Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Obsidian's JE Sawyer talks about fine tuning

Shoelip

Arbiter
Oh, I got one! Volourn hasn't learned anything since grade school!

BlitzKitchen said:
Volourn can you stop the name calling please

You don't seem to understand Volourn very well. If it stopped insulting everything it would be a fairly unremarkable sometimes reasonable poster and no one would really bother about it much.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Volourn said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i would have banned Volourn years ago for not using the fucking quote feature."

I use the quote feature all the time. Unlike morons, I don't use the new shit. I use the old skool quote system that I learned in grade skool.

which amounts to nothing more than: you won't click a button and show everybody else who you're actually quoting. tell me...is spelling nearly every other word with the letters all bass-ackwards a part of being old skool too? it's an act nearly as tired as Gromnir's and nearly as frustrating.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO IF YOU FAGS CAN MAKE GAMES HALF AS GOOD AS SKYWAY THEN YOU CAN TALK HE IS OLD SCHOOL PLAYING GAMES WAY BACK FROM BALDERS GATE 1!!111

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grunker said:
Totally hardcore. I'm convinced you're a troll now mr. V. DA having lots of stats compared to earlier games? You are a silly rabbit indeed.

Achievement unlocked: realized it's pointless to argue with Volourn

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Once you learn to add your own sarcasm tags to Volly's posts they all start to make more sense.

Murk

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Exactly! Yet Arcanum had lots of statistics. Not only main stats, but lots of skills, spells, craft system, items getting damaged etc plust a few feats - all of this is governed by stats and math. And ToEE aka DnD system is just as simple to understand even though it has lots of stats around.

There were very few actual abilities, attributes, or stats that were derived from 3 or more other stats tho.

Skills and magical/technical aptitude are really the only two cases of derived multi-input stats I can think. Something like melee was dependent on dex, str, melee level, and attack speed... right? Aptitude on the other hand I never figured out down to a precise math, but saw that it was an over-arching stat that influenced the effectiveness/critical level of tech/magic.

There's not a great deal of anything else I can think of that is terribly over derived, and if it is derived, it was usually a straight equation with little convolution. And often the stats required for something were more of a litmus test/threshold required than an actual varying degree --- cases where you needed X amount of int to build whatever schematic. It wasn't a formulaic derivation like Int times CR of schematic = chance to succeed. It was just "do you have 19 int? yay you get to make the gun!".

Games since then had even less amount of stats, complexity and math - even in recent DnD implementations.

I agree, and I'm not a simplicity-o-phile, I don't mind things complicated, but I understand where Sawyer's coming from in wanting things to be Parsimonious and uncluttered, as despite whatever wording he uses or interpretation you use, ultimately the real goal of the article is to state that parsimony in game systems is good.

Thus I don't understand why Sawyer says what he says. But such design philosopy surely won't help the dying patient aka Fallout New Reno.

Nothing will help fallout 3, the game is flawed from its inception in ways that I'm not okay with to allow any manner of bondo or duct tape to fix -- but the design philosophy isn't flawed. For a game to be deep, complex, and interesting it does not require a game system to be convoluted, and a situation where 3 of your physical stats govern something like "chance to hit" can very easily become convoluted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom