Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Not-Ultima Online 2: Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter is Live

Satisfactory game design isn't hard, but great game design is both rare and difficult. It's rare enough that most people don't even know what it looks like.

I agree. There are many more basic problems that need to be dealt with to allow great design to reach the end product.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
I find it curious how all the great game design moments come from left field.... from people with little experience... and then it is grabbed and tweaked over a lifetime of many iterations. But, that first "woa, this is interesting and new" moment always seems to come at the start from a nobody.

Maybe if we want great game design, we should be handing the reigns to the ones with the fresh points of view and wide eyed passion. Not just the ones with the longest resumes. I'm not saying hand over multi-million budgets to anyone, leave that money on the safe iterations. But, there should be at least SOME investment in the new stuff (which, there simply isn't in the gaming industry).

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Read the first 10 or 20 questions. Fans wanking him off. Closed the page and went back to trying to forget Garriot and this Kickstarter even exist.

Stabwound

Arcane
VSHgSeM.png

"Congrats on returning to thy roots! Now, how detailed shalt the character dress-up be?"

:roll:

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Matt Chat's decent. Dude sounds like he wants to make a good game. I personally think he's looking back and wishing he didn't waste two decades of his life. This is pretty much analogous to George Lucas when he directed the Star Wars prequels. He means well, but you can never go home. He strayed too far for too long and just doesn't realize it yet. I actually feel sorry for the guy. On the surface he acts like he has everything, but in reality he's only living a lie. He might be Lord British on the outside, but on the inside, he's no better then Mondain's long dead corpse...

...In space.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
This is pretty much analogous to George Lucas when he directed the Star Wars prequels. He means well, but you can never go home. He strayed too far for too long and just doesn't realize it yet. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Yea... when you play games and are on the cutting edge of what is happening (because, well , you play and live it). You can make cool new stuff. When you stop having that passion and don't care about them as much... suddenly you go out of touch with everything.

Customizable eyebrows? Omgawd ~_~

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It reminds me of how the Matrix came out a month before Phantom Menace and blew everyone away and later won all the Sci Fi awards while Star wars seemed old hat as hell.

AC Sleighter

Novice
Reading over that Reddit shit and I'm having a hard time understanding how there is anyone that still believes this is not an MMO.

Luzur

Good Sir
if this is such a free world, why cant i be free to build my own tax-free house out in the wilderness, where no tax-man can ever find me?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
:keepmymoney:
Hail and well met! Tis a sad sight that thine Kickstarter sucketh thus much cock. I hath pulled mine pledge and gone on to back Divinity: Original Sin henceforth!

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2013/04...saken-virtues-kickstarter-deadline-coming-up/

Spoony:
There are only two days left to support the Kickstarter for Richard Garriott’s newest project, Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues! If the fundraiser reaches $1.5M, I get to personally interview and do a full, official flaming of Lord British himself! That’s right! I’ll roast Lord British harder than Rainz!

FFS Spoony! :rpgcodex:

Fuck him and his retardation. He should stick to doing videos and shut the fuck up besides.

How can he fucking pledge to this shit after that Ultima retrospective?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm impressed how much weight LB's name carries. Makes you wonder what "Old School RPG" did wrong.

His name carries weight because a game he made is still being played today by relatively large numbers of people - Ultima Online.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Laugh all you want, but that demo seemed pretty promising. Real conversation system, world map perspective, player crafted economy, 80's Ultima style music, and a generous number of puzzles are all incline in my book. I don't necessarily know how well the crowd sourcing and social features will turn out, but I want to believe in this project. I only played the middle Ultima's, so I've never been burned by British... In fact, I actually enjoy crazy ass toy makers. Fuck it. The demo's definitely worth watching.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom