Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

Prime Junta

What specifically was wrong how Obsidian did "Evil" in say NWN2 or Mask of the Betrayer then?

Well, let's take MotB for example.
- there is no consistency; you can do all the good choices and then end up getting the ultimate evil ending that is completely opposite to the character you've played until then
- there is no real justification. In the ending slides you hunt down all those who've wronged you... but who are they exactly? Path of "justified" vengeance and refusal to turn the other cheek would be good ways of gradually turning to evil. Not to mention they would be hard choices (it isn't easy to forgive)
- character reactions to your choices are very poor. "You've triggered the attack flag, now I will deliver two lines of cringeworthy dialogue and force you to kill me
- the most "evil" things happen in the ending slides, outside of your control

In general, the whole idea of "succumbing to your hunger" is not that appealing to me. The "evil" in you is literally an external force you can master, not a product of your choices and who your character truly is.

Did you even play it?

Delbaeth

Learned
Would be very interested in, but there's Paradox involved.
So, as always with Paradox, No GOG, No Gold.
:keepmymoney:

I really like the fact that we will have another isometric CRPG. I hope it uses POE engine and rules. Character models look great. I want more info!
Obsidian should give this for free to owners of Pillars (codexers) to make up for the disappointment :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's nice that people have gotten so used to the Kickstarter paradigm that they've forgotten publisher-funded games exist.

Black

Arcane
Game being almost done and there not being any substantial info on its mechanics doesn't bode well. It would be hilarious if this was yet another rtwp joke when both the mainstream (nucom 2) and kickstarters (Battletech) are enjoying going turn-based and there aren't even many voices left whining "but turn-based is soooo 1939".

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Game being almost done and there not being any substantial info on its mechanics doesn't bode well. It would be hilarious if this was yet another rtwp joke when both the mainstream (nucom 2) and kickstarters (Battletech) are enjoying going turn-based and there aren't even many voices left whining "but turn-based is soooo 1939".

I'm guessing that is uses the same engine as PoE, possibly the same rule set or a modified one.

Black

Arcane

I'm guessing that is uses the same engine as PoE, possibly the same rule set or a modified one.
So the tyranny most like comes from "YOU'LL PLAY USING HORRIBLE RTWP AND YOU'LL LIKE IT".

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The evil overlord seems like an unbelievably shallow caricature. Why not set the game in something like Roman - occupied Galia, so the PC still serves the power that murders and enslaves the locals, but at the same time there is some logic behind its action rather than just being evil for lulz.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That Obsidian finally makes their "what if Sauron has conquered Middle-Earth?" game is welcome news. The info from the site about the player's role as wandering judge and executioner is appealing, as is the fact that it's isometric and most likely PC only.

The trailer felt rather generic though and I'm not the greatest fan of the stylized artwork (especially after Pillars had such beautifully drawn maps!), and without any solid information of the gameplay mechanics there's nothing substantial to discuss yet.

Looking forward for more information on the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Hopefully no engagement zones this time.

Mustawd

Some people do like RTwP.

:retarded:

YHjfwGt.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It'll be a diablo clone. No dialogues were shown, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom