Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion OOO

bloodlover

Arcane
So... at a friend's request I will give Oblivion another shot. However this time using some mod called Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.

So I started playing a bit (with the usual thief char) but almost everything in the game is inaccessible at low levels. I mean... wtf ? :retarded:

That is why, any tips and trics for a new char are appreciated.

Thx I love you :love:

bloodlover

Arcane
Nop. I am a good boy :)

I don't remember ever being banned from any forum actually.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
racofer said:
Download the dark elf cock ring model for a richer experience.
"Equip the ring, they said. It'll improve the game, they said."

bloodlover said:
Nop. I am a good boy :)

I don't remember ever being banned from any forum actually.
There's a first time for everything.

catfood

AGAIN
Really, it's just pointless. You will end up spending more time searching, downloading, running, and trying to set mods up in such a way that they don't conflict with each other than you would just playing the damned game. I have a simple rule which states that if a game needs more than 2-3 mods to make it enjoyable it's probably not worth the effort. And Oblivion is a shit game regardless what mods you install, even the famed OOO.

However you might have more fun fiddling with mods. I know this was my case with Morrowind, but in the end just kept the unofficial patch and GCD mod and called it a day.

EDIT: maybe you could try out Nehrim and post your impressions.

bloodlover

Arcane
I don;t like Nehrim. It aimed for something very good but imo it failed miserably.

Also I did not install any other mods in this game except OOO and it works just fine. I am just having trouble with how to approach the game as a lowbie.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There are a ton of better RPG out there to play, than spending even a second playing that piece of shit game.

At least install "Deadly Reflex" for better combat (more moves like shield bash and dodge, decapitation, critical spell effects like freezing the enemie or burning him to a crisp) if you're gonna suffer this game again. I think it's as important as OOO if you are going to try enjoying Oblivion. I still couldn't go very far with those, but they certainly do make it less bad.

Luzur

Good Sir
okay, so Nehrim is bad but vanilla oblivion with just OOO is playable?

somehow, this somehow feels like an alt troll post to me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Luzur said:
okay, so Nehrim is bad but vanilla oblivion with just OOO is playable?

somehow, this somehow feels like an alt troll post to me.

Heh, maybe. What Nehrim does much much better than Oblivion is landscape and dungeon design, as well as having no level scaling at all.
But some people might dislike the small amount of quests and the relative linearity of the game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think there's instructions on how to make Oblivion gameplay and item mods work in Nehrim on the Nehrim forums. It requires some fiddling with the construction set but it's possible.

Loriac

Arcane
IME, oblivion was the hardest game to mod up to a state of playability; it was just too fucking generic to start with, so no matter what you did with mods it was always going to bore you death once you got down to playing it.

I recall trying an early version of OOO back in the mists of time, and from what I remember it wasn't sufficient to make the game interesting. Theres only so many retarded npcs/quests/items/you name it you can take before the sheer weight of it all drives you from the game, your sanity barely intact.

If you want to mod up an old game, morrowind is a much better choice (however, it will require a full graphical replacer plus about 70-odd other mods before it becomes the game it should have been).

Newer games, I'd say mod up FNV (most of the must-have fo3 mods are now ported to NV, at least in beta form) or FO3 if you absolutely can't afford to buy FNV.

Oblivion? Leave it festering in the cesspit of history where it belongs.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Seriously, bloodlover. Give us a list of RPG's you have played, and we will fill in the gaps with games you should be playing instead. Not shit ARPG's made by Bethesda.

dr. one

Augur
bloodlover said:
So I started playing a bit (with the usual thief char) but almost everything in the game is inaccessible at low levels. I mean... wtf ? :retarded:

That is why, any tips and trics for a new char are appreciated.

since you´re playing a thief, check out Thieves Arsenal. it should expand your gameplay options.

do yourself a favor and install Oblivion Xp. it replaces usage based levelling system with experience based one. it has profound influence on how you play the game, positively speaking. it should make playing a thief in OOO environment more bearable. oh, and you don´t get exp only for killing monsters, but for other activities like completing quests or discovering new locations as well.

both mods require OBSE though.

ok, no more mod recs.
(though my bare minimum to make the game enjoyable would include MMM, Deadly Reflex, Race Balancing Project, L.A.M.E., DarkUId DarN, Better Cities, Unique Landscapes and The Stranded Light - Integration)

anyway, since my playthrough was with FCOM + 150 other mods and i´ve played the usual fighter/mage/thief char, i doubt i can give any useful advice, but generally i think there are good chances attempting to play a "pure" thief with OOO would result in excercise in futility, try to play thief/mage at least.
most dungeons are better to be left till you´re at least 10 level.
the usual PITA are spectral warriors - they have weakness to shock damage so use that to your advantage.

that said, i agree with Loriac that Oblivion is a difficult game to mod to the state it becomes playable and imo OOO certainly isn´t enough.
if you insist to play it anyway, join Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, most of vanilla highlights are in these.

bloodlover

Arcane
Well Oblivion fucking sux I agree on that one but somehow I though that maybe, just maybe some decent mod(s) could save it.

So I guess it;s back to Morrowind... ?

I just feel the urge to play a sandbox RPG besides TES and Gothic series.

dr. one

Augur
bloodlover said:
Well Oblivion fucking sux I agree on that one but somehow I though that maybe, just maybe some decent mod(s) could save it.
well, they saved it for me, but i needed a lot of them :).

bloodlover said:

Fallout: New Vegas.
just install Slower Level Rates (x1.5 variant) if you´re a completionist and you´re good to go!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
bloodlover said:

Honey, if you think those are the only 2 sandbox RPG's out there, you have a serious problem. Let us, the codex help you find enlightenment.

Fuck, for a place with a consensus of hatred against Oblivion, there are a lot of people that know a hell of a lot about the game.

Oaken

Novice
Excommunicator said:
Fuck, for a place with a consensus of hatred against Oblivion, there are a lot of people that know a hell of a lot about the game.

If we didn't know about it, how could we hate it?

bloodlover

Arcane
Jaesun said:
bloodlover said:

Honey, if you think those are the only 2 sandbox RPG's out there, you have a serious problem. Let us, the codex help you find enlightenment.

So amaze me :D

torpid

Liturgist
I too went through a phase where I tried to salvage the game with dozens of mods, but it's a hopeless task. You'll soon realize that nothing can get rid of the mind-numbing blandness. You'll load up all the mods you scrutinized and downloaded, only to find yourself hesitant to actually start the game. Trembling, thinking to yourself, "no, I still need a mod for that," you'll run back to the modding site to lose yourself in the thousands of mods and pretend you can really save the game. But you can't -- the sooner you accept that, the better off you'll be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom