Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Oblivion sells like hotcakes!

Excrément

Arbiter
Volourn said:
I blame the Codex for Oblivion's success. :twisted:

by systematically bashing the game, yeah, the Codex is part of the Oblivion hype.

it's like the great movie, movie can't be great or a total success without a little controversy.

and each thread about Oblivion or post makes one more "hit point" for Oblivion in google.

bryce777

Erudite
Excrément said:
Volourn said:
I blame the Codex for Oblivion's success. :twisted:

by systematically bashing the game, yeah, the Codex is part of the Oblivion hype.

it's like the great movie, movie can't be great or a total success without a little controversy.

and each thread about Oblivion or post makes one more "hit point" for Oblivion in google.

Yeah, the maltese falcon has tons of bashers.

User was nabbed fit

Oblivion created controversy because its developers tried to push it on CRPG fans (and posers). It would've been fine if they'd have just said something along the lines of: "Hey guys, we're going to be making this mainsteam, mediocre, but varied, action-adventure game", but they didn't. The posers have been lapping it up, because they don't know WTF a CRPG is in the first place anyway; on the other hand, hardcore CRPG fans haven't been buying it (apart from those who also like the occasional action-adventure game, like me).

So, we end up with having one side comprimised of neophytes, fanboys and fucktards who are lapping it all up, thinking that it's an RPG (because gosh, it has stats!); then on the other side, you have the people who recognize the fact that it isn't much more than a dungeon-crawler with CRPG elements; people who didn't buy Beth's bullshiat. Put simply, it's rookies vs. connoisseurs -- no need to guess which is the superior side.

It's not the same with "controversial" films. The disputes that are argued between sides, revolve around the content of the film itself (ethics etc), not stuff like "it's an action film, but it was advertised as a thriller!".

So you see, saying that Oblivion is a "controversial" game in the classical sense, is giving it too much credit.

:lol:

Data4

Arcane
What cracks me up every time I go to the ESF is that they label us as whiners, but will also call us fanboys. It's like the definition is undergoing a shift in much the same way "dumbing down" has.

I also love it how any random poster will call himself a "hardcore RPG fan", because he entered the scene with Morrowind, and maybe played a little bit of NWN. I dunno... most of us here at the Codex are what could be considered immune to marketing, and it just ups the level of frustration when I see people not only buy into hype, but also turn into full fledged evangelists for the hype.

I have a theory that they do this as a form of denial. Maybe as long as they post on a forum somewhere talking about how wonderful and PERFECT the game is, they'll maintain their denial dorkshield or something. Every time someone posts any sort of problem whatsoever, these same fuckwits will rally to shout it down, lest the shield lose it's integrity and they... *GASP!* ...see that there is a glitch in their little matrix. I've recently been in a scuffle with Rendelius over this, and it earned me a 25% warning because I stepped on his dick, or whatever. :lol:

-D4

Whipporowill

Erudite
Jaesun said:
I buy retail every day so I know a little about this subject.

Wow, that's harsh. I only know the policy for books and cd's here in Sweden, but if you as a retailer buy bulk - and if it's a supposed hot property you usually have some kind of return policy. Just so that you as a retailer will be more likely to buy more... et c.

Excrément

Arbiter
Data4 said:
I've recently been in a scuffle with Rendelius over this, and it earned me a 25% warning because I stepped on his dick, or whatever. :lol:

-D4

the ultimate achievement for a codexer : get a warning from a ESF moderator!!! whaouh!

I am proud of you son! you are a true warrior, your bravery is impressive.

Data4

Arcane
Excrément said:
Data4 said:
I've recently been in a scuffle with Rendelius over this, and it earned me a 25% warning because I stepped on his dick, or whatever. :lol:

-D4

the ultimate achievement for a codexer : get a warning from a ESF moderator!!! whaouh!

Shut up, bitch and swallow this shit.

-D4

Data4

Arcane
micmu said:
You still visit ESF? What for!? :shock:

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's for comic relief, morbid curiosity, or masochism. In truth, I mainly check out the Oblivion mods forum for useful stuff, but occasionally I'll get the urge to jump into the Oblivion General fray. :D

And what the hell is Shit doing with my avatar? God damn it, now it's tainted.

-D4

Excrément

Arbiter
Data4 said:
Excrément said:
Data4 said:

-D4

Shut up, bitch and swallow this shit.

-D4

with 5 words you arrive to make hundreds of posts.
one day I will know your secret. one day I will be you!

let me try :
shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass, shut, bitch, fuck, dumb-down, shit, swallow, dumb-down, shit, swallow, gay, shut, bitch, fuck, dick, dumbass.

Data4 said:
masochism

...ok, I understand...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Whipporowill said:
Jaesun said:
I buy retail every day so I know a little about this subject.

Wow, that's harsh. I only know the policy for books and cd's here in Sweden, but if you as a retailer buy bulk - and if it's a supposed hot property you usually have some kind of return policy. Just so that you as a retailer will be more likely to buy more... et c.

I don't specifically buy Games, but as for all other retail items I buy, I do not get to return the items if I over bought something. Our company (and me) are responsible for the amount bought. However there are some companies that will buy some products if a store happens to have too much of an item. Costco and other companies will buy the overstocked goods.

I don't think buying Games would be all that different from other retail items, as that would just be odd.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Kuato said:
from http://gamedesign.uw.hu/gamedesign0119.html
Publishers have very important relationships with the wholesalers and retailers who comprise the distribution chain. Without these relationships, a publisher would not be able to sell enough products to pay back all the costs they incurred in the production of the game. Getting the game onto the shelves of large chains like Wal-Mart, Target, and Babbages is a must, and that process costs more money. Here is a breakdown of the costs involved in distributing a typical console game:
Retail price of $50.
Wholesale price (the amount retailers pay publishers for the title) = approximately 64% of the retail price or $32.00 per unit.
Cost of goods incurred by publisher = approximately $5.00 per unit.
Co-op advertising costs incurred by publisher = approximately 15% of wholesale price or $4.80 per unit.
Marketing costs incurred by publisher = approximately 8% of wholesale price or $2.56 per unit.
Return of goods contingency estimated by publisher = approximately 12% of wholesale price or $3.84 per unit.

If you subtract the cost of goods ($5.00), the coop advertising costs ($4.80), the marketing costs ($2.56) and the return of goods contingency ($3.84) from the wholesale price ($32.00), you’ll find that the publisher reaps about $15.80 per unit sold or approximately 32% of the retail sale price. This is less than most people imagine. "
Ive also heard that retailers can charge Publishers for shipping costs of the unsold units if it winds up being a great number of potential returns then I think thats where certain bargin bin price point drops happen I guess thats when then return of goods contingency kicks in .

That is actually a good breakdown of how the retail process works. The 64% retail mark up seems a little high. Usually is is around 35 - 40%. But again I dont specifically buy Games. So it could be accurate. As well as the 15% co-op advertising costs, that seems a little high. Usually around 8 - 10%.

As for the "retailers can charge Publishers for shipping costs of the unsold units if it winds up being a great number of potential returns" that just seems odd. As far as I know, the retail store assumes liability of the stock they purchased, period. I just wonder if that is actually true. I'd assume the store just finally end up selling the stock to a company that buys over stocked items. Any Game buyers out there? :o

Drain

Scholar
elander_ said:
The hugly terrain lod textures; npcs faces with texture problems; the clumsy xbox interface; boring and simplistic combat; characters without personality;
Many quest related NPCs do have personalities, even if not as great as in some other RPGs. It is the PC, who does not have any personality. Here are some examples I remembered: Paranoia guy, separated at birth quest drunkard, Arena master(I heard a rumor that you are an idiot. Any truth to that?) Mazoga the orc, Eitar(mostly because of all the jokes and speculations about him), Skingrad count, the guy who stole amulet from a local mages guild head(mages guild head mage guild recommendation quest), etc. Unimportant NPCs usually have 1 or 2 unique strings.

Lumpy

Arcane
Rely on somebody and you're in trouble. That's how it goes.

Data4

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
I heard that the Fighter's Guild is recruiting.

*skips merrily through the streets of Skingrad wearing a rainbow t-shirt... spots KC*

"Psst! You! Ova' heeeere! Yes... You... yes... Meet me behind the Great Chapel tonight at midnight. Don't let anyone follow you. I'll make it worth your whiiiile!"

-D4

Nael

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Yes, we know it doesn't have those things, not really anyway. But does it nonetheless shift some focus back onto what are called 'single player original RPGs' as money-makers again, allowing a canny developer with the right ideals to make something sophisticated, but with the right presentation touches to have broader financial success?

Yeah, until someone actually does make a CRPG with the "right stuff" and a few of us get it, but the rest of the world is confused without having arrows and waypoints like their Hummer H3's GPS and we end back up at square 1 again due to the poor sales of said game. Perhaps by the grace of God a few jewels might make it out the door before the lowest common denominator is factored in again.

And another thing... after reading that damn press release I had to check my calander to make sure we weren't in the year 1984. I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically or bawl like a little girl. So I did both. I also wet myself.

bryce777

Erudite
Nael said:
Twinfalls said:
Yes, we know it doesn't have those things, not really anyway. But does it nonetheless shift some focus back onto what are called 'single player original RPGs' as money-makers again, allowing a canny developer with the right ideals to make something sophisticated, but with the right presentation touches to have broader financial success?

Yeah, until someone actually does make a CRPG with the "right stuff" and a few of us get it, but the rest of the world is confused without having arrows and waypoints like their Hummer H3's GPS and we end back up at square 1 again due to the poor sales of said game. Perhaps by the grace of God a few jewels might make it out the door before the lowest common denominator is factored in again.

And another thing... after reading that damn press release I had to check my calander to make sure we weren't in the year 1984. I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically or bawl like a little girl. So I did both. I also wet myself.

I think publishers assume this is the case. They are also marketing towards 14 year olds, but there are more markets than the 14 year old market to consider. Look how well galactic civilizations did,a nd it's utter shit - people are fucking dying for decent 4x games or decent rpgs that require a little thinking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom