Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Non-linear adventure games

Deleted member 7219

The truck thing is timed but its easy to do once you know you've got a few seconds to get out. But I remember I died on the first few attempts. I loved the creepy NSA guys outside the house where you find Mulder. You can either go with them (and the game ends), shoot them, or run away from them. I've never tried the last part although I've heard you have to run through a forest and hide behind a log. Shooting them was easy because that thing in the Russian's warehouse was pretty much a shooting tutorial. They come out really slowly from behind those pillars.

Panthera

Scholar
I remember reading about an early 3d adventure game that was very non-linear. Took place on a space ship. I forget what it's called.

laffer35

Novice
"It Came from the Desert" is pretty non-linear.. well, in the way that you can go wherever you want at any time you want, and you can miss out on almost everything if you're not at the right places at the right times.
The game only has one ending, but what you do up to that point can vary quite a bit.

It's not really an adventure game, the game is very hard to put into any specific genre... but it's a game that I think appeals to many adventure game fans.

That's because of the focus on the storyline, figuring out what's going on, many cool characters and great atmosphere.

There are quite a few action sequences, though.. so if you're one of those that despise that, I'd recommend you stay away from this game.

Of course one should play the Amiga version... the PC version is terrible.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Virtz said:
Bureau 13 - puzzle solutions vary based on which 2 of the 6 available operatives you choose to take at the beginning.

Yeah, I remember that one. It was pretty neat - you could choose from a woman in a robotic suit, a vampire (that can turn into miasma among other things), and others...

Ohlie

Novice
Panthera said:
I remember reading about an early 3d adventure game that was very non-linear. Took place on a space ship. I forget what it's called.

Probably not what you're thinking of, but I remember playing Mission Critical a long time ago. It was pretty fun, and you could free-roam on a space ship. The story wasn't non-linear, although I recall there was time pressure and randomly timed attacks by enemy ships. It also featured Michael Dorn slumming it in a cameo role.

mission1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom