Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion question

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
I heard somewhere that some Oblivion enemies, such as the champion and the end boss, aren't level scaled. Is there any truth to this?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The end boss... well, if you mean

SPOILARZ

Mehrunes Dagon, the Daedra Lord that attacks the Imperial City in the end, I guess he's not level-scaled. He's made to be invincible as you have to enter the temple together with Martin and do some ritual or something to banish him. So, basically, he's just fucking strong. Like, so many HP that you can't kill him without him killing you before you can manage to drain even half of his health.

Lumpy

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
Mehrunes Dagon, the Daedra Lord that attacks the Imperial City in the end, I guess he's not level-scaled. He's made to be invincible as you have to enter the temple together with Martin and do some ritual or something to banish him. So, basically, he's just fucking strong. Like, so many HP that you can't kill him without him killing you before you can manage to drain even half of his health.
I'm pretty sure he's completely invincible, because otherwise a player could still theoretically beat him, which would lead to an alternate ending. And we can't have that.

Rina

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
He's made to be invincible as you have to enter the temple together with Martin and do some ritual or something to banish him. So, basically, he's just fucking strong. Like, so many HP that you can't kill him without him killing you before you can manage to drain even half of his health.

There is a bug that makes him melt down if you shoot him with Wabbajack. :roll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Lumpy said:
JarlFrank said:
I'm pretty sure he's completely invincible, because otherwise a player could still theoretically beat him, which would lead to an alternate ending. And we can't have that.

I actually swung my sword at him when he came and tried to beat the crap out of him just to see what happens. His health meter went down, I saw it, but it was just by a small amount. I wonder what happens if you manage to kill him, though.

I bet you will still have to enter the temple and do the ritual with Martin, and in the end Dagon will just walk into the temple as if I hadn't killed him at all. That's the easiest way for Bethesda to handle it.

Lingwe

Liturgist
Even if you kill it with the console you still get the cutscene at the end. It is quite sad how they had to use a Deus ex Machina cause they wanted to go with some "demon lord invades the world" plot.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If you killed him, he wouldn't die, he'd just go unconscious... Just like all the other "invincible" NPCs.

Sodomy

Scholar
Umbra is not level scaled, but she's the only one I can think of.

Noceur

Liturgist
Sodomy said:
Umbra is not level scaled, but she's the only one I can think of.

You sure? I've beaten her easy at a low level, but had a difficult time beating her with a higher level character. Both melee based.

Wait a second... I just realized I don't care. :P

Texas Red

Whiner
What is the plot of Oblivion? From the beginning you know that demons invade the world. And? Any twist? They didnt hire the author of Eragon as the designer, did they?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Walkin' Dude said:
What is the plot of Oblivion? From the beginning you know that demons invade the world. And? Any twist? They didnt hire the author of Eragon as the designer, did they?

You seriously expect a plot twist from Oblivion?

Well, I guess the twist is when you find out that... uhm... actually, there is none.

Demons invade, cultists plot against the empire, you must go and close oblivion gates and then try and enter the plane of Oblivion which that cult leader has created for himself and kill that guy. Then you return and have to crown the emperor's illegitimate son, but at that moment the deadra lord attacks and you have to fight him together with the heir.

No twists, no turns, no interesting discoveries in between. Just a plain linear straightforward plot. Heck, that the emperor's son is illegitimate isn't even a problem for the leader of the Imperial Council, there was so much potential for political intrigue, but... nothing!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really liked how Kotor 2 had no plot twist at all. That was a fresh breath of air, and the game had a great (to me) story regardless. Plot-twists can be over-used.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Jasede said:
I really liked how Kotor 2 had no plot twist at all. That was a fresh breath of air, and the game had a great (to me) story regardless. Plot-twists can be over-used.

The problem is that Oblivion's story wasn't that interesting to begin with.

It was just "OMG demons invade the lands and the emperor is dead, you must find the heir to the throne and save us from the demons!" all the while through, from beginning to end. Maybe one or two interesting quests in the main questline, but the actual story wasn't interesting at all, really. Just the standard fantasy fare that LotR started and dozens of authors wrote in a more interesting way than Bethesda did with Oblivion.

Lumpy

Arcane
Jasede said:
Plot twists, as in "The evil guy is in another castle!", yeah. But plot turns are pretty much always necessary. In Oblivion, you know everything from the start.
Planescape had no plot twists, but the story had plenty to discover.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom