Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Cipher
With Ziets, Avellone etc on board, chances are the text/story won't be generic even if some of the concept art is turning out that way. There's nothing wrong with a traditional but well executed fantasy campaign in any case.

Zeriel

Arcane
I thought the updates always happen Tuesday night, what's this about their moving it up a night???

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=393#post414143854
rope kid said:
BTW, we've almost wrapped up the environment demo for Tuesday and it's looking pretty darn sweet.
See? Still Tuesday.

I also enjoy how that thread's now all about how shit Arcanum's UI and design is whereas our thread is about mocking Avellone for being so obstinate.

Difference between RPGCodex and every other gaming forum summarized.

Developer: Man, this old game sucks ass!
Every Other Forum: Dear god, I never realized it, but you're right! The UI is so bad! Where's the modern innovation?

Developer: Man, this old game sucks ass!
RPGCodex: It is not the game. It's you. Take the red pill.

Unwanted

Cursed Beaver

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
With Ziets, Avellone etc on board, chances are the text/story won't be generic even if some of the concept art is turning out that way

I don't see how taking inspiration from centuries of most refined European Art and architecture is being generic. Not to mention the other more exotic influences such as arabic style, persians, Indian, Japanese... to give it a particular fantasy vibe.

Overall, It's not because D&D also draw it's art style from this abundant heritage that past civilizations left us that PE should be considered a generic copy.

Beside, the in-game screenshot they showed looked pretty unique.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The prototype demo will be released in a couple of days. Soon we'll see what Obsidian have been up to, and how PE stacks up against the rest of the Kickstarter demos we've seen in the past few months (although this is more of an environment demonstration without gameplay so don't expect TOO much)

Duraframe300

Arcane
The prototype demo will be released in a couple of days. Soon we'll see what Obsidian have been up to, and how PE stacks up against the rest of the Kickstarter demos we've seen in the past few months (although this is more of an environment demonstration without gameplay so don't expect TOO much)

People should probably excpect a more refined version of the first footage we saw of Wasteland 2 (NOT the *gameplay* footage!). Not going to be disappointed this way, and probably even surprised.

Zeriel

Arcane
Except Obsidian is using a completely different approach to their game (unless you mean "expect the same" in the sense of the same level of polish/progression, in which case I'd agree, I actually expect Project Eternity to be in a much more primitive state than Wasteland 2 was).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's an RPG being worked on by Tim Cain, Chris Avellone and George Zeits. Even with Real Crap with Pause™ gameplay, how can I not be excited?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just clarification, will this be open to all backers or only specific tiers?

Duraframe300

Arcane

Everyone, AFAIK.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We're talking a video, not a downloadable playable demo.

1eyedking

Erudite
It's an RPG being worked on by Tim Cain, Chris Avellone and George Zeits. Even with Real Crap with Pause™ gameplay, how can I not be excited?
Tim Cain is now a passive gay bear, and eats a lot of chocolate
Chris Avellone is now a metrofag beta mangina white knight with no self respect who lives for women's approval
George Zeits was never good to begin with
Josh Sawyer is now a hipster white trash pseudo-intellectual (who could occasionally make challenging combat encounters)

The first two are the only ones who could really deserve any kind of attention, but they're no longer the angst-ridden, full-blown dementia nerds who made games one could only dream of. They've become mainstream: in life itself. And that was their downfall.

Team Decline couldn't have a better roster, if you ask me. Add in Obsidian's "art" department and you're in for the shitfest of your life. In the words of a character from a very Codex overrated game: I salivate in anticipation.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
2w4d0mp.png

Jashiin

Arcane
Chris Avellone is now a metrofag beta mangina white knight with no self respect who lives for women's approval
Josh Sawyer is now a hipster white trash pseudo-intellectual (who could occasionally make challenging combat encounters)

The first two are the only ones who could really deserve any kind of attention, but they're no longer the angst-ridden, full-blown dementia nerds who made games one could only dream of. They've become mainstream: in life itself. And that was their downfall.

Team Decline couldn't have a better roster, if you ask me. Add in Obsidian's "art" department and you're in for the shitfest of your life. In the words of a character from a very Codex overrated game: I salivate in anticipation.

omg that chocolate

homerdrool2.gif

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Tim Cain is a very smart programmer and excels best working alone with freedom to operate.
Chris Avellone shines the same way, but with story telling
Don't know shit about George Zeits, sorry, criticise all you want I don't care.
J.E. Sawyer is a solid modernist with a knack for design, and does a good job without trying to be "TOO HARDKORE"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Zeits did the conversation with Myrkul in Mask of the Betrayer (and a bunch of other stuff, like continuity passes, companion dialogues etc...).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

:0/5: Come on, you weren't even trying.

1eyedking

Erudite
In all seriousness, they're really not in their creative top anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom