://www.seldane.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=yso&action=print&thread=5939 and scroll down to doppiapunta's post (just bear in mind he means "extra disk" whenever he says "data disk").

Hope that helps.

Same problem here, though your solution does not work. The thing is most texts are in English, only a few places are in Japanese. That wouldn't be very bothersome, but I fear that it mey be the reason the game crashes on hitting Esc key. Please don't tell me you need to use it to save your progress.

Edit: @riptide

Problem partially solved. I don't know about the crashes (I'm not watching that 10 min long unskippable intro again... today), but I managed to fix the issue with fonts. Just download this YSO_WIN file and swap it with the one in the game's directory (assuming that the game is already patched to English).

http://www.mediafire.com/?0x8dj5540kx4p8s

Edit 2: Still, how does one save in the game?

Mrowak

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
Mrowak said:
Edit 2: Still, how does one save in the game?

At the Goddess statues. Interact with the statue by pressing Z, and choose "Save".

Yeah... After patching the game statues started reacting to my inputs. Thx, anyway. :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
6: It's a trap!

Two traps in one update! Also, a new video!

Previously on this LP, we encountered an evil duo and slew the summoned winged demon.

06origin002.jpg

Now that the demon has been defeated, a trap door has opened to the north, so down we jump.

06origin007.jpg

That allows us to reach two previously inaccessible treasure chests. In one of them, we discover a Bronze Key.

06origin008.jpg

The second chest contains Mask of Eyes, a mysterious item that, when equipped, makes the world go black-and-white yet allows you to see secret passages and stuff like that. The trade-off is that, while the mask is equipped, you cannot see the enemies! At all. They are still there, and are attacking you, but you can't see them. Shit is scary.

06origin013.jpg

With the help of the key, we unlock the door we had to skip previously.

06origin021.jpg

Lots of bats in here. One thing we should beware is when a bat starts glowing white; that means it's about to rush at you for some damage.

06origin026.jpg

That wall looks... different, somehow.

06origin030.jpg

I wonder if we should equip the mask.

06origin034.jpg

Hell yeah, a secret passage!

We enter it. When SUDDENLY

06origin037.jpg

A boy's voice: Oh, I know. You're Yunica, of House Tovah!

yunica_surprised.png
Huh...?

06origin041.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
Who's there? Where are you?

(Stupid, isn't she? :roll:)

A boy's voice: Haha... just calm down. Try taking off that mask.

Yunica removed the Mask of Eyes

A boy appears!

yunica_surprised.png
Oh! You're part of the search party...

06origin049.jpg

rico_cheerful.png
I'm Rico Gemma... a sorceror. It's nice to meet you.

yunica_playful.png
Oh, you must be Priest Gemma's grandson... What are you doing here?

rico_cheerful.png
When I landed, I realized that I was close to the tower. Once I got a look at the situation in here, I thought I caught a glimpse of a man's shadow.

rico_frustrated.png
I figured it had to be someone from the search party, so I followed it, but...

06origin057.jpg

yunica_astonished.png
Oh... are you hurt?

rico_chinese.png
Yeah, a little while ago. But don't worry... I have healing magic, so I'll be okay. I should be able to walk again soon.

yunica_cheerful.png
I see...

yunica_resolved.png
So, the shadow turned out to be a couple of criminal-looking types, right?

rico_astonished.png
You know them?

yunica_resolved.png
Well, sort of... you could say I had a run-in with them.

rico_neutral.png
Ahh... well, I'm glad you're okay, then.

rico_frustrated.png
They sent some demons after me, so I wound up in a lot of trouble.

yunica_sad.png
Yeah... same here.

06origin069.jpg

rico_frustrated.png
I don't know... but you'd better be careful. The more I think about it, the less I like this situation.

yunica_surprised.png
... ...Oh, no!!

rico_astonished.png
Huh...? What's wrong?

yunica_angry.png
Those two said they were trying to capture Lady Reah and Lady Feena!

rico_frightened.png
You... you can't be serious! Who would even think of doing such a thing...?

Yunica explained about the Roda Tree telling her where the Goddesses were.

rico_astonished.png
I see... well, this is even more serious than we thought, then. If they're here, then those two actually might have a chance of capturing the Goddesses.

rico_hurt.png
We have to hurry and find them before they ca--OW!

06origin083.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
If you can stay out of sight of the demons for a while, you should be okay. I'm going to investigate some more.

rico_frustrated.png
All right. I'm going to just rest here until I can walk again.

rico_cheerful.png
...By the way, take this with you.

06origin087.jpg

yunica_astonished.png
What's this?

rico_chinese.png
It's a protective talisman, handed down through House Gemma. It has the power to weaken evil energies, so it should come in handy while you search.

yunica_playful.png
Got it... thank you.

rico_cheerful.png
Take care, then.

06origin096.jpg

You do remember the teleport trap, don't you?

06origin099.jpg

The talisman should help us deal with it. We shouldn't forget to equip it, of course.

06origin109.jpg

The magical field is weakened thanks to the necklace, and we can now destroy the four evil generator devices located in the corners of the room. No getting careless there, though: the field may be weakened, but it's still there, and we're still being pulled towards the teleporter in the centre. Plus, the devices emit destructive beams that may deal damage to Yunica if we're not being careful.

06origin115.jpg

We destroy them all, and the magic field disappears. The barrier disappears with it, and the path is now unlocked.

06origin122.jpg

yunica_sad.png
Still, I wonder if it was those two who set that trap... They did seem pretty powerful, but they really couldn't be that good with magic...

yunica_eyesclosed.png
Heh, talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

:roll:

SUDDENLY

A young man's voice: ...Yunica?!

06origin127.jpg

yunica_surprised.png
Oh... Roy?

A woman's voice: Did you find her, Roy?

06origin131.jpg

yunica_happy.png
Ramona... Praise the Goddesses. I was worried about you two.

roy_neutral.png
...You were worried about US? I swear... do you even know how much danger you were in?!

yunica_sad.png
Hey... why are you so mad?

roy_eyesclosed.png
Just let me finish!

06origin137.jpg

roy_neutral.png
...so what in the world made you think it was okay to go wandering around the demons' stronghold like this?

yunica_resolved.png
I... I was trying to get some combat experience! And I even got permission from the Reverend.

roy_neutral.png
...Lady Reah and Lady Feena are apparently somewhere in the tower.

yunica_resolved.png

roy_neutral.png
Whenever the subject of them comes up, you completely lose sight of reality. You shouldn't worry Commander Galleon and Ramona so.

roy_eyesclosed.png
An apprentice should behave like an apprentice.

06origin146.jpg

yunica_angry.png
H... hey... Roy, you're barely any more experienced than I am! You're only one year older than me, so when are you going to stop treating me like a little kid?

roy_eyesclosed.png
When you stop acting like one.

roy_neutral.png
I know the only reason you're even here is because you love Lady Reah and Lady Feena.

yunica_eager.png
Oh, shut up!

:sisfist:

ramona_kind.png
(sigh) ...All right, that's enough out of both of you!

06origin153.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
We... we're not that close.

ramona_neutral.png
I need the particulars of your story, Yunica. For now, we need to get back in touch with the rest of the search party. We'll do a better job of finding the Goddesses if all we work together, as was planned.

yunica_sad.png
Ah... I'm sorry...

ramona_kind.png
Something you said before has been bugging me, though.

ramona_neutral.png
Something about those two setting some kind of magical trap...

yunica_resolved.png
Ah, well...

Yunica told Ramona everything that had happened since her arrival.

roy_surprised.png
That's bizarre... why would anyone else be looking for the Goddesses?

ramona_astonished.png
If this is true, then we've got bigger problems on our hands than we expected. We should inform Reverend Syon of this at once.

roy_neutral.png
I'm kind of worried about Rico... isn't he still injured?

ramona_eyesclosed.png
Yes... you and I will go and find him.

06origin167.jpg

(In your dreams, duh.)

yunica_sad.png

ramona_kind.png
Once we find Rico, we'll be right behind you. Then, we can get all our facts straight and figure out a plan.

yunica_sad.png
Y-yes, ma'am...

roy_neutral.png
Don't get sidetracked on your way back to base.

yunica_resolved.png
I know that!

Roy and Ramona walk away.

06origin175.jpg

yunica_eyesclosed.png
(sigh)...

yunica_resolved.png
(I don't want to go back yet... maybe I'll just look around a little bit more first.)

:sisfist:

So north we go.

06origin180.jpg

More bats here.

06origin183.jpg

As well as some slimes. Beware when they're trying to reach their tentacles at Yunica (as pictured above), else she could be poisoned!

06origin188.jpg

A little platform jumping gets us to a pair of leather boots.

06origin189.jpg

They are DEF +6 boots, so we equip 'em.

06origin193.jpg

Below is a pit with several heavy-armoured knights. Let's call them Heavy knights.

Heavy knights can be annoying as they hit for an ungodly amount of damage and can completely block Yunica's attacks, even the Whirlwind, with their shields. They are, however, slow and clumsy, so once you've figured out the timing you can easily dispatch them by striking them from behind right after they try attacking you.

06origin201.jpg

See, the knight above is still attacking the spot where Yunica previously was, and we're already behind him!

06origin212.jpg

The next area is nasty. It has not only Heavy knights, but also Shamans.

06origin217.jpg

Shamans have several tricks up their sleeve. First, they can easily teleport here and there, so that you can almost never finish them off in one go. Next, they have that freakin' explosion! attack pictured above, so you shouldn't be just standing around them carelessly.

06origin220.jpg

Finally, they can throw three magic disks at you that you should avoid. Beware the knights, too!

06origin227.jpg

The left set of stairs takes us to a button guarded by a Heavy knight. We dispatch the guard and press the button.

06origin231.jpg

Somewhere, a door has opened. Good going.

06origin234.jpg

Hmm, I wonder what's in there...

06origin236.jpg

A chest, hey!

06origin237.jpg

yunica_resolved.png
What in the world is this thing...? What a creepy medallion... Maybe it's supposed to be put somewhere.

WHEN SUDDENLY

06origin242.jpg

A magical barrier appears! It's another trap!

06origin245.jpg

Three red-glowing armoured knights! We're in for a fight...

Ys Origin gameplay video #3: Beast Medallion fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGjXGqGilo

Naturally, glowing Heavy knights are tougher than regular ones. Plus, the room for manoeuvre is really tiny in this battle. One important trick in this fight is to time Yunica's actions in such a manner as not only to avoid being hit, but also to make the knights pursue her as a group, which makes it easier to time the attacks. Do NOT let the knights act separately, as that'd leave too little room for attacking them.

We emerge victorious (and unharmed, as you can see in the video), and the barrier dissipates.

06origin255.jpg

That creature looks scary! I wonder if we're going to be fighting it...

We take the right set of stairs next and enter the door we opened earlier.

06origin259.jpg

And make it through a narrow corridor.

06origin266.jpg

Some red-glowing bats in here!

06origin277.jpg

Per usual, we must kill all the red-glowing foes to make the barrier disappear. Then we purify the Goddess statue and save the game.

06origin295.jpg

"The Beast Chamber", huh? That doesn't bode well.

We can also use the Lila Shell to get in touch with Eolia.

Yunica used the Lila Shell, and heard Eolia's voice.

06origin299.jpg

Eolia's voice: If this is actually the case...

Eolia's voice: ...Well, just be prepared for anything.

Next time: uh oh

P.S. VIDEOS IN THIS UPDATE:

Ys Origin gameplay video #3: Beast Medallion fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usGjXGqGilo

spekkio

Arcane
rico_cheerful.png

^Potential rapist detected.

06origin131.jpg

^Lethermail bikins FTW!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom