Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
So how do I get good at this? I guess I got the hang of dealing with regular enemies (though I still get sodomized when there are more than 2 of them), but these yokai shits always give me a hard time (let alone bosses, oh God). I hate using blue spirits (feels like cheating to me), but this is the only way I've been able to make progress so far.

Silverfish

Arbiter
For what it's worth, yokai don't regenerate ki outside of the dark realm, so weapons like axes, tonfas and kusarigamas can whittle their stamina down quickly, at which point you can stagger them and set them up for grapples. If the yokai you're fighting has horns or tusks, breaking them will deal a ton of ki damage as well. If you're using an Odachi, buy the parry from its skill tree, since it has a unique property of being able to parry attacks from weapon-wielding yokai (yoki, enki, ippon-datara and the like), though it doesn't work on bosses.

somerandomdude

Learned
So how do I get good at this? I guess I got the hang of dealing with regular enemies (though I still get sodomized when there are more than 2 of them), but these yokai shits always give me a hard time (let alone bosses, oh God). I hate using blue spirits (feels like cheating to me), but this is the only way I've been able to make progress so far.

It's been quite awhile since I played this, but I remember a few tidbits that might help you.

- Blocking is very good in this game, don't be afraid to use it.
- Yokai skills like Ippon Datara (1 legged hammer bro) are effective for breaking enemies, and have iframes on them (can also iframe red attacks). Gozuki is quite good as well (minotaur-like boss enemy).
- There are a lot of good buff & support spells from ninjetsu and omnyo magic, and these can make a literal night and day difference.
- Burst counter timings vary depending on the type of counter. Certain attacks might be easier to counter with certain burst counter types. The timing for phantom functions more like a traditional parry. Brute type lands a hit, so the focus of using brute type to burst counter would be to tap them with it before the attack lands. I found the timing for feral counter to be odd and inconsistent, and had much better luck using phantom or brute type. IMO brute type works great to counter grab attacks or red attacks with long wind ups, and phantom counter works better to counter quicker strikes. So, if you're getting raped by red grabs try using brute to tap them before the grab lands.

Brute burst counter best. If you use Ryomen Sukuna and Kasha Soul Cores together you will have strong Yokai abilities (especially Ryomen) and great life leech with them. Healing up with Ryomen Sukuna spin when engaging multiple enemies is ridiculously good. That thing applies Confusion two, as it deals both fire and water at same time. Another good way to heal while attacking - Life Recovery (Amrita Absorbtion). Earliest source of it before you can get it on equipment is bonus from Toyotomi clan, join that. Extraction Talisman makes that effect much better. That should allow you to combo enemies with more confidence.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Meanwhile, I've made it to the 'Shadow' stage of the game. Just killed the 3-eyed owl boss. I almost feel ashamed for relying on ninjutsu so much... But look, if I hadn't managed to hit that owl with my kusarigama a few times first, the final lightning jutsu strike wouldn't have been fatal, right?

Feathers are great choice to spend Ninjutsu capacity on, I like to have feathers of all three elements handy so I could keep that Confuse going. Also don't be a soulsfag who thinks that using all the tools game allows is playing it wrong. Wrong mentality for this game I think. Magic and Dexterity should be at 30 minimum and jutsu capacities filled no matter what build you play. By Dream of the Wise I like to have both Omnyo and Ninjutsu power at 500 at least.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Another boss (Magara) down purely by using ninjutsu
858131397.gif

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I am not sure if this game is shit, or just has a steep learning curve. There seem to be too many mechanics, and it's all weird and stuff.

Help.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, the devs went overboard with those yokai morph mechanic thingies IMO.

I liked Nioh 1 more.

I am not sure if this game is shit, or just has a steep learning curve. There seem to be too many mechanics, and it's all weird and stuff.

Help.

The beginning is harder as you have less tools. Level Dexterity and Magic to 30 to max out capacity earlier on to have more tools. I recommend ninjutsu feathers of all elements and omnyo for talismans. Barrier talisman is certainly something you'll want. Otherwise pump Stamina as heavy armors are good in this game and Toughness is a nice stat. It's Stability and Poise in one. You can forget about pumping damage via attribute scaling until later NG cycles, most of your damage comes from weapon level. Also use Brute guardian spirits as they have best overall burst counter. Want a noob friendly weapon? Odachi. Axe too but Odachi has more move variety. And join Toyotomi clan, Life Recovery (Amrita Absorbtion) is a cool thing to have, and it's the only source of it early game. Later on you can stack more of it via equipment.
This game is actually way more fair than later From games, it just requires that you learn to use more than 3-4 buttons.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
At least in Nioh 1 it was much easier to man up and beat the enemy with your weapon and your superhuman might, rather then resort to dirty tricks and magery.
Which is how I prefer to roll in such games.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Only if the tools are enjoyable.
These yokai morphs look and feel weird as hell to me.

Silverfish

Arbiter
"I jumped in the air to dodge an attack and threw a spear!"

iFhhrH.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom