Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo has finally gone full derp.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This is a year+ old, as that Mario platformer had the same thing. They're mainly kid's games so it doesn't really bother me...

Antagonist

Liturgist
Some of those "kid's games" can be hellishly difficult, especially when you have the obsessive compulsive disorder to maximize your score (I'm looking at you, Super Mario Brothers on my DS). Disregarding the style of the artwork Nintendo consoles are still the best bet to find challenging games compared to the popamole offerings on the competing platforms (including the PC).

Tycn

Savant
This is actually a good idea considering the alternative is dumbing down the entire game.

zeitgeist

Magister
Tycn said:
This is actually a good idea considering the alternative is dumbing down the entire game.
Until they gather data showing that less than 10% of players played the game in any other modes than the auto pilot mode.

Felix

Arcane
Old.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is really hard from what I've seen, also it's not enable unless you've died 8 times which mean you absolutely suck at the game, same deal with Galaxy.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
This is a year+ old, as that Mario platformer had the same thing. They're mainly kid's games so it doesn't really bother me...

You know what else they said was a kid's game?

600full-super-ghouls-n%27-ghosts-screenshot.jpg

God hates children.

Nintendo has DERPed pretty hardcore since the days of the SNES. If you want to play fun console games, you simply have to skip back to SNES/PS1 era or beyond. Just a random comparison, first play Super Metroid, a classic game with good atmosphere and great controls. Then, pick Metroid Prime, another critically acclaimed game which however lacks atmosphere entirely and plays something like a very slow and quirky FPS game. Not shit, but I can't honestly say it was fun.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I thought Metroid Prime had ton of atmosphere and was an overall awesome game. I had no problem with the controls. It's no keyboard + mouse, but they worked well enough for a console game.
The 2nd and 3rd one were full derp though. Especially MP3. Hurr spess mahreens.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Metroid Prime was great, that's honestly the first time I've seen someone say it had no atmosphere - even the detractors usually say it was a strong point. MP2 was pretty dull, just more of the same but not as good. MP3 was... good for what it was. Controls were good and the action was fun, some good set pieces, but it was pretty much just a Metroid-flavoured standard FPS with gung-ho space marines.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The first Metroid Prime game is great but the second and third should basically have stayed as concept art. At least they're no Metroid Fusion or Other M.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've never really liked the 3D mario games because they tend to be too easy. And my prestigious inner gamer would never let me use any kind of auto pilot as a matter of pride.

deuxhero

Arcane
Ah, Other M, where Samus has become weak and whinny despite Metroid, the Zero Mission epilogue, Prime, Prime Hunters, Prime 2, Prime 3, Return of Samus and Super Metroid all coming before it in the timeline and having her as a functional human being. She also is now afraid of Ridley, despite killing him 5 times (plus a robot duplicate) alreddy without going into the fetal position.

:x

Yeah, Prime 2 had little atmosphere. A large portion of the first games was how the scans presented the monsters as having a working ecosystem, which is completely absent in the 2nd (and possibly 3rd).

Ermm

Erudite
Xor said:
I've never really liked the 3D mario games because they tend to be too easy. And my prestigious inner gamer would never let me use any kind of auto pilot as a matter of pride.

I agree. Mario 64 is still hugely overrated and at time, I liked Spyro and Crash Bandicoot more.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
zeitgeist said:
Tycn said:
Until they gather data showing that less than 10% of players played the game in any other modes than the auto pilot mode.

deuxhero

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
zeitgeist said:
Tycn said:

The "automatically select attack" option has been jRPGs for years (MegaTen has the cool feature of speeding the game up if you use it, the others just save you the time in menus). The one game that badly needs such an option (KotOR) however lacks it.

But Nintendo says any concerns are blown out of proportion. Spokesman Kit Ellis told FoxNews.com that the new mode is similar to the numerous cheat codes, online game FAQs, and YouTube walk-throughs that frustrated gamers already consult.

Yeah, it's not really that derpish as level select and infinite live cheats have been around since ever

Data4

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
But Nintendo says any concerns are blown out of proportion. Spokesman Kit Ellis told FoxNews.com that the new mode is similar to the numerous cheat codes, online game FAQs, and YouTube walk-throughs that frustrated gamers already consult.

Yeah, it's not really that derpish as level select and infinite live cheats have been around since ever

In Morrowind, you had to pay attention to what the NPCs told you in order to find Caius. Oh sure, you could go to Gamefaqs or the forums and have someone tell you, but the game still showed a little respect for the Sherlock Holmes types. Oblivion included a GPS because so many dumbasses couldn't find Caius.

We blasted Oblivion for that. Just saying.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Data4 said:
In Morrowind, you had to pay attention to what the NPCs told you in order to find Caius. Oh sure, you could go to Gamefaqs or the forums and have someone tell you, but the game still showed a little respect for the Sherlock Holmes types. Oblivion included a GPS because so many dumbasses couldn't find Caius.

I love when people comment that Morrowind dropped you into the world with no direction. It just proves them to be ignorant bastards who ignored the dialogue and need an arrow to tell them exactly what to do at all times. It's like a dumbass test.

Kraszu

Prophet
Data4 said:
Clockwork Knight said:

That is not a good analogy because quest compass isn't optional, and it changes the game as there is no reason to give detailed directions by NPC now. In Nintendo approach nothing changes for people that don't want to use the win button.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom