Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New X-Com preview and video

Garm

Learned
SuicideBunny said:
Hoaxmetal said:
consoletards won't care anyway because they haven't heard of XCOM anyway.
funnay. enemy unknown and terror from the deep are playstation games.

So? The average console player nowadays still hasn't played or heard of X-Com.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
denizsi said:
I was only really referring to the TB combat. AI isn't the best but still very brutal.

Some of them move in your general direction if it doesnt see you.
Some move erratically in the same place.
It has no concept of cover, just view range.
It throws grenades only if there is nothing else in its hands.
It cheats. ( I cant back this one up but a lot of times if you move around infront of a door but not visible to something if it walked out of it, nothing happens. The moment you step into visual range of the door. Bang. Grey walks out. )

But I have to go easy on it because if somebody where to implement decent AI, winning them tac mission would be a fifty fifty chance, with heavy losses. Also the title "the most challenging tactical game" may not be one to be proud of.

The AI is random, not brutal. It may seem so because your dudes are outranged and die so easily.

And man, I like XCOM. Its your typical BI/Troika/Obs game. Flawed.

NiM82

Prophet
So I take a break from gaming/all things related, for nearly a year, due to :rage: and this is what I discover on my return?

Quitting gaming, again!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Garm said:
SuicideBunny said:
Hoaxmetal said:

the average console player nowadays doesn't play shooters because she is too busy "playing" wii fit on her wii.

LazyD

Liturgist
Orgasm said:
denizsi said:
I was only really referring to the TB combat. AI isn't the best but still very brutal.

It cheats. ( I cant back this one up but a lot of times if you move around infront of a door but not visible to something if it walked out of it, nothing happens. The moment you step into visual range of the door. Bang. Grey walks out. )

But I have to go easy on it because if somebody where to implement decent AI, winning them tac mission would be a fifty fifty chance, with heavy losses. Also the title "the most challenging tactical game" may not be one to be proud of.

The AI is random, not brutal. It may seem so because your dudes are outranged and die so easily.

HEY BRO DID YOU EVER STOP AND THINK OF WHEN THE GAEM WAS FUCKING MADE BRO? OR HOW BIG THE DEV TEAM WAS BRO? OH RIGHT ITS OLD AND IT WAS SMALL. STOP SPEWING HATE ABOUT ONE OF THE BEST GAEMS EVAR.

EAT NIGGER SPACE CUM.

Zomg

Arbiter
Orgasm said:
denizsi said:

It has cover, IIRC the hit calculation has this thing where it checks the amount of a character it can see, which is reduced by like being at the corner of a building or kneeling behind a hedge/wall. Then it tries to hit that amount, so half visible = twice as difficult, etc. This is actually a fundamental part of the hit system, smaller sectoids are harder to hit than big mutons, get more cover from a given piece of terrain, etc. The AI cheats in that whenever it sees a player unit it automatically knows where he is for several turns (and can do stuff like target him with psy) and after turn 20 it automatically knows where every single one of your units is.

It's true it's not that challenging (even TFtD on impossible) once you know how to abuse spotting and you stop pretending your units have narratives/tiny electronic souls, but all squad tactics games fall apart once you know most of the AI rules, ones with limited view range even more so.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Garm said:
SuicideBunny said:
Hoaxmetal said:

They heard about it alright. With it being put in all those retarded top100s of gaming media at high places. So tards think "wow it's a cool game, but it needs updating to the modern standards (aka copy-pasted shooter)" - and here comes Ken Levine on white horse, saving the day for them. Just like it all was with Failout 3

Destroid

Arcane
Zomg said:
Orgasm said:
denizsi said:

It has cover, IIRC the hit calculation has this thing where it checks the amount of a character it can see, which is reduced by like being at the corner of a building or kneeling behind a hedge/wall. Then it tries to hit that amount, so half visible = twice as difficult, etc. This is actually a fundamental part of the hit system, smaller sectoids are harder to hit than big mutons, get more cover from a given piece of terrain, etc. The AI cheats in that whenever it sees a player unit it automatically knows where he is for several turns (and can do stuff like target him with psy) and after turn 20 it automatically knows where every single one of your units is.

It's true it's not that challenging (even TFtD on impossible) once you know how to abuse spotting and you stop pretending your units have narratives/tiny electronic souls, but all squad tactics games fall apart once you know most of the AI rules, ones with limited view range even more so.

I don't think think it calculates cover into a hit % - I think if you are standing behind something it's more likely the shot deviation will make it hit that thing instead of your guy.

Zomg

Arbiter
Yeah, that. Actually I think it's that there's a roll to see if you hit then a roll to measure deviation on a miss or something? It's been a lot of years to forget shit since I knew the whole deal. But cover is a thing at any rate.

Yeah, its basically that. 90% accurate shot = 90% chance to be dead-on accurate, with the other 10% spread out to a varying range of inaccuracy that may or may not hit depending on the size of the profile the enemy exposes to you.

Still, X-com has basically no enemy AI to speak of. The aliens essentially just do random stuff, with shooting the player being slightly higher probability then other actions. And they will happily shoot each other or FF itself with explosive weapons.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The lack of AI is really part of what makes X-Com challenging. A typical stupid AI can be exploited, led into ambushes and such, much harder to deal with an unpredictable foe.

Also, the erratic behavior of the enemies contributes to their feeling of Alienness.

Orgasm

Barely Literate
I meant the AI!
It has no concept of cover.

You meant the game rules and dont get me started on those.

Primed nades, snipers that stand around and can hit shit on the other side of the map...

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06 ... t-trailer/

'This looks awesum!!1111'

RPS are such gigantic wankers.

Also, comments:

I haven’t actually played X-COM (cry for me, for I am young), but it did have men with guns, yes? This seems like a decent attempt at moving the series into shooter territory. As far as I can tell the defining feature of X-COM is investigating towns, finding an alien threat that is far too powerful for you, taking some pictures and running away until you can return with more powerful weapons. That seems to be what the trailer is going out of its way to promise, while also showing off some shooting.

:lol:

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
I can't even be bothered to get butthurt anymore. I used up all my butthurt powers in the battle against Fallout 3. I like the visuals of the trailer, but the shooting looked just like Bioshock, so it'll suck. Obviously the connection to X-Com is entirely superficial.

SuicideBunny said:
Garm said:
SuicideBunny said:
Hoaxmetal said:

the average console player nowadays doesn't play shooters because she is too busy "playing" wii fit on her wii.

Why the quotation marks? And the emphasis on "she" (WOMEN PLAYING GAMES LOLOL!!)? Seems to me that Wii Fit and Wii Sports and such are probably more hardcore than the games on other systems, since they don't come with shitty stories, cinematics, respawn chambers or popamole cover systems.

Quilty

Magister
Darth Roxor said:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/12/xcom-the-first-trailer/

'This looks awesum!!1111'

RPS are such gigantic wankers.

Also, comments:

I haven’t actually played X-COM (cry for me, for I am young), but it did have men with guns, yes? This seems like a decent attempt at moving the series into shooter territory. As far as I can tell the defining feature of X-COM is investigating towns, finding an alien threat that is far too powerful for you, taking some pictures and running away until you can return with more powerful weapons. That seems to be what the trailer is going out of its way to promise, while also showing off some shooting.

:lol:

I liked RPS back when they exhibited a sort of boyish innocence about games and promoted those that were worth a damn. Nowadays they're all but Eurogamer with a different page layout. I partly blame Gillen for infecting the site with his indie bullshit style. It didn't take long before the rest of them decided they could pursue a career in gaming journalism by sucking developer dicks.

Mhain

Educated
Everything looks so absurd, unfinished and bad that I don't understand how anyone can praise any aspect of this trailer.

XCOM logo on Bioshock plate? Black, ridiculous Prince of Persia goo? Noticable fps drops? Console movement? They should be desperate.

And RPS has never been anything but a free (at least I think so) advertisement blog for publishers like Valve. All they do is to post some extremely favourable impressions for the games they like for months, in order to trick people into buying them (currently, they are doing M&B:W, I believe). They are nothing more than hype generators disguised as gamers wanting to have fun.

Achilles

Arcane
Pure fucking fail. RPS was once pretty cool but now they suck everybody's dick. I knew that those bastards would praise the game after I saw a couple of X-Com articles where the author tried to convince everyone that he's a X-Com fan and that we should take his word that the new game is good.

This game is a disgrace, it makes me physically sick just watching the trailer.

Zomg

Arbiter
The thing I really hate about the enthusiasm Stasi that is games journalism and the snarl of internet fandom-astroturfing is that for the dipshits it really does make the game better. They're all fucking shaking with enthusiasm as they type in their pre-purchase DLC code, sniffing the fumes from the new plastic in the packaging, how can that kind of hypnosis not make the game more pleasurable?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Kingston said:
Why the quotation marks? And the emphasis on "she" (WOMEN PLAYING GAMES LOLOL!!)? Seems to me that Wii Fit and Wii Sports and such are probably more hardcore than the games on other systems, since they don't come with shitty stories, cinematics, respawn chambers or popamole cover systems.

Nintendo DS is a better example. The only console which actually has good games - and more genres than never-ending stream of copypasted shooters and even though some of DS games are remakes - it's not that I mind an improved Jagged Alliance 1 version once in a while.

LazyD

Liturgist
Orgasm said:
I meant that I'm not hardcore enough for the real challenge that the first two.. especially the second poses.. I find myself reloading after every time one of my guys die and I usually end up rage quiting 30mins in.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
matrix03.jpg

So, the matrix was really aliens.

crakkie

Arcane
UE3 plastic faces, quivering shadows, stiff animations, bloom on everything. When even the graphics suck, what the hell are people praising?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom