Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo DS

spekkio

Arcane
ZbojLamignat said:
Console games with PC ports made just to earn some extra $.
Welcome to PC gaming post 200?.

:M

In before someone going skyway and mentioning buggy shit realistic FPSes like Arma or some niche strategy games or simulations.

:rpgcodex:

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Well, I'm one of the people who think that PC gaming is doing pretty fine on strategy front in the present century :smug:

But the fact that tactical games died out completely is pure :decline:

Thanks for that list 20 eyes, you're a bro!

I had one of these things given to me a few years ago. My library consists of:

Advance Wars: Dual strike. Decent enough game.

Panzer tactics: Panzer general on a DS.

GTA Chinatown: Not bad.

Dark spire: Nice oldschool blobbing.

Puzzle quest, challenge of the warlords: Not bad.

Don't know enough about any other games to buy them, and I don't really like JRPG's. My FrodoDS C64 emulator has come in handy though. I really wish they would retool the old KOEI wargames for this machine, I can imagine having a blast playing Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Nobunagas Ambition, etc.

Renegen

Arcane
Dark Spire is an jRPG for all intensions and purpose. So I recommend you try Etrian Odyssey ( any of the 3) or Shin Megami Tensei : Strange Journey. They're nothing but dungeon crawlers like Dark Spire but better.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If you got a DS Lite, Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis is still one of the best Tactical RPGs ever. The medal system is simply amazing, and you got a lot of fun classes, as the Lich. I would really love a sequel to this one.

Dragon Quest IX is a standard JRPG with customizable party and monsters appearing on map, so no issues with random battle every 5 seconds or annoying characters that most people hates abou JRPGs. The story is good, just the skill system is kind of lacking, but still a good game.

The World Ends With You I could only manage to play it at my third try. Is really confusing at first, as you get pissed wishing you could be controlling both characters in a more turn-based style, but you get the hand of it.

Going far beyond Codexdome, I had a really good time with Rune Factory 3. :oops: I was addicted to Harvest Moon on SNES, so a Harvest Moon game with slight RPG elements and battles was sure sale. Its easy, silly and loads of fun. ;)

deuxhero

Arcane
Nah. In TWEWY, you are best of just spamming right/left for the top screen character (For one character, press up first).

Renegen

Arcane
There's plenty of GOOD jRPGs if you are in that sort of stuff.

For Dragon Quest, apparently the 5th is the best because you can tame so many monsters to follow you. I also loved DQ : Monsters Joker. It's a bit like a Pokemon but with DQ monsters, and it's fun. There's nothing better than to fuse that 1 monster that you hated through all of the DQ games you played in existence and have it own everything. Or maybe fuse any of the bosses.

Rune Factory is also good. It's so good that after 3 sequels and a game on the Wii, it's now coming to the PS3.

For an unconventional pick. I recommend Valkyrie Profile : Covenant of the Plume. It actually has C&C!! The game takes about 15-20 hours to finish but has several playthroughs depending on how you act. Plus, the game is dark.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The DS's game library is gigantic and there are a ton of really strong games for it, you shouldn't just limit yourself to RPG's... but as far as RPGs do go, The Dark Spire is a great crawler for sure. Etrian Odyssey is the same gameplay style, but I found those games to be completely soulless (whereas there is a charm to Dark Spire).

The Dragon Quest games are pretty solid. Shiren the Wanderer is a brutal rogue-like; I highly suggest it. Don't see a lot of talk about it anywhere, but it is seriously one of the very best DS games out there if you are into RPGs/rogue-likes. Infinite Space is for the min/max players out there; also has a pretty interesting story/space-opera thing going on.

Should also look at this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

Lot of good games left off of there, but it gives one an idea of what the DS has.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh wow, a lot of titles I haven't played. What about these:

Golden Sun DS
Shiren the Wanderer
Suikoden Tierkreis

Are they any good?

Zeus

Cipher
Shiren's a famous SNES roguelike ported to DS without many changes. It's purdy looking, especially if you're into the sixteen bit pixel look.

Suikoden Tkierkttkissktkissises got a bad rap when it came out, mostly 6.5/10s and whatnot, but I have yet to hear a review from someone whose opinion I trust. The soundtrack is badass, I know that much.

7hm

Scholar
Crooked Bee said:
Oh wow, a lot of titles I haven't played. What about these:

Golden Sun DS
Shiren the Wanderer
Suikoden Tierkreis

Are they any good?

I like Shiren.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2008/03/pla ... tery_d.php

Some of the glorious quotes from the intro article:

"Everything about this game is excruciatingly painful to anyone who associates the words “video game” with fun and exciting."
(Britishgaming.co.uk)

"On the downside, the dungeon generation can be moronic and if Shiren dies, he loses everything - all the items, money, and powers he attained through hours of questing are gone. Games, in general, have gotten easier since this title was originally released on the SNES and this unforgiving style simply won't fly with players raised on newer games."
(GamesRadar)

"Imagine if Satan were to create a video game. If he did, he’d probably join forces with Chunsoft to create Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer.
[...]
The game is a roguelike dungeon crawler that spews Japanese gaming out of every orifice imaginable.[...]"
(Sega Nerds)

In other words, it's a great game.

sser

Arcane
Developer
It has that "dying is fun" thing going for it. As you progress through the game the monsters get more and more creative with how they can ruin your run. Also, the finality of dying adds a sense of urgency to things that most modern games lack entirely.

Renegen

Arcane
Zeus said:
Suikoden Tkierkttkissktkissises got a bad rap when it came out, mostly 6.5/10s and whatnot, but I have yet to hear a review from someone whose opinion I trust. The soundtrack is badass, I know that much.

I think the problem was that the game was too easy. I only played it for a few hours, so I don't know. Mostly it's a dumbed down Suikoden game, which still means a superior jRPG if it wasn't for the easy combat in this one.

Play Suikoden 3 (for the PS2), my favourite.

mwnn

Novice
You've got a serious problem if you can't find something to like from this list. Henry Hatsworth is stunning. Try to import an Acekard or Supercard DSTwo even the old R4 works with Wood.

9_hours_9_persons_9_doors.nds
ace_attorney_investigations_miles_edgeworth.nds
advance_wars_days_of_ruin.nds
advance_wars_dual_strike.nds
age_of_empires_mythologies.nds
age_of_empires_the_age_of_kings.nds
alice_in_wonderland.nds
animal_crossing_wild_world.nds
anno_1701_dawn_of_discovery.nds
apollo_justice_ace_attorney.nds
assassins_creed_2_discovery.nds
bangai_o_spirits.nds
batman_the_brave_and_the_bold.nds
bejewled_twist.nds
big_bang_mini.nds
big_brain_academy.nds
bleach_dark_souls.nds
bomberman_land_touch!.nds
bomberman_land_touch_2.nds
brain_age.nds
brain_age_2.nds
call_of_duty_black_ops.nds
call_of_duty_modern_warfare_mobilized.nds
castlevania_dawn_of_sorrow.nds
castlevania_order_of_ecclesia.nds
castlevania_portrait_of_ruin.nds
chrono_trigger.nds
civilization_revolution.nds
clubhouse_games.nds
contra_4.nds
cooking_mama.nds
cooking_mama_2_dinner_with_friends.nds
cooking_mama_3_shop_and_chop.nds
cooking_mama_world_hobbies_and_fun.nds
crayola_treasure_adventures.nds
custom_robo_arena.nds
dawn_of_discovery.nds
de_blob_2.nds
dementium_2.nds
dementium_the_ward.nds
disgaea_ds.nds
donkey_kong_jungle_climber.nds
dragon_ball_origins.nds
dragon_ball_origins_2.nds
dragon_ball_z_attack_of_the_saiyans.nds
dragon_quest_4_chapters_of_the_chosen.nds
dragon_quest_5_hand_of_the_heavenly_bride.nds
dragon_quest_6_realms_of_revelation.nds
dragon_quest_9_sentinels_of_the_starry_skies.nds
dragon_quest_heroes_rocket_slime.nds
dragon_quest_monsters_joker.nds
drawn_to_life.nds
drawn_to_life_the_next_chapter.nds
drone_tactics.nds
electroplankton.nds
elite_beat_agents.nds
etrian_odyssey.nds
etrian_odyssey_2_heroes_of_lagaard.nds
etrian_odyssey_3_the_drowned_city.nds
final_fantasy_12_revenant_wings.nds
final_fantasy_3.nds
final_fantasy_4.nds
final_fantasy_crystal_chronicles_echoes_of_time.nds
final_fantasy_crystal_chronicles_rings_of_fates.nds
final_fantasy_fables_chocobo_tales.nds
final_fantasy_tactics_a2_grimoire_of_the_rift.nds
final_fantasy_the_four_heroes_of_light.nds
fire_emblem_shadow_dragon.nds
gardening_mama.nds
geometry_wars_galaxies.nds
ghost_trick.nds
glory_days_2.nds
glory_of_heracles.nds
golden_sun_dark_dawn.nds
goldeneye_007.nds
grand_theft_auto_chinatown_wars.nds
harvest_moon_ds_grand_bazaar.nds
harvest_moon_sunshine_islands.nds
henry_hatsworth_in_the_puzzling_adventure.nds
hotel_dusk_room_215.nds
james_bond_007_blood_stone.nds
kingdom_hearts_358_2_days.nds
kingdom_hearts_recoded.nds
kirby_canvas_curse.nds
kirby_squeak_squad.nds
kirby_super_star_ultra.nds
knights_in_the_nightmare.nds
lego_batman.nds
lego_battles.nds
lego_battles_ninjago.nds
lego_harry_potter_years_1_4.nds
lego_indiana_jones.nds
lego_indiana_jones_2.nds
lego_rock_band.nds
lego_star_wars_3_the_clone_wars.nds
lego_star_wars_complete.nds
little_red_riding_hoods_zombie_bbq.nds
locks_quest.nds
lostmagic.nds
lufia_curse_of_the_sinistrals.nds
luminous_arc.nds
luminous_arc_2.nds
lunar_knights.nds
mario_and_luigi_bowsers_inside_story.nds
mario_and_luigi_partners_in_time.nds
mario_and_sonic_at_the_olympic_games.nds
mario_and_sonic_at_the_winter_games.nds
mario_hoops_3_on_3.nds
mario_kart_ds.nds
mario_party_ds.nds
mario_vs_donkey_kong_2_march_of_the_minis.nds
mario_vs_donkey_kong_mini-land_mayhem!.nds
megaman_zero_collection.nds
megaman_zx.nds
megaman_zx_advent.nds
meteos.nds
meteos_disney_magic.nds
metroid_prime_hunters.nds
metroid_prime_pinball.nds
might_and_magic_clash_of_heroes.nds
monster_tale.nds
moon.nds
n+.nds
nanostray.nds
nanostray_2.nds
new_super_mario_brothers.nds
ninja_gaiden_dragon_sword.nds
ninjatown.nds
nintendogs_chihuahua_and_friends.nds
nintendogs_dachshund_and_friends.nds
nintendogs_dalmatian_and_friends.nds
nintendogs_lab_and_friends.nds
okamiden.nds
orcs_and_elves.nds
phoenix_wright_ace_attorney.nds
phoenix_wright_ace_attorney_justice_for_all.nds
phoenix_wright_ace_attorney_trials_and_tribulations.nds
picross.nds
picross_3d.nds
plants_vs_zombies.nds
pokemon_black.nds
pokemon_heartgold.nds
pokemon_platinum.nds
pokemon_ranger_guardian_signs.nds
pokemon_soulsilver.nds
pokemon_white.nds
professor_layton_and_pandoras_box.nds
professor_layton_and_the_curious_village.nds
professor_layton_and_the_lost_future.nds
puzzle_quest_2.nds
puzzle_quest_challenge_of_the_warlords.nds
radiant_historia.nds
resident_evil_deadly_silence.nds
rhythm_heaven.nds
robocalypse.nds
rune_factory_3_a_fantasy_harvest_moon.nds
sands_of_destruction.nds
scurge_hive.nds
shin_megami_tensei_devil_survivor.nds
shin_megami_tensei_strange_journey.nds
sonic_colours.nds
sonic_rush.nds
sonic_rush_adventure.nds
soul_bubbles.nds
space_invaders_extreme.nds
space_invaders_extreme_2.nds
star_wars_the_clone_wars_jedi_alliance.nds
star_wars_the_clone_wars_republic_heroes.nds
super_mario_64_ds.nds
super_princess_peach.nds
super_scribblenauts.nds
tetris_ds.nds
the_dark_spire.nds
the_legend_of_zelda_phantom_hourglass.nds
the_legend_of_zelda_spirit_tracks.nds
the_legendary_starfy.nds
the_world_ends_with_you.nds
trauma_center_under_the_knife.nds
trauma_center_under_the_knife_2.nds
ultimate_spiderman.nds
viewtiful_joe_double_trouble.nds
viva_pinata_pocket_paradise.nds
warioware_diy.nds
worms_open_warfare_2.nds
yoshi_touch_and_go.nds
yoshis_island.nds
zoo_keeper.nds

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Bought myself a black DS Lite with Orcs&Elves and after playing it for about 2 hours yesterday I already can tell that this little Nintendo fucker beats the living shit out of everything that Sony and MS managed to vomit for the last decade.

Currently awaiting for my ordered Acekard so I can really get in the fun. I only hope that this won't make me join the rampant japfaggotry group roaming the codex :decline:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The DS really is the best gamming platforn these years. The 3DS could be the ultimate gaming machine, since it can run old pc games (maybe even Fallout) and PS1 and N64 games in flashcards. It's a shame it doens't run GBA games, and I keep hearing people complain about DS games getting distorted on the 3DS screen...maybe 3DS Lite will solve things.

deuxhero

Arcane
To avoid making a new topic, do I need to start Etrian Odyssey at the first game? Am I good if I can only get the 3rd?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
They are different games.

EO 1 started it and has the best music and is really long and hard (to most).
EO 2 has basically the same system, but more classes and a lot of skill changes, so builds from EO 1 generally don't work anymore. The game is about as long and hard.
EO 3 uses the same skeleton, but the classes and skills are all new and there is a "sailing" system. The game is much easier.

They are all pretty much unrelated, so it's like watching 3 random Simpsons episodes: no connection.
If you are going to play all 3, start with 1. If you just want the easiest, play 3. If you want a refined, nice dungeon crawler that fixes some of the imbalance that could make 1 too easy (or hard, depending on your build), 2 is good.

tl; dr: Doesn't matter. If you only get the third, no problem.

Well, maybe one problem: going back from 3 to 2, or from 2 to 1, or even from 3 to 1 might be hard. It's like playing RoA 3 and then playing RoA 1: You'll miss the loot-distribution window and the ability to cast diagonally in the old game (talking about RoA still).

Multi-headed Cow

Devil Survivor seemed pretty decent until I started getting the feeling I needed to grind XP/gold and my eyes started glazing over. Chrono Trigger wasn't too horrible until I hit the "Open world" bit and stopped giving a fuck.

Moral of the story, I liked the Pheonix Wright games on DS the best. And New Super Mario Bros. Shiren was pretty bro as well. Didn't really go nuts with the DS even after loading up 8 gigs of ROMs. In fact it's sitting here on my desk staring at me sadly with dust building on it AS I TYPE THIS.

Oh shit, Professor Layton and Picross 3D, forgot to mention those. Puzzle games for while you're sitting on the shitter are the best use of the DS. Get puzzle games.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
So what's the best flashcart (iirc it's what they're called, dunno shit about handhelds really) these days - with savestate support and all? Figured a DS loaded with all the good games in a single memory card would make for a nice present to my kid brother.

Multi-headed Cow

Supercard DSTWO is the new hotness for pirate carts I believe. Moderately priced and supposedly has the best built-in anti-piracy, and lets you play pirated GBA games without a GBA slot piracy widget.

I'm using a CycloDS which works, but is more expensive and less slick (For brand new games I have to update the firmware to get around anti-piracy usually, DSTWO supposedly doesnt).

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
Supercard DSTWO is the new hotness for pirate carts I believe. Moderately priced and supposedly has the best built-in anti-piracy, and lets you play pirated GBA games without a GBA slot piracy widget.

Sounds sweet, cheers. :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom