Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Emotional Vampire said:
Sadly, realisitc space combat would be pretty boring. Only weapons are lasers, engagement distance ~ 600 000 km.

The idea of fighters is downright retarded.

Are you fucking stupid or do you just pretend to be?

Ever heard of Mass Drivers? Also, what about ballistic weapons? Yes, they work in space.
Lasers would actually be one of the weakest weapons in a realistic space combat game.

Homeworld 2 vs. Nexus, which has better spaceship design and why? I never played Nexus, but the ships in HW2 are cool. Sure, not very realistic, but cool.
On a related note, I'd kill for a strategic game where the laws of physics are accurately represented -- explosions are bright flashes, engines are shut down when cruising and are only used to change speed, etc.

DraQ said:
Also, level scaling - FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Not long ago I tried to play through all the campaign at last. Penultimate mission: destroy the evil guy, Makaan. Well, let's see, I have a complete fleet with three battlecruisers and the drednaught. What could possibly go wrong?
Makaan had one flagship. And lots of destroyers. And. TEN. BATTLECRUISERS.
I gave up after having the fleet destroyed twice to bring down just four of the damned things.

DraQ

Arcane
The Vanished One said:
Homeworld 2 vs. Nexus, which has better spaceship design and why? I never played Nexus, but the ships in HW2 are cool. Sure, not very realistic, but cool.
The ship design in both HWs is consistently cool, but tell me you wouldn't fap to these:

nexus%20shot%201207%20160258.jpg

nexus1yn0.jpg

4.jpg

On a related note, I'd kill for a strategic game where the laws of physics are accurately represented -- explosions are bright flashes, engines are shut down when cruising and are only used to change speed, etc.
...orbital motion, actual astronomy, relative frames of reference, kinetic energy, real time with time compression... OH GOD ITS HEAVAN!

DraQ said:
Also, level scaling - FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Not long ago I tried to play through all the campaign at last. Penultimate mission: destroy the evil guy, Makaan. Well, let's see, I have a complete fleet with three battlecruisers and the drednaught. What could possibly go wrong?
Makaan had one flagship. And lots of destroyers. And. TEN. BATTLECRUISERS.
I gave up after having the fleet destroyed twice to bring down just four of the damned things.
I actually managed to beat the game, but that's after running into insurmountable problem, that forced me to revert to much earlier save, with one of the early missions (the one with hyperspace inhibitors anchored to asteroids, IIRC).

I used my leet skills I acquired when repelling wave upon wave of supercaps single-mindedly tearing into my mothership without even slowing when I threw everything at them back in HWs last mission to complete earlier mission without breaking a sweat, with nice little fleet and huge amount of resources. Then, in the next mission, huge wall of frigates promptly appeared and steamrolled my fleet in time it took me to scream "FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-". Thank you level scaling. And you, automatic resource collection. And you, automatic hyperjump before I even got to build anything. And you, fucking moron who not only thought all those things were desirable, but made level scalling depend on total RUs (including both fleet and resources in stock), rather than fleet alone. :evil:

JarlFrank said:

Ever heard of Mass Drivers? Also, what about ballistic weapons? Yes, they work in space.
Lasers would actually be one of the weakest weapons in a realistic space combat game.

Lasers are light. They travel at the speed of light. Laser needs little over two seconds to travel the distance of 600 000km. 10 000 km/h bullet needs sixty hours.

Destroid

Arcane
It's going to be really difficult to aim a laser at that range, since your minimum time (by passive sensor) since last report of enemy possition is ~2 seconds, and by better active sensors it is ~4 seconds. Obviously you only need to be off by the tiniest amount to miss completely at that range (disregarding the enemy ship changing vector in those 2-4 seconds), not to mention the amount of energy required and fancy lenses to avoid huge amounts of scatter.

So we'd be talking a huge spinal mount which basically means that you'd have a flying laser with engines strapped on and nothing else.

I think a general purpose ship with point defence lasers and mass drivers \ missiles for longer ranges is a much more realistic ship design unless we get dragged into a inter-planetary war.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Emotional Vampire said:
JarlFrank said:

Lasers are light. They travel at the speed of light. Laser needs little over two seconds to travel the distance of 600 000km. 10 000 km/h bullet needs sixty hours.

And lasers have a lot less energy than ballistic weapons, so they do less damage.
And did you ever hear about particle beams? THAT would be an effective weapon in space.

Multi-headed Cow

I remember enjoying this game until I got to a stealth mission. Then I got pissed off because god fucking damn it A STEALTH MISSION.

ever

Scholar
I'm not gonna say whether jarl frank or emotional vampire is right because I don't know but emotional vampire seems to be thinking that the future holds an "obelisk of nod" like scenario where capital ships use deadly and unavoidable (due to the special nature of light) laser beams strike down fighters instantaneously and accurately thus rendering them useless.

Basically emotional vampire sees space combat coming down to huge juggernauts, strong hulls, stealth and detection cause once two of things meet its all about staying power.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:

Lasers are also very harmless unless you point it at the same location on a hull for minutes. There is only so much damage you can do with lightwaves.
Mass drivers would do much more damage in milliseconds.

MetalCraze said:
Lasers are also very harmless unless you point it at the same location on a hull for minutes.

Never heard of pulse lasers, have you?

Mass drivers would do much more damage in milliseconds.

Yes. Too bad they're like bringing choke to a sniper fight.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Emotional Vampire said:
Never heard of pulse lasers, have you?
Sorry never been on board of the real life USS Enterprise

Yes. Too bad they're like bringing choke to a sniper fight.

You seriously believe anyone will be fighting on 10k+ km distances?

"Believe"?

Pulse lasers are not sci-fi, they're just very powerful lasers shooting for brief periods of time - the energies are so high that everything they hit instantly vaporizes. Read: explodes. For example, one million joules of energy equals to 200 grams of high explosive.

(That's actually the "proper" way to use laser; we use them as heat-rays on Earth because high-powered lasers ionize the atmosphere causing huge diffractions)

Assuming we will ever wage war in space(which is actually quite unlikely) yeah, that's pretty much only way to do it. Everything that makes lasers almost useless on Earth - atmosphere, atmospheric conditions(fog, rain, dust, etc.), lack of indirect attack ability - is nonexistant in space.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Pulse lasers are not sci-fi, they're just very powerful lasers shooting for brief periods of time - the energies are so high that everything they hit instantly vaporizes.
Did Andhaira made an alt? :lol:
Even hugeass industry lasers vapourize jack shit, good morning.

Arem

Scholar
Stereotypical Villain said:
I crash in the mission when you first get to see the Angelwing(?), or to be more specific: When the commando radios in that there's a "strange ship" in the hangar of the base.
Haha that mission.
To pass you have to skip the dialogue as fast as possible, ie send a commando ship to the base, after they dock wait a few seconds and then they will report back to you. The trick is to pause whenever a dialogue window shows up, close it, unpause. Repeat when another window shows up. This way you should be able to complete the mission.

Nope, it still stops at "it's a huge space sh-". Oh well!
Huh did someone delete a post?
Anyway that Shukenja base mission is very crash prone depending on what you do during the mission. My approach is to avoid the platforms, get deactivation codes for them from the inactive ship, disable its engines with fighters, position away from it, send a commando unit to the base and skip the dialogue. It has been some time since I last played Nexus so I probably have missed something here but it should work.
My experience is that if you get constant crashes it is usually better to replay the mission from previous autosave than to rely on quicksave.
Also do not deviate from the mission script/objectives. If you get too creative you will crash. Sooner or later :)

DraQ

Arcane
Necromancy!

Does anyone know if there is some mode for Nexus that makes the game more Newtonian? If not in the physics department itself, then at least by altering the engine firing animations so that they only fire when ships actually accelerates/decelerates and remain dark and silent when it just cruises.

Self-Ejected

BlitzKitchen

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2012
Play the Star wars mod for HW2 with your friends over hamachi. Then tell me HW2 is crap.

One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Too bad Nexus turned out to be such a boring piece of shit. I barely made it to a mission 5 or 6. This isn't a game at all - just select one command and watch a game play itself for 5 minutes until another order is needed.

And then that Evil Robot Race with spaceships that look like cubes which you fight with your Special Ship...

Meh...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom