Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News New Witcher 3 "Killing Monsters" trailer (CD Projekt cannot into countdowns)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
And yet he does that i.e. he chooses what appears to be a obviosuly lesser evil (saves the damsel in distress).

There's a clear lesser evil, yet he picked the greater.
Apparently it's not so obvious after all. ;)

Should have stressed appears and used quotes around "obviously". The evil he chose has a potential to become greater of the two.

Well, he does not meddle there - he is unwittingly pulled into those affairs in TW1 and TW2, and he doesn't want to be involved, whereas here...
I seem to remember plenty of quests in both games where he decides to meddle of his own accord.

Yeah, but it did not involve murdering honest soldiers.

I don't think so - it's most likely just TW3 promo material.
Doubtful. CGI comes cheap in Potato but it ain't free. Seems like a big waste to only use this for a one-shot trailer.

Not likley, because I've read the "antler, deer-like creature" quest synopsy. You don't do it for the Nilfgaard, but for some peasants and the focus is tradition vs. the new ways. The creature itself is some pagan god, so I don't think it will be reused anywhere else.

Also, you really think this CGI will appear in-game outside of outro/intro? As you said - CGI ain't cheap in potato. Look at how often CGI was used in TW2.

Murk

Arcane
Huh... this trailer definitely accomplished its goal, at the least. 11 pages of discussion. 1eyedking would be proud... or something.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Geralt saves anything female in the hopes of having sex with it and rationalizes it by saying it was the lesser of two evils. That's the impression I have from the games so far anyway. If the victim here were male, he'd just throw a look at him that said, "sucks to be you, buddy" and moved on. Moral ambiguity indeed. Or maybe that's just how I always play Geralt... :M

Huh... this trailer definitely accomplished its goal, at the least. 11 pages of discussion. 1eyedking would be proud... or something.

Dahling, have you seen the unseemly pastels on their clothes? What a fa-bu-lous failure of an artistic direction.
\
8913.jpg

Cool name

Arcane
Sorry, is Agassi black cat?

Makes Let's Plays, speaks weird, is all friendly with Mrowak... Make a wild guess. :P

By this point it should be obvious that my alignment is lawful-stupid. :rpgcodex:

You are not stupid at all. Just very, very, very serious every now and then. :hug:

Which makes really weird we getting along, with me being Chaotic-Airhead and all.

Last edited:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
so I've only played TW1 in the German enhanced edition and the voiceactor for Geralt there (sadly replaced in TW2, I think) really cemented my view of the character. he's not exactly disinterested and dispassionate, but he always sounds so totally weary with everyone who asks him for help. like, "you people are such children. those nekkers aren't doing anyone any harm, but sure, whatever, I'll go kill them if you pay my blood price." and I also developed this impression that a Witcher charging for his services is somehow "sacred," like, Geralt can't do things for free even if he'd like to (I'm probably borrowing this idea from the tooth fairy needing to pay for teeth on Discworld to make their collection legitimate). I see a character like that as totally primed for having to decide whether he wants to kind of violate his weird moneymonk oath and get involved with human violence and justice or stay detached in action even though he's not a detached person inside and is frustrated at how stupid and helpless the people around him are. I dunno, I think Geralt's great. maybe my favorite voiced protagonist ever.

I think the Troll Trouble quest in TW2 is really indicative of how burdensome Witchering is. the easy and obvious solution is to murder the troll, and that's pretty much what the quest text and NPCs say you should do, but Geralt has the option to instead try to understand the creature's place in the world and relationship with humanity to decide if it's actually a threat or not, and it turns out it's just the victim of a crime. the game won't judge you at all for trollmurder (I don't think?), but it gives you the opportunity to really get into that role of being the post-human police point between apes and creatures. you can choose to be a good cop or a bad cop. and who's to say that the troll won't freak out later on if you spare him and go kill a shitload of people? Geralt has to operate from this position of faith that the nonhumans he decides aren't harmful to people won't turn around and do terrible things once he's out of sight.

so with that view of the character, the decision for Geralt to intervene with the rape-lynching isn't actually "who do I think is right?" but "do I choose to sully my mutant hands with involvement in an act of human (in)justice?" it's not about "moral choice;" it's about how you see Geralt as slotting into the world. I'm a hopeless do-gooder in games, but I think as Geralt I might have to turn away and let it happen, just because it's not in my writ. my Geralt's beat is the border between the mundane and the supernatural; he can't fix the human race like a dumbfuck bland nothing character like Shepard can. if Geralt had a Paragon "stop rapin'" option on his dialogue wheel, people would fucking ignore his moving speech and rape on.

/ramble

Mrowak

Arcane
Sorry, is Agassi black cat?

Makes Let's Plays, speaks weird, is all friendly with Mrowak... Make a wild guess. :P

tumblr_mec6pxo5mJ1rmt8w3o1_500.gif

By this point it should be obvious that my alignment is lawful-stupid. :rpgcodex:

You are not stupid at all. Just very, very, very serious every now and then. :hug:[/quote]

True, but that's just me being comfortable with myself. Especially when I am serious about silly stuff.

Which makes really weird we getting along, with me being Chaotic-Airhead and all.

It all balances out in the larger scope of things, I guess. Being chaotic and taking yourself and the world around less seriously is all we need - it's quite inspiring.

Still, I have serious doubts about you being an airhead.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Yes, idea, that by helping unknown person alleged in very serious crimes against seemingly legal authorities one can free an actual villain, is so deep, that I can easily been drown in it.

are you German? you use too many commas like a German

you guys are obsessing too much about Geralt as a character who has to be a certain way. remember, this is vidya games. -we- are the protagonist, to a certain extent. imagine this same scene in a Bioware game: shit would not be remotely ambiguous, right? or in a Bethesda game, where the last person to speak is always the one telling the truth. throw this word "moral" out the window. if this trailer is anything deeeeep, it's a criticism of mainstream gaming's tendency to have the hero just steamroll in, choose the most obvious victim and violently SAVE THEY at the cost of many uninterviewed human lives. and to have that always be the correct decision. the equivalent Mass Effect scene would be for you to tell the woman in ME1 to genetically engineer her kid then have her show up in ME2 and beat and wail at your chest because her kid came out with all the extra heads. if the trailer's anything (and I'm not sure it's meant to be anything), it's a subversion of the idea that you, as the protagonist of a game, are empowered to make decisions for other people and that those decisions will always be the right ones. stop saying "moral choices." this is just about choices, and about how creepy it is that in almost every video game and absolutely in RPGs one man roams through the world imprinting his will on it, usually with hideously incomplete information.

I think the lesser evil implied in the trailer is simply breaking his "neutrality" scouts oath (as opposed to ignoring someone in need). Doesn't seem like it's supposed to make you think "but what if the woman deserved it?". People are overanalyzing it.

Mrowak

Arcane
I think the lesser evil implied in the trailer is simply breaking his "neutrality" scouts oath (as opposed to ignoring someone in need). Doesn't seem like it's supposed to make you think "but what if the woman deserved it?". People are overanalyzing it.

I wish that it was the case. Alas they will do nothing to let the character diverge from his personality from the novels. Hell, they won't do that even for the sake of gameplay - in TW2 they did not allow you decent customization with a variety of weapons and fighting styles, because "duh, that ain't true Geralt". So we had rolling popamole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom