Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobunigga's Ambition Awakening - Grorious dispray myrord!

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am really tempted to buy this dammit

Silva

Arcane
Anybody giving this a try coming from Sphere of Influence: it's a couple notches more on the wargame side of the scale than to the grand strategy side, if that makes sense. Less domestics/production management and more warfare tactics and strategizing. I say this cause I see some negative steam reviews from fans of SoI. They're missing the point IMO, as the two games have different focus.

Actually giving me hope that the next ROTK gonna be good goddamn
According to KOEI, there isn't enough workforce for ROTK 15 at this time, as they prefer to polish Awakening for some time more.

With the reduced manpower, they'll make a ROTK 8 remake instead, to be released early 2024. Great news for me as I love it.

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Ah fun, I had reviewed the first one (1983 !) of the series a while ago, if you are interested. Note that it the Western Nobunaga's Ambition 1 is actually Nobunaga's Ambition 2 for Koei. Below is the real first one.

https://zeitgame.net/archives/6148

I even translated most of the screenshots :

1.-Start2-1024x641.jpg

Silva

Arcane
Just realized the way Awakening uses imperial titles is similar to Pdox's casus belli - a political justification to snatch others' territories while still looking legitimate (more or less). From a quick google search, it seems imperial titles in the sengoku period were saught after by daimyo to be used as political justification to assert dominance over neighbours, and thus expand their territories. A casus belli. The difference is that, mechanically Pdox punishes you for lacking it (with diplo and stability penalties), while KOEI buffs you for having it (by applying the "atrophy" effect on title-less neighbours).

Neat, huh?

Ah fun, I had reviewed the first one (1983 !) of the series a while ago, if you are interested. Note that it the Western Nobunaga's Ambition 1 is actually Nobunaga's Ambition 2 for Koei. Below is the real first one.

https://zeitgame.net/archives/6148

I even translated most of the screenshots :

1.-Start2-1024x641.jpg
Nice review and historical tidbits. So it's a shit game afterall but so innovative for it's time it practically inaugurated the grand strategy genre.

Have you reviewed more recent games in the series? It would be interesting seeing how far it went from such humble starts, in your perception. I suspect they became actual good games in time. If you can, review the 90s era ones like Genghis Khan and Lord of Darkness.

Also, if possible, contrast their design philosophies with the western trend setters like Civilization 1, Master of Magic, etc. Would love to see such comparison from people who knows both schools.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
New update is out: https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/nobunaga/awakening/update/

Besides the new clan policies (listed below, thanks to steam user MuTaTeDtReE), there was also tweaks to existing ones, tweaks to conservator traits (I think the golden ones' maluses were reduced), council members reappointed as part of Discretionary Power policy, and the so waited AI diplo fix.

New policies:

- Way of the Amago - Increase castle abilities in countries where all castles are governed/increase unit attack+defense depending how many Titles owned

- Way of the Miyoshi - When kin is castle lord, castle abilities increased/if a kin is regent, that province's castles abilities increases

- Way of the Nanbu - Longer agitation cooldown for your enemy

- Way of the Ryuuzouji - Attack increases depending on how many castles your targeted enemy clan has the agitated status

- Way of the Saitou - Treasure buying discount/When treasures are out of stock, there will be new ones available to buy next month/increases commerce for countries with all settlements seized

- Way of the Namioka - Unit marching speed increased.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom