Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion question for MSFD

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
pseudo intellectual said:
My take on this is that MSFD left not because of people like me who openly criticize Bethesda but because of the steady influx of creepy TES fanboys into the Codex.

Hey I could be wrong, but he seemed to enjoy debating people here (and my hat's off to him for holding his own for so long), but nobody wants to engage in conversation with slavishly devoted fanboys, except megalomaniacs.

trust in the devs guys!

HardCode

Erudite
Look at it this way. On one hand, the Codex produces deep, intellectual arguments about the RPG-ness of Oblivion. On the other hand, MSFD naturally believes in the product he is helping to create, and he is bound by information blackout from Pete "360" Hines. So, he can only produce an incomplete argument for his point of view. So, I am sure it was frustrating to him, and didn't make much sense to keep responding when he can't present his full side of the story. This is likely to be what happened.

Or, maybe because some asshole dissed the other Meister employee in that video, and she was a relation to him perhaps?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Antiphon said:
This is interesting information in regards to a conversation I’m having at ESF with VDweller. He tends to bring up the “can’t find Caius” argument for pre-release anxiety quite a bit. Odd that all that angst may be based on bogus information.
I replied:

"Fact: Bethesda clearly stated in an interview that a number of people had problems finding Caius, and the magic compass will fix that problem. Bethesda has also stated that Oblivion will have much more hand holding to help people not to feel lost.

So, you see, it's irrelevant whether or not there was an actual survey about Caius, and what percentage of people actually had problems with finding him. What's important is that Bethesda has taken some steps to help those people, and the game will reflect that."

It appears MSFD and the others will not be coming back. From my perspective, this has to be one of the saddest developments for RPG Codex, but I’ve read enough to believe that many of the egos here will never admit it.
Care to be more specific? Anyway, Oblivion was always criticized here. There were some personal attacks by some morons, and MSFD had no problems dealing with those. Then suddenly one day he disappeared (kathode too), and the ESF mods started the crackdown on the Codex links. I see only one explanation to that phenomenon. As for MSFD still visiting DAC or NMA, well those sites never cared much about Oblivion, and thus were never a threat to the Oblivion image Bethesda tried to maintain.

Antiphon

Scholar
Hummm…I suppose I could have worded that better:

Odd that the decision to make changes that created angst may have been based on bogus information.

Anyway, I’d like to believe problems can be solved without making things worse. If not, there’s no hope for humanity, let alone games.

When I said it appears MSFD won’t be coming back, I assumed the word “appears” would signal that this is a feeling I’m getting and not a known fact. Maybe I should have worded that differently.

However, I don’t think it can be denied that having Bethesda devs posting here was a great benefit for RPG Codex. I don’t think you can say MSFD had “no problem,” but only no visible problem. Surely there were days his mood was affected. Also, we can only imagine the kind of pressure a dev gets from corporate when there is a large sum of development money on the line. A person can handle only so much stress.

Was there something else I needed to be more specific about?

OverrideB1

Scholar
Given the draconian crackdown on any links to the Codex currently being enforced by the ESF, I can only make the assumption that word has come down from "the suits" that Bethesda doesn't have that the Codex is off-limits.

Again, my assumption is that this is partly due to the Oblivion-bashing that goes on and partly because the laisser-faire attitude here (goatse and the like) doesn't suit the wholesome mass-murdering, theiving, back-stabbing, tomb-robbing, family attitude that Bethesda are trying to promote for Oblivion. That, plus the fact we ask the hard questions.

MSFD or Kathode could hardly post over here if there is a groundswell of anti-Codex opinion at the ESF - especially if those non-existant suits have stepped in.

Levski 1912

Scholar
Master Thief said:
Oh you mean how you wished death by meteor to him and his Co-workers.

I highly doubt MSFD stopped posting because of that. I think it's more an issue of information dissemination- specifically, elements of the game that Bethesda wants kept under wraps.

Master Thief

Scholar
Its probably a combination of things.

We already know enough about the game as far as Im concerned.
They just need to release the damn thing so we can judge for ourselves.

Im sick of this masturbating over scraps of information bullshit.

Master Thief said:
pseudo intellectual said:
My take on this is that MSFD left not because of people like me who openly criticize Bethesda
Oh you mean how you wished death by meteor to him and his Co-workers.
but because of the steady influx of creepy TES fanboys into the Codex.
I havent seen any fanboys in here.

Newbie douchebag:

You run a TES fan site for the "for the discussion of all things stealth in Elder ScrollsIV: Oblivion", this qualifies you as a TES fanboy. In fact the only reason you're probably here is to flog your POS forum.

Any fool can see that the Codex is awash in morons from the TES forums, which is evidenced by the dearth of Oblivion threads. Reading the Codex these days is akin to the movie, "Groundhog Day", where like Bill Murray, people are doomed to re-experience the same procession of events daily; the moronic bleating of TES fans as they posit the same questions over and over: "OOHH WHYYY DOES OUR GAME SUCK??!?"

Like the unchanging face of God the answer to this question will never differ, yet still you come.

This site has become the Ellis Island of the TES dipshit and the tone and intellectual quality of the Codex has dropped precipitously as a result.

As for MSFD his departure proves my point; he was only here to astroturf.

HardCode

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Then suddenly one day he disappeared (kathode too), and the ESF mods started the crackdown on the Codex links.

Well, that's the way the Democratic Party works, "Freedom of speech for all!!111one11! ... unless you are speaking out against us, then we have to silently and sneakily sensor you." I think it should be against the constitution for elected officials and people in their employ to run a <s>computer</s> console game company.

Master Thief

Scholar
Dear Codex Dick Sucker,

When you wished death by meteor to Bethesda you were obviously trying to simultaneously
suck every veteran Codexer's dick with a joke that was in bad taste.

Oh and calling me a "newbie" is the height of intellectual tone.

As for my piece of shit site, I've only banned one person.
That person told a developer to "Eat Shit and Die".

I encourage and support criticism and making jokes about Bethesda.

But wishing death to somebody in a joke is in very poor taste and if you ever did it in my forum...I would IP ban you so fast your ISP and your Mamma would feel it.

Dicksucker, thanks for making MSFD leave.

Now get back to sucking our dicks.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
MSFD is gone because his job is done. His job assignment was to come here and try to get more units sold.

Anyone who thinks he left because he got his feelings hurt, or because the suits, or Bethesda stopped him from posting here doesn't get it.

He never really gave crap about the game. At least not more then what is required to keep him employed. If that means arguing for the game to a bunch of nerds, then so be it.

callehe

Liturgist
Master Thief said:
Dear Codex Dick Sucker,

When you wished death by meteor to Bethesda you were obviously trying to simultaneously

But wishing death to somebody in a joke is in very poor taste and if you ever did it in my forum...I would IP ban you so fast your ISP and your Mamma would feel it.

eat shit and die. and please get hit by a meteor.

now you might wonder why i said that. well that's just because i CAN without getting banned. and that's why the codex is special - freedom of speech.

So what if a developer gets insulted? shouldn't you expect that when you have freedom of speech? why should the devs get special treatment? they should get tubgirled like everyone else here.

Seven

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
vazquez595654 said:
MSFD is gone because his job is done. His job assignment was to come here and try to get more units sold.

I higly doubt that. I'm pretty sure it was related to Fo3, if he wasn't here on his own vocation.

I'm pretty sure that he was on his own free will and that believed in the product he was developing. In his mind he probably figured that once we gave it a chance we'd all be sold--if I was a developer I'd probably believe the same thing about the product I was developing (otherwise I wouldn't be developing it). I can't say that I miss him too much, but I do have a degree of respect for him putting up with some of the more moronic members as of late.

Master Thief

Scholar
callehe said:
Master Thief said:
Dear Codex Dick Sucker,

eat shit and die. and please get hit by a meteor.

now you might wonder why i said that. well that's just because i CAN without getting banned. and that's why the codex is special - freedom of speech.

So what if a developer gets insulted? shouldn't you expect that when you have freedom of speech? why should the devs get special treatment? they should get tubgirled like everyone else here.

I disagree. I think we should treat them with a small amount of respect. Even if that small amount of respect impunes upon your ability to make death threats in jest or not. They are taking their time away from working on a game that they are making for money to answer your questions. Why the fuck should they even come in here and take your shit?

They don't need the abuse. They can just leave.

Psilon

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=230263&st=20

Wow. So the official explanation for the blacklisting is the "inappropriate content, such as swearing?"

Drakron

Arcane
The problem with "developer" tag on a message board dedicated to games is they think they are simply above the other users.

Sorry but they registered to be able to post, their messages only have the extra weight of being from someone evolved on the game development and that became rather pointless the moment the game gets released.

Most of their posts end up being about opinions, when they say "the gameplay is rather cool" it says nothing besides someone opinion on gameplay that comes from a rather suspecting source ... you are not going to find developers making critics of their product before release (or many after it, unless its when they are making a sequel or add-on to it).

The Bethsoft developers that come here were part of Bethsoft damage control party over Fallout 3 anoucement since almost nobody think they could make a Fallout game, pre-Oblivion I was likely one of the few that would give then the benefict of doubt but with Oblivion ...

We dont gain anything from having developers posting, they dont give any information over the game unless its cleared by the PR department.

Some developers tend to think they are above because they have the tag and so are worth more that the rest, it becames a problem because the administratiors think they are a benefic to the site (they are not, only a extension of their compay PR department) and rather risk lossing 10 members that the developer.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Drakron said:
The problem with "developer" tag on a message board dedicated to games is they think they are simply above the other users.
Proof please.

Sorry but they registered to be able to post, their messages only have the extra weight of being from someone evolved on the game development...
Who claims otherwise?

Most of their posts end up being about opinions...
And yours aren't?

...you are not going to find developers making critics of their product before release
Should they?

The Bethsoft developers that come here were part of Bethsoft damage control party over Fallout 3 anoucement...
I doubt it

We dont gain anything from having developers posting, they dont give any information over the game unless its cleared by the PR department.
What do we gain from you posting here, for example? Why should we look at developers posting from the "what do we gain" position?

Some developers tend to think they are above because they have the tag ...
More bullshit

... it becames a problem because the administratiors think they are a benefic to the site and rather risk lossing 10 members that the developer.
Depends on the members, doesn't it?

Drakron

Arcane
I guess he would ... or any of us for that matter.

I have no problem with stating that because years ago in Wizards forum I continued to support a opinion on novels and one of the novels writters decided to post the "I am not going to post anymore" messages that lead the lead moderator to E-mail her and several people asking me to appologize.

Its basic human psyche, if you know you can get away with something you likly to do so ... we have abusive moderators because thet can then developers knowing they are favored (or anyone for that matter) by the site administrator can do the same.

Maybe VD is a alien not bound by human psyche if he cannot understand this ... if I was given moderator powers and left un-checked I likely end up doing worst that Rex did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom