Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Non-lethal combat

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hazelnut said:
I'm not sure I like the idea of having to pay attention to not accidentally kill someone like Claw suggests. Might this lead to metagaming calculations of how to deal enough damage to take someone out without dealing too much and killing them?
I don't see what's metagaming about knowing that injuring your opponent too badly can kill him, and trying to injure him just enough to incapacitate him. Of course, outright non-lethal attacks might be best, but no game is perfect.
The idea is having to limit yourself (i.e. not using the most powerful attack even if you might prefer to) and being rewarded or punished for your playing style. You can play carelessly, killing many enemies unintentionally and earning the reputation that goes with it or trying to carefully dispatch injured foes, potentially making fights harder for yourself.

Elhoim said:
Make it -10! :lol:

No, really, -5 is too little.
Well, I'm not sure how much damage an average or powerful attack might do. It should be neither too easy nor too unlikely. It should be possible to control to some degree rather than blind luck.

One Wolf

Scholar
in fallout 2, you can do some boxing in san francisco. after depleting a certain amount of hp, the match ended and your opponent resigned. i remember that the matches were bugged, and if you killed one you had to fight 2 people, then 3, then 4, etc. i found trying not to kill them accidentally extremely annoying, and reloaded many times. that was just vs. 6 consecutive opponents and my unarmed skill was pretty low (like 70%). i am strongly in favor of autoknockout, as much fun as it might seem to calculate your attacks, i don't believe that it will actually work out the way people are envisioning it.

oops critical reload. oops max damage roll reload. oops enemy hp too low reload. oops critical reload.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Btw, what do people think of the non-lethal combat concept? Yay or nay? Come to think about it, we can easily allow non-lethal challenges, but keep everything else lethal and deadly

I really like the non lethal touch, but it would be nice to have some sort of option. Maybe a togglable mode, a knock out move, a possibility of an opponent yielding, or a second threshhold like claw suggested. I do like the idea of being careful if you want to keep somebody alive. If you dont want somebody dead, you can always stab em through the face, while a "0 HP" achieved through whacking a limb would be an interesting way to do an optional disable.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
One Wolf said:
oops critical reload. oops max damage roll reload. oops enemy hp too low reload. oops critical reload.
Well, if you have a habit of reloading every time the game doesn't develop to your liking, I think that's your problem. Oops, I am radiated reload. Oops I got addicted to Buffout reload. Oops I didn't know that I can't complete quest Y after completing quest Y reload.

I hardly think the situation compares. For one, there is no bug involved. If killing your opponent didn't cause that bug in FO2, would you ever have bothered to try and not kill your opponent?
For another, you have more options in AoD. You can disarm your opponents. Which brings up an interesing point. When asked about unarmed combat, VD once said "He runs away or dies with honor" which makes me wonder what happens if you disarm all your enemies in AoD. Maybe they'll indeed flee? That should be almost as good as knocking them unconscious.

galsiah

Erudite
Claw said:
Well, if you have a habit of reloading every time the game doesn't develop to your liking, I think that's your problem.
That argument only makes any sense when addressing a single player complaining about his experience with a game. It does not make sense in a discussion on game design. If a significant proportion of users are going to get annoyed by some feature (whether or not it's "their problem"), that's a design flaw. Avoidable design flaws are not good - however much user stupidity is at fault.

It's probably not possible to completely eliminate all save/reload issues, but it is possible to attempt to minimize the most problematic cases. If this would be such a case, it makes sense not to include it.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Excuse my brevity. Bullshit.

The only real question here is whether or not you find undesired conquences acceptable.
If you don't, you reload. That's your problem.

There are other potential issues, none of which actually apply. Wolf didn't even make the case that his example actually applies, he only suggested that it does. I file a motion that the suit be dismissed for lack of evidence.

galsiah

Erudite
I said "IF this would be such a case, it makes sense not to include it."

My point is that the "that's your problem" line is irrelevant here. IF it would make things less entertaining for many users (in the target audience), it's bad design - even if those users bring it on themselves.

I'm saying nothing about this particular case, beyond the fact that any "that's your problem" counter is completely irrelevant. To show that it isn't bad design, you'd need to show that it isn't going to make the game less entertaining for people. Simply showing that it's always the user's fault achieves nothing.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Claw said:
Hazelnut said:
I'm not sure I like the idea of having to pay attention to not accidentally kill someone like Claw suggests. Might this lead to metagaming calculations of how to deal enough damage to take someone out without dealing too much and killing them?
I don't see what's metagaming about knowing that injuring your opponent too badly can kill him, and trying to injure him just enough to incapacitate him. Of course, outright non-lethal attacks might be best, but no game is perfect.
The idea is having to limit yourself (i.e. not using the most powerful attack even if you might prefer to) and being rewarded or punished for your playing style. You can play carelessly, killing many enemies unintentionally and earning the reputation that goes with it or trying to carefully dispatch injured foes, potentially making fights harder for yourself.

Okay, let me try and clarify what's in my head regarding this:

I am not sure about having to calculate numbers to avoid killing someone in combat. I'm thinking of consequences like keeping a really rubbish weapon to hand (e.g. blunt dagger or something) for the sole purpose of taking out a foe without killing them etc. Not good and a potential irritation rather than gameplay IMHO.

I do like the idea of making it an interesting decision, possibly even not always a sure thing for a char that's not particularly finessed at combat (e.g. scholar or a brutish fighter etc) - it just shouldn't be down to the player to calculate how to get a foe's hp down in between two limits.

A possibility, either for non-lethal 'mode' or all the time, is that any hit that drops the foes hp to <=0 will set the hp to 0 (unconcious) if successful at the non-lethal blow (considering the character type), and thereafter any further hit will kill them.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
So, will there be different types of coup de grâce maneuvers for different types of weapons?

Keep non-lethal combat the way it is. All combat in CRPGs is an abstraction anyway, this is no different.

Mr Happy

Scholar
Seriously tho, whatever floats the boat. It would be nice to play this game in my lifetime :cool:

Claw

Erudite
Patron
galsiah said:
I said "IF this would be such a case, it makes sense not to include it."
My bad. I thought your post were relevant.

To show that it isn't bad design, you'd need to show that it isn't going to make the game less entertaining for people.
Thanks for reminding me that I didn't achieve what I wasn't trying to do in the first place.

Hazelnut said:
I am not sure about having to calculate numbers to avoid killing someone in combat. I'm thinking of consequences like keeping a really rubbish weapon to hand (e.g. blunt dagger or something) for the sole purpose of taking out a foe without killing them etc. Not good and a potential irritation rather than gameplay IMHO.
Well, your first concern is directly tied to the fact that health is a number in the game. You're exaggerating the issue of calculating though, it's not like you actually have to do difficult math. You could as well say that choosing between different attack types (different damage modifications and AP costs as well at ToHit chances) or weapons (different damage ranges) is having to calculate numbers. You may not even know the exact values, as in Fallout: If your enemy is "almost dead" you might consider putting the minigun away.
The problem isn't "calculating numbers" but what exactly you can or have to do if you want to not kill your opponents, which is very much an issue of the game mechanics in detail.
For instance, Fallout offered little control of the exact amount of damage you were doing short of switching to melee or another ineffective weapon and went crazy with critical hits doing tremendous damage, and that's what I mainly used aimed attacks for as well.
When I think about aimed attacks in AoD, I see the special effects like disarming first, and high damage second, but I don't really know how it actually plays out and how much damage criticals do.
Fast attacks however do considerably less damage accoding to the formula VD gave, with the maximum damage halved, while a power attack does at least that much. That's a pretty significant distincion, giving the player much control over how much damage he causes.
As Elhoim already pointed out, the actual value of the threshold matters. Too low, and you'll have a hard time controlling the outcome. Too large, and there is no risk of accidentally killing anyone, rendering it useless.
Half the maximum damage of an average weapon plus a few points to compensate for strength bonus might be about right for the purpose. It's not enough to make every successful normal or even powerful attack on a severily injured foe a fatal blow, but it should be enough to encourage player to at least think about how they finish of their opponent.
Your example of keeping a blunt dagger is also an exaggeration, but you might consider keeping a dagger for that purpose. Sure, it's not perfect, and in reality you could actively try to cause non-lethat injuries, but then again you might accidentally kill your enemy anyway.
You know, I thought the addiciton mechanic in Fallout was great. I admit I usually reloaded when that happened, unwilling to deal with the consequences, but that was my choice and no design flaw.

Last not least, I thought of a game which features a similar mechanic, and lo and behold: It's Realms of Arkania, my favourite example for superior game mechanics. Most of the time one of my heros was felled, he or she was only unconscious. And that was by pure chance, not because the opponent tried to.

galsiah

Erudite
galsiah said:
To show that it isn't bad design, you'd need to show that it isn't going to make the game less entertaining for people.
Thanks for reminding me that I didn't achieve what I wasn't trying to do in the first place.
So you're proposing something be included which you acknowledge might be bad design? Or are you saying that it can be good design without entertaining people?

You know, I thought the addiciton mechanic in Fallout was great. I admit I usually reloaded when that happened, unwilling to deal with the consequences, but that was my choice and no design flaw.
No: it was your choice AND a design flaw.
If it had made things genuinely interesting, you probably wouldn't have reloaded. It didn't - it simply introduced an annoying chore.

Something is bad design if many players are less entertained because of it. Whether or not some of them can say "I know that's my fault", is 100% irrelevant. An idea that only entertains in an ideal world with ideal players is a bad idea.

If you can make the case for a chance of lethality being a really interesting mechanic (i.e. much better than the Fallout addiction mechanic), I'll be all for it. You'll need to do that in the real world though - where players reload, and get annoyed by counter-intuitive meta-games.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mr Happy said:
Seriously tho, whatever floats the boat. It would be nice to play this game in my lifetime :cool:
It all depends on how old you are. If you are over 25, forget about it. You won't live that long.

Mr Happy

Scholar
aiee.gif

HardCode

Erudite
Non-lethal combat? Yay, but with limitations. If you are using a weapon that you have hardly any skill with (say a crossbow), you shouldn't automatically succeed in non-lethal combat. There should be a percent chance that you accidentally kill the target. If you are highly skilled with a mace, then you should have a greatly increased chance of finishing non-lethal. However, there should ALWAYS be a small chance of killing the target, even with fists/feet.

darks

Novice
HardCode said:
However, there should ALWAYS be a small chance of killing the target, even with fists/feet.

What about when you're poking them with a fork? Will that be lethal sometimes too?

On a more serious note: i think you're overthinking here. Lethal or non-lethal Comabt can both play out fine. You just can't judge that, given the fact that you never played the damn game and don't know how it "feels" and fits all together. So, VD, either let us beta-test it for more opinions on different complex subjects, or just finish that damn thing!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Violent death is too unpredictable to be presented in a game in a realistic fashion. Some people might have to literally get beaten to a pulp to die, and some might die after having their hand stabbed with a fork. So, do whatever makes the game more interesting, and the Gothicy way seems to be the way to go.

It all depends on how old you are. If you are over 25, forget about it. You won't live that long.

Great, then I'll get to play it when I'm senile and blind, and after three heart attacks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom