Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian's Next-gen Title "Already Looking Great", South Park Still on Track for 2013

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Yeah, Bioware PR is probably the most reliable source of game information.:)

A user named cat

^Actually, a sports based RPG title doesn't sound like a half bad idea. There is an easy connection between team positions (forward, guard, center etc) and party roles (mage, fighter, thief etc) so it won't be too much of a stretch. Hm....
The NBA 2K games are basically RPGs with lots of depth and stats. If only they had court combat and a storyfag mode.

DeepOcean

Arcane
If you consider shooting energy out of your hand a different verb from shooting bullets out of a gun, yeah. You should check out Bioshock Infinite, it's got omg so many verbs ;)
The powers in ME 3 are better than Bioshock Infinite because they have some nice synergies when used with the powers of your companions, they don't do enough direct damage on impossible without biotic/tech detonations. Playing on impossible with an adept or engineer is kinda challenging, the AI is agressive and try to corner you all the time. It requires, at least, a drop of tactics while Bio Infinite is boring easy from easy mode to 1999.

dunno lah

Arcane
^Actually, a sports based RPG title doesn't sound like a half bad idea. There is an easy connection between team positions (forward, guard, center etc) and party roles (mage, fighter, thief etc) so it won't be too much of a stretch. Hm....
The NBA 2K games are basically RPGs with lots of depth and stats. If only they had court combat and a storyfag mode.
So...Slam Dunk: A Ball Sports Role-Playing Game? They could even use the anime/manga:smug:
Maybe it also comes with a "Feargus Urquheart presents"...

Cynic

Arcane

:x FFS Obsidian, when will you settle and learn ! Jumping from one gameplay formula to the next without without giving you the time to properly master any of them !

Normally I'd agree with you, but Obsidian needs to learn how to make action-RPGs with action that's actually good if they want to survive in the AAA world, so I approve of this.

Dungeon Siege 3 had good action fuck all y'all who disagree.

Shannow

Waster of Time

:x FFS Obsidian, when will you settle and learn ! Jumping from one gameplay formula to the next without without giving you the time to properly master any of them !

Normally I'd agree with you, but Obsidian needs to learn how to make action-RPGs with action that's actually good if they want to survive in the AAA world, so I approve of this.

Dungeon Siege 3 had good action fuck all y'all who disagree.
Cynic (and Metro) have shit taste in gameplay. Fuck them and their gay opnions.

Cynic

Arcane
Fuck off Shannow. Whatever vendetta you had against DS3 (you must have thought the originals were the holy grail of gaming or something) the combat was really solid with good mechanics. Sure there was some other shit wrong with the game but the combat was a lot of fun, especially with the melee characters. Your hatred for it is quite interesting, did it ass rape you or something?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Shannow what did you dislike about DS III's combat?
Um, everything?
Didn't use the halfway decent established WASD + mouse, instead you had shit controls that were fixed, because hey, technology isn't advanced enough to let players change their keybindings. Ranged attacks and camera were of course fucked up, too.
Cynic, go play in traffic. Seriously, I've stated my evaluation of the previous DS titles before and you know I played the DS3 demo. If you take away from those facts that I consider the older titles to be the holy grail of gaming and haven't actually experienced DS3's gameplay, then all the oxygen you use is wasted. You're factually braindead.
And Jaesun, if you think that stupidity is worth supporting and that shitty action-game #5862842 is good then you're giving faggots a bad reputation. Don't you dare turning jewish.

But hey, thanks for remnding me that codexers were full of shit long before 2010 came around :smug:

In b4 "We couldn't help it, we're crack babies!"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK good to know, most people just bitch about shit they have never played (and laugh at the tire textures), and make up shit. So good to know you were discussing something you have actually played.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I actually finished DSIII but didn't enjoy it much. The back and forth going through the clockwork town was just annoying as fuck. I suppose I liked the fact that it wasn't very long and I got to the end relatively quickly. But then I don't really like this type of game much to begin with so the fact that it was passable just makes it win by default.

I got the same feeling as I got with Hunted: The Derpmon's Forge that it was a soulless product made purely for financial reasons, though like inXile, Obsidian were at least professional enough to give it a good go given their lack of experience of this type of thing. Clearly showed that they would have preferred making a proper RPG given the overly extensive story and dialogues in their take on the generic iso H&S.

gromit

Arcane
Playing the demo of a lazy port with the wrong controls counts as playing, now? Well, I suppose in comparison to the strongly implied individual...

(FTR I played this a'la couch co-op, while we were briefly trapped in the same dull city with shit weather. 2pads1couch, great time, called each other Jeyne Kassander for like a month. All in all, it was "better-than-your-average _______" in that it felt like co-op had a function beyond allowing two concurrent single-player experiences.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Just mentioning that keybindings were also patched into the main game soon after release-

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i just hope it'll have "reckoning" or "asunder" or some such stuff in the title, so we'll know it's good.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I got the same feeling as I got with Hunted: The Derpmon's Forge that it was a soulless product made purely for financial reasons, though like inXile, Obsidian were at least professional enough to give it a good go given their lack of experience of this type of thing. Clearly showed that they would have preferred making a proper RPG given the overly extensive story and dialogues in their take on the generic iso H&S.

I honestly think Obsidian tried to elevate DS3 from being a H&S RPG like the original games with the addition of choices and consequences along with some morality (Dapper Gent situation, for example) in an effort to play into their strengths as company. Even if you disregard all the technical problems the game had, whether their efforts to turn it into a more "proper" RPG were worth it or not is another question altogether. Then again, maybe they just used it to create a proprietary engine at long last.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
The combat kept me going in DS3, it was fun, if you dont get it its maybe because you played it for 5 minutes, at least this one had a decent story unlike the first 2.

Just like Risen 1 combat, for the first levels i was so buthurt because it was so lame and boring but later in the game i realized it was better then Gothic 1 and 2 combined, i dont know if combat was so much fun or enemies were really good at screwing you over.

Cynic

Arcane
Um, everything?
Didn't use the halfway decent established WASD + mouse, instead you had shit controls that were fixed, because hey, technology isn't advanced enough to let players change their keybindings. Ranged attacks and camera were of course fucked up, too.

Instead of your usual try hard response. Can you please tell us what about the actual combat, specifically mechanics and technical details you found to be bad?

Cynic

Arcane
OK good to know, most people just bitch about shit they have never played (and laugh at the tire textures), and make up shit. So good to know you were discussing something you have actually played.

He played the demo and complains about things that were fixed in a patch. He has so far never provided any hard reasons as to why he hates the game, just "it's shit, console controls, camera, blah blah". He's doing exactly what you describe right here basically.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom