Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
<s>Too bad Nexus turned out to be such a boring piece of shit. I barely made it to a mission 5 or 6. This isn't a game at all - just select one command and watch a game play itself for 5 minutes until another order is needed.</s> wut its not shooter herp derp
:smug:

The only bad things about Nexus are:
-unbelievably shitty weapon and armour/firepower balance
-the fact that you only get cool ships in the early few missions.
-crashiness
-messianic vibe about Marcus Cromwell
-the fact that the person who wrote the alien dialogues didn't die of repeated ball-stomping yet
-color coded nuclear fireballs

MetalCraze

Arcane
But the biggest issue is a lack of any kind of gameplay.
It must be a great fun ordering your ship to attack something and then just moving camera around it for 5 minutes because you can't do anything else. You can't even manouever so each mission turns into a retarded puzzle "guess which ship to attack first to get the least damage overall". Good thing the "game" tanked.

Arem

Scholar
Be wise and learn Skyway!

tji.jpg

Poor Russian pirates have it hard.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
EmoVamp, everything onboard a space craft generates heat. Energyweapons heat much quicker than anything else. Spaceship has only way to rid itself of heat permanently - radiation into space. While space is cold, heat radiation is extremely meager way to deal with heat - especially if fighting in inner system, where Sun still warms all objects easily enough.

Kinetic weapons (cannons, miniguns, mass drivers, etc) have very, very short effective ranges, because how slow & 'dumb' they are.

Ergo, missiles are best, especially since their seeker heads and engines will function better without athmosphere to mess things up. And they can maneuver while in-flight.

So, my money for 'realistic' space battle twenty minutes in future would be big cargo ships lobbing hundreds of missiles towards each other and the missiles would be MIRV's, trying to swarm the defences which would be very similar to current AEGIS-system. Combine that with insane levels of electronic warfare and voila!

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html

MetalCraze

Arcane
This single mistake doesn't change that there's still no gameplay in this game.
I'll better go play some other strategy game which requires player's input once in a while.

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
This single mistake doesn't change that there's still no gameplay in this game.
I'll better go play some other strategy game which requires player's input once in a while.
Go be dumb somewhere else. Or, at least, make legitimate complaints, like about how criminally imbalanced the game is, rather than retarded ones.

Speaking of imbalance - are there any mods leaving the rest of the game intact, but tweaking the weaponry, so that shield piercers are actually useful without having to decorate entire ship with them, so that taking out subsystems with lasers is a valid tactics, and so that huge booms from missiles can break an unshielded ship in half?

GarfunkeL said:

Hey, don't link me to Atomic Rocket, that's where I have all the info in the first place.

Yes, heat is a problem, but seriously, it's a weapon moving at speed of light. There is just no competition, period. What, you want to launch missiles and wait twelve hours before they hit the target? Not to mention they can, just like anything else, be shot down or avoided alltogether.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom