Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Noita - magical action roguelike where every pixel is physically simulated

Perkel

Arcane
noita is good and bad game at the same time.

Good because like people said it tries to be different, creates gimminck and runs with it and it works. Then there is world which in pretty amazing. When it works it is really good.

The issue is that gameplay is just not tight enough and at the end it is simple platformer with absolutely RNG roll of a dice playtroughts. All of its complexity basically requires you to spend like 100s playtroughts to learn by chance one thing or two from dozens.

Imho being random is detrimental to game. Imho carefully designed world would be much better.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
It's not for everyone but it's amazing if you really love discovery, exploration and experimentation.
The game is 90% secrets. Beating the boss with a straight run through is nothing.
It's like playing poker, you get dealt some cards and you make the best you can out of them. If you want a run with specific things, you can find seeds to guarantee certain things are there.
One of the things that keeps a game alive is rules that change when the game gets too easy or boring. Like kids playing with a ball, if they get bored, they add new conditions to make it fun. Baba is You, which was made by a guy on the Noita team, is the same. The rules change as the game progresses, somewhat.
The world is absolutely carefully designed, with dozens and dozens of interconnected secrets, but if you don't make an effort to find them, it won't be apparent.

ciox

Liturgist
I think it's a better immersive sim than anything we've seen in a very long time. Your guy is very vulnerable to the environment, enemies and even his own abilities. There's impactful choices and self-inflicted sticky situations everywhere, and making the right decision is very important compared to just using twitch reflexes. The dynamic environment helps a lot with all of this and is more advanced than just about anything I've seen in a game where you control a single character.

Good because like people said it tries to be different, creates gimminck and runs with it and it works. Then there is world which in pretty amazing. When it works it is really good.

The issue is that gameplay is just not tight enough and at the end it is simple platformer with absolutely RNG roll of a dice playtroughts. All of its complexity basically requires you to spend like 100s playtroughts to learn by chance one thing or two from dozens.

Imho being random is detrimental to game. Imho carefully designed world would be much better.
It definitely is quite random, but watching streamers play (live, not prerecorded) shows they've developed the ability to adapt to the game's RNG on the fly and reduce its impact to the bare minimum, basically only the polymorph-casting enemies are still a big issue, and even there you know all the areas where they can spawn, and can adapt. I never got to that level but knowing that it's possible informs me that the game isn't just bullshitting me non-stop with impossible situations.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
Hey is there any way to restore life, asides from reaching the Holy Mountain?

boomerang spell + healing bolt on a wand, can be enhanced in various ways
make a healing bolt wand and drop it near a monster, they should heal you
pheromone on a healing bolt wand maybe?
pheromone on Hiisi healers
get two Hiisi healers near you, kick one of them and the other fires a healing bolt that can hit you
healing auras
vampirism perk and drinking blood
blood money perk
if you defeat certain bosses, you can get wand modifiers that give you infinite spell uses and therefore infinite healing

Ivan

Arcane
This game really nails the dungeon-crawling experience I personally like most. It doesn't have the resource management I love from Spelunky, but it is its own beast worth spending time with, getting lost, learning the ropes, and learning by failing.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Roguelikes are a con. They get you excited about the gameplay but then it goes nowhere, just repeats level 1-3 over and over. Some are better than others. I think Noita would be great as an RPG or something.

Spukrian

Savant
The new update fixes the bug with the chainsaw (if you used it a lot then after a while the game would start to lag and eventually crash if you didn't restart). I just tested it and the chainsaw still has it's "special" "hidden" property. Nice!

Ivan

Arcane
any hints on the chainsaw's "magical ability" also, any way to see the spell tooltip on wands? it seems that when buying them you can't hover over the tooltip...

Palikka

Arcane
any hints on the chainsaw's "magical ability" also, any way to see the spell tooltip on wands? it seems that when buying them you can't hover over the tooltip...

What do you mean by tooltips? If there is a wand in sale that you want to see closer, you can start the buy process where it asks in what slot you want to put the new wand and there you can check the spells in the wand etc. You can still cancel the buy from this dialog.

Ivan

Arcane
finally glimpsed the "end"
3511D78D817906AB485676B0CAC137FF9D617BEB

panicked, got pushed, fell into lava
5BA97421790312D8DC65F02091295BC0C2F4DDAB

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You just described every roguelike and roguelite ever made.

Ivan

Arcane
is this the run?
9857047A2B649BDBC0AA15D8F1CAB0777671B26B

it was a tough fight, even had to dip into my +1 life
1D6FF267ABBB258661DBE098A682E39326969625

in the end we prevailed!
706A86DDEE05EB47BD5C872E3E4301453C702ED9

Noita is a brutal game, one that often teaches you humility. It will kick your ass, but always welcome you with open arms for a new attempt to experiment, learn, calculate risks, and keep kicking your ass. I loved it. I think I'll put it down for a bit now that I've rolled credits before I even begin to glimpse at the gargantuan endgame/postgame content. Easily my favorite roguelike since Spelunky.

Last edited:

Spukrian

Savant
In case you missed it (I did) the devs are working on a medium sized update that will have: new biome, new enemies, new boss, lots of new materials, etc.

If you're on the Noita Beta on Steam then you might have seen a few of the new things.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
cool
though the game map is already fuckhuge
and there's a mod that adds plenty of new enemies and bosses
co-op would be nicer imo
but i'll take this too

ciox

Liturgist
Huh. I think what people wanted the most was like, some more structure to the game, even if it's in a different mode, rather than more stuff that can instantly murder you. But we shall see.

SlamDunk

Arcane
In case you missed it (I did) the devs are working on a medium sized update that will have: new biome, new enemies, new boss, lots of new materials, etc.

If you're on the Noita Beta on Steam then you might have seen a few of the new things.
New Noita add-ons are always a good thing and that's why I rated your post INCLINE...

...but what I'd really like to see is voxel-based 3D Noita: every voxel physically simulated.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Still think this is one of those games everyone should at least try cause there's nothing really like it out there.

Also, yes, 'beating' the game is barely scratching the surface. There are weird secrets and things to explore absolutely everywhere.

ciox

Liturgist
post some pics if you have them i'm not going back to the discord after they trooned that shit out to the max

ciox

Liturgist
As wacky and volatile as ever. I'm pretty sure teleport mages were a thing in the original though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom