Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Oblivion official devairy at the official site

LlamaGod

Cipher
GhanBuriGhan said:
metallix said:
hate it hate it hate it
i hate their view on pure mages.

A pure mage Must be able to cursh his enemies without *ANY ITEMS* at all. Enchantment was a huge scourge of Morrowind, it ruined the magic system completely and made those rocket launchers instead of real and challenging magic.

You could. It was very challenging, but you definitely could. I don't think it's necessarily bad when one character class is harder to play than others. It adds to replay value. So, just play a mage who things staffs and enchanted items are beneath him. Since you are at the Codex you are probably an experienced enough roleplayer to pull it off.
It shouldn't be any worse than playing tourist in Nethack :)

of course, with every badly designed game, you should just pretend to make it the structured system it should've been

Balor

Arcane
@ LlamaGod
A small offtopical questoin:
Does your "Location: Yes" has any relation to "Nationality: Yes"? :)

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
of course, with every badly designed game, you should just pretend to make it the structured system it should've been

The fact that most people are too dumb to work out a viable strategy for the relatively complex magic system does not make it a badly designed one. The fact that the first person view led many people to aproach magic guns blazing, does not mean that that was a good strategy. If I play a pure mage, II solve most conflicts with not easily destructed enemies with, calm, paralyze, invisibility, levitation, and recall. I find it intersting that even at the Codex people seem to think every monster has to be killable by destruction magic. Tsk, tsk, how unimaginative.

Balor

Arcane
Well, a combination of Levitation and Demoralise effects in one spell shoudl work fine :).
Hint - target begins to flee upward, untill the duration of the spell runs out. Ouch!
And no harm done if this spell will be reflected.
However, it's really expencive.

Shinan

Educated
Rocket Launcher. Awesome, I might get this game after all. Now all it needs is chainsaws too and this will be a game to love for a long time.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Chainsaws, boomsticks and Bruce Campbell. If Bethesda'll put that stuff in (the game) Oblivion together with Patrick Stewart and Wonder Woman-lady (Lynda Carter?) then Oblivion = instant success.

truekaiser

Scholar
geminito said:
Ever heard of D&D? Wand of Fireballs? Wand of Magic Missiles? Staff of Fireballs? Staff of Magic Missiles?

Staves that shoot destructive magic spells are hardly a new idea. And I wouldn't say D&D is like a first person shooter because it has them.

the differnce is that the d&d ones could not be recharged and their magic system did not recharge unless you rested.
why don't they name it hexen 4 and be done with it.
that way they can be in a genre that it belongs in 'fps minimal rpg eliments' instead of just 'rpg'

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
truekaiser said:
geminito said:
Ever heard of D&D? Wand of Fireballs? Wand of Magic Missiles? Staff of Fireballs? Staff of Magic Missiles?

Staves that shoot destructive magic spells are hardly a new idea. And I wouldn't say D&D is like a first person shooter because it has them.

the differnce is that the d&d ones could not be recharged and their magic system did not recharge unless you rested.
that way they can be in a genre that it belongs in 'fps minimal rpg eliments' instead of just 'rpg'

Sure, no discernable difference between TES and Hexen... Do you take yourself seriously?

Lumpy

Arcane
truekaiser said:
geminito said:

Teh difrence11!!111!!1!!

Micmu

Magister
D&D's wands are also as an item and they don't use the weapon slot. Staves (weapon) usually grant you more than a fireball.
Oblivion's staves are a weapon (using the weapon slot) and you can't whack a rat with it when you run out of "ammo". Well, at least there are quick keys to switch weapons.
IMO, mage staves with permament enchantments, like additional damage to fire spells, faster mana regeneration, etc... would be a lot more useful. Or staves that would grant you additional spells. And they should have kept the on-use enchantments, only fix (restrict) them.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Hey, good on BethSoft for trying to make the combat more interesting but if the gameworld and the characters within are just as sterile and soulless as the ones in Morrowind, I'm not interested.

bryce777

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
truekaiser said:
geminito said:

Sure, no discernable difference between TES and Hexen... Do you take yourself seriously?

The difference is hexen probably has a lot better gameplay.

bryce777

Erudite
Instead of Obvious Crap, Oblivions hould probably be renamed Forest Poncer(tm), because I ahve the feeling that's what the gameplay will involve, aside from occasionally watching a monster die, your horse run away, or moving someone's food so he will sell you his gem.

4too

Arcane
""If I Had A Rocket Launcher ...""

Dreagon:
Ooohhh!! Staffs like rocket launcher!. No, they haven't dumbed this title down for a particular audience. No indeedy!

Once upon a time there was a game publisher that won our 'hearts and minds' with the phrase: ""cool particle effects"". Perhaps this dev is waxing post modern poetic with missile metaphors.

No doubt the imagery will stir the attention span of all projectile platform enthusiasts: FPS to squad based strategy to RTS, to Redneck Rampage.

This mixing of metaphors will cheapen the retooling when Beth choses to transgenderize Oblivion into direct, and, or, indirect entertainment sequels.

AC or DC one can only guess.

Oblivion appears to have a -rocket laucher- whether it has the -balls- or the -legs- to go the distance is an important performance issue.

But aggressive postures are passe in this marketing age so bet on it being spayed, with lots of ""cool particle effects"".

All the magic mavens will swing gleefully up the RPG, the ROCKET PROPELLED GRENADE, tech tree of open sights, wire guided, and laser range finding. i am sure there could be some ""scissors cuts paper"" one-ups-man-ship by crossing over the fantasy realm metallurgy, my mythical mitheral pierces your .... but the EMF of your bad breath reduces the ethical accuracy of the missive, "strength thru joy' conquers ALL(-es).

Golems? Gollums? Is that the beloved 'kliene panzer' of Middle european legend or an infiltration hobbit with amphibian modifications?

So ya, we may all be being 'groomed' for the next exploitation epic. Soon to be the KILLER APPLICATION of the 21st Century, the MMM-----MOLRPG. So be sure to subscribe early and often, or suffer the curse of withered appendage envy...

Some industrial techniques may still hold true in this one, true ""American Century"":
assembly lines and standardization of parts, payola, bait and switch, and game killing bugs ...

Standardization, one size fits all.

Perhaps with a bit of text editing Oblivion could aspire to be the next "Medal Of Honor",
or FO3.

4too

Data4

Arcane
Re: ""If I Had A Rocket Launcher ...""

4too said:

Dreagon:
Ooohhh!! Staffs like rocket launcher!. No, they haven't dumbed this title down for a particular audience. No indeedy!

Once upon a time there was a game publisher that won our 'hearts and minds' with the phrase: ""cool particle effects"". Perhaps this dev is waxing post modern poetic with missile metaphors.

No doubt the imagery will stir the attention span of all projectile platform enthusiasts: FPS to squad based strategy to RTS, to Redneck Rampage.

This mixing of metaphors will cheapen the retooling when Beth choses to transgenderize Oblivion into direct, and, or, indirect entertainment sequels.

AC or DC one can only guess.

Oblivion appears to have a -rocket laucher- whether it has the -balls- or the -legs- to go the distance is an important performance issue.

But aggressive postures are passe in this marketing age so bet on it being spayed, with lots of ""cool particle effects"".

All the magic mavens will swing gleefully up the RPG, the ROCKET PROPELLED GRENADE, tech tree of open sights, wire guided, and laser range finding. i am sure there could be some ""scissors cuts paper"" one-ups-man-ship by crossing over the fantasy realm metallurgy, my mythical mitheral pierces your .... but the EMF of your bad breath reduces the ethical accuracy of the missive, "strength thru joy' conquers ALL(-es).

Golems? Gollums? Is that the beloved 'kliene panzer' of Middle european legend or an infiltration hobbit with amphibian modifications?

So ya, we may all be being 'groomed' for the next exploitation epic. Soon to be the KILLER APPLICATION of the 21st Century, the MMM-----MOLRPG. So be sure to subscribe early and often, or suffer the curse of withered appendage envy...

Some industrial techniques may still hold true in this one, true ""American Century"":
assembly lines and standardization of parts, payola, bait and switch, and game killing bugs ...

Standardization, one size fits all.

Perhaps with a bit of text editing Oblivion could aspire to be the next "Medal Of Honor",
or FO3.

4too

This image is so cliche it's not even funny anymore, but this post earned it.

misc15.jpg

-D4

LlamaGod

Cipher
im glad 4toos made his return to websites that matter (read: not NMA) because he is awesome

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom