Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NV leaked

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
First Jimpressions of New Vegas: As far as I am concerned, Alpha Protocol never happened now. Slate's clean.
Professional Troll Jim Sterling is just getting your guard down so he can slide the knife in more easily.

Clockwork Knight said:
I figured when people said "Beth won't let them" they're referring to things like epic soundtrack, lulsy humour, player ego-stroking - things their fanbase likes.
I'm not so sure about "lulsy humor." Here's a demonstration of Passing the Buck:
Avellone, years ago:
GB: Looking back, is there anything about the development of Fallout 2 that you would have liked to change? Was any content removed due to cost or time constraints that you would have liked to see implemented?

Chris: Less in-jokes, it's a pretty immature way to design a game (it's a design directive here at Obsidian that we don't do in-jokes or cultural references).
Avellone last August:
The Wild Wasteland trait, what it'll do is, it'll actually open brand new encounters across the wasteland. It's solely an optional thing that if you want to choose it, you can actually have these special encounters that have references to pop culture, other game references. That's something our project director Josh Sawyer felt very strongly about, so when we put it in the game, people that encountered it at the studio are pretty excited about it.
Sawyer in September:
GN AU: Yeah – Wild Wasteland. What's the deal with that perk?

Josh Sawyer: Okay, so basically – the Fallout franchise has, in its past, had a lot of goofy humour in it – and people seem really polarized by it. Some people were like, 'Ah – I love it! Put more Monty Python reverences in it!' and some people were like 'I can't stand it—it really irritates me in every way, shape and form.' I generally do not like the pop-culture references.

IGN AU: No kidding. Why not?

Josh Sawyer: I dunno – it just kind of pulls me out of the world. And a lot of times it just seems kind of cheesy and goofy. I mean, I kind of appreciate it in a 'ha ha ha –fine' kind of way, but once it starts to go overboard and the world is full of it, it just starts to irritate me I guess.

In any case, a lot of our designers wanted to put that stuff in there and I'd be saying 'no, no, no, don't do it.' Eventually we thought, you know, there's probably an easy way to do this, which is a perk that basically says 'I wanna see all the goofy shit.' So we have Wild Wasteland. You opt into it at the beginning and then you get to see all the goofy crap.

Jezal_k23

Sometimes people make a big deal over small things. Honestly, those bug reports we've been hearing for now are bugs that are present in Oblivion/FO3, too, and for me it doesn't matter whether or not they're still present in NV.

I honestly couldn't give a shit about seeing a couple enemies flying around or ramming a wall or forgetting where you are, as long as it doesn't happen too often. It's a game for fuck's sakes.

What I do take seriously is game breaking bugs, and we haven't heard reports of any of those yet, as far as I know.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Shit not leaked for PC yet? FFS incompetent warez scene.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
GN AU: Yeah – Wild Wasteland. What's the deal with that perk?

Josh Sawyer: Okay, so basically – the Fallout franchise has, in its past, had a lot of goofy humour in it – and people seem really polarized by it. Some people were like, 'Ah – I love it! Put more Monty Python reverences in it!' and some people were like 'I can't stand it—it really irritates me in every way, shape and form.' I generally do not like the pop-culture references.

IGN AU: No kidding. Why not?

Josh Sawyer: I dunno – it just kind of pulls me out of the world. And a lot of times it just seems kind of cheesy and goofy. I mean, I kind of appreciate it in a 'ha ha ha –fine' kind of way, but once it starts to go overboard and the world is full of it, it just starts to irritate me I guess.

In any case, a lot of our designers wanted to put that stuff in there and I'd be saying 'no, no, no, don't do it.' Eventually we thought, you know, there's probably an easy way to do this, which is a perk that basically says 'I wanna see all the goofy shit.' So we have Wild Wasteland. You opt into it at the beginning and then you get to see all the goofy crap.
:salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Eventually we thought, you know, there's probably an easy way to do this, which is a perk that basically says 'I wanna see all the goofy shit.' So we have Wild Wasteland. You opt into it at the beginning and then you get to see all the goofy crap.
Thank you Josh, I love you too :love:

See, there's always ways to make everyone happy. You just don't try and compromize and do both at once: you just give the option, either/or. You want lulz? pick the perk. You don't want lulz? don't pick it.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ah, but what if I want lulzy goofy crap some of the time but not all the time, say, in a 30:70 ratio to serious grimdarkity?

Jezal_k23

Zed said:
Shit not leaked for PC yet? FFS incompetent warez scene.

If there's one thing that Steam DOES protect against, it's leaked releases. You won't see it until a few hours after it's official release.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Freelance Henchman said:
I'm conflicted if I should take the lulz-feat or not.

I'll play it lulz free first and then lulz full. That way I'll appreciate the jokes a bit more, kind of like how I'd first play a normal clan and then malkavian at VtMB

Jezal_k23

Gay-Lussac said:
Freelance Henchman said:
I'm conflicted if I should take the lulz-feat or not.

I'll play it lulz free first and then lulz full. That way I'll appreciate the jokes a bit more, kind of like how I'd first play a normal clan and then malkavian at VtMB

Exactly what I'm doing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bethesda: Shitty writers and designers, shitty engine and programming, shitty optimization and quality control.

Obsidian: Great writers and good designers but their hands are tied (lol), shitty engine and programming, shitty optimization and quality control.

New Vegas: same shit as Fallout 3, just smells different. My prediction.

madbringer

Arcane
Ah.

Fallout 3 was a nasty diarrhea with bits of baked corn swimming in it. NV is going to be a solid, hard, elegant turd that's easy to clean up and dispose of.

Ancient

Erudite
madbringer said:
Ah.

Fallout 3 was a nasty diarrhea with bits of baked corn swimming in it. NV is going to be a solid, hard, elegant turd that's easy to clean up and dispose of.

It's your problem that you can't enjoy games for what they are :/

alkeides

Arcane
Patron
FFS why would they want to delay the release to match the console release date when the console version has already been leaked? Shouldn't they rather pull the console release earlier (assuming the logistics allow it) to prevent any further loss of sales?

madbringer

Arcane
Ancient said:
madbringer said:
Ah.

It's your problem that you can't enjoy games for what they are :/

Oh, shut up and get on the bandwagon. We have dope and hookers.

Drakron

Arcane
Europe gets it on the 22th, NA gets it on the 19th.

Steam looks to were you are and fucks you over if you are European, there is a way around it it seems (seen someone talking about it on the Fallout Wiki).

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Drakron said:
Steam looks to were you are and fucks you over if you are European, there is a way around it it seems (seen someone talking about it on the Fallout Wiki).

Nothing stopping you from getting a proxy or VPN and grabbing the game at NA release.

Ancient

Erudite
Turisas said:
Drakron said:

Nothing stopping you from getting a proxy or VPN and grabbing the game at NA release.

unsafe

Stabwound

Arcane

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stabwound said:
Mastermind said:
taviow said:
Satori said:
Been delayed. 3 days and 8 hours till Steam unlock.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/22380/

Still 14 hours away here. :smug:

Same here. If I don't get a call from EB tomorrow I'm burning half the city to the ground.

Pretty sure the "release date" is not the same as the street date. Meaning you should expect it the day after tomorrow. But I could be wrong.

No, release date is when it's available in stores. Stores usually get it earlier (and are not allowed to sell it, though some do anyway). It's also possible stores can get it later, in which case, I'm burning half the city to the ground.

Plus, this implies it'll be available in stores starting with midnight tonight:
http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/10/1 ... nch-night/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom