Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobunigga's Ambition Awakening - Grorious dispray myrord!

Silva

Arcane
Care to elaborate why this is the best NA you played?
I'm not that much into the series either, but I tried the last entries and found them casual weaksauce. This new entry though is engrossing and actually challenging for a change (I took two checkmantes from the AI already). So if you like the historical period, yes, it seems a great starting place. Just be aware the UI is horrendous and the controls apparently designed for octopuses.

Can someone detail the most innovative or at least unique strategy mechanics? How does this compare to a Paradox or Slitherine title?
It's a mix of Hearts of Iron and Crusader Kings, AKA map-painting with heavy emphasis on human resources.

The real show stealer here is how your officers have a huge impact on your success. Not only through mundane stuff like ability scores speeding up farm work or killing more enemies in battle, but also behaving autonomously by managing their lands according to their own personalities, intervening on your decisions, suggesting new actions, or getting pissed because you're too incompetent and marching on the enemy by themselves (and creating a diplomatic crisis for you). Eg:

my last game I started as a shitty clan with a bunch of incompentent officers and was having a tough time. But as soon as I recruited a couple good officers my clan started to see success: one guy was a "monk" (more of an art smuggler, I had to give him a precious treasure for him to join) with a "Networking" trait that allowed him to recruit candidates from far away lands, which resulted in my ranks growing with talented people in no time. The other dude was a ninja (yes a ninja LOL) that started to suggest advanced covert ops shit and poisoning other lords, spreading gossip to undo enemies alliances, exploding castle gates, etc. which made my life easier to take their lands.

One principle the game runs with - for good or bad - is that you as the daimyo/king has access to all types of activities on a basic level. Only officers with good skill can enable activities on advanced level , and even so upon their own suggestions or interventions. So the poison assassination cited above won't really show up on your "Covert Ops" menu. It's something I must wait an officer with the right trait ("Plots") to suggest on their own, or instigate by doing another thing and having him intervene and say "Wait! how about we do that instead?".

had written more but that's the gist of it, really. For fans of the period this series was always more historical than Shogun TW but lacked the gameplay. It seems this time they matched that.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Care to elaborate why this is the best NA you played?
I'm not that much into the series either, but I tried the last entries and found them casual weaksauce. This new entry though is engrossing and actually challenging for a change (I took two checkmantes from the AI already). So if you like the historical period, yes, it seems a great starting place. Just be aware the UI is horrendous and the controls apparently designed for octopuses.

Can someone detail the most innovative or at least unique strategy mechanics? How does this compare to a Paradox or Slitherine title?
It's a mix of Hearts of Iron and Crusader Kings, AKA map-painting with heavy emphasis on human resources.

The real show stealer here is how your officers have a huge impact on your success. Not only through mundane stuff like ability scores speeding up farm work or killing more enemies in battle, but also behaving autonomously by managing their lands according to their own personalities, intervening on your decisions, suggesting new actions, or getting pissed because you're too incompetent and marching on the enemy by themselves (and creating a diplomatic crisis for you). Eg:

my last game I started as a shitty clan with a bunch of incompentent officers and was having a tough time. But as soon as I recruited a couple good officers my clan started to see success: one guy was a "monk" (more of an art smuggler, I had to give him a precious treasure for him to join) with a "Networking" trait that allowed him to recruit candidates from far away lands, which resulted in my ranks growing with talented people in no time. The other dude was a ninja (yes a ninja LOL) that started to suggest advanced covert ops shit and poisoning other lords, spreading gossip to undo enemies alliances, exploding castle gates, etc. which made my life easier to take their lands.

One principle the game runs with - for good or bad - is that you as the daimyo/king has access to all types of activities on a basic level. Only officers with good skill can enable activities on advanced level , and even so upon their own suggestions or interventions. So the poison assassination cited above won't really show up on your "Covert Ops" menu. It's something I must wait an officer with the right trait ("Plots") to suggest on their own, or instigate by doing another thing and having him intervene and say "Wait! how about we do that instead?".

had written more but that's the gist of it, really. For fans of the period this series was always more historical than Shogun TW but lacked the gameplay. It seems this time they matched that.
Okay so a unique but somewhat basic implementation of delegation and specialization. Awesome.

Silva

Arcane
Yep, but notice the other aspects are all around decent too, diplo, war, AI, etc.

The AI is particularly ruthless while also playing (apparently) fair and in-character, so no artificial bullshit here like we see in Civs where Gandhi comes out of nowhere with an horde just because you're leading the game. It's "diplomatic tapestry" feels organic, with neighboring clans becoming more friendly or wary depending on your actions (sometimes getting powerful makes neighbors friendlier out of fear/respect). There's a "negotiation table" feature where you have a private meeting with other daimyo or officers and they ask/value things differently according to their background, so a more greed enemy will ask for money while a religious one will ask for old relics and such, etc. The leaders with personality gives it a Sid Meier Alpha Centauri feeling too. (The Brazilian Slaughter , take a look)

But take everything here with a grain of salt as I'm clearly enamorated with the game lol. I hope my impression is confirmed after the honeymoon.

Thorakitai

Learned
Yep, but notice the other aspects are all around decent too, diplo, war, AI, etc.

The AI is particularly ruthless while also playing (apparently) fair and in-character, so no artificial bullshit here like we see in Civs where Gandhi comes out of nowhere with an horde just because you're leading the game. It's "diplomatic tapestry" feels organic, with neighboring clans becoming more friendly or wary depending on your actions (sometimes getting powerful makes neighbors friendlier out of fear/respect). There's a "negotiation table" feature where you have a private meeting with other daimyo or officers and they ask/value things differently according to their background, so a more greed enemy will ask for money while a religious one will ask for old relics and such, etc. The leaders with personality gives it a Sid Meier Alpha Centauri feeling too. (The Brazilian Slaughter , take a look)

But take everything here with a grain of salt as I'm clearly enamorated with the game lol. I hope my impression is confirmed after the honeymoon.
Given how both sides of world agree that Awakening is definitely an improvement, I'd say this why Koei remains redeemable despite their problems.

Compare that to how Creative Assembly and Paradox are at their absolute lows despite immense potential to be even more. Total War still uses the same aging Warscape engine for their games while Paradox gives you a barebones game at launch and forces you to buy DLC for the rest of it's lifespan just to give you gameplay mechanics that should have been from the very beginning.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Well I'll be very interested in the reviews and sales numbers for a game like this.

I vaguely knew about and maybe even played one of the games years ago, maybe a rottk one.

Silva

Arcane
Something interesting the AI pulled out on me:

I was this small fish caught between two superpowers, but my forces were relevant enough to tip the scales toward the one I was allied with (the one to the north). So the superpower to the south attacks me with all his armies, doing so while my ally to the north is weakened after some recent battles. Without the help from "big daddy" and facing the possiblity of a game over screen I try negotiating for a truce, which my enemy accepts on the condition I dissolve my alliance with the north superpower.

Tl;DR: the AI tried to decimate a small fish (me) but pivoted around taking an opportunity that showed up against a stronger rival. Pretty interesting.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
OST is not bad. EDIT: damn, the track at 21:16

:shredder:

Looks like Japanese Lenin:
1690221637740.png

Silva

Arcane
Okay, after ~30h some rough edges are showing up.

1 - Why da fuck delegation options are locked behind techs? I mean, the game whole premise is about delegation so let me assign city plans for my officers from the start. Do not force me to make it manually until unlocking some tech. Okay, the tech is the cheapest and is supposed to be unlocked immediately but still... feels like a "tutorial" inside a strategy game which is weird as fuck.

2 - Why da fuck am I forced to manually play siege battles when every other battle I can delegate to the AI? Why break the game's own underlying logic like that?

It's minor stuff and game is still good. But those design decisions are so weird. I'm starting to believe japanese pussies are horizontal after that.

Ladonna

Arcane
I didn't know KOEI still existed. I played NA 1 and 2, RotTK 2 and 3, Ghengis Khan 1 and 2 (or was it 3 released in the west? Clan of the Grey Wolf it was called), Bandit Kings of Ancient China, some Napoleon game, and a WW2 game with different operations. I thought the company died years ago as I hadn't seen anything released on PC since forever.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't know KOEI still existed. I played NA 1 and 2, RotTK 2 and 3, Ghengis Khan 1 and 2 (or was it 3 released in the west? Clan of the Grey Wolf it was called), Bandit Kings of Ancient China, some Napoleon game, and a WW2 game with different operations. I thought the company died years ago as I hadn't seen anything released on PC since forever.

During PS1 era they stopped altogether releasing their game in English for PC. Mainly it was only ROTK but ROTK almost hadevery single entry released in English from 4 - 12 in Playstation. No PUL.

Koei Tecmo is still big, they released/published a lot of action and JRPG related games outside of their strategy series. Musou/Warriors series for one. NiOh and some JRPGs are also published by them

Ladonna

Arcane

During PS1 era they stopped altogether releasing their game in English for PC. Mainly it was only ROTK but ROTK almost hadevery single entry released in English from 4 - 12 in Playstation. No PUL.

Koei Tecmo is still big, they released/published a lot of action and JRPG related games outside of their strategy series. Musou/Warriors series for one. NiOh and some JRPGs are also published by them

That answers it then; they went to console.

I still have some of the old boxes here, along with the big manuals. The games came with a bit of rice paper, with some blurb thanking the player, signed by Kou Shibusawa. Seemed like a nice touch.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Silva I know you mentioned this is like a mix of HoI and CK, but what about the role play aspect? Do you also get to manage you dynasty like in CK or is it more simplified? Can you start as a vassal?

Silva

Arcane
Game has an interesting end-game condition. Once you conquer the region you started (there are 8 in total) you can stop there and trigger the short endgame. But you can continue playing if you want and go for the long game, where you must conquer half of Japan's territories plus the capital. Interestingly, if you keep playing, all the relations of the other clans are changed based on you conquering your starting region, meaning half the clans getting respectful while the other half getting envy and hostile. Still don't know which factor dictates which is which, though.

Silva I know you mentioned this is like a mix of HoI and CK, but what about the role play aspect? Do you also get to manage you dynasty like in CK or is it more simplified? Can you start as a vassal?
Game has a good roleplaying factor, but it's more simple/less sophisticated than CK. You can only be a ruler/daimyo and while you must mind your succession on the risk of losing allies and retainers defecting (sometimes with your lands), it's a simple affair of marrying and having children to produce successors, and then choosing which one will be the new ruler later. There are marriages between rulers but those serve as "lifelong alliances" and not really strategies to take others' lands.

On the other hand, I feel like your retinue is more "alive" than in CK, as they frequently make suggestions or interventions of their own, according to their traits and personalities. And those are not always good either, sometimes they will suggest bad actions too. And sometimes another officer will jump at those and propose yet another course of action, forcing you to choose between both or none - officers gain "honor" when their suggestions are picked, which lets them climb the clan rank ladder and open positions like overseers, etc. That means you may even favor the worse suggestion sometimes only to help a promising officer to climb the ranks faster. Here, the Council screen..

system_15_02_thum.jpg

The most interesting feature from a roleplaying POV is probably the Direct talks screen, where you can call officers and others (or be called by them) to negatiate various aspects, and they behave according to their personalities and goals.

system_11_01.jpg

Ultimately though, what makes CK so fun in the roleplaying department is it's storytelling potential with lots of doings from people around you affecting each other in crazy and unexpected ways, making awesome stories to tell. And no, this game doesn't really have that. Most of the time your officers actions pertain to the strategical sphere, and not really personal drama shit like getting cuckolded by your brother out of nowehere lol. The AI in Awakening do show indiviuality and personality, but more in a Sid Meier Alpha Centauri kind of way.

On another note, I just found this retainer called "Keiji Maeda" who was supposedly unruly and mannerless in real life. In the game he has a trait called "Eccentric" that gives him (hear that) a big boost to attack as long as you let him do whatever he pleases on the battlefield/let his AI control him. Found this an interesting dynamic.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Game has an interesting end-game condition. Once you conquer the region you started (there are 8 in total) you can stop there and trigger the short endgame. But you can continue playing if you want and go for the long game, where you must conquer half of Japan's territories plus the capital. Interestingly, if you keep playing, all the relations of the other clans are changed based on you conquering your starting region, meaning half the clans getting respectful while the other half getting envy and hostile. Still don't know which factor dictates which is which, though.

Game has a good roleplaying factor, but it's more simple/less sophisticated than CK. You can only be a ruler/daimyo and while you must mind your succession on the risk of losing allies and retainers defecting (sometimes with your lands), it's a simple affair of marrying and having children to produce successors, and then choosing which one will be the new ruler later. There are marriages between rulers but those serve as "lifelong alliances" and not really strategies to take others' lands.

On the other hand, I feel like your retinue is more "alive" than in CK, as they frequently make suggestions or interventions of their own, according to their traits and personalities. And those are not always good either, sometimes they will suggest bad actions too. And sometimes another officer will jump at those and propose yet another course of action, forcing you to choose between both or none - officers gain "honor" when their suggestions are picked, which lets them climb the clan rank ladder and open positions like overseers, etc. That means you may even favor the worse suggestion sometimes only to help a promising officer to climb the ranks faster. Here, the Council screen..

system_15_02_thum.jpg

The most interesting feature from a roleplaying POV is probably the Direct talks screen, where you can call officers and others (or be called by them) to negatiate various aspects, and they behave according to their personalities and goals.

system_11_01.jpg

Ultimately though, what makes CK so fun in the roleplaying department is it's storytelling potential with lots of doings from people around you affecting each other in crazy and unexpected ways, making awesome stories to tell. And no, this game doesn't really have that. Most of the time your officers actions pertain to the strategical sphere, and not really personal drama shit like getting cuckolded by your brother out of nowehere lol. The AI in Awakening do show indiviuality and personality, but more in a Sid Meier Alpha Centauri kind of way.

On another note, I just found this retainer called "Keiji Maeda" who was supposedly unruly and mannerless in real life. In the game he has a trait called "Eccentric" that gives him (hear that) a big boost to attack as long as you let him do whatever he pleases on the battlefield. Found this an interesting dynamic.
Some of this is quite similar to my work, as far as the NPCs suggesting stuff to you and initiating interactions. Interesting to see it in a released game, even in simplified form. Might have to buy this and see if there are any big annoyances.

Silva

Arcane
annoyances
There are. I was just writing this...

After one full playthrough and a couple unfinished ones, I start to see some rough edges that detract from the experience quite a bit, which I hope KOEI fix so game reaches all the potential it shows. Feel free to discuss these points or add new ones as you see fit. IMHO:

1. UI / Controls is the BIG problem, both from usability and visibility standpoints. There should be less clicks per function, less obtrusive UI, and more automating functions overall. Makes the experience feel more taxing than it should. I could see a new player not enamorated to the game's good parts finding the experience a "chore" and dropping it altogether because of this.

2. The "AI not making alliances" in sandbox/non-historical mode. May be a situational bug, still checking, but may also mean a deeper flaw in game code where the AI only do pre-scripted alliances and can't really think on their own. A potentially BIG problem if not addressed. (in historical mode it's not a problem)

3. Various "rough edges" that make the design messy or less fun overall: a. "Reinforce" diplo option feels SUPER cheap as it makes allies single-handedly conquer castles and gift them to you; they should, at the very least, trigger a Direct Talk screen to ask for compensation (gold, treasures, fiefs) when their armies were the bigger party at the time of conquest; b. Having to manually do Sieges Battles everytime the enemy is on "defense mode" feels repetitive in the long term, besides breaking a basic game premise that is: you only participate/manually do battles you/the daimyo is phisically nearby. If you establish a sim-based rule don't break it just because; c. "Legions" mechanics are inconsistent. I know different Regents have different priorities based on their personality, but it's still not ideal. E.g: sometimes even an aggressive Regent stays idle too long. For such an important part of the design (it's about delegation this time, right?), and considering a ruthless AI that capitalizes every opening, this should be a more well-oiled aspect. If I need to delegate half my army to a Julio Ceasar I don't want to see him sitting in Galicia fucking celtic chicks and drinking wine when I designated Judea his target damn it.

TL;DR: they got a solid core here but the rough edges make it kinda of a mess. The right updates could make it a great game, but KOEI post-release history has been inconsistent (opposite of Paradox that deliver shitty cores and try to lapidate the dung... coff coff Imperator and Vic3 coff). Could be worth full price once problems are solved, but in current state wait for a sale.

7.5 / 10

(potential 9.0 with updates)

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I'm actually working on the "campaign planning" code in my game right now, and it deals with a ton of stuff under point 3.

Depending on your military traditions things vary but you generally come up with something you want to do, engage in discussions with the vassals/allies you want to bring to get them to come to a war council type thing, then all the Characters debate back and forth about goals and strategies and who reaps the rewards of success, and you can barter stuff like joining an ally's offensive war after you win or trade lands and titles or just raw cash or w/e.

Then you plan out an avenue of attack, as it is turn based, as far as which provinces to go to first and who is responsible for what, and gathering supplies and setting up supply lines. Then as you achieve various goals you'll gather again to modify the plan depending on what happens and maybe add new stuff if things are going really well, and such. There's a separate Battle Planning mechanic which is sort of similar on a smaller scale.

So everyone will have assigned tasks which were publically agreed on, though you can do sneaky secret agreements too, and both the troops, lower level leaders, and the peers who were actually involved in the war council will expect the others to do their job and react to deviations.

Definitely one of the advantages of turn based games is you can do more involved diplomacy and politics and of course you don't have to awkwardly "pause" like with a real time game while you do the complex stuff.

The more detailed explanation is on my blog as linked in the Axioms thread but obviously don't expect most people to read it. But it was interesting to see this game release and have some similar mechanics, as compared to 4x or grand strategy games, exactly at the time I was writing the code for Campaigns/Planning.

Silva

Arcane
Some interesting things the game does that I don't remember seeing much elsewhere:

- Layered AI levels within the same game. Each officer has an innate "AI grade" that goes from D to S, and dictates their behavior once they reach daimyo status. I don't know exactly how that works: either that dictates AI actual behavior making it smarter, or is only a cheating/buffs thing. If it's the former, it's something I don't remember seeing much in games if at all.

- "Shit your pants" system. When you win decisive battles (= against stronger or more prestigious force), the story of it ripples through the lands affecting dynamically everything around, sometimes making neighbouring castles defect to your side immediately, other making them tremble/their troops paralysed, others enacting peasant revolts in their fiefs, and lastly making other daimyo more respectful or envy of you (changing their relations and how easy/hard it is to make deals/alliances).

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Some interesting things the game does that I don't remember seeing much elsewhere:

- Layered AI levels within the same game. Each officer has an innate "AI grade" that goes from D to S, and dictates their behavior once they reach daimyo status. I don't know exactly how that works: either that dictates AI actual behavior making it smarter, or is only a cheating/buffs thing. If it's the former, it's something I don't remember seeing much in games if at all.

- "Shit your pants" system. When you win decisive battles (= against stronger or more prestigious force), the story of it ripples through the lands affecting dynamically everything around, sometimes making neighbouring castles defect to your side immediately, other making them tremble/their troops paralysed, others enacting peasant revolts in their fiefs, and lastly making other daimyo more respectful or envy of you (changing their relations and how easy/hard it is to make deals/alliances).
EU4 actually kinda does this, and the CK series a small bit, but generally yes it is pretty uncommon, and def a good feature. Star Dynasties actually has somewhat similar stuff as well.

Silva

Arcane
Update with Japanese voice option is expected to hit PC tomorrow. Consoles next week.

And the community found a grave bug - the AI doesn't make alliances past the scripted/historical ones. Meaning after a certain point in the game the AI goes "every clan by itself", making the endgame pretty dull. Devs still haven't commented on it. Hope they fix it.

Actually giving me hope that the next ROTK gonna be good goddamn
Didn't like the recent RTK?

I've played 14 a little and found it okay. Never tried RTK13 though because the feedback was super negative at the time. I wonder if it's worth giving it a chance after all updates/dlcs.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
New update coming September 19th. Lots of QoL improvements that have been asked by players. Koei seems to be hearing the fans after all.

And a pretty good review left on Steam (by user Grand Historian). Helpful for people to make a good idea of the game's weak and strong points:

Nobunaga's Ambition: Awakening is a difficult game to judge since it is the embodiment of the best and worst of Koei design philosophy. It's an attempt to reimagine the fundamentals of a forty-year old series while also serving as its culmination; for better or worse, Koei really loves trying to reinvent the wheel. Most of the series fundamentals are still here in recognizable forms, but everything must operate within the new emphases on automation and restricting agency, which I feel severely holds back the game even as it addresses a number of long-running problems.

For those who are not familiar with Nobunaga's Ambition, it is a grand strategy series set in Sengoku Japan. Unlike most western grand strategy games, the series has traditionally had a strong emphasis on personnel management, with those personnel being historical characters existing in a historical context; many entries in it have also allowed for player management of tactical battles and employed a city-builder inspired system for economic development, which overall gives NA a very distinctive character that defies easy explanation beyond saying that, no, it is not like TW: Shogun 2. To parse out what stands out in particular to me:

Good:
Personnel Management is fully fleshed out and rewarding. After being hollowed out in most of the entries of the last decade, Awakening puts its best foot forwards on one of the series' flagship mechanics by making managing your personnel require actual management again. Loyalty is something that has to be actively monitored, retainers will not unilaterally join your clan after destroying theirs and may not even want to work under you depending on a number of factors (including whether they personally like your daimyo), personnel have an actual hierarchy within your clan that determines what positions they can be assigned, how and what officers you assign where will dramatically affect the policies and strategies available to you, they may be given rewards and commendations that improve certain attributes, and personnel can be assigned actual fiefs instead of existing ephemerally within a castle. There is also a new system called direct talks, using the negotiation mechanic of diplomacy, where you will be able to negotiate directly with your and other clan's retainers over a number of possible issues. Overall it's some of the best personnel management in a Koei game.

Diplomacy is also one of the series' better iterations. While Sphere of Influence's Coalitions are sadly missing, its trust system and the ability to broker different actions with it are still around, while it also reintroduces actual negotiation from Iron Triangle (e.g. truces and tribute can be brokered in terms of exchanging gold, castles, treasures, etc. instead of just trust). Being the Shogunate gives access to a few more diplomatic options that make it feel like you are actually playing as the Shogun for the first time in a NA game, while Prestige - a new mechanic reflecting your clan's standing and can be influenced partly by negotiating titles with the Imperial Court - also adds a new dimension to diplomacy where clans may respect or scorn you depending on your relative Prestige. Again, solid.

Policies are brought back from Sphere of Influence but take a few cues from Iron Triangle's technologies. They no longer have downsides beyond the gold upkeep, but must be researched over time by officers and have their effects unlocked/improved in tiers and will always be active once researched (unless you bankrupt). Requirements for unlocking them may also be dependent on what is physically available to your clan (e.g. no mining policies if you have no gold mines) and what officers you have in your council. The only criticism I have is that they do not interact more with personnel management.

Espionage has also been brought back as a proper dimension after being neglected for many years. You can once again raze castles, sabotage supply lines, assassinate/wound enemy officers, incite riots, disrupt alliances and much more in addition to the usual arranging of defections. While the system is hindered by many of the most impressive actions being locked behind officer suggestions - perhaps understandably, but this will become a theme - it's still a welcome return to form.

Tactical Battles have strategic consequences. Many grand strategy games divorce the outcomes of their battles from any immediate consequences beyond the material losses of the troops involved. Awakening, however, has a system called Authority, where if a battle is large enough its consequences will spill over into the political sphere. If you defeat tens of thousands of enemy soldiers in a single battle or capture an important defensive base, the officers of that enemy clan will lose loyalty and some may reach out to you to defect, as will nearby castles and counties, and you will gain prestige and the respect of nearby clans (and you can be on the losing side of this). This is an excellent simulation of the realities of feudal warfare, a way to more dynamically allow smaller clans to defeat larger ones, and a welcome way to mitigate grinding (albeit at the cost of worse snowballing).

Historical Content is often a draw for people who play these games, and Koei went all in on dramatizing the setting. There are more events, and even fictional events, here than in any other NA game. Even better, you can individually toggle which events will activate in your game, and see all of an event's triggers in advance. The only downside is that there are so many events that where something should have been fleshed out more is glaring. Good examples are Nagashino and Mimikawa, two major battles with tens of thousands of combatants resulting in the deaths of dozens of important figures to the setting. Nagashino has no fictional outcome for the Takeda, being an Oda-Tokugawa event battle only (the Takeda had a version in Sphere of Influence), while Mimikawa is not even an event battle, just an event, and results in no one dying. On the other end, however, you have Sekigahara, which has multiple branching outcomes for both sides that will have massive ramifications on the world map - I'd say it's a must-play for anyone interested in the setting.

Customizable Difficultly has been a staple of NA, and has made a return after Taishi left it out. There's far more customization here than just predetermined difficulty settings; every aspect of the game mechanics, and how the AI and Player are effected by them, can be adjusted individually. So if you want a custom difficultly where the AI is as competent as possible but not too aggressive and both you and the ai recover soldiers slower but the ai gets more gold, that is entirely possible.

Editors are another staple of NA and are fully present here as well. Custom officers, historical officers, ingame editors, etc.

Graphics are not something I'd typically comment on in a strategy game, but since Awakening's predecessor, Taishi was a noticeable downgrade from its five year predecessor, Sphere of Influence, I am happy to say that Awakening at least looks like a graphical update over SoI.

Mixed:
Warfare is an unhappy marriage of Taishi and Sphere of Influence's systems. Roads from SoI have returned, but the county system that forms the basis of the map is an evolution of Taishi's - so while it allows the strategic maneuvering of the former and the army assembly of the latter, does not do either as well. This extends to the tactical field. The battlefield is more involved than before, with chokepoints and points of interest scattered across every battle map, but movement is along predetermined paths - meaning that while the battles are more tactical and resolve the total lack of an OOB that SoI/Taishi suffered from, it also reduces player interactivity. The actual mechanics of the battles are all more solid than past entries - units now have stamina, meaning they will perform worse as they continue to actively fight, smaller armies can handle large ones through careful use of terrain and flanking, and the enemy can be forced to retreat through reducing their morale instead of totally destroying their army. It's nothing as dynamic or involved as TW: Shogun 2, but if you can tolerate the predetermined movement paths it is a noticeable upgrade from SoI in terms of actual investment.

Siege Battles are also present, and can be both fun and incredibly frustrating. They can be very fun as a defender because, for a number of factors, they are lopsided in their favor, and are frustrating as an attacker for that same reason. Unlike field battles, siege battles do have a timer, with the attacker's morale (based on their army's supply) decreasing the longer a siege battle drags on (it can be increased by destroying points in the castle/defending regiments). The saving grace for this is that castles can be weakened in advance through espionage and only specifically designated defensive bases require a dedicated siege battle to capture. Every castle also has a different map and units will approach the castle tactically from their position on the strategic map, so at the very least most maps will present different avenues of attack.

Counties are a continuation of Taishi's tile system, but are actually requiring some attention. You can give them out to officers, they each have separate economic values and potentials, many counties host a unique improvement that can be built (ports, temples, churches, stables, forge towns, gold mines, etc.) and some even hold a landmark, which is a unique, tiered and powerful improvement that provides a global bonus once invested in. Roads run through counties, meaning that they may also be captured by armies on their way to attack a castle. The criticism I have of this system is that it is the most indepth part of the game's civil system rather than being a backdrop to castle development, which is frankly tragic since, while serviceable, it has very little strategy or choice to it.

Personnel AI is thankfully pretty competent in a game that requires you to rely on it. Officers will suggest appropriate and useful actions corresponding to where they are and the goals you have assigned, is capable of competently managing the economic development based on your proscribed plans, and province ai (provinces being groups of castles and personnel you have put under the control of a single AI officer). The obvious criticism is that the game requires you to rely on this to begin with, and that many of the more powerful actions are locked behind officer suggestion.

Bad:
GUI in strategy games have been deteriorating as everything becomes more 'streamlined', and Awakening is no exception: this is probably the worst GUI in a NA game. This is owing to a mixture of clearly being designed with console controls in mind and information often being obfuscated. NA titles have typically been very good at designing a GUI that is just as accessible to PC and Console players and that gives you all the information you want with minimal hassle, but that is not the case here. It's not an unworkable GUI, but there is a lot more clicking and even someone like me who doesn't typically care about GUI design noticed it.

Civil mechanics are also at their worst yet, which I would consider an accomplishment after the low that was Taishi. In Taishi the total lack of any economic development for your castles and any real strategy for the countryside was somewhat offset by agriculture and markets being separate mechanics requiring some opportunity costs and player investment, but Awakening cannot even boast that. Castles are economic centers again, but rather than requiring any city-building that rewards creativity, investment or interactivity it's little better than a Paradox game where you just slap a building into an ephemeral slot and watch a number increase (however it can't even do this well since Paradox games at least give you a lot of different numbers to work with). City-building has been the biggest casualty of Koei's efforts to reinvent the wheel; SoI, Tendou, Iron Triangle and Rise to Power all had excellent city-building mechanics that were distinct from one another but still rewarded player involvement and offered massive variation depending on location and playstyle, and this just doesn't. Because of how siege battles work you can't even customize/upgrade castles, which is something that even Taishi had in a very barebones format and is a staple of the series. There is not even a happiness system, which is especially odd given the game has made rioting a threat again.

AI Diplomacy is also awful in Awakening. Not because the AI is irrational or won't negotiate with the human, but because the devs appear to have made the conscious design decision to prevent the AI from forming dynamic alliances. This is a beyond baffling decision - the AI dynamically forming alliances has been a feature of every NA game and it has actually been very good at arranging them to counterbalance the player and other AIs. In Awakening however the AI will only make/renew alliances with clans it is scripted to during historical timeframes (and the player) and with no coalition mechanic, it is easier than ever for the human to cheese the diplomacy. The AI will dynamically vassalize clans, but clans can only be vassalized if they have no existing diplomatic relations, meaning some AIs (such as the Mori) will block their own expansion because they are scripted to keep allying the same clans over again when, in SoI for example, they would have vassalized or conquered them and moved on.

Restricting Player Agency has been the theme of this game, and while it is tolerable since the AI is actually competent, it's not something I want to continue - I want to play a game, not have the game play itself for me. NA as a series has had a l impressive history of offering multiple tools to the player to delegate issues to the AI to help reduce micro, but these were either always optional, or could be ajusted by game settings and mechanics - here it is mandatory. An excellent example is provinces and castle management. In SoI, you could only directly manage the development of castles that were within range of your main base. However, you could still directly manage a core territory, and the range of this core could be affected by policies, roads, relocating your main base, and even turned off altogether by difficulty settings; it was variable and optional. In Awakening you can only directly manage the development of counties at your main base, and the development of castles within your province, after which you have to leave it up to AI provinces. Battles suffer similarly; officer tactics traditionally have been triggered at the player's initiative, but here officers will automatically activate their own tactics when ready and will automatically assign themselves objectives on the battlefield after completing one (at the very least you can easily give them new orders). All of this would be tolerable if this game had a dedicated officer play/feudal system, but it does not, which brings me to the final point.

Reinventing the Wheel is something Koei likes doing with these games, and often it just means that interesting systems are never fully developed or built upon between iterations for the sake of giving each game a unique spin. This is particularly tragic with Awakening, as the county system, personnel management, increased emphasis on espionage and even the battle system feel like they would have fit in perfectly with SoI:Ascension's half-baked officer play, and if Awakening brought that and proper city-building I could overlook having my agency greatly restricted for the sake of a better feudalism simulation. That is unfortunately not the case, and the result is that while Awakening does not feel unfinished, it does feel incomplete.

Summary:
I would give NA:Awakening a cautious recommendation. The thing ultimately tipping this review in its favor would be that Awakening, like SoI, comes with the PuK (the single, massive expansion pack that Koei always does for these games) by default for the localized version. If you are a big fan of the setting or interested in a game based around personnel management, I can recommend this game. If you are interested in trying NA but are put off by previous games being too mechanically imposing, this is also a good place to start. If you are a long-time fan, I would suggest waiting for a sale, but say that the game is still worth your time.

Silva

Arcane
On their main page they comment something about not having the manpower for ROTK15 at this time due to the continuous development of NA16, so they're going with the RotK8 remake instead.

Makes me wonder if there are more Awakening stuff on the pipeline.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom