Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN NWN 2 MotB & NWN Swordflight, Decadence and Retardation

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I didn't know the mod designer was reading the Codex...

I should probably post here more. Too many other demands on my time...

...It's interesting so far but it's really starting to look like a Russian Fallout mod with a single player and no companions...

You will get companions in due course (including eventually a permanent one that makes many players wish they could play without any), but ultimately NWN is not much good as a party-focused game (if you do not count multi-player). It might actually make more sense, and make the game easier to appreciate, if you compared it other single-character focused games like Fallout or an Elder Scrolls game, since in many respects (not all, naturally) NWN actually has more in common with games like that than more party-focused D&D games.

Again, a game of that type might well not be your cup of tea, but, as I said, I do think NWN compares well to other single-character focused games in its core systems (obviously actual campaign content would be another question). For example, one of NWN's biggest issues is the retarded henchman AI, but companion AI and control mechanisms in games like Fallout and Arcanum are even worse.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
You will get companions in due course (including eventually a permanent one that makes many players wish they could play without any)

I never took Fallout for a single character game, it was always party-based and even full control party based with mods/fix since forever.

One permanent henchman, i suppose it's the bard from part one...
I was hoping the Evil rogue/blackguard would be a permanent one down the line, it's making me want to drop it, a shame, i was just getting into it, even with some quests quite hard to follow (like the illmaster one)

rogueknight333

Arbiter
You will have several henchmen to adventure with during most of the 2nd half (approximately) of the module, if it is that important to you.

I just started playing Swordflight for the first time. I played NWN1 and 2 OCs on release, MOtB, etc. Swordflight is really impressive so far, easily better than all of the recent RPGs I've played.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
"Retarded side quests you HAVE to solve"

Whines about 'retards' doesn't even know what a side quest. Clearly they weren't SIDE quests if you HAVE to do them.

IDIOT.

But they clearly are side quests, no relations with the main story, except the main plot won't advance until you complete them, so, this is just terrible design.

And you're the retard for flapping your gums.

Darth Canoli Do you remember the Tome of Zataroth quest from the tavern? This is an excellent example of quest reactivity. Would you imagine one of the very first quests in the game (which you just derided - wrongly - as minor and inconsequential) has significant implications in Chapter 2?

It might not be your cup of tea, but I've never seen an early level D&D module as well-designed as this - including Baldur's Gate. Itemization is superb, encounter difficulty is expertly tuned. I usually breeze through these games without considering using consumables, or only using them sporadically, but here it's a necessity and you'll always getting by the skin of your teeth.

The only thing I really think is kind of mandatory is use magic device, because there are so many cool items and a lot of scrolls that you get to use. I usually prefer playing fighters in these games and had to take a rogue level early on to make this possible. However, it paid off in spades later on. In addition to UMD, you get sneak attacks which come in handy sometimes, even if you're a tank, and if you're willing to put a 2nd level in rogue somewhere along the way you get Evasion, which is quite useful.

Keep an open mind and you'll see that this module is amazing.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"But they clearly are side quests, no relations with the main story, except the main plot won't advance until you complete them, so, this is just terrible design."

If they are required for the main plot to advance, they are not side quests. Stop being retartet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom