Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection coming to PS4/Steam/Switch/XB1

Ivan

Arcane
I can clearly see how Sigma 2 was gimped by the PS3 limitations. As someone said, it's just utterly neutered b/c the game only throws 4 to 5 enemies at you at once. I definitely see myself returning to Sigma 1 after my playthrough of 3. I did like the pacing of over 1 overall. I got so bored by the art design of 1's campaign, but I do appreciate and enjoyed the difficulty / economy balance.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Razor's Edge is possibly the hardest action game ever made. It's far harder than 1 and 2 due to lack of items and orbs.

manifest

Educated
Razor's Edge is possibly the hardest action game ever made. It's far harder than 1 and 2 due to lack of items and orbs.
Harder than God Hand? Dante Must Die?

q6fpi26ecmn11.gif

Guess I'll have to play this now.

Ivan

Arcane
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Splinter Cell edition)

impressions after what I feel is like 3/4s of the game

The presentation is much more ambitious this time around, feeling a lot more like a Splinter Cell game. Actual work is done to flesh out the supporting cast this time around, giving the player at least some motivation behind the globetrotting. It's well done. Not overly sappy and in your face like the DMC reboot, nor does it take up too time. It's pretty effective.

The combat: it feels, sounds, and looks as slick as ever. In some ways I'm finding the experience more punishing than the previous two. For starters, healing is handled solely by using Ninpo magic, which has seen a big change this time around. Ninpo magic builds as you deal damage and only builds up to one pip. When you use it, it not only damages enemies but it's the only way to heal mid-fight. This has made the combat feel a lot more fatalistic. I could always rely on Ninpo to wipe the screen of enemies in previous entries (or stockpile items) but here you can't. This has had the positive outcome of forcing me to be more careful during fights, particularly boss fights. I'm sure Sigma 1 will be like this on higher difficulties, but this is the FIRST time I've felt it necessary to study the boss' moves to get by.

The general combat is mostly the same as before, with the positive addition of a dash. It's a neat way to get out of the way of enemy grapple attacks and a welcome new verb to the combat dance. There's still no lock-on feature, so there will be times where Ryu will auto-target someone/thing you weren't intending on targeting, but it's not a huge deal.

Enemy AI is as relentless as before, you can easily get swarmed if you don't move and utilize ultimate techniques.

There are QTEs but they're there to just spice things up in between combat encounters. Nothing too offensive. Oddly, there aren't prompts, so sometimes it wasn't clear when I had to jump, dodge, or attack, which do result in some humorous insta-deaths but the game is generous with checkpoints.

Economy: as I said before, you don't store healing items anymore, which is a pretty cool, and organic way to encourage the player to git gud without resorting to items. You do net currency to upgrade your weapons. It's pretty generous, I've never felt like I couldn't upgrade what I wanted. Sadly, this does completely remove the feeling I loved from Gaiden 1 where the shopkeep always elicited a moment of relief, serving almost life Safe Rooms in Resident Evil.

TLDR: far better than Sigma 2, the more ambitious presentation/story is a welcome addition, I am a fan of the changes made to how health replenishment is done, making the combat loop feel MORE lethal and dangerous not just for the enemies but to the player as well

Ivan

Arcane
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy

+exhiliarting combat, particularly against humanoids. Gaiden nails the animation and sound to make combat feel cathartic
-none of the games feature a lock-on system, so Ryu will sometimes target enemies you didn't intend to target, and considering the game's difficulty, can spell your death
-camera issues are pervasive in arenas set in tight spaces. Its made worse when facing large enemies with wings that take up screen real estate
-while the combat does FEEL awesome, I struggled to enjoy MOST of the boss fights. it often felt like my blows weren't registering, or were being auto blocked, so often success came by way of slowly nicking at their health bar, than "mastering" their moveset and learningtheir tells. combat is often a spastic affair, especially with bosses, since they strike SO fast, I often found it better to dodge, go in for 1 blow, and back off. This was especially true in 3 where they completely ditched healing items

TLDR thoughts on the trilogy

Sigma 1: fantastic combat foundation for the trilogy. I hated all the extracurricular bits AROUND the combat, e.g. the platforming, the swimming. I didn't care for the art direction of the monsters, or the level design.

Sigma 2: significantly easier than the first, almost in a boring way. Highly recommend you start off on Master difficulty. I don't think I got a game over once, didn't even have to use up my healing items. Enemies do MUCH less damage than in Sigma 1. Sigma 2 is the gimped version of 2, in that the game only throws 5 enemies at you at once, unlock the X-Box original. The pacing is improved, as it focuses more on the action and less on a balanced "adventure" feel that the first had with its greater share of platforming and backtracking. I wouldn't return to this one.

Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge: probably my favorite overall b/c it tweaks the combat experience SIGNIFICANTLY by removing healing items outright and limiting the player to 1 Ninpo pip. Using Ninpo is the only way to heal mid-combat. So not only do you to use it strategically, but it also means that you can't use it as a get of jail free card like in the previous 2. Boss fights were much more intense, and it made the boss encounters feel much more like a Souls encounter, where I had to observe the moves and carefully punish. Like 2, it's a linear affair with no backtracking, and very little platforming/extracurricular bullshit seen in 1. The story is much more personable and serves as a nice little sendoff for Ryu IMO.

I'd love to see a reboot of the series featuring a new Ninja from the Dragon Clan. I'd love if they returned to the almost survival-horror feel of the 1st game, with tough combat. Hell, I'd love to see a return to that style of economy as well.

3 Razor's Edge>Sigma 1>Sigma 2

I'd be down to try Gaiden Black but don't care to try the original 2 release, and I hear the original 3 is a dumpster fire. All in all, an enjoyable experience, but I'd still put Clover/Platinum's titles over this.

Something like: Bayo/Revengeance/God Hand/DMC/Wonderful 101> Gaiden > Onimusha

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
3 Razor's Edge>Sigma 1>Sigma 2

Something like: Bayo/Revengeance/God Hand/DMC/Wonderful 101> Gaiden > Onimusha
You must be the first NG casual that likes NG3R. nevermind being his favourite.

NG = DMC > God Hand > MGR >>>>>>>>>> The rest of Platinum.

Platinum is good but was generally overrated in an era of decline.

Bayonettas are not in the same league to DMC or NG. They have depth but are not very satisfying, for me the combat feels bad. Designed for soy boys, heel lickers or transies, that can't enjoy being a male badass as Dante or a strong Ninja navigating a sea of blood and danger with efficiency and discipline.

Bayonetta is a game for "men" that like their screen filled by violet and pink crap effects, and prefer stupid Karen finishers to a prestigious Izuna Drop or Royal Guard.

Ash

Arcane
What I don't understand is why the non-combat aspects of NG1 were not appreciated? Actual level design that requires navigating and figuring out even despite being relatively linear*, a lost art these days. There's relatively decent exploration and secrets, even a hub area (city), the platforming is pretty great (ninja wall running and stuff), and even underutilized I'd say. Basic yet solid economy/resource management/inventory. There are some cool puzzles, not too easy but not too hard. All the kind of stuff these newer hack n slash action games like Soyonetta are missing.

Yeah, the long swimming level in the moat does suck a bit by comparison to the core gameplay, just too slow and limiting to combat & platforming, but it's still nice variety. they failed to capitalize on what swimming could have added to the game, but it's still not terrible. same shit as the swimming level in DMC1.
Yeah, those infinitely respawning ghost fish are annoying and don't add to the core gameplay also, but again they add variety and serve as a puzzle of sorts. Still has value.
Other than that Ninja Gaiden 1 is a gem of the 2000s.
I hear the remasters/extended editions add a forced playable Rachel segment, dumb down some puzzles etc which may have sullied the experience, but I wouldn't imagine by all that much.

I mean you wrote off another sort-of gem Dying Light as well Ivan, so clearly we have different tastes and expectations, but I still want to hear further elaboration.

*Games these days are either linear asf and funnel you like a retard with no navigational challenge, no obstacles to figure out, braindead puzzles and such, that or open world. No old gold standard mddle ground where most games on the linear side still demanded plenty thought and had great level design.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hear the remasters/extended editions add a forced playable Rachel segment, dumb down some puzzles etc which may have sullied the experience, but I wouldn't imagine by all that much.
The greatest problem with NG Sigma 1 is that the Rachel levels are mostly just replaying the locations you did with Ryu, and that she is not fun to play. Maybe they could have made her a playable character for the campaign instead of breaking Ryu's campaign pace. But I suspect she could have serious problems beating some bosses.

I also agree about the exploration/puzzle sections in NGB being a good change of pace, and entertaining enough. Also removed in NGS1.

Ash

Arcane
The greatest problem with NG Sigma 1 is that the Rachel levels are mostly just replaying the locations you did with Ryu, and that she is not fun to play. Maybe they could have made her a playable character for the campaign instead of breaking Ryu's campaign pace. But I suspect she could have serious problems beating some bosses.

I also agree about the exploration/puzzle sections in NGB being a good change of pace, and entertaining enough. Also removed in NGS1.

WTF? Really?

Also wtf to the Rachel segments being a retread of Ryu segments. Jesus fucking christ.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SHITTTING ON BAYONETTA HAVE NO TASTE

YOU GET PLUS ONE EDGELORD POINTS THOUGH GOOD JOB

BY THE WAY PROPPER NAMING CONVENTIONS INSIST THAT WHEN MAKING FUN OF BAYONETTA YUO MUST CALL IT FAGONETTA

I played NG classic and NG black, I found black to be slightly superior to the original but mainly the same. Really enjoyed those games.

I played NG2 and really didn't care for it. Just felt like I was always trying to dodge a bunch of projectiles from offscreen enemies and spamming the finisher button (Am I remembering right that 2 was the one with dismemberment and you had a special button to press to finish dismembered enemies?)

Ivan

Arcane
Getting back to this after I saw it was bumped.

Ash: it appears to me that the variety you recall favorably came off to me ass flab, fat I could have done without. It certainly didn't add something that was palatable to me, mostly b/c of the camera, or b/c Ryu didn't do the move I was intending/inputting. I feel that the extracurricular gameplay sections in Platinum's game are far better, more engaging, and emotive (i.e. Bayonetta's bike/shmup sections, Wonderful 101's minigames).

-Also, it's genuinely cute that you remember my thoughts on trying Dying Light. I was actually thinking about picking that up again for Halloween. Looking for deals on it now.

Not sure what else there is to say, as I wasn't smitten or moved by the series all that much. I recommend checking out the series and it was fun to see and feel how different the combat experience is in 3 b/c of the removal of health items. I'd recommend checking that one out if you've only played 1.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

They'll likely make a new game in this decade
Videogame companies can't sit on IPs for eternity without new releases, specially valuable IPs and specially in times like these where all big companies prefer to stick to the safety of old IPs and dread taking gambles on new ones
Furthermore these remasters also serve the purpose of a kind of survey to see how much interest people still have in these games

911 Jumper

Educated
They'll likely make a new game in this decade
Videogame companies can't sit on IPs for eternity without new releases, specially valuable IPs and specially in times like these where all big companies prefer to stick to the safety of old IPs and dread taking gambles on new ones
Furthermore these remasters also serve the purpose of a kind of survey to see how much interest people still have in these games
Yep, Koei Tecmo acknowledging 20 years since NG's release is significant, likely something in the pipeline – the message ends with “what lies ahead”.
But I do wonder if a new NG will be as hardcore as the original 3D trilogy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom