Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion preview & shitstorm at Wired Blog

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

One of the <a href=http://blog.wired.com>Wired Blog</a> guys has played <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/>Oblivion</a> and unwisely mentioned that there are <a href=http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1422030>things that sucked</a>, thus drawing the wrath of the <a href=http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/>internet retards</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>You don't see the problems for the first hour, because you're exploring a massive underground pathway that takes you through dank sewers and pitch-black caverns. You can't see more than a few feet in front of your face, sometimes, so everything looks decent -- not incredibly impressive, but fair enough.
<br>
<br>
When I got outside, things got hairy. I could see across to the other side of a lake, but it was completely undetailed. Just big, formless blobs of blues and greens. I turned around and looked at my more immediate surroundings and realized that the draw distance was awful. As you walk around, the ground teems with individually rendered blades of grass, bushes, mushrooms, all sorts of stuff. But only a small radius around your character is fully realized -- the rest of it is drawn in, quite visibly, as you move around.
<br>
<br>
This is the HD Era? Watching bushes and trees pop up out of thin air as I walk around? At one point I was heading towards what I thought was an empty forest clearing, when big-ass chunks of building started magically appearing. Come on. (Or maybe I was doing so well in the game that its denizens had started building shrines to my glory.)
<br>
<br>
Things get even worse when I jump on a horse. Now, I'm actually trotting at a steady clip, and Oblivion starts not just to have draw-in issues but framerate problems as well. It's chugging. It can't keep up with my speed, and quite frankly the horse isn't even going that fast. At some points, I keep seeing the "Loading Area..." message pop up every couple of seconds, which brings with it another framerate stutter. It's herky-jerky-all-over-the-place as I climb up the hill to the gate of Oblivion. My reation to the graphics has, over this sequence, gone from "unimpressed" to "nonplussed" to "annoyed." </blockquote>Don't forget to take a look at 6-pages of comments at the site:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The writer of this article is an idiot.
<br>
<br>
I also played Oblivion and from what I can tell it was the best RPG of all times. It even surpassed the other Elder Scrolls games by far. The only people that would not like this game are people that do not like any type of RPGs or dumb ass people that can't handle the immense content and freedom of the game.
<br>
<br>
You also dissed it because trees and buildings were popping out of nowhere, that is probably because you are not playing the completely finish game that will be release to consumers later. (How stupid are these people? - VD)
<br>
<br>
That off base mutha, f**ker is truly an idiot.
<br>
<br>
You haven't played it okay.
<br>
<br>
Maybe you would see something else besides "Just big, formless blobs of blues and greens" if you got of the crack.
<br>
<br>
youve never played the game your a turd i hop the rat eats you're brains LOL SH1155!!
<br>
<br>
THE GAME IS NOT FINISHED!</blockquote>
<br>
Why am I posting those comments, you ask? Well, I think the fanbase can tell you as much about a game as any preview, no?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>dongle</b>
<br>

<br>
<br>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
You haven't played it okay.
Oh. Does it come with an instructional booklet so we can all play it okay?

Edit: I haven't played Morrowind since... well, since a very long time, but didn't Morrowind also have that occasional "loading" message box popping up every now and then?

LaDoushe

Scholar
I am assuming he's playing on Xbox360, which brings up a very scary (albeit unlikely) question: What if he's not actually playing the finished game?
Does this mean console games will now be released in late beta as computer games are with the intent to fix problems via downloadable patch? If this is the case, which it probably isn't, it would ruin the one positive aspect of console gaming.

As far as the other comments go, it seems a little bit like codex's drug-addled little brother. Different people, same indignation.

Levski 1912

Scholar
There's 2 possibilities-

1.The game is finished, and the writer was playing the final version, therefore the game will have all the faults mentioned.
2.The game is not finished yet, and the writer was playing a beta, therefore the game will be delayed for another 6 months.

Either way, sucks for the fans.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Here is an amusing comment from MSFD:

Yeah, he gave a 200+ hour game about 2.5 hours and wrote it off. You be the judge.
As you can see, being constantly exposed to that cesspool of stupidity has affected his reading comprehension skill.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Levski 1912 said:
2.The game is not finished yet, and the writer was playing a beta, therefore the game will be delayed for another 6 months.

Greg Wak posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Kathode, any last minute tweaking left?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kathode posted:
Nope! Everything is locked down and has been for a while. I can't say exactly where we are in finalizing things, but I will say that I'm now giving my next project a minimum of 50% of my time each day. Excited to lose the chains, so to speak, and get the next thing going, but very proud at the same time of the three or so years that I've put into Oblivion and the work we've done.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Hah, that sounds like something one might hear from a chap like Volourn.

Edit: The MSFD comment, that is.

Human Shield

Augur
17985675_f69cf32a52_m.jpg

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!

Deacdo

Liturgist
95% of those "impressions" were about the graphics. What else is there to the game?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Locue said:
Edit: I haven't played Morrowind since... well, since a very long time, but didn't Morrowind also have that occasional "loading" message box popping up every now and then?
Iirc it did, but only when entering/exiting buildings - not when walking outdoors.

Micmu

Magister
Yeah, but isn't that the irony?
"People, HL2 and Halo fans come for the graphics and stay for the gameplay" (by Hines).

callehe

Liturgist
random commentator wrote:
You say you are a newbie to the game, I would also say that you are a newbie to journalism; I have seen better papers presented from my students. I suggest you step back and learn how to write a proper and well constructed report before you sit down and even think about writing one next time.

wtf? this one is a teacher? i hope he's working in a kindergarten.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Morrowind would pause for like a second or two when loading a new cell and then display the new area's name, but it doesnt sound as bas as it does in Oblivion.

The cells in Oblivion sound smaller and you're moving faster in the game, anyways. Not to mention all the fancy graphics and shit.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Elwro said:
Locue said:
Iirc it did, but only when entering/exiting buildings - not when walking outdoors.
Hm. I seem to remember that a loading box once popped up while running between Balmora and Vivec. Was it just my imagination? Ah well...

Edit:
LlamaGod said:
Morrowind would pause for like a second or two when loading a new cell and then display the new area's name, but it doesnt sound as bas as it does in Oblivion.
Ah, yes that's it.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
callehe said:
You say you are a newbie to the game, I would also say that you are a newbie to journalism; I have seen better papers presented from my students. I suggest you step back and learn how to write a proper and well constructed report before you sit down and even think about writing one next time.

You want him exposed to our children? I hope he's teaching women's studies or something.

Drain

Scholar
It will be nice to see a shitstorm that will be unleashed when Oblivion is finally released. Even if the game is not bad in itself, too high expectations will guarantee it.
Days until shitstorm: 26

LlamaGod

Cipher
I hope it gets "Most Overrated Game" again by Gamespy, albit after its been out a few years of course.

bryce777

Erudite
callehe said:

A teacher who is an imbecile? I am shocked! Heh.

bryce777

Erudite
LaDoushe said:
I am assuming he's playing on Xbox360, which brings up a very scary (albeit unlikely) question: What if he's not actually playing the finished game?
Does this mean console games will now be released in late beta as computer games are with the intent to fix problems via downloadable patch? If this is the case, which it probably isn't, it would ruin the one positive aspect of console gaming.

As far as the other comments go, it seems a little bit like codex's drug-addled little brother. Different people, same indignation.

There is a huge difference when indignation is based in reality or obvious fantasy/wishful thinking.

bryce777

Erudite
LlamaGod said:

The cells in Oblivion sound smaller and you're moving faster in the game, anyways. Not to mention all the fancy graphics and shit.

They are using the same engine, but have 5x the textures. So, I am assuming they will have 25 times the load issues or thereabouts.

I am not at all surprised.

Drakron

Arcane
LaDoushe said:

Even console games have beta stages but in case you are wondering ...

Morrowind XBox version was the same as the PC version down to bugs and it was not patched.

The Xbox HD and cross plataform development did open the door to "release it first, patch it later" but releases appeared to be solid, as far I am aware only Morrowind and KotOR(s) had significant issues.

Xbox 360 lack of HD as a standart makes it hard to patch, unfortunatly buggy games get pass the reviews with the hype, gaming reviewers are getting worst every year.

dongle

Scholar
Re: Oblivion preview & shitstorm at Wired Blog

youve never played the game your a turd i hop the rat eats you're brains LOL SH1155!!
Gads, I’m embarrassed now to have ever been a member of that “community”.

For the record Pete told this crop of previewers there were playing a game that is 99% final. He claimed this version contained all the content, features, and optimization the gold release will. They are only spending the last few days squashing some bugs. Also, Chris played OB on the 360, so no excuses about low-end PCs.

The level of detail stuff should be readily fixable on the PC. From what Chris describes it sounds like SpeedTree is subbing in the medium-distance detail stuff too soon, or it has too little details. There should be some SpeedTree config text files that control how far away from you the medium-detail stuff pops in. Even if the best PC settings are stuck at Xbox levels it’ll be easy to edit in your own settings. (Not that I believe I, or any modder, should spend time fixing Bethesda mistakes) Of course; fix the level of detail and the framerate plummets, and load times increase. . . .

Crazy_Vasey

Novice
A Bethesda game with massive performance problems. Well, there's a huge surprise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom