Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo DS Emulation

PorkaMorka

Arcane
SMT: Strange Journey seems to be better than Etrian Odyssey (which it is a clone of) so far:

Less need for spoilers to avoid bad character builds, less need for grinding, less need for stupid gamey tactics like building a team of guys just to loot resource nodes, no FOES to wipe you unfairly.

It's unclear how the difficulty will hold up, it seems to be ok so far, I just got to the second strata. The mini boss difficulty was perfect, 1st real boss was a bit easy

But still the JRPG gameplay is pretty boring compared to say Devil survivor

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Conan agrees that Devil Survivor was pretty nerd-core. He enjoyed it, sexually.

He also feels that Nintendo is being severely homosexual with their anti-piracy measures. Conan has, as such, been unable to fruitfully multiply his horde of Pokemon in Heart Gold, which homosexualizes as soon as a save is attempted. God damn you, Nintendo! God damn your dirty, heathen soul.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The Barbarian said:
Conan agrees that Devil Survivor was pretty nerd-core. He enjoyed it, sexually.

He also feels that Nintendo is being severely homosexual with their anti-piracy measures. Conan has, as such, been unable to fruitfully multiply his horde of Pokemon in Heart Gold, which homosexualizes as soon as a save is attempted. God damn you, Nintendo! God damn your dirty, heathen soul.

Get a decent flashcart.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Conan understands. He does. But he has been reliably informed that most cards (the R4 series; the M3 series; the Ace series) suffer from Pokemon's sultry wiles. The Barbarian's M3 Real, certainly, was not man enough to handle the situation.

However, Conan sees little point in spending money, when the aim is to not spend money. Even if Conan's soul must suffer, Pokemon-less-ly.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I think all big flashcarts run it now. Not sure, though, I don't care. CycloDS and Acekard run it for sure.

However, Conan sees little point in spending money, when the aim is to not spend money.

You spend ONCE more money in order to save in the future.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Conan's grasp of your logic is as sound as his grasp of his wallet. Kung-fu death-grasp sound, that is. Yet, he will await until bitches crack this thing wide open, before pirating it sexually, without unclasping that sagging money purse.

Now, let us both not care, as nonchalant comrades.

spekkio

Arcane
SMT: SJ spoilartime:
sm6ibm.jpg
8wa49i.jpg

qr15e9.jpg
2rdcimv.jpg

Phelot

Arcane
She calls you bro while you're in a map that looks like a severed penis with fangs

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
hm, looks pretty nice.
phelot said:
looks like a severed penis with fangs
do you mean to suggest that the normal penis is neither detachable, nor fanged?

Phelot

Arcane
Ha Ha no no my friend, such a suggestion would be ludicrous! Why just today I dropped my penis off at the re-fitters to have it diamond encrusted.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
PorkaMorka said:
SMT: Strange Journey seems to be better than Etrian Odyssey (which it is a clone of) so far:

Less need for spoilers to avoid bad character builds, less need for grinding, less need for stupid gamey tactics like building a team of guys just to loot resource nodes, no FOES to wipe you unfairly.

It's unclear how the difficulty will hold up, it seems to be ok so far, I just got to the second strata. The mini boss difficulty was perfect, 1st real boss was a bit easy

But still the JRPG gameplay is pretty boring compared to say Devil survivor

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer this gameplay to tactical RPGs and it doesn't feel that Japanese to me, except for the problem that you don't actually improve a party, but rather just forge new demon-combinations. Aside of that the battles feel like Wizardry or Might and Magic, without the great spells, the permanently level-draining monsters and the huge amount of insta-killing. (But knowing that this is SMT 4, instant-killing is going to happen a lot soon, so no worries there.)

Gotta admire you though, I thought the first boss was crushingly difficult. While I did do it on my first try it still took 1 Bead and switching out three fallen demons, with everyone near-death when the fight was over. Felt like difficult to me.

Edit: Oh, I suppose by JRPG gameplay you mean all this story. I could do without that myself, personally. That's something Etrian Odyssey actually did well: give you barely any story until later, and even then only tiny bits. That was more like the older games.

The Barbarian

Liturgist
Conan laughed upon reading Jasede's post. 'Too much text', he said! From a man of worth using a Planescape Torment avatar! Not that Conan disagrees; the delicious poetry of it is sexual, however. The Barbarian is a fan of PT, rest easy. But Infinite Space has not drawn him in. Not even the giant mammary glands of the first NPC have helped. Damn you, Nude Maker!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Andyman Messiah said:
Infinite Space is awesome.
mh, no.
the only good things about it are the branching, the many avoidable and unavoidable deaths of story npcs, and the tetris-like module system.
the overwhelming rest just plainly sucks.

the story is a direct guren lagann rip-off, and rather meh, the exploration is incredibly shitty (which is kinda huge in a space exploration game, which it was advertised as) and can even break your game if you backtrack at certain points due to flags not being set properly, the combat is atrocious, easy, and never fucking changes even with the introduction of fighters, there are pretty much only three and a half good ships in the entire game, one and a half of which you won't be seeing in a normal playthrough since they come from being the top rank on the fame list, the research system sucks due to you never knowing how much longer it will take, how sci xp upgrades influence it other than "moar is bettah", the selection being random (i assume, even if not still sucky), and a lot of other things, but most importantly half the game is fucking useless time-killing filler content in the form of too much text, too long pauses, entirely useless endlessly repeated and unskippable (the skippable ones as well) 3d sequences.
finally, the ex mode is like parasite eve's chrysler building only worse, because the combat is so fucking shitty.

the game is also full of sci-fi fail, while pretending not to, but that's pretty much a given in sci-fi..ish... jrpgs.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
let's not forget it has the most important jrpg gameplay element evah, a fight you are forced into but cannot win.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Unfortunately SuicideBunny is right. Fuck... and I have hoped for some proper space-opera.

spekkio

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
let's not forget it has the most important jrpg gameplay element evah, a fight you are forced into but cannot win.
24ply7d.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom