Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No Man's Sky

newtmonkey

Arcane
Played for 5 hours. First 30 minutes I was having a pretty good time, but then I realized shortly after that the first 30 minutes of the game is basically the entire game.
Can't even say it's a good concept/idea because there are games out there that do what this does and more. The only thing that makes NMS unique is how streamlined it is and its artistic direction, and neither of those are good qualities in this case.

2z3JtQ3.jpg

Thanks very much for posting this! I just got my refund after playing for 5 hours.
Selected "Not what I thought" for the reason and explained that the game is completely different from the trailers etc.

circ

Arcane
For the record I'll still buy it at $10

It's an neat concept for an indie game

1. "a neat concept"

2. How do you figure? It's basically a micromanaging sim is without the payoff. I hardly see how it's worth $10. Maybe $5.
What do you base this monetary value off? If you bought a $5 dollar cake that looked like a low-end $60 wedding cake but someone had left a dead rat in a cube of gelatine inside, would it still be worth any money?

B-but the first few bites were tasty!

Sure buddy.

---

Arcane
It seems that also Amazon and PSN adopted the "refund policy" for the game:

Steam, Amazon, PSN Still Offering Refunds On No Man's Sky Purchases

No Man's Sky is a game full of promise that doesn't quite deliver on what it sets out to do. In our review of the game, Matt Miller said "the mid- and endgame experiences teeter away from sci-fi splendor and into rote repetition." Players are understandably upset they didn't get what they wanted from the game, and it seems retailers are still offering refunds on the game.

Recent Reddit and NeoGAF threads have begun collecting stories of people reporting being able to get refunds on No Man's Sky through Amazon, Steam, and even Sony's PSN service. Users who were reported technical difficulties with the game have been receiving refunds, even after spending as many as 50 hours on it. Many have also reported success through live chat channels with Sony and Amazon, as opposed to email.

Although No Man's Sky seems to created a spike in refunds across multiple services, in many cases the refunds are not out of norm. Steam's current refund policy guarantees a refund if the buyer has spent under two hours playing the game and has owned it for fewer than two weeks, but does state that "even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look." Amazon, similarly, states: "Amazon will make case-by-case exceptions and accept returns for units fulfilled through [Fullfilment By Amazon] that may be past the stated return time frame." Amazon's policy on downloaded games, however, states that it will not refund those purchases.

PSN refunds are perhaps the most surprising; Sony states they will refund any purchase with 14 days, but only if the buyer has not begun downloading the game itself. Not everyone has reported being able to get a refund, but it seems as though enough people have that the threads have proliferated with success stories. "For anyone who is not getting a refund I would just keep trying," said Reddit user whaaatcrazy. "I'm not sure why it works for some and not others but no harm in just trying again."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ing-refunds-on-no-man-39-s-sky-purchases.aspx
They shouldn't allow the refunds, it's a "dangerous" precedent.

First Hello Games revolutionized the world of the gaming, and now they are revolutionizing the most important gaming platform.
Nice achievement, Sean :cheersmate:

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
For the record I'll still buy it at $10. It's an neat concept for an indie game but not a $60 AAA disaster.
I bet you can find a better game even for 5$, considering the sales, and their "neat concept" doesn't even work. In a game that was suppose to be about discoveries, farming is what you do 95% of the time, and your main problem is not oxygen, food, or alien environment, but rather free slots in the inventory.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If only game development was a learning animal.

It is. Game developers and publishers have learned that they can scam, mislead, hype and lie through their teeth, release broken games and shitty ports and milk DLC like no tomorrow over and over again and gamers will fall for it and forgive and forget over and over again.

Even Codex, this site of supposedly prestigious and enlightened people, is full of users who buy these overhyped and broken AAA shit games on day one and then are outraged when the product is either in awful launch state or completely different than the pre-release hype and marketing led them to believe. Gamers are retards.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The number of people here who bought the game astonishes me. I would probably not even take it if it was -5$ or came with a free pizza.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's an neat concept for an indie game
Procedurally generated exploration game probably not a very good concept, though. I am yet to see a procedurally generated game which focuses primarily on exploration rather something like survival.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never said the procedural generation was a good thing, in fact I said the exact opposite a few pages ago. The concept of a 'free-form' survival/gathering galaxy exploration game is neat. They did a terrible job of pulling it off, though. But at an extreme sale price I'd hardly call it bad entertainment value.
For the record I'll still buy it at $10. It's an neat concept for an indie game but not a $60 AAA disaster.
buy starbound then.
Paid $8 Russian for it in Early Access. It's utter shit, even more shallow than NMS.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hilarious that Amazon and, even more surprising, Sony are throwing Hello Games under the bus. I'm eagerly waiting for Sean Murray's public apology.

Never forget:

Sean Murray Verified account ‏@NoMansSky
It's pretty crazy for us how many people are playing. And how large a number even 1% of that user base is.

Ever since that statement is when shit started to go down and Sean Murray went completely silent on Twitter.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
64 hours in and I am burned out, as I expected, as soon as I maximised my ship, now there are no more goals.

All in all I liked it a lot, will check the state of modding every few days for the coming time.

Now it's time for Spintires.

Latelistener

Arcane
I think I know what happened with Sean, just don't watch it whole, it doesn't end well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom