Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info No Aliens RPG from Obsidian Confirmed

Helton

Arcane
It had the same name so your statement is false and who gives a fuck anyways? Did you know that Good Will Hunting is not about hunting?! Those motherfuckers!

It was a tight movie.

Fyz

Scholar
6 pages of semantic debate and trolling.
The decline is complete.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rosh said:
themadhatter114 said:
So you're complaining about their lack of distinction between "evasion" and "stealth"? Seriously? Sure, if by "evasion" you simply mean "running away from shit" that's not stealth. Any other means of evasion to complete objectives without detection can be broadly defined as stealth. Big deal.

There was more, especially before the stealth edits, which is why it's often important to pay attention to the quoted parts as well. Do you really want to spend another two hours (I watched) <s>reading</s> skimming the thread again to pick up another tidbit?

Well, perhaps if the tidbits that you'd already quoted were really at all objectionable. But they're not. So I'm inclined to believe that you'd just find some other unobjectionable quote.

Hell, you were too oblivious to even notice the PM alert on this forum. Don't worry, I'll stealth delete it. See that? That's stealth. You weren't even aware of it!

I only log in to post messages and never even look at the top of the page. I guess that makes me oblivious. Oh well.

Please accept the fact that "stealth" was a word before it became a game design concept.

What, you missed where I posted the definition of the word?

No, I didn't miss that. The part where Anthony Davis gave some examples of gameplay where you proceed imperceptibly, and then you showed him the definition of stealth where it said "to proceed imperceptibly" and compared his examples of stealth gameplay to shooting rainbows from your ass and calling it stealth. Man, you sure owned him with that. Good job actually reading the definition that you posted and interpreting how those gameplay elements were meant to be used to support a character who proceeds imperceptibly.

You're nowhere close to trying as hard as MlMarkland, despite his descent into 4chan mentality, and part of my instigation was to see what else he would divulge.

You? You're just useless.

Oh, I'm so hurt. I'm useless and your butthurt over the use of the word "stealth" to group gameplay elements that support stealth gameplay for a certain character type even if they are in and of themselves not necessarily "stealth" is so useful. I'm sure you're proud of all the awesome shit you've accomplished in life and feel like this pointless argument is right up there.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rosh said:
themadhatter114 said:
(Snip butthurt fanboy drooling.)

The joke's on you, kid. Thanks for the laugh and contributing to drown out any possible pity party for Obsidian in this thread as well. :D

Oh, man, you're hilarious and so devious. I totally wanted to participate in a pity party for Aliens RPG but you tricked me into noticing and pointing out how much of an asshole you are. You're so awesome. You hijack discussions with bullshit and spam threads and then accuse others of spamming. My dick hardens when I imagine that I could be awesome like you.

Rosh

Erudite
themadhatter114 said:
Oh, man, you're hilarious and so devious. I totally wanted to participate in a pity party for Aliens RPG but you tricked me into noticing and pointing out how much of an asshole you are.

Wow, is it THAT obvious? Who knew?

You're so awesome.

Thank you.

You hijack discussions with bullshit and spam threads and then accuse others of spamming.

Agreed, the topic about stealth was a weak premise. But I thank MLMarkland, yourself, and everyone involved for being such obliging puppets.

DANCE, PUPPET, DANCE!

My dick hardens when I imagine that I could be awesome like you.

Hey, I don't need to know about those things, but I'm sure there's someone around here who may be interested.

themadhatter114

Liturgist
Patron
Rosh said:
themadhatter114 said:
Oh, man, you're hilarious and so devious. I totally wanted to participate in a pity party for Aliens RPG but you tricked me into noticing and pointing out how much of an asshole you are.

Wow, is it THAT obvious? Who knew?

You're so awesome.

Thank you.

You hijack discussions with bullshit and spam threads and then accuse others of spamming.

Agreed, the topic about stealth was a weak premise. But I thank MLMarkland, yourself, and everyone involved for being such obliging puppets.

DANCE, PUPPET, DANCE!

My dick hardens when I imagine that I could be awesome like you.

Hey, I don't need to know about those things, but I'm sure there's someone around here who may be interested.

It's getting harder, now.

Rosh

Erudite
themadhatter114 said:
It's getting harder, now.

And here I thought Jasede was hitting on me with his Furcadia Fantasy pics...

quasimodo

Augur
AndhairaX said:
A few more things:

Was the game turnbased or RTwP?
Was unarmed combat/martial arts a viable combat option?
How would the tactical side of the game comapre to Jagged Alliance 2?

While reading this thread I was struck by that quote by Andhaira of all people.

I think we know that this game was not going to be TB and that compared to JA2 it would have sucked.

As long as these AAA companies keep churning out RTwP and FPS crap and keep making games that suck compared to games made 10 years ago I'm more than happy watching Rosh "discuss" game developement with the responsible parties.

Lurkar

Scholar
Fat Dragon said:
http://kotaku.com/5304507/a-glimpse-at-the-now-dead-aliens-rpg
http://www.destructoid.com/ridiculous-a ... 8033.phtml
Lawl, even some mainstream game sites weren't impressed with what they saw.

The Codex cares about mainstream media now? Decline indeed.

Also, I love how most of the comments are "This was just concept art you stupid fuck, and it looks awesome anyways." Looks like the "HOLY FUCK THAT DEVELOPER DIDN'T PAY US - QUICK, BASH HIM!" is starting to turn against them.

Moray

Scholar
Lurkar said:
Fat Dragon said:
http://kotaku.com/5304507/a-glimpse-at-the-now-dead-aliens-rpg
http://www.destructoid.com/ridiculous-a ... 8033.phtml
Lawl, even some mainstream game sites weren't impressed with what they saw.

The Codex cares about mainstream media now? Decline indeed.

Also, I love how most of the comments are "This was just concept art you stupid fuck, and it looks awesome anyways." Looks like the "HOLY FUCK THAT DEVELOPER DIDN'T PAY US - QUICK, BASH HIM!" is starting to turn against them.

It *is* just concept art, after all. Granted, some of those designs are rather bad - the smaller, bipedal aliens in particular, having seemingly lost all of the disturbing sexually oriented vibe of Giger's work, as well as looking simply like lizard-dogs or something, but a few pieces, such as that red queen, I think look excellent.

Helton

Arcane
This is the ultimate RPG! State of the next-gen art. You do not want to rent or skip me! Check it out. Hey gamer, don't worry, me and my entourage of ultimate expansion packs will entertain you! Dynamic shading erosion based environs. WHATUP! Fry half you brain with that shit. Real time combat, mini-games, timed dialogue we got guns we got guts, cleavage...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is the one and only NEW IP setting I was so fucking looking forward too.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKITTY FUCK FUK FUCK FUCK.

Ausir

Arcane
It *is* just concept art, after all. Granted, some of those designs are rather bad - the smaller, bipedal aliens in particular, having seemingly lost all of the disturbing sexually oriented vibe of Giger's work, as well as looking simply like lizard-dogs or something

I think these are just local fauna, not xenomorphs.

Moray

Scholar
Ausir said:
It *is* just concept art, after all. Granted, some of those designs are rather bad - the smaller, bipedal aliens in particular, having seemingly lost all of the disturbing sexually oriented vibe of Giger's work, as well as looking simply like lizard-dogs or something

That makes a lot of sense. I never considered that. If that were the case, I'd give the concept art a thumbs up.

Rosh

Erudite
Moray said:
Ausir said:

That makes a lot of sense. I never considered that. If that were the case, I'd give the concept art a thumbs up.

With the explanation given along with more concept art, I'd have to say that they weren't local fauna like this piece appears to be.

It's starting to become more and more understandable why this game was deservingly shitcanned. I'm waiting for Obsidian's official <s>reason</s> excuse this time around.

Some interesting tidbits from Kotaku's comments:

Naim Master said:
Anything + black color , no eyes and a tail = Xenomorph

(Apparently they didn't hear that there were going to be red variants, too! And for extra creativity, Obsidian might have even used BLUE or GREEN! LOLZ, the font of creativity never ends as long as you have more alternate colors!)

Elsa said:
LOL! Looks more like a pet than a vicious enemy. Put a bow on it's head, add a leash...

(But...but...Xenomeat was going to be a faithful companion for you!)

MotoRobo said:
Aliens vs. Predator's looking real good and the Aliens RPG might've been like Mass Effect but w/the Aliens IP.

(Looks like they saw Obsidian's "original" IP of <s>Mass Effect Solid</s> Alpha Protocol...)

Moray

Scholar
Rosh said:
Apparently they didn't hear that there were going to be red variants, too! And for extra creativity, Obsidian might have even used BLUE or GREEN! LOLZ, the font of creativity never ends as long as you have more alternate colors!

From what I recall, "red variants" were already introduced in the extended universe material of the setting. Granted, it's not "canon" in the sense that it's really in the same vibe as the original flicks, but Obsidian didn't just decide to pull the idea out of their asses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom