Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial No Trannies Allowed

CrimHead

Scholar
Jason said:
Making the transgender character be a super mutant is not at all subtle. It paints an image of transwomen as brutish, ugly freaks who you can spot a mile off. You can put a pig in lipstick, but it’s still a a pig. Or a super mutant. Or a man.

Then, just for good measure, because apparently they weren’t insulting enough already, the character is a crazed villain. Who you get to kill. Fantastic.

So to summarise, it seems like Obsidian have put a transgender character into their game to shock and/or amuse people at how brutish, ugly and unconvincing she is, and then allow the player the triumph of shooting her.

Butthurt detected.

Texas Red

Whiner
Read your bible. Stealth Boy side effects on the BoS was a storyline in Van Buren. Who gives a dick if someone called it a drug?

In an effort to end the war once and for all, the Brotherhood began to use newly discovered subversive technology known as Stealth Boys. These devices could create a field of gravitic energy that would bend visible light waves around the user, thus making him virtually invisible to sight. This allowed Brotherhood operatives to penetrate deep into NCR territory for the gathering of intelligence. However, it was soon discovered that the devices had severe side effects on human cerebral tissue. Paranoia, delusions, and eventual schizophrenia were the major symptoms. The Brotherhood disallowed the use of Stealth Boys and once again fell behind in their war effort.

At the present time the Brotherhood of Steel is facing yet another major problem. The side effects of the Stealth Boys were not discovered until the team using them had already begun to feel their deleterious effect. When the team was disbanded, paranoia over the reason for the end of their mission began to set in and the team plotted against their leaders. They stole the Stealth Boys, fled the bunker as deserters, and formed a covert paramilitary group known as the Circle of Steel. The goal of the Circle of Steel is to recover lost technology and rebuild the glory of the Brotherhood in the Core Region--at any cost.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Gerrard said:
To be honest, super mutant tranny sounds like something you'd find in "RPG Codex: The Forum: The Game".

Kinda proves that Obsidian devs read the Codex and catered to us.

Murk

Arcane
pretty sure this is more a case of "big buff bastard gets hit in head, thinks he's a pretty little lady" than some kind of calculated assault on transgendered people

err, i mean, WELL, I NEVER

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
TNO said:
Actually, fairly sure that was in the Lore in the first game. The muties who used stealth boys (Nightkin) get deranged.

No. That's from Van Buren.

Clockwork Knight said:
There are stealth boys in FO3, and they aren't drugs, just a regular equipment. Who's the Bethesda guy in the first post? Sounds like a PR guy called for damage control who was told "stealth boys make you deranged, use that as an excuse" and thought it was a drug.

Matt Grandstaff. Bethesda's community meatshield. Inglorious job. But the quote is from "team members" (which could mean Bethesda's producers, not Obsidian's developers, dunno).

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
CrimHead said:
Jason said:
Making the transgender character be a super mutant is not at all subtle. It paints an image of transwomen as brutish, ugly freaks who you can spot a mile off. You can put a pig in lipstick, but it’s still a a pig. Or a super mutant. Or a man.

Then, just for good measure, because apparently they weren’t insulting enough already, the character is a crazed villain. Who you get to kill. Fantastic.

So to summarise, it seems like Obsidian have put a transgender character into their game to shock and/or amuse people at how brutish, ugly and unconvincing she is, and then allow the player the triumph of shooting her.

Butthurt detected.

No shit.

Did you know that transphobia is an actual term? What's next, accepting pedophiles? The occident value system is seriously fuck up man. Are we supposed to accept there is such a thing as discrimination agaisnt people who have mental problems now? The mental problems become a personality quirk, right? Sure, I can run with that, as an individual, I don't care. But socially, this isn't making any sense. I can't even start to think where this need for no one to be offended comes from. Democracy, general relativism? A culture can't fucking run on the elimination of discrimination, discrimination is what makes morals and meaning. When you use a word, you discriminate, because you try to create sense. If I use the word "faggot", I don't mean a table, I mean a fucking faggot. The next step is having everyone use any word in any way they like, that's only logical. Fuck it. Mark my words, when we'll be old the new generation will have values so fucked up it'll be just like our grand-parents being outraged by us having casual sex and doing drugs etc.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Serious_Business said:
No shit.

Did you know that transphobia is an actual term? What's next, accepting pedophiles? The occident value system is seriously fuck up man. Are we supposed to accept there is such a thing as discrimination agaisnt people who have mental problems now? The mental problems become a personality quirk, right? Sure, I can run with that, as an individual, I don't care. But socially, this isn't making any sense. I can't even start to think where this need for no one to be offended comes from. Democracy, general relativism? A culture can't fucking run on the elimination of discrimination, discrimination is what makes morals and meaning. When you use a word, you discriminate, because you try to create sense. If I use the word "faggot", I don't mean a table, I mean a fucking faggot. The next step is having everyone use any word in any way they like, that's only logical. Fuck it. Mark my words, when we'll be old the new generation will have values so fucked up it'll be just like our grand-parents being outraged by us having casual sex and doing drugs etc.

AMEN BROTHER!!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I agree! If you oversimplify a complex situation it's really easy to have a very opinionated one-sided view! Rah rah, this is great!

-Pavlos-

Novice
Sovard said:
Got my hopes up... I thought it was a romance. :x

Anyway, they're trying to turn something for "teh lulz" in a videogame into some sort of statement. Not everything needs to be analyzed like you're taking a humanities course. Sometimes shit is silly for the sake of being silly. And no, Frankenstein was not about a male trying to usurp the female's role in creation. Shut the fuck up.
It was so! Mary Shelley uses the word 'dilate' in her preface, thus we can draw the conclusion that it is about male pregnancy and birth.

Edit: Anyway, they haven't even played the game. For all they know, Ms. Tabitha could be an utterly pathetic character attempting to cling on to some semblance of humanity amidst all the change, destruction, and grey landscape. Just sayin'

PorkaMorka

Arcane
2dwfajo.jpg

Transphobic images are everywhere!

Phelot

Arcane
Female humans who undergo transformation into Super Mutants effectively lose any externally apparent biological sex characteristics associated with being female. I.e. they are indistinguishable from male humans who have undergone the same transformation. Arguably all Super Mutants are monogender even if they retain some vestigial biological sex characteristics since said characteristics no longer have any social or biological meaning in Super Mutant society — and because most of them lose all memory of their former lives. Tabitha wears a wig and glasses not because she is transgender, but because she has psychological identity problems that are rooted in her extensive use of Stealth Boys – a drug used in the universe of Fallout.

If this is true then why didn't the Master realize that every super mutant becomes "monogender"?

Didn't he specifically say he was going to check with his male super mutants when you confront him about the sterilization?

I don't even understand why Bethesda responded to something so retarded.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
He checks with the females and only if you do not have Vree's tape.

Anyway, Bethesda doing an asspull. What a surprise.

I'm not a big fan of the idea that oppressed groups or minorities should never be cast as villains - it tends to lead to tokenism where you have the perfect token black/gay/tranny who is too devoid of anything interesting to be at all memorable.

I also don't think that the character, from how it's been portrayed so far, is being put as a genuine transexual. If they were heaping scorn on the character feeling out of place in its body, that would be different. But the most obvious film analogy for this, to me, was Norman Bates in psycho - he doesn't dress as his mother because he identifies as a woman, he does so because of deep-routed psychological problems (specifically his combo of fear and hatred of his mother, and its flow-on effect to other women). Massively innaccurate in terms of how people or mental illness functions - it's basically Freudian psychology (and the presentation/explanation of the Tabitha character seems to be along those lines as well) which has been resoundingly rejected by pretty much everyone in psychology/psychiatry for the past 50 years at least. But not offensive, nor necessarily crap - Freudian cliches have become a common fictional trope. Of course that also makes it not particularly original/interesting either.

Phelot

Arcane
It seems like this character is just some dumb shit they put out to have a "OMG SO KEWL N FUNNY" screen shot.

Also, I never thought of "it" as being transgender or whatever and I doubt anyone else did as well. I just thought it was retarded

-Pavlos- said:
Sovard said:
Got my hopes up... I thought it was a romance. :x

Anyway, they're trying to turn something for "teh lulz" in a videogame into some sort of statement. Not everything needs to be analyzed like you're taking a humanities course. Sometimes shit is silly for the sake of being silly. And no, Frankenstein was not about a male trying to usurp the female's role in creation. Shut the fuck up.
It was so! Mary Shelley uses the word 'dilate' in her preface, thus we can draw the conclusion that it is about male pregnancy and birth.
'

In fairness, Shelley was very much the kind of author that considered herself and her work to be 'BIG ANALYSABLE LITERATURE'. She hung with a pretty bohemian crowd, all of them being major poets/authors/artists of the day (most famous being Lord Byron). In the context of her entire body of work, it's certainly arguable that Frankenstein IS the kind of text that invites 'humanities course' interpretation.

circ

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
2dwfajo.jpg

Transphobic images are everywhere!

I'd hit that. WITH A VENGEANCE!

Also, on Frankenstein. Story is about a guy who makes an artificial man. End of story. Bitch was after the movie rights, but hahahaha death got her first.

Murk

Arcane
Brother None said:
I agree! If you oversimplify a complex situation it's really easy to have a very opinionated one-sided view! Rah rah, this is great!

I must say, the new avatar + posting style is a rather nice and fitting combination.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
We should adopt their "Discussion Policy": http://borderhouseblog.com/?page_id=65

Here are my favorite parts:

Intersectionality

Intersectionality “holds that the classical models of oppression within society, such as those based on race/ethnicity, gender, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, class, species or disability do not act independently of one another: instead, these forms of oppression interrelate creating a system of oppression that reflects the ‘intersection’ of multiple forms of discrimination.” For example, a lesbian able-bodied black woman will face a different set of challenges as she negotiates her daily life than a trans gendered disabled white man. We strive to understand the ways in different types of oppression interrelate.

Privilege

Understanding privilege is fundamental to anti-oppression movements (like feminism, anti-racism, anti-homophobia, fat activism, disability activism, and the like)

Trigger Warnings

If you link to or discuss anything in your comment that involves sexual assault or violence towards women and other marginalized groups, which may distress or cause readers to be triggered, please place a trigger warning with the link or your comment.

.. and I thought I knew all liberal nonsense. "Intersectionality", "triggered", "fat activism".. Yet another reason why America should be nuked. All this hogwash is cooked up in American universities and from there it spreads, first to other Western countries and eventually all across the world.

Whatever, I love learning new terms so I gotta ask: Has anyone of you been intersectionally triggered lately? For example, have you been called a "fat bitch" during an act of fat activism?

:lol:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fat activism is a new term for me. I can't believe that being lazy is now a disability to be accepted across the board as a genetic deficit. I can understand ramps for disabled people or extra times in tests for them. But fat people getting pass because they are lazy to do anything about being fat?

1eyedking

Erudite
Modern society is so distorted it's funny.

Morality and art died with religion. We're heading for one bleak future.

roll-a-die

Magister
I was slapped for calling someone "gender queer" when I meant it in the literal sense(strange gendered). He flip flopped between whether she wanted to be a man or a woman I started to wonder whether he was really serious about being transgender.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom