Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN 2 - 3 fresh videos feat FEARGUS the MAN

aboyd

Liturgist
WouldBeCreator said:
And why not have multiple "recommendations" where the game asks, "Do you want to be a fighter type, mage type, cleric type, thief type?" and walks you through what the choices mean.
Doesn't the "recommended" button appear after you pick a fighter/mage/cleric/thief? That's an honest question, I don't recall from the video. But I think NWN1 worked that way. So it's kind of the same net effect -- the recommendation you get is tailored to the character build you want.

-Tony

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Yeah, as far as I know, the 'recommended' button can be pressed at pretty much any time. It may recommend a certain character type for beginners right off the bat but from what I recall from NWN1 you can hit it at any point if you don't know what stats/skills/feats to pick. And of course using 'recommended' isn't going to give you an UBAR character because it couldn't. You can't have an awesome character unless you are aware of his weaknesses and match your gameplay to them so that you can exploit the strengths. Why would anyone want to craft their own awesome character when they can just hit the UBAR button? So you hit 'recommended' and they give you a bland character based on certain guidelines and let you be on your way. Also from what I recall in NWN1 they had builds you could choose and then name the character and customize a little bit. I could be wrong. I don't think it's a big deal at all.

WouldBeCreator

Scholar
I believe it defaults to recommending a barbarian. All I know is it raised all his stats to 10 and then gave him a 16 in strength or something totally ridiculous like that, which even I, a non-AD&D player, knows is a horrible build for a fighter.

heiamll

Novice
WouldBeCreator said:
I believe it defaults to recommending a barbarian. All I know is it raised all his stats to 10 and then gave him a 16 in strength or something totally ridiculous like that, which even I, a non-AD&D player, knows is a horrible build for a fighter.

The recommended stats were actually pretty good for a barbarian: 16 STR/ 16 DEX/ 14 CON ... the rest were 10.

These videos were good.. especially the part about backgrounds and how they have a greater affect in the beginning but taper out later on.

LlamaGod

Cipher
doesnt Consitution help Rage alot?

A smart melee player raises Wisdom, too.

aboyd

Liturgist
If they've kept the point-buying system that was in NWN 1, then raising a stat to 18 is costly. Setting STR & DEX to 16 would be a decent compromise that would still leave the character well-rounded.

If it were me, I'd sacrifice CHAR & INT to raise up STR as much as possible, even to the point of getting the silly "dumb" dialogue options. But I'm not sure it's good to sacrifice other stats for STR in a general-purpose "recommend" system. Maybe if they had a "recommend" AND a "max" button, you could choose an "uber" build.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's going to affect anyone here. Pretty much all of us, I suspect, will be using the character gen system in full. The Codex people are not the market for the "recommend" button. Or at least, I don't think we are?

-Tony

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"a "max" button"

That's actually not a bad idea.

"Anyway, I'm not sure it's going to affect anyone here. Pretty much all of us, I suspect, will be using the character gen system in full. The Codex people are not the market for the "recommend" button. Or at least, I don't think we are?"

Let's hope not.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
how many members are allowed in NWN2 party?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
4 including the PC... one more than HOTU OC allowed... (technically, HOTU had no limits on party size).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
now that's pretty decent, here's hoping they have enough variety so it doesn't get old too fast. ;)

Tekar

Novice
The infinity engine party combat is looking like a huge improvement over #1. The boring 1 character combat was what made me shalf the game. I'm actually getting a bit excited. I hope you'll have full controll over your party members builds.

HotSnack

Cipher
Actually I hope I'll never have to delve my hands into the character builds of my companions outside of making crazy team builds, as by then you start to lose the sense of that character being a real person, and remembering that you're only taking him along for the ride as a mule with guns. Sure I'd like to be able to influence what they decide to learn, but I'd only like to see this happening while in-character i.e.

PC: Hey, it'd be really useful if you learned more buff spells.
Wizard: [Influence Check = Success] Hmm, sure. I'll think about it.

Of course, this all then goes back to devs making character builds that don't completely suck arse. But that shouldn't be too hard right? I mean, you don't even have to be a power-gamer, just someone who is familiar with the rule-system, and how they relate to your game, in order to figure out distinct but fully functional builds.

Right?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
HotSnack said:
and remembering that you're only taking him along for the ride as a mule with guns.

Actually, that's the only reason to have companions in NWN 1. Since they add nothing to the gameplay itself (and their personality sucked for the most part), most of the times i would rather go solo, but needed the inventory space.

With infinity games, i think being able to control party members as if they were your own just made the game a whole lot more fun to play.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
And, made the game(s) less role-playing since you ar eplaying a mlti headed hydra not a character with his friends and companions. BG series treated npcs like slaves not npcs in that regard.

"Since they add nothing to the gameplay itself (and their personality sucked for the most part),"

Idiot. Stop lying.

R00fles!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Volourn said:
And, made the game(s) less role-playing since you ar eplaying a mlti headed hydra not a character with his friends and companions. BG series treated npcs like slaves not npcs in that regard.

You have the same fucking control over the NWN 1 NPCs that you had over the ones from Baldur's Gate, except instead then doing it directly you had to go through shitty AI and bullshit dialog options. That did nothing to improve roleplaying and did a whole lot to ruin whatever gameplay the infinity engine games had...

Rina

Scholar
I hope you can now actually tell NPC's to fuck off or kill them if you dont like them, instead of having them to hanging around in your stronghold or whatever you supposedly get.
KoTOR2 was a terrible game but the fact that you were forced to be friends with a bunch of retards didnt really make it any better.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You have the same fucking control over the NWN 1 NPCs that you had over the ones from Baldur's Gate"

No, you don't. That's bullshit.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The videos look interesting.
But am I the only one who doesnt really like the visual style?
When I look at this gameworld, it looks like I was doing something in an editor or construction set (yeah I know at one point he showed actually the editor)

The looks of the gameworld seem not very natural for me, you can still see that everything is build on a modular basis.

The UI and the buttons which are rather "clean" and modern looking add to the impression that I'm sitting in front of a level editor instead being really immersed into the gameworld.

aboyd

Liturgist
I think he's tedious. If the people in charge of the technical side of this forum would install my Simple Ignore 1.4.2 phpBB mod, I'd use it.

Hmm. Maybe I can use Greasemonkey.

-Tony

aboyd

Liturgist
Really? I've never seen that happen on any of the forums that use it.

-T

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Can you guys hear me?!
icon_sadblinky.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom