Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
MotB is an expansion not a full game, so the entire campaign is meant to be hasty. :M

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
MotB is an expansion not a full game, so the entire campaign is meant to be hasty. :M
Well, yeah, but there's a difference between "a short game" and "lolwat?". The rest of MotB is amazing - it's just the ending that is abrupt and thrown together. It's especially jarring considering the high quality of the rest of the game. It's obvious that the intent was that that act was supposed to be longer, not just a poorly scripted wrap-up.

Sizzle

Arcane
Let me repeat - there was nothing missing in MoTB's ending. Either you're confusing it with something else, or you're just making shit up.
No need to make shit up. Play through the game again and don't be retarded about it. It's quite obvious that it was all extremely hastily wrapped up, much like the KotOR2 ending. Stepping through the portal (or whatever the fuck it was called, my memory is fuzzy) is very much like landing on Malachor V, although not quite as short (they still managed to force in the bare-bones).

Dude, there's a big, big difference between the endings of those two games.

MoTB's involved going to the place that was hinted almost from the beginning - where every single plot and character thread was neatly wrapped up.

TSL's was a mishmash of cut-content, bugs and unresolved plot points.

You may personally consider MoTB to be hasty and unfinished (I would very much disagree with you there - it ended exactly where and how it should have - but, to each his own), but comparing it to TSL is downright silly.

Rev

Arcane
Sorry for the people at Obsidian that lost their job over this AW situation, but hopefully something good will come out of it. No one was happy to see them working on some shitty f2p tank game and, despite Obsidian's devs obvious denials, I don't think they were happy with it either.
Now that they're in a more stable condition than five years ago, we can all hope that they dedicate all their time and energies on more interesting projects.

Deleted member 7219

FYI, I've learned that Anthony Davis has not been fired.

There have been layoffs, but they haven't exactly been unexpected.

Apart from a gap during the development of Fallout: New Vegas, Anthony has been with Obsidian since KOTOR 2. Glad to see he's still there. I hope he can be put to work on the Cain/Boyarsky game.

Deleted member 7219

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343498

Armored Warfare just got axed apparently.

4L7OZ2p.png
lol MCA trying to make Obsidian seem doomed. They just moved development to russia since the game is done.

I just ignore Chris Avellone's Twitter now.

Rev

Arcane
Yeah, I've already said it before but his tweets make him look like a ditched girlfriend who can't go on with her life and just has to make everyone know how her previous boyfriend was bad in bed and how she has move on even if all she does is talking about her, while her ex doesn't give a shit about her anymore.

The funny thing is that he wrote an entire dlc (Dead Money) about letting go, and after almost two years he still can't do it.

Deleted member 7219

Yeah, I've already said it before but his tweets make him look like a ditched girlfriend who can't go on with her life and just has to make everyone know how her previous boyfriend was bad in bed and how she has move on even if all she does is talking about her, while her ex doesn't give a shit about her anymore.

The funny thing is that he wrote an entire dlc (Dead Money) about letting go, and after almost two years he still can't do it.

He's actually got worse. For me, the end of rhine was when he passively aggressively live-tweeted his response to the Feargus IGN interview. It was really sad to see someone venting his private issues in such a public way.

We don't know who the wronged party is, but Feargus and Sawyer have been vocal recently in wishing Avellone well (Feargus said so on the Figstarter, Sawyer has talked about Avellone a few times in interviews and Q&As). All Avellone can do is talk about how he likes the developers at Obsidian, but trashes "the management", which we all know really means one person.

Sorry to the staff for derailing this thread with adolescent drama - but everyone needs to know about it. Whatever Avellone tweets of Obsidian now has to be taken with a heavy pinch of salt.

Rev

Arcane
He's actually got worse. For me, the end of rhine was when he passively aggressively live-tweeted his response to the Feargus IGN interview. It was really sad to see someone venting his private issues in such a public way.

We don't know who the wronged party is, but Feargus and Sawyer have been vocal recently in wishing Avellone well (Feargus said so on the Figstarter, Sawyer has talked about Avellone a few times in interviews and Q&As). All Avellone can do is talk about how he likes the developers at Obsidian, but trashes "the management", which we all know really means one person.

Sorry to the staff for derailing this thread with adolescent drama - but everyone needs to know about it. Whatever Avellone tweets of Obsidian now has to be taken with a heavy pinch of salt.
The sad thing is that I would actually like to see him seriously working on a game, instead of bitching about Obsidian on twitter and doing minor, useless work on dozens of other companies's games. Despite his childish behaviour toward Obsidian, I liked his past contributions more often than not and would be interested to see if he has other crazy ideas to work on.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
[...]

Nah, I'm sure it's legit. In this particular adolescent drama, my choice of side was obvious long before it started.

The fact that Feargus and Sawyer have been vocally wishing Avellon well could just as well be passive-aggressive baiting. There's few things worse than public insincere posturing and well-wishing from a private antagonist. If there's a catfight between Feargus/Sawyer and Avellone, my money is on Avellone.

And I'd lose that money, but at least I'd have.. something.

The sad thing is that I would actually like to see him seriously working on a game, instead of bitching about Obsidian on twitter and doing minor, useless work on dozens of other companies's games. Despite his childish behaviour toward Obsidian, I liked his past contributions more often than not and would be interested to see if he has other crazy ideas to work on.
This I can agree with. Avellone should move on, and get a steady job with something or someone that isn't shit, not get caught in the Californian circle-jerk, but actually sit down and write quality shit, even if it'd be for First-Person Shooter #271 (as much as I'd think that would be a waste of talent). At least there's a chance that it'd be an interesting First-Person Shooter #271. Being involved with bits and pieces spread across multiple different projects, with a snippet of text here and an NPC there is shit.

Have we finally found out what can change the nature of a man?

:balance:
We always knew that the answer to that question was a pussy, anyway.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
FYI, I've learned that Anthony Davis has not been fired.

There have been layoffs, but they haven't exactly been unexpected.

Apart from a gap during the development of Fallout: New Vegas, Anthony has been with Obsidian since KOTOR 2. Glad to see he's still there. I hope he can be put to work on the Cain/Boyarsky game.

Yeah, I've been with Obsidian since 2003. There was a two year gap between 2011 and 2013 where I went to Texas for a bit. So... 12 years total?

I would love to work on that that project, but they don't really need me right now. FYI: that Project has a state attached to it, it's Indiana. So in the future, as you guys/gals speculate, just call it Project Indiana.

Fry

Arcane
I would love to work on that that project, but they don't really need me right now. FYI: that Project has a state attached to it, it's Indiana. So in the future, as you guys/gals speculate, just call it Project Indiana.

Hmm.

Is there a Project Mississippi?

2house2fly

Magister
The fact that Feargus and Sawyer have been vocally wishing Avellon well could just as well be passive-aggressive baiting. There's few things worse than public insincere posturing and well-wishing from a private antagonist.
Feargus maybe, but Sawyer's mentions of Avellone have included a youtube video where he briefly mentioned that Avellone was responsible for a bunch of the story design rules they still follow today, and in a Q&A he mentioned that Avellone had actually recommended they not do the dialogue narration on voiced lines, which he turned out to be 100% right about. I'm sure they venomously hated each other but I can't see Sawyer's mentions of him as baiting at all.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
Let me repeat - there was nothing missing in MoTB's ending. Either you're confusing it with something else, or you're just making shit up.
No need to make shit up. Play through the game again and don't be retarded about it. It's quite obvious that it was all extremely hastily wrapped up, much like the KotOR2 ending. Stepping through the portal (or whatever the fuck it was called, my memory is fuzzy) is very much like landing on Malachor V, although not quite as short (they still managed to force in the bare-bones).

Dude, there's a big, big difference between the endings of those two games.

MoTB's involved going to the place that was hinted almost from the beginning - where every single plot and character thread was neatly wrapped up.

TSL's was a mishmash of cut-content, bugs and unresolved plot points.

You may personally consider MoTB to be hasty and unfinished (I would very much disagree with you there - it ended exactly where and how it should have - but, to each his own), but comparing it to TSL is downright silly.

I don't recall MotB's ending being significantly compromised to meet any deadlines. Anything players don't like about it can be blamed on our decisions, not a lack of time. =)

(As has been revealed before, there was an area toward the end that we cut, but we did that very early (before anything was really designed for it) and ultimately thought the result improved the pacing of the game's ending. And as with most/all/many games, there were things we would have done (or done differently) if we had more resources/time. But, while finalizing the game was a fairly tough march for the team, we didn't rush to complete it and we didn't make any major sacrifices from our intended design.)

Israfael

Arcane
MotB had two issues:
1) it did not even launch without day one 100+ mb patch which was a pain to download from overloaded bioware (not sure if bioware) update servers
2) ending was limited because wotc prohibited them to break the wall for the sake of setting consistency

Otherwise it was the max quality the engine allowed (which was rushed and had to be patched 7 times before it became semi playable in 1.06+)

throwaway

Cipher
What the fuck is wrong with being disappointed at not being able to bring down the wall anyway?

inb4 Trump analogy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom