Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
I watched a vid on YouTube. It didn't look terrible, but I'm not convinced that landing on random planets, looking at random dinosaurs then doing a spot of mining will have lasting appeal.

after years of yammering, after seas of words, all i can see is noctis 2.0, and being a sucker for anything with spaceships i wonder how can something this barebone could inspire any interest.
oh, well, gaming journos gonna gaming journos.

Lunac

Arcane
after years of yammering, after seas of words, all i can see is noctis 2.0, and being a sucker for anything with spaceships i wonder how can something this barebone could inspire any interest.
oh, well, gaming journos gonna gaming journos.

Noctis did it better, decade ago. The concept itself minus some procedural stuffs was better executed with Starflight 30 years ago, Sega Genesis, a console version of said game at that, 25 years ago being the ultimate achievement of this gaming niche.

for tl;dr crowd: this game is still decline and an obvious money grab by an autistic man child and his inner posse\cabal.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Star Control 2 was a very good exploration game also.

07.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I watched a vid on YouTube. It didn't look terrible, but I'm not convinced that landing on random planets, looking at random dinosaurs then doing a spot of mining will have lasting appeal.

You don't have to land at planets at all if you don't want to, remember it's a space game also.

Beastro

Arcane
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get how can you get scared from no-lifer gamers threatening you? I'd just go: yeah, whatever, fuck off idiot.

Some of them do take it to extremes, though. In 2011 I had some bloke continuously harass me in a gaming site's comments section and it was easy to shrug off and laugh about. Where it crossed the line is when I started getting anonymous emails to a private email address with pictures of my family taken off my Facebook page accompanied by messages about how they're going to cut their eyes out and stuff. I had to lock down all my and my family members' social media accounts. It was obviously some bored kid who took a joke too far so I was never overly concerned, but it was creepy nonetheless.

So I do get how people can get creeped out by it, but the problem is the signal to noise ratio is simply too high. You've got angry feminists on twitter actively courting these messages so they can turn around and claim it as their badge of honor in the cult of victimhood, meanwhile the actual creepy cases like mine probably make out 0.01% of the reports.

It's tied into trolling and what is a good level of it and what isn't.

You just be an everyday annoyance on a board that people find endearing, you're fine, but when you start the wheels within wheel crap making accounts months in advance for schemes and blurring shit so much people don't know what's real and what's not, then the joke is on the troll and it's just fucking sad someone would go to such extremes to mislead people for a laugh.

Balor

Arcane
Someone will mod in some Space Rangers 2 style elements and game will be hailed as greatest ever.

Add Star Control elements and it just might indeed become greatest ever.
But I guess it would be released just after DF 1.0, and hilariously buggy.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The difference is this is 2016 and the average 'gamer' has his head so far up his ass that he'll actually pretend to enjoy this and sing its praises.

Spore released 8 years too early, or else it too would have been hailed as a masterpiece.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Screenshots from a concert of the band that is making the soundtrack for the game.

jAcKsvU.jpg

Lu1d5KM.png

gUjJJxR.png

rS0y4Lp.png

35iBILH.png

TJt0dJF.png

Nr77Z0R.png

NnODCms.png

ClGSG8UWMAA2_nM.jpg

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Ok i'm pretty impressed after the new footage snipets even in this shitty quality.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
water towers
eclipse
mountain sized mountains

hhhhhhhhnnnnnngggggggggg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Some new info

They needed to find signature sounds for the game. They link unfamiliar sounds to familiar things, so you still will associate the sound with what you see.

The music is partly procedural and depends on what you are doing in the game. There are 3000 sections of music. It picks different tracks, like guitars, drums and so on and puts them together in the game. All that is controlled in real time. What the game picks is up to the moment in the game. There is also some traditional music played at key moments.

There is procedural audio in the game for one of the elements. Technically it solved a lot of problems They did something with it, but he's sure it will be the future. It's hard to implement. He's very happy that the game is almost finished. They've done there best. It will be very special, but even HG doesn't really know how it will be until we play it. He hopes people will like it, it wasn't a normal development.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The concept itself minus some procedural stuffs was better executed with Starflight 30 years ago, Sega Genesis, a console version of said game at that, 25 years ago being the ultimate achievement of this gaming niche.
The original DOS version was far superior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom