Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion gets better with time OR Gamespies are dumbshits

Monolith

Prophet
I surely won't pay anything for this pile of crap. Sure, there are nice mods which improve the game - but I won't support a developer which counts on that. If the money was given to the modders, well, I'd reconsider.

OverrideB1

Scholar
franc kaos said:
You are right about Todd Howard and his 'vision' of what TES is really about, (and I've put my playing on hold for a few months, primarily playing with the CS) - and putting aside the economic realities of producing a smash hit game by pandering to the lowest common denominator and modders 'fixing' the game; I do have to take you to task about the piss poor dialogue options. As long as you fix the length allowed in the CS.ini, the PC is allowed a 50 character response and the NPC is allowed a 255 character response, immediately followed by as many 255 CR's as necessary. it offers branching dialogue thru choices and can further a quest on thru chat or action.
But, once again, modders are being required to fix something that should never have been fucking broken in the first place. Never mind screwing about with the ini-files, piss-poor dialogue is what the game provides out of the box and that is an unfogivable sin for any game that lays claim to being part of the RPG-genre. And that's before we get to shit like NPCs using different voice-files for differnt parts of their dialogue. It shows nothing but laziness on the part of the developers and insanity on the part of the QA team.

franc kaos said:
There is still the problem of text vanishing too quickly without voice or silent MP3s to hold them, but I'm confident this will be resolved before too long - heck, the community has already created 3D importers without Bs help.
And the community -- or at least that part of it which mods -- come galloping to Bethesda's rescue for the umpty-umpth time: fixing fuckups that should never have got past the developers, never mind the QA people.

franc kaos said:
I'm not saying buy it, hell, if you live in the UK (I live in West Yorkshire) I'll loan you my disc for you to install it (would want it back tho'), there's plenty of nodvd patches for it. In six months, once the kiddies have gone googoo over something else I firmly believe this game will return to its roots - even without B's help.
I refuse to support a lazy-ass company that relies on 3rd parties to unscrew their screw-ups, that thinks RPG==Combat, and that continues to employ an asshat like Howard. I thank you for the offer, but I was being serious when I said I wouldn't pollute my PC with a piece of crap like Oblivion.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
OK, I upgraded my PC to an AMD 3500 (socket AM2) and decided to try Oblivion. I was ready for the leveling system, poor dialogue and a few idiocies. And you know what? I'm having a blast so far. Just saved Kvatch, while being on 3rd experience level. That's pure madness, but doesn't strike me so much because I was expecting it.
Thanks to the Codex I can now enjoy the game!

(I'm using this interface mod.)

But the Plane of Oblivion seems to be a bit of a lost opportunity, I'm afraid...

ad hominem

Scholar
Yeah, once you get to about your 4th or 5th randomly-generated gate, you start with the speed runs. It's a shame you don't have levitation or you could just float to the top of the damn towers and get it over with.

talk2farley

Scholar
Re: Oblivion gets better with time OR Gamespies are dumbshit

kingcomrade said:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/720411p1.html
Very first line said:
No one can fault Bethesda Softworks for a lack of ambition.
R00fles.

Corporate whores.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
I wonder if I'm the only person here who has not ever been tempted to buy Oblivion.
My computer would probably have a hard time handling Morrowind, so no.

Direwolf

Arcane
I am embarassed to admit it but I bought the game. Enjoyed it quite a lot at the start, but it got really stupid really fast. That game sort of introduced me to Codex, since it was the only website that saw the game for what it actually was. I think the only other sites that gave it bad reviews were ag.ru and somethingawful.com.

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
Savlian Matius: "My god, look at the destruction. I hope we're not too late to save what's left of Kvatch."
Me: "Oh you're allright mate, you've got that fucking crown icon on ya, immortal little shit. I'm a level 18 merchant and alchemist, I'm gonna have my head chewed off inthere!"
Savlian Matius: "..."
Me: "STOP SMILING YOU FUCKING COCKSUCKER!"

Honestly, how can you take a game seriously, when your allies are immortal?

elander_

Arbiter
The same way you can take Doom3 seriously. Just follow the arrows and kill the stuff. I have heard that Halo and Doom3 players love Oblivion.

Direwolf

Arcane
What Doom 3 players? I am pretty sure everybody got over it about 5 days after it came out.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Interestingly, I was compelled further into Doom 3 than Oblivion, though I've finished neither.

Direwolf

Arcane
I did finish Doom 3. With god mode, I think. Too bad that even with god mode Oblivion main quest is just too damn stupid to even bother trying...

Direwolf

Arcane
You can become a leader of every single guild in the game. That's one the "features" of the game!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I did finish Doom 3. With god mode, I think.
I got barely past the Alpha Labs before I quit. When a coop mod came out I did beat the whole game with my dad, though, just to see the Cyberdemon (which, contrary to every other model in the game, was fairly cool). Wtf happened to the Spider Mastermind? I definitely remember seeing artwork for it but it's nowhere in the game. The Spider Mastermind was the coolest thing ever.

whatusername

Scholar
Re: Oblivion gets better with time OR Gamespies are dumbshit

kingcomrade said:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion/720411p1.html
Very first line said:
No one can fault Bethesda Softworks for a lack of ambition.
R00fles.
r00fles indeed.

RuySan

Augur
i loved Doom 3. It was a perfectly paced game, really like that every level you pass you get closer to hell. There are also some really memorable moments. Much better than Half-life 2 imo. Of couse not half as good as FEAR a and Far Cry

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Doom 3 was dreck. It was a vehicle for its graphics engine, not the other way around. The enemies were all uninspired and boring (the zombies were the only things that managed to scare me (once), and that's because they're quiet), the pacing was most certainly not perfect, it was way too repetitious. The story isn't anything more interesting than that to the original Doom or Half Life (portal opens, shit comes through, you go through portal, kill shit king, gg). The weapons were utterly terrible, and an FPS can't survive without its weapons. Even the physics in that game sucked. You throw a grenade and it bounces around like those balls you get out of quarter machines on crack.

The first fifteen to thirty minutes of the game are really great, because you haven't found out what a lame game it is. The atmosphere builds well, the initial demonic invasion is orchestrated well, but after the 20th monster jumping out of a closet, and the 50th pitch black room, you realize there's nothing more to it.

I mean, how can you consider a game with crappy weapons, crappy enemies, a crappy avatar (zomg walking slow is scary!), a crappy, ugly environment, crappy level design, etc. to be good?

Hazelnut

Erudite
Elwro said:
OK, I upgraded my PC to an AMD 3500 (socket AM2) and decided to try Oblivion. I was ready for the leveling system, poor dialogue and a few idiocies. And you know what? I'm having a blast so far. Just saved Kvatch, while being on 3rd experience level. That's pure madness, but doesn't strike me so much because I was expecting it.
Thanks to the Codex I can now enjoy the game!

(I'm using this interface mod.)

But the Plane of Oblivion seems to be a bit of a lost opportunity, I'm afraid...

Nowt wrong with that. Many here, including me, have said that there is some fun to be had - but take it quick, as it will not last. The game could have been a fucking awesome mix of the successful aspects of df & mw, but instead they leaned hevily towards a medieval Halo with the rock steady idiocy of Todds navigation. You'll get bored of it is roughly the same time you got bored of Halo I would predict.

RuySan

Augur
kingcomrade said:
Doom 3 was dreck. It was a vehicle for its graphics engine, not the other way around. The enemies were all uninspired and boring (the zombies were the only things that managed to scare me (once), and that's because they're quiet), the pacing was most certainly not perfect, it was way too repetitious. The story isn't anything more interesting than that to the original Doom or Half Life (portal opens, shit comes through, you go through portal, kill shit king, gg). The weapons were utterly terrible, and an FPS can't survive without its weapons. Even the physics in that game sucked. You throw a grenade and it bounces around like those balls you get out of quarter machines on crack.

The first fifteen to thirty minutes of the game are really great, because you haven't found out what a lame game it is. The atmosphere builds well, the initial demonic invasion is orchestrated well, but after the 20th monster jumping out of a closet, and the 50th pitch black room, you realize there's nothing more to it.

I mean, how can you consider a game with crappy weapons, crappy enemies, a crappy avatar (zomg walking slow is scary!), a crappy, ugly environment, crappy level design, etc. to be good?

because i don't agree that the weapons, enemies, environment and level design are crappy. I like simple gameplay in FPS (serious sam and painkiller are among my favorites), so i really didn't mind. I think that the repetitive environments really work here, since it's a bit claustrophobic and you're yearning to get some air. The same worked with classics like ultima underworld which are among my favorites. And the combat altough isn't as good as fear, is miles better than half-life 2 (so are the weapons) with its dummy enemies that seem hollow.

Solaris

Scholar
Gameplay is everything to me and Oblivion just doesn't cut it.....cept for a few choice mods like OOO etc.

Beth really are lazy bastards these days...most of the game is held together and boasted upon through its middleware. I'm sure there might be have been a few decent devs at Beth once but the men in suits no doubt took them to one side and taught them that money is king. Let's aim for the retard market boys, there be gold in them retarded hills!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom