Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

No LAN in my StarCraft 2

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
...And millions of pirates cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
It's a bold move to be sure. They must have come up with a solution which they perceive as a viable replacement for LAN.

Jim Cojones said:
(while the cracked version with LAN option added will be on tpb right after the première)

Indeed, for incorporating the LAN option into the game will be as easy as cracking an *.exe. Welcome to reality, enjoy your stay.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Yeah, it'll be harder, but they'll find a way around it in due time. Hell, there seems to be a mentality amongst pirates that favors spiting moves like this.

Tails

Arbiter
No Lan in SC2 ? for sure it's (de)evolution!

Anyway I lost my hopes for SC2 after:
a) Blizzard make Jim some kind of drunken emo
b) Splitting SC2 to three games
c) Seeing some Terran units - Reaper (that should be named WH40K Ripoff) and those mechas.... Same with some Protoss units. But there is still hope that they change some units design

And now (probably) no Lan. What's next? castrated map editor so players could not created custom map like Tower Defence etc. ?
[EDIT]

from official SC2 forum, topic about Lan:

Blizzard is KNOWN for pushing the technical edge of a game.

the first StarCraft required an unheard of powerful system at that time. In fact it was several years before mainstream systems could handle the graphic lag from hundreds of untis on the screen in multiplayer.

graphics is a frontier.
sound is a frontier.
network connection is a frontier.

honestly - if Blizzard doesn't push for internet connectivity, the US is going to fall way behind other countries in this area.

at some point I would like Video chat in StarCraft. is that going to happen if Blizzard is focused on LAN features?
[edit add start]
no, it won't and that would be a shame.
[edit add end]

I don't want Blizzard spending hundreds of hours developing LAN features, testing it, debugging it, if it can focus on network features for Battle.net and StarCraft 2 gameplay.

seriously - LAN features are hardly used, even at LAN cafes here and overseas. Most people just log into Battle.net - and I expect carrying that model forward would be GOOD for STARCRAFT 2.
:facepalm:

Kaiserin

Liturgist
Tails said:
c) Seeing some Terran units - Reaper (that should be named WH40K Ripoff)
Sweet Jesus, I wonder what kind of language is used behind closed doors at GW when they see this shit.

Raapys

Arcane
VonVentrue said:
Indeed, for incorporating the LAN option into the game will be as easy as cracking an *.exe. Welcome to reality, enjoy your stay.

Still, wouldn't expect it to take too long. Considering that programmers managed to emulate even the WoW servers, emulating the new version of BattleNet probably won't take too many months, especially with how popular this thing is going to be.

Tails

Arbiter
SlyDrak said:
Tails said:
What's next? castrated map editor so players could not created custom map like Tower Defence etc.
I take it you haven't read their new EULA, they just own whatever you make.
I didn't, got link? anyway, if this is true then fuck, they starting to become same crap as EA Games.
[edit]
there is a petition about lan: http://www.petitiononline.com/LANSC2/petition.html :lol:

Thanks SlyDrak, it's a serious business from now I guess. What a shame...

Avu

Liturgist
That shit should never stand in court. But then again they can lawyer you out...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yes, we've all heard that one a million times now.

some of the units
I got banned from team liquid for having in my sig
Starcraft 2: Transformers, Megazords, and Space Helicopters

and motherfucking somersaulting zerglings

Multi-headed Cow

God damn it. Fuck Blizzard. I've bought every game they've made, including WoW and the first expansion, but screw them. Diablo 3 with no LAN and Starcraft 2 with no LAN is too much. Piracy ho.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Multi-headed Cow said:
God damn it. Fuck Blizzard. I've bought every game they've made, including WoW and the first expansion, but screw them. Diablo 3 with no LAN and Starcraft 2 with no LAN is too much. Piracy ho.
But:
Multi-headed Cow said:
I've bought WoW
Ehh..

Multi-headed Cow

racofer said:
Multi-headed Cow said:
But:
Multi-headed Cow said:
I've bought WoW
Ehh..
Actually played it a decent while too. First MMO I hit the level cap on. Unfortunately then all that was left was shitty PvP which basically only boiled down to crappy arenas or battlegrounds, or raiding which is too obese for me to ever attempt.

Redlands

Arcane
EULA said:
User Content. "User Content" means any communications, images, sounds, and all the material and information that you upload or transmit through a Game client or the Service, or that other users upload or transmit, including without limitation any chat text. You hereby grant Blizzard a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, paid-up, non-exclusive, license, including the right to sublicense to third parties, and right to reproduce, fix, adapt, modify, translate, reformat, create derivative works from, manufacture, introduce into circulation, publish, distribute, sell, license, sublicense, transfer, rent, lease, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, or provide access to electronically, broadcast, communicate to the public by telecommunication, display, perform, enter into computer memory, and use and practice such User Content as well as all modified and derivative works thereof. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, you hereby waive any moral rights you may have in any User Content.

I'm not a lawyer, but is there some way you can abuse this to your benefit?

For example, somehow submit something illegal, and Blizzard gets blamed for having it licensed?

Kraszu

Prophet
In first SC Blizzard not only did not try to make LAN impossible, but also they had offer spawn installation to enable you to play on bn together with one CD-KEY. Looks like this company no longer exist, first they had removed this option in WAR3, and not they had removed LAN.

VonVentrue said:
...And millions of pirates cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
It's a bold move to be sure. They must have come up with a solution which they perceive as a viable replacement for LAN.

If they would have any, they would announce it, or they did major PR fuck up. This decision is against legal customers also.

Major_Boobage

Scholar
Redlands said:
EULA said:
User Content. "User Content" means any communications, images, sounds, and all the material and information that you upload or transmit through a Game client or the Service, or that other users upload or transmit, including without limitation any chat text. You hereby grant Blizzard a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, paid-up, non-exclusive, license, including the right to sublicense to third parties, and right to reproduce, fix, adapt, modify, translate, reformat, create derivative works from, manufacture, introduce into circulation, publish, distribute, sell, license, sublicense, transfer, rent, lease, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, or provide access to electronically, broadcast, communicate to the public by telecommunication, display, perform, enter into computer memory, and use and practice such User Content as well as all modified and derivative works thereof. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, you hereby waive any moral rights you may have in any User Content.

I'm not a lawyer, but is there some way you can abuse this to your benefit?

For example, somehow submit something illegal, and Blizzard gets blamed for having it licensed?

And then Blizzard should need to license it first huh. :roll:

I will say this about the EULA though. Blizzard is an American company and laws differ so some things might not be applicable in European countries from the EULA.

kris

Arcane
I read some year ago that EULA is not applicaple in the EU.

As for this decision. It sucks, it have at the moment moved me from a "sure buy" into "possibly pirate".

Shannow

Waster of Time
Mostly a bad decision from a consumer POV because of this:
JarlFrank said:
I used to play Warcraft 3 during the long hours of free time in school with friends on netbooks. Of course, there was no internet connection there so we played, naturally, over LAN. Just as we do when we make LAN-parties, or when I want to play a game with someone who happens to be in the same house as I. It would be fucking ridiculous if you couldn't play a quick multiplayer match without internet connection. Heck, most places where I go for LAN parties don't even *have* internet connection.

This is a bad decision by Blizzard and might negatively affect their sales. Not really going to do anything against piracy, but will surely make some potential buyers think twice about buying it.
But then, I don't know where Frank goes to play LAN-parties but everybody I know has DSL (and usually a router). If this was their only CP, if it only applied to multi-player and they do without any more intrusive, harmful, bloating DRM/CP I would have to say, that that is the way I'd go to fight piracy if I were a dev/publisher. But then I was reminded that they want to make SC 2 a trilogy and have "some" pay content in b.net2. Well, fuck that shit.
BTW, is there any info on what is supposed to cost money on b.net? E.g., what I'd find acceptable to ask money for would be something like BlizzardTV. They could cover all the tournaments with comentators, etc...

Major_Boobage

Scholar
kris said:
I read some year ago that EULA is not applicaple in the EU.

And that is bullshit. If somethings in the EULA is forbidden because of a law, it is to be considered not written but the rest of the EULA is still binding.

Shannow said:
BTW, is there any info on what is supposed to cost money on b.net? E.g., what I'd find acceptable to ask money for would be something like BlizzardTV. They could cover all the tournaments with comentators, etc...

Possibly you will have to pay for something like a premium account. You will still be able to play free in basic form. I wouldnt worry about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom