Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN still looks great after all this time

kosie99

Novice
This video from the Layonara persistent world just confirms again what a great piece of software the NWN toolset is. I have great hope for NWN2 and Dragon Age. I hope Obsidian can take the toolset to new heights.

ftp://64.127.106.70/movies/Layonara_Motion_Video.wmv

suibhne

Erudite
Why do you lie???

Seriously, I watched the video. I'll grant that The Witcher makes the NWN engine look great, but this video does not. Like the original NWN, it looks like a low-poly Everquest knockoff.

kosie99

Novice
I admit that the graphics looks dated compared to Bloodlines with the Unreal 2 engine. The graphics was not my point, but rather that this is a fairly rich world that was created and the toolset made all of this possible. Remember, real RPGers don't care that much about eye candy.

Lomer

Liturgist
kosie99 said:
I admit that the graphics looks dated compared to Bloodlines with the Unreal 2 engine. The graphics was not my point, but rather that this is a fairly rich world that was created and the toolset made all of this possible. Remember, real RPGers don't care that much about eye candy.

Real RPGers don't care that much about NWN either :) .

kosie99

Novice
Lomer said:
kosie99 said:

Real RPGers don't care that much about NWN either :) .

ouch...

The Exar

Liturgist
The graphics was not my point, but rather that this is a fairly rich world that was created and the toolset made all of this possible.
You like the game or you like the toolset? Sadly, they don't sell them separately...

But you're right. The toolset is the better product.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Bah. How can anyone honestly watch that video and seriously believe that NWN's graphics suck? Sure, they are not the best; but they most certianly do not suck. Bunch of imbeciles.

The Exar

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Bah. How can anyone honestly watch that video and seriously believe that NWN's graphics suck? Sure, they are not the best; but they most certianly do not suck. Bunch of imbeciles.
Watch carefuly when you spell "imbeciles" :wink:
AS for the graphic. It was good 2 years ago, but now it's simply outdated. Open your eyes. Play the new Troika game and then compare. Nothing personal. :cool:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It's not about comparing it. I would wager BL has better graphics. It's not about NWN being "better" or not. It's about it "sucking" or not. The graphics don't suck. When I think "sucky" graphics I think MW and only MW.

The Exar

Liturgist
Volourn said:
It's not about comparing it. I would wager BL has better graphics. It's not about NWN being "better" or not. It's about it "sucking" or not. The graphics don't suck. When I think "sucky" graphics I think MW and only MW.
When a game graphic is old it looks worse than new games graphic. Some gamers place graphic above everything else and that's because they are so critical.( Bloodlines really doesn't have any place here, but the same's with MW :) ) NWN graphic was good when I first played it, but now it's old. As the whole thread. Why don't we all stop comparing different games graphic? It's so relatively...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Once again, it's not about what's better or worse. It's about 'sucky" and not "not sucky'. NWN's graphics are not sucky. Are they 2 years old? Yes. Are they not as good as BL? Probably and most likely. Do they suck? No.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Interesting how little custom content they showed off in that video. Most of that's created right out of the box.

But my God, what's with all the lens flares? Why do people think that video games should look like films made by incompetent cinematographers?

Tiliqua

Liturgist
The graphics are at best adequate, the NPCs and PCs still look like shit, whenever I see NWN it reminds me of how much I miss the artwork possible in the Infinity Engine. NWN2 had better improve on this for me to purchase it.

kosie99

Novice
undead dolphin hacker said:
Eh. Th graphics are OK. Too bad the solid majority of the modules associated with that toolset suck ass.

And exactly that shows the power of the toolset. It allows anybody to create a module, even if you are a talentless hack. But people with the needed talent but lacking in artistic skills can perform wonders with it, something they could not do previously.

suibhne

Erudite
kosie99 said:
And exactly that shows the power of the toolset. It allows anybody to create a module, even if you are a talentless hack. But people with the needed talent but lacking in artistic skills can perform wonders with it, something they could not do previously.

Your hype is a few years too late; the rest of the gaming establishment has moved on. The more recent meme, in fact, is that NWN's toolset is difficult to use for the average gamer and doesn't offer the level of simplicity or flexibility that was promised. Hell, even Gamespy got religion on this point.

For what it's worth - I've spent some hours with the toolset, including hunting down some solutions on Bio's boards, and I was downright surprised by its clumsiness. Maybe it broke ground, but it sure didn't do it very elegantly.

It sounds like you've seen the light, though, and we're still shrouded in darkness, so I'm guessing this conversation won't be going anywhere fast. :D

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What part of this video looks great, I ask you? I think the part where the video shut off and I stared at my desktop with a Half Life 2 screenshot looked the best.

The Witcher looks great, and that's only because they're using a new graphics engine in place of the one that was in Neverwinter Nights. NWN was always ugly and that will never change.

Jinxed

Liturgist
kosie99 said:

Umm, Bloodlines uses Source.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Seen enough. Those graphics are SUCKASS. One word.

Go play a game on a new engine kthnxbye.

Seven

Erudite
kosie99 said:

With a title like "NWN still looks great after all this time", I can't imagine where we would get the impression that you were referring to graphics. :roll:

Curious, how does that video exhibit the toolset or the richness of the world?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
kosie99 said:
What? :roll:

And in no way does NWN look good, at least not now in the year of anti-aliasing.

jannie_se_ma

Novice
kosie99 said:
This video from the Layonara persistent world just confirms again what a great piece of software the NWN toolset is. I have great hope for NWN2 and Dragon Age. I hope Obsidian can take the toolset to new heights.

ftp://64.127.106.70/movies/Layonara_Motion_Video.wmv

Totally agree!

I am still playing after two years, and every new (good) module just makes me realize how great this game is. Now that we have official modules to download and play, I can't wait to see what the future holds.

One question to suibhne: You say the toolset is not easy to use? You must be a damn moron. My nephew (10 years old) can use it. And in any case, since the toolset was released for the community, maybe you should read the forums on Bio's site, and maybe have a look at the Vault before giving up...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom