Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2: Storm of Zehir expansion (now confirmed)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Jaesun said:
Can you comment on that we might get to experience the deity changes that happen in 4.0?

THAT would be cool.

Do you mean story wise?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Anthony Davis said:
Jaesun said:
Can you comment on that we might get to experience the deity changes that happen in 4.0?

THAT would be cool.

Do you mean story wise?

Yes. I was hoping the main plot might touch on and we get to experience some of these.... changes. Obviously, the Mystra change could only happen at the very end of the game. :D

fastpunk

Arbiter
Anthony Davis said:
Basically, you will at certain points in the game be able to bring up the party generation screen. This screen will allow you to create new characters, export characters, and add or remove characters from your party.

Sounds good. But will these player generated party members have some sort of personality, opinions of their own, a background etc. ? Seems pretty hard to do that, since they're generated by the player. You'd need some sort of 'personality presets' when you generate characters. That's the part where I think we're all a bit fuzzy. The party dynamic.

nomask7

Arcane
I hope it's going to be as intelligent as MotB. I've learned to trust Vault Dweller's judgement on these matters, so I'll wait for his review of it, before making any decisions about buying it. If it's good, I'll support Obsidian et al. by buying it full price and recommending the same to everyone I know.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm officially excited about this.

Basically, you will at certain points in the game be able to bring up the party generation screen. This screen will allow you to create new characters, export characters, and add or remove characters from your party.

This could be a great mechanic. Recruit an NPC you meet. Assign him stats, levels, and skills. He comes with a personality, and maybe some differing dialog depending on what class(es) you made him.

So, we're keeping party banter and character personalities, but I won't be forced to decide what class to make my 'main' character based on the party members I'll be picking up.

Nathaniel Chapman

Developer
Dark Individual said:
Will there be dialogs with skill usage? Diplomacy, alignment based choices and so on?

Absolutely. This is one of the main focuses of the expansion. Don't be surprised if you see more alignment, skill, class and race based dialog options than in previous titles.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Nathaniel Chapman said:
Dark Individual said:
Will there be dialogs with skill usage? Diplomacy, alignment based choices and so on?

Absolutely. This is one of the main focuses of the expansion. Don't be surprised if you see more alignment, skill, class and race based dialog options than in previous titles.

Hey Nathanial! Are you acting as producer for NX2? Let TPTB give you a nice little dev avatar :cool:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
They should use this as a side quest in NX2:

Lathander's mind broke while trying to comprehend just what the fuck the writers were doing when they made Tyr kill Helm.

Starwars

Arcane
Great to see another developer, welcome Nathaniel! That sounds like good news indeed as well.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Xor said:

This could be a great mechanic. Recruit an NPC you meet. Assign him stats, levels, and skills. He comes with a personality, and maybe some differing dialog depending on what class(es) you made him.

So, we're keeping party banter and character personalities, but I won't be forced to decide what class to make my 'main' character based on the party members I'll be picking up.

There are two aspects to the party system. Characters you create and place in the party, and companions you meet along the adventure who will join your party.

Companions, or as we call them in the context of NX2, cohorts, will have a personality.

The characters you create will be just like any other created character in the player vaults.

Nathaniel Chapman

Developer
Sir_Brennus said:
Nathaniel Chapman said:
Dark Individual said:

Hey Nathanial! Are you acting as producer for NX2? Let TPTB give you a nice little dev avatar :cool:

Actually I've moved over to design and scripting on this project :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That sounds great! I'll play it once I have a computer that can handle NWN 2. (2014?)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
And the #1 obvious question. Will there be a large amount of Choice and Consequence... as much as MotB had.. or more?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
YAY! Another expansion to the best series of all time!!!!!

Shair

Novice
Great news! I was hoping for another NWN2 expansion after Alpha Protocol, which I am not too interested in to be honest.

A lot of people bash Sword Coast adventures but with high level of detail due to a lot of existing material on them, with various factions and whatnot, Sword Coast games can be pretty intricate both story and gameplay wise. So far that seems to be the aim.

*adds this to expected games list along with Aliens RPG and AoD.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Volourn said:
"even longer than ME"

Why do you lie, troll?

Mass Effect is something like a ten hour game. Sure, it takes longer if you play around a lot with the shitty exploration elements, but if you've played Star Control 2 or any of the Starflights you'll be bored out of your fucking mind.

Murk

Arcane
i like the way it sounds based off that description - seems rather sandboxy but i'm guessing obsidian would give it some moxy and substance

i guess i need a new video card then ;(

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
FeelTheRads said:
skyway said:
NWN2 with last patch and MotB run very well on an average-to-low spec rig with most settings maxed out.

Depends what you mean by low spec... because the laptop I'm on now has a 1.6Ghz (2000+ I think) Turion, 1Gb of Ram and a GeForce Go 6100 and the game runs like crap with all updates and on low settings. Of course I didn't mean upgrade this computer, I know laptops can't be really upgraded, duh... but the computer at home isn't much better: Just a P4 3Ghz, 1.5Gb of Ram and a GeForce 6600. I remember the game ran somewhat better on that, but still not good enough to bother. Interesting how Half-Life 2 for example ran perfectly. Someone explain, plz?

Ah, well... upgrading for just a game... or how I heard it just one expansion, maybe two doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Don't need to play anything else that my computer/laptop can't handle.
Actually the game seems to be completely random in individual performance.

My specs are almost the same as your home computer's (2.6 Ghz and Radeon 9700 being the difference) but I run it smoothly with 1280x1080 with maxed settings without antialising or shadows. I had to lower draw distance until I upgraded my RAM to 1Gb.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Mass Effect is something like a ten hour game."

Keep lying. It's amusing.

vrok

Liturgist
My final save game for Mass Effect reads 11 hours.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
"Mass Effect is something like a ten hour game."

Keep lying. It's amusing.
Volly, you know we all love you, our Pretty Princess, very much. You don't need to ask for attention.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I personally don't understand the big deal over 'length of game'. I have always preferred quality over quantity - Fallout 1 and Portal leap to mind in that regard.

Occasionally you get both, like in BG2.

Mass Effect seemed the right length to me, whatever the time played on my save game said.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
Xor said:

There are two aspects to the party system. Characters you create and place in the party, and companions you meet along the adventure who will join your party.

Companions, or as we call them in the context of NX2, cohorts, will have a personality.

The characters you create will be just like any other created character in the player vaults.

well it's indeed as I thought - BG2 way.
but I would've wished that when you create a character game would assign a personality to him/her.
just think on it - you will have a character like you wish it to be - from appearance to basic stats but with a personality assigned depending on character class or some other factors (or simply letting player choose a personality from some list with character names). yes I know it will be hard to make plus voice-overs and other fluff - but then it would be the most awesome character creation EVAR.

Anthony Davis said:
I personally don't understand the big deal over 'length of game'. I have always preferred quality over quantity - Fallout 1 and Portal leap to mind in that regard.

or Blade Runner.
6-8 hours long game. has 12 endings, each time you will play it something will be different + a fat load of C&C. and writing is on a par with movie/book

Nathaniel Chapman

Developer
Yeah, to be entirely honest, while I understand the general notion that longer == better than, I don't agree. In general I think there's a certain point where the more content there is in a game, the less polished that content ends up being.

Then again, maybe I'm just getting old. I loved Betrayal at Krondor and BG2 and obviously those games were really, really long. But, especially with BaK, there was an excitement to exploration that I seem to rarely find in games these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom