Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Entertainment

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
... should make a new Vampire RPG. That would be awesome, amirite? They do still have that Mitsoda guy who was the lead writer on bloodlines don't they?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Sawyer has hinted that their Alien game might be similar to Bloodlines. And Mitsoda was working on Alpha Protocol but isn't anymore according to an article I read. No idea if he left the company or just working on a different project.

Funny, I PMed a Dev a few weeks ago and they actually did some WOD campaigns sometime back. I guess it's been talked about and it'd be great to do. Sadly the person I spoke with didn't know who owned the rights to make the actual game.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah, we definitely need a new wampire rpg. The setting for The Masquerade is just awesome.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I'd be content even if it was set on Requiem (which it would probably have to be). If they nailed the atmosphere like troika did it would be awesome anyway. Playing as a vampire was just great.

Playing as a mortal would be very interesting to do. Being thrust into the World of Darkness and defining your role as a mortal in that. May you become a detective, hunter, or the like. Just as long as you are not in a world full of vampires and mages and prometheans. Isn't it 100,000 to 1 with Kindred/Kine ratio? :shock:

Raapys

Arcane
Might be, but I'd rather be a vampire. It's just more interesting. I'd like them to bring back some of the stuff from the old game though, like when you defeat other vampires you gain their abilities and such.

Dire Roach

Prophet
imgphpmodereleasepath10ob6.jpg
:?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I personally think a WoD game would be sweet. Travis Stout was the designer here who was running the WoD campaign, and even though I didn't get to play, apparently it was big fun.

Mitsoda is no longer with Obsidian. Mitsoda and Annie Carlson have moved to Seattle to write wordz* and stuff.

*=both are actually very talented writers and I guess it just makes sense.

... should make a new Vampire RPG. That would be awesome, amirite?

Have you read the new settings?

WoD has been very dumbed down for this Nu WoD crap, in a shameful attempt to reach a wider market. While the Old WoD was of a more "literary" inclination, the New one is just banal and mundane, without a soul or a theme beyond "stupid, hollow modern fantasy trying to relate to the interest of the unwashed masses."

Where the old Vampire presented a setting with immortal, paranoid monsters trying to manipulate everything around them to extend their lifetime some decades more and trying to keep at least a shadow of their identity as to give reason to such existence, the new one has been mostly reduced to the level of cheap horror writing.

Where the old Mage showed a great deal of research into occult traditions, philosophies, and beliefs and then mixed it with some interesting theories and ideas about the nature of reality, the new one is about... fucking Atlanteans with a thirst for power!

Where the old Changeling was an exploration of imagination, creativity, mythology, imposible dreams, subjective reality, exploring the role of such concepts in both human nature and society and then presenting several tie ins with the concepts of Mage, the new one is about... wait for it... abused children with powers.

Do you REALLY want a new Vampire game, when everything that made The Masquerade, and the whole of WoD, worthwile and memorable is gone, turned into mundane, banal concepts most retards in the street can relate to without too much of an effort?

Nah. Let Vampire and WoD rest in peace. Their time is long past.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Have you read the new settings?

WoD has been very dumbed down for this Nu WoD crap, in a shameful attempt to reach a wider market. While the Old WoD was of a more "literary" inclination, the New one is just banal and mundane, without a soul or a theme beyond "stupid, hollow modern fantasy trying to relate to the interest of the unwashed masses."

I haven't read the rest but : Jesus Christ, man.
This setting was in modern day with vampires for all I care.
You're such a smart motherfucker, aren't you? Is there a kind of vampire more interesting then the other? Don't say yes, you need your head in a toilet. We just don't want elves anymore, the rest keep it to yourself. Wider market? Who plays this, seriously? How much do you think the market can be made wide for pen and paper play? Who cares? Unwashed masses, jesus, what is this. 'Literary inclination' is right, it's not literature, just go to jail.

Oh yeah, this is the Codex, I forget, sorry I said anything

Circuitous

Novice
Wow. Yeah, jeez..

I've read the new settings, but the only "old" setting I had the chance to read was Vampire. Aside from largely pointless restructurings it doesn't seem a damn bit different. It's just as whiny, pathetic, and paranoid as it ever was. Reading the story examples (and how the wording makes it feel almost required) is just painful.

Here hold on let me get you an excerpt. This is from Second Sight.

After all that, the hard work is done and it's time to let your imagination run free. Chronicles about reality-bending horrors are both visceral and psychological, getting at the deepest roots of human fears and desires. Now is your chance to kick over a proberbial log to see what squirming, writhing creatures lurk underneath. Generate ideas, horrible concepts full of violation, victimization, and terror. Think of scenes based on uncertainty, on things lurking just beyond the corner of the eye that can kill when not seen, and that can drive mortals mad when witnessed straight on. Everything in this type of story should be horrid and portentous. Not knowing leaves one alone in the dark: stalked, raped, devoured, helpless. But finding out the truth can be even worse, driving one mad with visions of eons of hatred and defilement, knowledge that nothing in the universe is safe or sane, or ever can be.

Sounds like a good time.

I use WoD for the general setting and the system only. The writing is shit and always has been. What's the bloody point of playing if all you're supposed to do is act out the worst of what you do already?

Serious_Business said:

Go and show how any of the changes i pointed to is false, or shut the fuck up. I didn't say "one kind of vampire is better than another", i said "The original WoD was inspired by myths and stories closely related, or exploring, human insecurities and nature". The end result was up to the master, but the setting itself was influenced by such works. The new setting is just pulp-ish, mundane shit.

And i didn't say it was literature, i said it had "literary inclinations". Go and read the suggested reading materials offered as a basic reading list in the rulebooks, at times including very specialized books on occult beliefs, mythology, classic literature. Those were the themes they were exploring when making up the settings, and thus those "elements" were an intrinsic part of them.

I have both played and GMed Old WoD chronicles that mutated into very long, very deep, very interesting philosophical explorations thanks to the themes of the setting resonating with a very "cultured" group of players - The potential was there. When that same group of players saw the new mage book the reunion mutated into several hours of laughing their asses of and parodying the new material. Yes, your run of the mill "plain guy" is not going to know the difference, but people with interests beyond fucking, taking a crap, and eating perceived the themes much more clearly than you think.

[Edit] Wow, i really missed being a condescending snob in the Codex.

Circuitous

Novice
The Rambling Sage said:
I have both played and GMed Old WoD chronicles that mutated into very long, very deep, very interesting philosophical explorations thanks to the themes of the setting resonating with a very "cultured" group of players - The potential was there. When that same group of players saw the new mage book the reunion mutated into several hours of laughing their asses of and parodying the new material. Yes, your run of the mill "plain guy" is not going to know the difference, but people with interests beyond fucking, taking a crap, and eating perceived the themes much more clearly than you think.

That sure is fascinating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom