Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo's new console: the Switch (formerly NX)

But it's not a Handheld... are guys stupid or what?

But. It. Is.

It's a fucking touch screen tablet that has wireless controllers, and can connect to a tv through it's charging dock. Seriously, even dinky smart phones can do that if you got a OTG and usb to hdmi cable. What's making you so goddamn confused about this.

tet666

Augur
I'm not confused in the slightest i have seen Nintys presentation and all their marketing says this a home console first and foremost.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What the fuck are some of you retards going on about?

The Switch is being marketed as a multi-purpose Console/handheld device. It would not surprise me if they did not make a successor to the 3DS and made the next Pokemon game for the Switch.

tet666, try not to go full retard. It's not becoming of you.

Oh you cheeky shit you edited your post.
It's too big and clunky, too expensive has shitty battery life and not even the games look like traditional handheld games i mean wtf suggests this is a handheld here ? i really don't get it.
The original gameboy while portable was more or less a plastic brick, you can hold it in your hands but not in your pocket, the switch also fits this description. This was addressed with the gameboy pocket but used those shitty AAA batteries, but then was fixed with GBC, nearly a decade later of the original gameboy, being a little bigger but used normal AA batteries. Now I agree that the battery life sucks dick on the switch, but the battery life on the 3DS also sucks the exact same amount of dick, not really much difference here, except now you can charge it with your smartphone cable if it's one of those usb-c cables. Or a usb battery pack, only reason why I don't carry one anymore is because I finally got a battery case for my phone. Price for the 3ds and wii u both dropped with in a year, I got my wii u as a refurbished one for like 220 bucks (i think), so this will also drop in price in a year or so i think. Also the non-handheld game games is the point, you can now get big boy games now too (provided that third party support doesn't drop like a rock after a year). The switch isn't meant to be a console or handheld in nintendo's eyes, it's meant to be a successor to both altogether. Considering that consoles have become shitty PCs this is probably a decision to also stand out from the crowd.

tet666

Augur
Yeah it's a handheld i can clearly see it now...

source.gif

Dexter

Arcane
m2LNc94.png

V8HlT.jpg

Again, like the WiiU it seems to be looking for a market where there isn't one, it's too big and unwieldy and requires too much power to be convenient and pocketable, much larger than the Vita or 3DS (or your usual phone) nearing or about comparable with tablet size (but people/casuals who want tablet-sized gaming most likely already have tablets). It's not powerful or convenient enough to be considered a proper console and run 9th (or even 8th) generation console games, it's weaker than an NVIDIA SHIELD and won't get all that third-party goodness. It's also out of the price range of your usual handheld gaming devices or even 8th gen consoles and has additional costs for services and accessories (like your usual controller).

The Decline

Arcane

DragoFireheart

It's time to score some shit/retarded points!

I pre-ordered the Nintendo Switch and LoZ:BotW. I normally would not do such a thing but I have a good feeling about Nintendo's recent console/handheld attempt.

You can all use me as your guinea pig for questions later on. I'll find out how much of a flop/success it is.

EDIT:

u fucking faggets gimme more negative votes

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I pre-ordered the Nintendo Switch and LoZ:BotW. I normally would not do such a thing but I have a good feeling about Nintendo's recent console/handheld attempt.

You can all use me as your guinea pig for questions later on. I'll find out how much of a flop/success it is.

It's not stupid unless you already own both a Wii U AND a 3DS.

If you already own both those things you should have waited a year.

DragoFireheart

I never touched the WiiU. I saw exactly zero reasons for that console to be in my home.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I never touched the WiiU. I saw exactly zero reasons for that console to be in my home.

Gratz. You aren't retarded.

DragoFireheart

The WiiU will go down as Nintendo's Dreamcast system.

Such a flop of a system. Even my wife, a Nintendo fan, had zero interest.

Deleted Member 16721

I'll have to make a video soon showing some of the Nvidia Shield and the modifications I've made to mine. The Switch is essentially some Shield/Nvidia technology with a Nintendo OS and no sign of Android support (so far). The Shield is basically an 8", 1080p version of the Switch but obviously doesn't have Nintendo exclusives - instead it has Android everything + Nvidia store stuff + Nvidia Gamestream, which basically means you can already play Skyrim and a ton of other RPGs/games on the tablet via streaming. I won't get into too much detail but I've already had Risen, Wizards & Warriors (yes, the old-school D.W. Bradley masterpiece), Space Hack and a bunch of others I was playing around with working just fine on the Shield tablet + controller (a clip-on controller). Not counting the Android games that already support touchscreen or things like Exagear that "port" old-school games to Android to work with touchscreen controls.

So, the Switch will be Nintendo's version of this (Shield also has console mode via HDMI + 4K resolution output). They are even using Nvidia's latest chip (Shield has comparable power to Xbox 360/PS3 and that is on a few year old chip).

In short, I'm buying a Switch and then waiting for the bigger deal for me, the Shield 2.0, down the road. You don't know how nice these tablet gaming devices are until you've used one for awhile.

The Decline

Arcane

Eh, I don't regret buying one. There were several exclusives I really liked and it is backwards compatible with Wii games and Gamecube isos (with a bit of soft modding).

Perkel

Arcane
Backward comp is good thing. I too was thinking about Wii U in that form though system is expensive as fuck compared to games it has.

Today i browsed allegro (something like polish ebay but better) and i found Wii in amazing state (basically very very very well taken care of) + almost all accessories (classik controller, motion plus, chargers) etc. for 30$. Pulled trigger.
I expect to change it to WiiU once prices will fall down and they will like rock after switch will get most of WiiU games as ports.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

Eh, I don't regret buying one. There were several exclusives I really liked and it is backwards compatible with Wii games and Gamecube isos (with a bit of soft modding).

I saw some games that interested me, but there wasn't enough to make me want to buy it.

Maybe I'll buy it dirt cheap once it's under $100.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Dreamcast had like one good game that got better versions on other consoles and the pc. WiiU had more than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom