Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Lancehead

Liturgist
You hated the UI in Morrowind? I find it one of the best. Right Click and everything's there. Grid inventory, pick up and drop/equip, resizable windows, windows can be pinned, hotkeys. Barter, repair, alchemy, spellmaking interfaces are all painless and a breeze to use.

Regarding the whole discussion on Sawyer's apparent obsession with "balance" that has raged on for the better part of 800 pages, I find it premature because whatever goals he may have, he's not going to achieve them without content there to support the system, something which isn't exactly under Sawyer's jurisdiction.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh has nothing against min/maxing
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/1761339221
What are your thoughts on players "min-maxing" and using all kinds of tricks and maybe even exploits to create more or less game-breaking characters in RPG's?
That's part of the game. It's the system designers' job to make that rewarding without resulting in severe imbalances between the min-maxers and more casual players. Completely removing the ability to min-max (or the power of min-maxing, which amounts to the same thing) can lead to the player's choices feeling unimportant, which I think is bad in games in general and especially in RPGs.

I didn't see Adam's LP, but I wonder if he ever played D&D. I played D&D and AD&D before I ever played any CRPGs so I can't imagine trying to figure those systems out blind.
Brennecke has been terrible at D&D video games for a long time.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/47858-mask-of-the-betrayer/page-3
Josh said:
I'll tell you one thing. My Cleric/Frenzied Berserker/Warpriest still has a difficult time, and i had some pretty good equipment.
Learn to play nub. My single-classed monk did it.

Though at least you didn't start off the game with a Water Genasi Fighter 10 / Cleric 7 (like Adam Brennecke).
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/47858-mask-of-the-betrayer/page-8
Josh said:
I think that weathered veterans will at least find the combat engaging. Total nubs (e.g. Adam Brennecke) will probably be wiped out at a few spots. But hey, you're playing an epic-level D&D game, so suck it up and get promoted out of the Nubtorian Guard. I certainly believe that the majority of players moving from NWN2 to MotB will find the latter more interesting and challenging overall.

Adam said:
QQ

In MotB I find myself having to play combat much like Baldur's Gate 2, Throne of Bhaal, and Icewind Dale II. I'm not saying that the combat is exactly like the Infinity Engine games but with addition of epic levels, the modified resting and gameplay rules makes the combat portion of MotB much more engaging and interesting than the OC. These additions, including some of the other UI and camera changes, makes MotB play much like the legendary Bioware/BIS games. For the majority of the fights I have to think about what I'm doing or else a party wipe is imminent.

I told Josh the game was too hard. He didn't listen - which is probably a good thing for you guys, because I haven't graduated from out of the Nubtorian Guard of Noobsville yet.
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/47858-mask-of-the-betrayer/page-9
Josh said:
He should have listened. The number one reason for me not playing (and not buying) certain games is because I find them too difficult at key points and would rather just pass on the frustration.
We did listen to Adam.

In this thread (or perhaps another), I threw Adam under the wheels of the difficulty cart because he built a water genasi 10 fighter / 7 cleric as his starting character. Genasi are not a powerhouse race, but more importantly, being able to cast only 4th level cleric spells in an 18th level dungeon is practically like being able to cast no cleric spells at all. Low on feats, high on nothing, the character is just flat out bad.

Adam's a smart guy, and he is lightly familiar with D&D. So how should we tune an expansion that's oriented around 20th+ level characters? When I played through the expansion the first time, long stretches were so trivially easy that I became bored. I enjoyed the story and the areas a lot, but the overall low level of difficulty probably would have made me stop playing the game if it hadn't been an Obsidian product.

Kevin and Avellone and Ferg were quick to prevent me from requesting IWD2-levels of difficulty because they have more sympathy for nubs than I do. And I should make it clear that I didn't tune the combat personally. I made suggestions that were considered by individual designers and either accepted, rejected, or modified based on their best judgment and the goals Kevin thought were appropriate. I think the game difficulty, as tuned by the designers, is interesting but not difficult for me. And by Adam's experience, some parts are very difficult for someone with his relatively-low familiarity with D&D. D&D is a complicated ruleset and there's a minimum level of understanding required to do anything with it -- especially at 20th+ level. The only real way to get around that is to selectively shave off so much of the complex D&D rules that you're left with something like BG: Dark Alliance or the old Capcom D&D games. If you try to keep all of the core rules but tune the difficulty so you don't really have to know anything, the D&D veterans simply aren't going to find the gameplay compelling at all.

Ninjerk

Arcane
That all sounds sensible, Roguey. Sorry for reporting you for idiocy the other day.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
When you think about it having watched Chris Avellone play Arcanum or Adam Brennecke struggle through the IWD2 prologue - that's probably what Josh feels sympathy for, people like them that have a hard time playing games and run the risk of giving up because they're finding it too hard.

Hmm, dunno about that. From what I recall, Chris and Adam didn't fail primarily due to poor character building. They failed because they weren't paying attention to things during gameplay.

Remember - "games for people who like games".
That's the tragedy of the situation.

It's not that Josh Sawyer, with his retarded ideas, was put in charge of the gameplay - it's that the rest of Obsidian is so bad at this, that he may have been the best guy for that position.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grunker He responded! http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer

rij3Dhb.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Well, motherfucker... I'll be damned. Did not expect that reply at all. Either he is being diplomatic or Roguey is just wrong about his loverboy.

Either way, that reply is entirely satisfactory to sate my bloodlust :)

He didn't really respond to the core point though: the "sometimes I listen to players above all, sometimes I just don't", but then you didn't really ask about that Infinitron.

Lancehead

Liturgist
He didn't respond to the most important thing in that question: is he going to end fun?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He didn't really respond to the core point though: the "sometimes I listen to players above all, sometimes I just don't", but then you didn't really ask about that Infinitron.

I did ask it by quoting that specific sentence of yours, but it seems he preferred to dodge that accusation. It's not relevant if the game isn't actually that much like 4E, after all.

Lancehead

Liturgist

On discussions on mechanics I remember Sawyer once saying (something along the lines of) "what players think it will be like isn't necessarily what it will be". The what it will be being the player experience which Sawyer considers most important to him as a designer could mean he may not give as much weight to what players think it will be like. Unless I'm forgetting things, I've never seen him dismiss player experience of actually playing a game, whereas he has rejected/ignored hypothetical discussions.

So I don't really see any contradiction on Sawyer's part.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Either he is being diplomatic or Roguey is just wrong about his loverboy.
What was I wrong about? His answer was in-line with what I said (that he's not copying 4e wholesale).

His words on 3E were not, however, and we've argued twice about uniformity and lack of variety in classes, to which you blatantly said that Sawyer thought there was plenty variety.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
His words on 3E were not, however, and we've argued twice about uniformity and lack of variety in classes, to which you blatantly said that Sawyer thought there was plenty variety.
http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/228567592493679921
You can reduce the gulf of efficacy between the bottom and the top without making the range nonexistent. In 3E and 3.5 D&D, you can make characters and parties that are TERRIBLE and will fail at everything constantly. It is much, much more difficult to do that in 4th Ed. That doesn't mean you can't min-max 4th Ed. And it also doesn't mean that you can't have variety in 4th Ed. characters. My Earthstrength Warden looks very different from many other Earthstrength Wardens and is better/worse at a variety of things.

http://www.formspring.me/JESawyer/q/362774131134983616
I disagree with George's statements about role-playing potential in 4E vs. other editions. I also don't think the classes feel that similar -- outside of each class possessing the same number of abilities/powers/etc. Even at low levels, my warden and my bard felt very different from each other and very different from the other PCs.
I'm just going by what he's said. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Classes lost a lot of their unique feel" and "I don't think the classes feel that similar" aren't mutually exclusive ideas. It's like
a) classes in 4e are more homogenous than 3.x: True
b) classes in 4e still remain different enough from each other: True

DraQ

Arcane
Fuck he is saying some retarded shit here. It's natural for a stronger person to inflict more pain with a weapon than a weaker person
Actually not necessarily so.

Most weapons build up momentum before striking, so you do not need to be particularly strong to do damage.
What strength does is enabling effective use of heavier weapons (because you can build up momentum fast enough when swinging massive weapon, then again, most realistic weapons weren't so heavy that an ordinary joe wouldn't be able to swing them properly), and reducing time needed to react with heavy weapon (for example recover from attack or start parry).
So strength should mostly just affect carry weight and reduce penalties from weapon weight and balance.

It would also affect attempts to directly overpower an opponent, but even then dexterity could give you a lot of edge.
The only cases where strength directly impacts damage or something damage-like (penetration) would be pushing with thrusting weapon. And, amusingly enough, bows - those need a lot of strength.

Should you want to continue this particular topic - http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/damage-cap.76748/ - 'ere.

It is NOT logical for intelligence to change the damage your spells do.
Well, we don't know how magic would work, but I can sort of agree - you should have willpower stuff for that. Intelligence should govern ability to learn and weave complex spells. But then it would need spellmaker mechanics.
:smug:
And this is an absolutely silly thing to have for basic stat.

There are different kinds of balance and varying degrees.

I'd say the only kind of balance you need to worry about in a cRPG is whether the encounter design can be balanced vs your party make up. Balancing things on a pure statistical/numerical scale is MMO faggotry.

Here's all the balance you need - Make the classes fun to play and build. Make the encounters challenging. Put a level cap in to make sure you cannot fuck up the encounter design. Do these and you have a fun, challenging game that can be played over and over again with different party make ups and builds.
Maybe the fact that Wizards are OP is the problem that needs to be addressed in the first place?

I think the primary problem here is having main conflict resolution mechanics at all.

FPS games can have primary resolution mechanics, RTS games can have primary conflict resolution mechanics, stealth games can have primary conflict resolution mechanics, but RPGs very definitely should have no such thing.
RPGs should be all about player using their wit trying to force such conflict resolution mechanics he is well equipped for and can prepare for based on his build and circumstances.

If you have primary conflict resolution mechanics, you can't help but balance the classes in regards to this mechanics and this way lays derp and MMO faggotry.

Weapon damage and spell damage stats have to be unified, because Fighters use mostly weapons and Mages use mostly spells.
That's pure idiocy from any remotely sane PoV, and not necessarily valid from purely gamist PoV either.
You can just as well unify spell damage with some other stat useful to fighters and weapon damage with some other stat useful to mages.

Is there a single P&P game that is easy to learn, difficult to master and works fine out of the box without a bunch of houserules? No. Ergo, they're all bad.
Those kids don't actually understand the rules, because if they did, they'd be breaking those games through their obvious exploits.

And in my experience, most of those require a lot of upfront reading to truly understand. Sure you can mess around and have a lot of fun with mechanically bad characters, but that's not proper gaming.
ITT: Roguey fails to understand that the role of systemic shit in PnP is auxiliary to the main game.
:hearnoevil:

Give me a single good reason to have a Charisma of above minimum on any character that isn't using it as a caster stat (in video games).
In a cRPG? None. In P&P? Having a good DM who actually takes the time to customize adventures to include situations that address the strengths and weaknesses of the party, or provides special opportunities to characters with unexpected builds.
That's not systemic, though.

Ok in a PnP where systems are auxiliary to the whole thing and as long as they don't get in the way or create too much derp they work fine, inexcusable in a cRPG where systems are the core of the game.

Repair in Fallout was a completely plausible choice unless you consider it in terms of an extreme "ultimate build" perspective. Removing it as a skill, without "de-systematizing" it
Except repair is already non-systemic as it's used exclusively for limited amount of scripted spots. If, for example, you'd also have to maintain and repair your weapons and other gear, then there would be no reason to even think about removing it.

Imagine going through GURPS
Does not compute. It's a PnP system, therefore even non-systemic stuff can be treated as systemic as GM will provide content indefinitely according to his judgement of situation.

What the fuck does being mondblutian (i.e. a complete gamist) have to do with this? If anything, mondblutians by definition should approve of a stat-system which serves gameplay and nothing but gameplay.
Deriving fun chiefly from breaking games.
...in a trivial manner.
:martini:

Take Morrowind for example. It's pretty much impossible to make a broken build in that game. You can in fact make a build completely blindly and still be viable. That's possible because there's an abundance of and variety in content, and the world is simulated as much as possible.
This.

I don't think that good system should allow any kind of actual minmaxing - any disproportional advantage from particular attributes should be baked into the class definition, for example, if fighters with strength below certain value are worthless, choosing fighter should force you to meet class requirements, and all the other attributes should confer benefits on par with those from raising main attributes above class minimum.
The challenge to building character shouldn't stem from knowing where to pump the points to create effective gameplay tool, but from using the tool you've created effectively.

You hated the UI in Morrowind? I find it one of the best. Right Click and everything's there. Grid inventory, pick up and drop/equip, resizable windows, windows can be pinned, hotkeys. Barter, repair, alchemy, spellmaking interfaces are all painless and a breeze to use.
Also this.

Morrowind's GUI wasn't perfect, but it was the closest to perfection I've ever seen.

Name

Cipher
He said classes lost their unique "feel", which does not contradict the fact they can still be very different from each other. Whatever "feel" means in his dict file, it is a higher concept than character variety.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You can't tell me class variety isn't a problem in 4E and then claim it lost a lot of class variety. I don't care what bullshit excuses you use.

Delterius

Arcane
You can't tell me class variety isn't a problem in 4E and then claim it lost a lot of class variety. I don't care what bullshit excuses you use.
Oh, you misunderstand.

Its very much like measuring how much shit, exactly, got into your face after falling into a pigsty.

Or, if past iterations of high level D&D are any indication here, like taking a picture of someone who just dropped from a bridge and has yet to reach rock-bottom. But is going to.

In all seriousness, Name, the contradiction lies not on the fact that classes can feel similar and yet still different, which is a given, but rather on wether classes can feel much more similar than before and, yet, very much different still.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Oh, you misunderstand.

Its very much like measuring how much shit, exactly, got into your face after falling into a pigsty.

Or, if past iterations of high level D&D are any indication here, like taking a picture of someone who just dropped from a bridge and has yet to reach rock-bottom. But is going to.

In all seriousness, Name, the contradiction lies not on the fact that classes can feel similar and yet still different, which is a given, but rather on wether classes can feel much more similar than before and, yet, very much different still.

No, it seems YOU misunderstand.

The whole reason that we're having this conversation is that we have argued: is lack of class variety in 4E or not a problem? You just saw Sawyer say that: Yes, it is. When I stated this to Roguey before, he claimed that:

You can reduce the gulf of efficacy between the bottom and the top without making the range nonexistent. In 3E and 3.5 D&D, you can make characters and parties that are TERRIBLE and will fail at everything constantly. It is much, much more difficult to do that in 4th Ed. That doesn't mean you can't min-max 4th Ed. And it also doesn't mean that you can't have variety in 4th Ed. characters. My Earthstrength Warden looks very different from many other Earthstrength Wardens and is better/worse at a variety of things.

This meant Sawyer didn't think 4E lacked variety, and therefore (unsurprisingly) Roguey made the argument that 3E didn't lack variety.

Whether 4E can have class variety or not at the same time as it has less than 3E is not the question, and it never was. Whether 4E has too little class variety is. This:

makes Roguey wrong: Sawyer agrees with me than 4E lost too much variety, that classes and abilities are too similar, and that customization options are too narrow. Roguey's claim was faulty (surprise surprise for someone who hasn't read or played the actual system, I know).

Which means that my points still stands: Tactical uniformity was a major issue in 4E.

I hope that cleared it up so we can stop with the fucking semantics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom