Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

armchair_psychologist.jpg

Athelas

Arcane
Judging from some of the reactions (including that Gamespot review), it sounds like the zoomed out 2d isometric style is something that's off-putting to a lot of people. It also confirms my suspicions that D:OS probably sold like hotcakes because of the 3d graphics and WoW-esque aesthetic rather than because people suddenly love turn-based RPG's.

Weasel
Other than the combat, it looks fantastic to my eyes. Certainly doesn't shy away from being text-heavy, plenty of dialogue options. The graphics are awesome, the CYOA screens look and sound cool. The atmosphere is spot-on, yes, the immershun!!1

Greatly looking forward to this.

So you like it apart from Sawyer's contributions?

likaq

Arcane
iso 3D > iso 2D
Having said that, when its comes to art design poe > d:os ( wow-like art design, decline of larian ).

Duraframe300

Arcane

Quoting myself here

On a note beyond the hypocrisy....

I watched the demo again and afterwards talked with Sensuki about it. There is more handholding in it than I first realised. (Though I still strongly disagree that its an utterly terrible example. For a starting area in a video game its still not bad (For one because the tutorial is actually more or less integrated in the gameplay)

I wouldn't see it at all as a sign of things to come though. Its an interesting topic to ask Sawyer, but I'm reasonably sure of the answer. Getting new players fast into the game was one of Sawyers desires IIRC.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The other racial models probably weren't polished enough when they made this demo (it's the E3 demo which was developed in May).

And yeah there's a bit of hand holding in that demo.

Last edited:

Ramireza

Savant
It also confirms my suspicions that D:OS probably sold like hotcakes because of the 3d graphics and WoW-esque aesthetic rather than because people suddenly love turn-based RPG's.

Exactly.

I cant imagine that PoE could sell more copies then DOS. PoE is much to oldskool for the AAA Audience (wich partially like DoS... until they learned this isnt the next Hack and Slay). Larian did a clever move with their graphic style of DOS.

jdinatale

Cipher
From IGN article:

"I’m a bit disappointed by this (romance always adds an interesting dynamic to the story in my opinion)"

Lol.

Duraframe300

Arcane
From IGN article:

"I’m a bit disappointed by this (romance always adds an interesting dynamic to the story in my opinion)"

Lol.

Eh.

While I disagree with her (I prefer romance only if it is a major theme in the story) this was one little line and otherwise the preview was actually pretty good (Especially for what you'd usually expect from IGN)

norolim

Arcane
This looks very good. I especially like the character creation screen and the trade/inventory windows. Combat... well, combat is what you'd expect from a low level RTwP - nothing to write home about. I also immediately noticed the handholding during the dungeon puzzle. Didn't like.

jimboton

Novice
Neogaf morons are complaining about too much handholding (Because of those two companion dialouges during the puzzle)

You say this as if it was the funniest thing in the world. It's not, and those two companion dialogues 'here's the solution to the puzzle you just saw retard' are a fairly worrying sign of things to come .

But hey maybe you're the kind that needs the step by step for your average symbols-on-a-floor puzzle. Maybe you're secretly afraid that if this 'incline' stuff ever truly materializes you'll be *again* left to your own devices to solve all those STUPID puzzles the designers thought of, and you'll be stuck, and then you won't be able to find out if you can romance the hot elf chick before the effects of Ritalin wear out. yeah, I see it now. You obviously don't want anyone to know. You want validation from the Codex, but those brofists haven't been very forthcoming in your latest inane contributions here. Shit man, now I feel bad. I would brofist you if I could, but I'm just a Neogaf moron...

I want validation from the codex?

What are you smoking?

No, , I find it funny because those are nowhere near examples of bad or intrusive handholdihng. Theres much worse out there.

Which said Neogaf morons usually eat up like nothing. Also Durante is especially funny how he now is all over Divinitys combat and before that couldn't rant more about Turn-Based during Torment.

Sorry, if it offends you when I make fun of hypocrits.

Yeah of course there's far worse handholding 'out there' but I didn't kickstart any of it. And that doesn't make it ok anyway. Also I don't buy the 'but it's a tutorial level' explanation because there is no tutorial in what I saw: those are not general explanations about the mechanics or interface of the game, it's guidance for a specific puzzle. Not needed, not wanted.

sbb

Learned
Some random combinations of things on the screen, especially the character creation screen and its character model, really remind me of Champions of Norrath. I really like the look of it so far. I am a bit confused about character death after watching the Giant Bomb quick look though. They seemed to say a lot of stuff about it at once, and not all of it seemed to fit. Does anyone else understand?

Athelas

Arcane
Some random combinations of things on the screen, especially the character creation screen and its character model, really remind me of Champions of Norrath. I really like the look of it so far. I am a bit confused about character death after watching the Giant Bomb quick look though. They seemed to say a lot of stuff about it at once, and not all of it seemed to fit. Does anyone else understand?
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Vitality

AMG

Arbiter
Looks pretty gr8. No feats/skills/proficiencies or whatever at char gen is kinda weird, I guess it is predetermined by class. PC portraits looked pretty cheapo but who cares anyway.
The most worrisome thing is 2 active abilities at lvl1 on a fighter class. I hope it doesn't mean that later on you have to cycle through 10 ablities for each of 6 characters cause that is fking boring and tiring in an RTS.
Also pathing seems pretty shit but I guess they also had to copy that from BG for a true IE experience :M.
All in all Wasteland 2 got pretty much blown the fuck out.

Jezal_k23

There's a time to let you figure out a complicated puzzle for yourself, I hope. It just might not be the immediate beginning of the game. As much as this game is geared toward fans of the IE games, I don't believe they would make it deliberately inaccessible and hard to get into (for new players), thus the handholding. Considering the massive mega dungeon that was made for the game, there *might be* a harder puzzle somewhere in there, and in that instance I wouldn't expect the game to hold your hand. Of course, I'm just making an assumption; if not in the mega dungeon, then certainly there's another puzzle somewhere in the game, in which your hand won't be held.

I actually think it's important that the game be *a bit* accessible for new players, since I have a few people in mind that I want to play the game and hopefully get into the genre. But of course, that's just for the immediate start of the game. I don't expect it to be easy and handhold-y once the early stages are over with.

BobtheTree

Savant
I only watched the GiantBomb video because I'm terrified of what GameSpot/IGN people will say. At least Rorie played some of those games/worked for Obsidian for a while.

It looks pretty good. Like the new UI better than the mock-up. Only thing I would like to see is some kind of quickbar for spells/abilities would be a nice use of screen real-estate. Made sense for that to be a submenu in the old games due to the smaller screen size, but here you've got all that space and I don't think it would take up that much. Still, that's a tiny thing.

Otherwise, it looks like what I wanted from this game. Surprised at the level of polish. Seems like they might actually deliver on time.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Sawyer mentions that they will probably rename stamina to endurance in the IGN interview. That would be a good change. Stamina doesn't sit right with me.

The IGN video was surprisingly pain-free, and probably the best video quality at 1080.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom