Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion wins the 'Golden Joystick' award.

User was nabbed fit

Code:
Publisher of the Year:    	  Electronic Arts

Online Game of the Year:    	  Age of Empires III

Yeah, so I guess that coming from the dipshits who awarded the above, this means a fucking lot.

Edit: oh yeah, and all these hyped-up VG award ceremonies are just BJ contests (good publicity); only the big names win. Same for BAFTA; when some of the "big people" behind the games were interviewed, they always said "Pacman" or some shit like that when asked what their favorite game was... truth is, Pacman probably is the last game most of them have played, and they're laughing at all the people they're making money off of (further proof that they only care about the latter).
It's always Pacman or space invaders. In fact one of the guys didn't even know the name "Pacman", he just did a motion with his hand which looked like the little dude eating pills, and then the reporter said "Pacman?" and he was like "yeah, uh, yeah, that's it!".

MacBone

Scholar
I like GIGN's post.

GIGN said:
EA = "Publisher of the Year"? LOL... all these big video game "award ceremonies" are whack; it's all about who can receive as much publicity as possible, nothing to do with quality. EA sucks, and everyone knows that. They keep making rehashes of all their older games, yet they somehow even manage to make them worse. Hmmm, reminds me of some other people.

But a "Joystick" award goes well for a pseudo-RPG.

But of course, Summer's post is much better.
Summer said:
TheManEatingHamster said:
Hooray, hooray, hooray. Three cheers for Oblivion. All hail Bethesda, all hail Patrick Stewart, all hail the future of RPGs. Hooray.

This is a celebratory thread, if you would like to criticize or debate its worth please use one of the critical review threads or various debate threads that are open.

Texas Red

Whiner
Game of the year, is it? What about NWN 2 and G3(and other genre titles I may not be aware of)? The year is not over yet. Oh, I know! The award is conveniently made up before the Christmas sales. You will probably see a huge advertisement for Oblivion there soon.

User was nabbed fit

The GESFtapo strikes again; all dissent erased from the thread. And there wasn't even anything that could be considered hurtful to the widdle kiddies ears...

Some mod want to pull an explanation out of his ass for that?

gcs0283snn7.jpg

gcs0286sly8.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
EA is fuckin' awesome! All EA dissenters are fuckin' retarded piece of shits who are crippled and suck at sports so whine that sports rule all!!!!

MacBone

Scholar
This is all very Orwellian, isn't it? Let's just cut those posts out. They weren't ever there. Yay, Bethesda! Sucks is Love!

Texas Red

Whiner
Greatatlantic said:
N.B., this was determined by a public vote. So as much as we love to insult the publisher-puppet-press, this one we can pin on the press-puppet-people.

And why did they have to have the GOTY award before the year wasnt even over? You people believe that the reviewers are bribed and yet you dont question the poll results? Although it wouldnt matter due to the huge following of Oblibion.

Vipera

Scholar
If they feel Gothic 3 or NWN 2 are deserving of the award, they will give it to them this time next year.

It's not like they deprived any other games of the chance at a GotY award.

suibhne

Erudite
Vipera said:
If they feel Gothic 3 or NWN 2 are deserving of the award, they will give it to them this time next year.

It's not like they deprived any other games of the chance at a GotY award.

That logic works out only if CVG makes it crystal-clear that "the year" = October 2005 through September 2006. They don't say this anywhere, either in their individual award announcements or on the "Joystick" blog. Your apologia sounds a little like Geordi pulling something out of his ass to save the Enterprise from yet another gas anomaly. :D

I'm not sure the Golden Joystick awards have anything to do with CVG specifically, tho. And the time period of the awards themselves is probably well-defined; I'm guessing this is just shoddy reporting from CVG, or maybe just a shitty website that prevents me from finding any piece of context.

Vipera

Scholar
You could just look to see when last year's GotY was awarded.

I agree with the website comment, it's annoying trying to find anything there.

suibhne

Erudite
Er...are you talking about CVG's GOTY? The Golden Joystick Awards? What?

And how does my ability to Google the awards exonerate CVG from proper reporting?

suibhne

Erudite
Yes, they've had them for more than two decades. Your point is?

(And yes, the awards are CVG's baby.)

Anyway, I think we both agree that the awards will be available to NWN2, G3, etc. next year. My only (very crotchety) point is that the websites sucks - both the CVG site and the Golden Joystick site - since neither one clearly state the time period covered by this year's awards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom