Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion will hit stores on March 21

Rendelius

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Well, first, downloading the CS is an unnecessary pain, second, it fucks up people on dial-up, especially those who pay per time used.

I think your Bethbashing gets more and more pathetic day by day. Sorry to say, but that's my impression.

kohla

Educated
[begin sarcasm]

Oh, joy! Finally.

[end sarcasm]

I guess I will get it eventually..maybe after the second patch! Besides I doubt my current rig wil be able to handle OB adequately. To be honest Morrowind was pretty stable compared to DF and I was impressed with Bethesda. Of course Bloodmoon kind of tanked it again for me and kathode's "we screwed up" comments in the ESF didn't help either.

Thrawn05

Scholar
I find it strange that the CS would be for download. I mean they are using a DVD, and I'm sure that even without compression a single layer 4.7GB disc should be able to handle a 10MB program.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
@ Rendelius:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... ht=#161726
@vaultdweller:

In 43 years being on this planet I have learned that there are people not worth discussing with, since they seem to have some allergy to a civilized exchange of arguments. You are most certainly one of them, and I should have believed others who said so. Best luck from here onwards.

:IGNORER:
Rendelius, last time we've had a discussion (see that link above), you've made a big fuss about "uncivilized exchange of argument". So, let me ask you then, why the fuck do you use words like pathetic in regard to my very light criticism of that CS dealio? My advice to your hypocritical ass, don't start something if you are not ready to play along.

Anyway, back to the topic, when CS is a part of the package, I very much prefer to have it on disk when I buy a game in a store. If that's pathetic, well, I don't have much to say to you. You are, obviously, a better and more adaptable human being.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
[baseless paranoia]OMG! They don't include CS with the release because they need to have time to strip it from some essential functions so that some types of mods could only be made by Bethesda so that the MegaNaziCompany could charge extra $$$ for doing so![/baseless paranoia][?]

Thrawn05

Scholar
If the CS is free, then the cost of internet traffic from all the CS downloading is already part of the game price. The real question would be where are all the resource files? Does Bethesda think everyone has 733T 3DsMax skillz? I can't see them keeping at least 600MB of files on the net for too long without some extra income coming in... oh wait, DRM mods, I forgot.

Seboss

Liturgist
The Morrrowind CS was a 10MB program but the ressources files took up a whole CD.
My guess is that they could not stuff the game+TES on a single DVD. Packaging is ready for months so there's no way to add a second DVD to the pack. We already know the end.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Seboss said:
The Morrrowind CS was a 10MB program but the ressources files took up a whole CD.
My guess is that they could not stuff the game+TES on a single DVD. Packaging is ready for months so there's no way to add a second DVD to the pack. We already know the end.

The whole thing just sounds fishy to me. They may say it's free, but I have my doubts. They might require people to sign in to ESF before downloading, shutting the codexers out! :lol:

elander_

Arbiter
The size of the new tescs will not be that big. You didn't require the extra cd in Morrowind to create mods. I guess all the content is already in Oblivion dvd packed in .bsa files or whatever format they choose and the cs can access it inside the archive.

Antiphon

Scholar
I'm hoping that it's because they wanted to use the time while the DVDs, boxes and "cool coin" are being made and shipped to improve the CS. Maybe we might get a real manual?

I realize that expressing hope is against the moral code of the Codex and I pray you all will forgive my transgression.

elander_

Arbiter
Antiphon said:
I realize that expressing hope is against the moral code of the Codex and I pray you all will forgive my transgression.

Hoping is for sissies. We discuss the hard facts of life here.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
@ Rendelius:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... ht=#161726
@vaultdweller:

In 43 years being on this planet I have learned that there are people not worth discussing with, since they seem to have some allergy to a civilized exchange of arguments. You are most certainly one of them, and I should have believed others who said so. Best luck from here onwards.

:IGNORER:
Rendelius, last time we've had a discussion (see that link above), you've made a big fuss about "uncivilized exchange of argument". So, let me ask you then, why the fuck do you use words like pathetic in regard to my very light criticism of that CS dealio? My advice to your hypocritical ass, don't start something if you are not ready to play along.

Anyway, back to the topic, when CS is a part of the package, I very much prefer to have it on disk when I buy a game in a store. If that's pathetic, well, I don't have much to say to you. You are, obviously, a better and more adaptable human being.

Oh. My. God.

Have you lost your sense for what it's like when someone is pulling your leg and sticks out the tongue? I thought I could start a little catfight with you then, but no, Mister decides to use words like ass and fuck. Well, until you reenter the state called "reasonable" again, take the second and stick it up your first. Seems I am spot on with my complaints about you not really being into civilized arguments. "Fuck" and "ass" and "not ready to play along" - wow! You really impressed me!

And being on topic: most likely the CS isn't ready for release yet, and they just didn't want to delay the release of the game further. Or they had problems fitting the CS on the DVD (from all what I have heard before, they had a VERY hard time to compress everything needed for the game there). Or whatever. Gavin from Bethsoft already stated that it will be for free, so what's the deal? The remaining 15 modem users will find other ways getting it should it be too large for them to download, and for the rest of us, the download will be finished in what, 5 minutes max? So I think the fact that the CS isn't on the disk is a pity, but is it an "unneccessary pain" and "fucking up people on dial-up"? Cmon.

Section8

Cipher
Meh, it's not a big deal. Mod tools are always just a bonus. Of course, I can see how the very hollow nature of the Morrowind sets a precedent for the game being seen as more of a DIY RPG kit than a game worthy of it's own merits.

Of course, given Bethesda's methods, it wouldn't surprise me to see the CS delayed, nerfed, etc due to perceived threats to their own saleable content. But I'm not going to wax paranoic about it.

Seboss

Liturgist
#deep announcer voice#
Will Rendelius take the heat ? Will VD and Rendelius be buddies again ? You got to know in our next episode of #enters booming music# Oblivion bashing party !

poooom-tchak-poom-poom-tchak
#fade out#

Come on people, don't let spiteful little flames undermine the quality of these boards please.

Rendelius

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
Rendelius is the worst thing to come from RPGDot since Corwin.

Corwin is an angel compared to me. I am shit all over. And when I look at comments like yours, I feel I perfectly blend in.

One Wolf

Scholar
I seriously doubt it has do to anything with user friendliness, more like DRM.

that shit will be cracked and posted on torrent/p2p so fast they might as well not bother.

Seboss

Liturgist
They can't let the official PC mods unprotected while X360 users are stuck paying for them, well until there's a modchip available that is.

One Wolf

Scholar
randlius said:
I am shit all over.

i find your use of the word shit uncivilized and unreasonable.

seabass said:
They can't let the official PC mods unprotected while X360 users are stuck paying for them, well until there's a modchip available that is.

this is when piracy is acceptable, and partially why it exists.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Rendelius said:
LlamaGod said:
Rendelius is the worst thing to come from RPGDot since Corwin.

Corwin is an angel compared to me. I am shit all over. And when I look at comments like yours, I feel I perfectly blend in.

Is it possible to be in a state below Corwin?

Its like

-
-
-
Hitler
Susan
Corwin

Dhruin

Liturgist
According to kathode, they thought the CS wouldn't fit on the DVD, as Rend suggested. Take that as you will.

HardCode

Erudite
What I REALLY want to know is, when I walk into Best Buy, will there be a compass pointing the way to the shelf with Oblivion on it? Because who wants to be bothered listening to a store employee give directions, or read the flyer?

One Wolf

Scholar
What I REALLY want to know is, when I walk into Best Buy, will there be a compass pointing the way to the shelf with Oblivion on it? Because who wants to be bothered listening to a store employee give directions, or read the flyer?

actually they just installed teleporters.

Drakron

Arcane
Dhruin said:
According to kathode, they thought the CS wouldn't fit on the DVD, as Rend suggested. Take that as you will.

Thinking does not appear to be a high priority in Bethsoft it seens ...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom