Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Entertainment

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
What do you think guys we should expect from the company? I was an Obsiadian fan boy prior to the release of FO: NV and DS3. But know I just don't know what to expect.
It has made some pretty good games in the past like Kotor2 (one of my personal favourites) and Motb. But recently the company started making shit games like dungeon siege 3 and AP (Even though I personally liked it, I think it was a poor game overall). Is there any chance that they will develop something worthy of attention? Or have they fired everyone talented enough for producing a quality RPG (You probably know better who was laid of).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian was always a company full of halfway decent writers, amateur modders, mediocre artists, and lousy programmers who couldn't make a good game to save their lives, they never had anyone talented enough to produce a quality RPG. Expect nothing but modern-RPG-clones with marginally better writing, just as they've always done.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Roguey said:
Obsidian was always a company full of halfway decent writers, amateur modders, mediocre artists, and lousy programmers who couldn't make a good game to save their lives, they never had anyone talented enough to produce a quality RPG. Expect nothing but modern-RPG-clones with marginally better writing, just as they've always done.

Isn't that a bit too harsh? Motb and Kotor2 were both great. Programmers are probably and will be lousy, but it's not a tragedy...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
l3loodAngel said:
Isn't that a bit too harsh? Motb and Kotor2 were both great. Programmers are probably and will be lousy, but it's not a tragedy...
I'd hardly call either of those great, mediocre at best. They're not particularly fun to play which is the most important aspect of any given game regardless of genre.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Roguey said:
l3loodAngel said:
I'd hardly call either of those great, mediocre at best. They're not particularly fun to play which is the most important aspect of any given game regardless of genre.

They were both fun for me.Ofcourse they are not as fun as FO, but still fun nonetheless. And they are both in my top 10 rpgs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Roguey said:
Yet they are our last hope for good mainstream RPGs (they and Piranha Bytes). Or are you putting your faith into Bioware and Bethesda?

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Roguey said:
l3loodAngel said:

If you want to be some mainstream cunt hole who can't see the good in some of these games then you should join Kotaku or something because YOUR opinion gel more with that site.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
when AoD sells more copies than Minecraft I hope VD cuts these indies a break and lets them develop a spinoff

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
They're like the youth camp basketball all-star...

...who turns out to be a collegiate MVP who suffered brain damage in a car accident and can still play pretty well (against children) but will trot out to the court with a brown load in his pants unless he's watched carefully.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Obsidian games usually suffer from bugs and plotholes which hurt gameplay. Fallout New Vegas is an exeption, that game ('s story) was great.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Don't worry guys, with NWN2 Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off, unlike KotOR2 which LucasArts basically forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with Alpha Protocol Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off, unlike NWN2 which Atari basically forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with New Vegas Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off, unlike Alpha Protocol which Sega forced them to release unfinished.

Don't worry guys, with Dungeon Siege 3 Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off, unlike New Vegas which Bethesda forced them to release unfinished and full of game breaking bugs.

Don't worry guys, with ($GAME_NAME$) Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off, unlike Dungeon Shit 3 which Square Enix forced them to release unfinished and broken.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
racofer said:
Don't worry guys
Wmilg.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
racofer said:
Don't worry guys, with Dungeon Siege 3 Obshit will have the proper time to polish the game and deliver what they're capable off, unlike New Vegas which Bethesda forced them to release unfinished and full of game breaking bugs.
The gameplay might be mediocre, but DS3 is one of the most polished game I've seen in a long time. The game had very few bugs. At least I haven't seen any. And if you have, that means you have a half-assed PC. :M

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
J_C said:
The gameplay might be mediocre, but DS3 is one of the most polished game I've seen in a long time

lots of trollin dwarves these days

don't stoop so low you guys

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Feargus Urquhart said:
I think the thing is when it comes to the console, and maybe all gamers, it has to be accessible, people have to be led into it.

Feargus Urquhart said:
No one would get through character creation nowadays.

J.E. Sawyer said:
Publishers want the best return on their investment, which often motivates them to do things that in opposition to final game quality.

J.E. Sawyer said:
i admit that sometimes i am the designer who requests close on bugs with the equivalent of "learn to play, n00blord" as the reason.

J.E. Sawyer said:
I've had groin pulls that were more fun than KotOR combat

Chris Avellone said:
I never liked the cinematic feel of the game, but that was the request and one of the pillars, so we did that. I would rather all the animation budget have been spent on combat, stealth, or other game mechanics. Also, I’d have dropped one romance, at least. I hate them normally, and having 4 in one game, all of which I had to write, was a pain in the ass. I lobbied for killing the Scarlet romance (spoiler, though probably not a shock if you’ve played past the first mission) and successfully got a 5th romance kicked from the game, but the others remained like a taint.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Prediction:

that Wheel of Time game they're making gets canned and they end up making a sequel.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The publisher for the WoT series had no money and was/is still in the process of gaining money for the games development.

That's why there was no further word about this game.

dr. one

Augur
A D&D role playing game with honeycomb quest structure and controversial camera solution.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom