Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas still in Top 10 for July 2011

Elzair

Cipher
npd-1.jpg

1. NCAA Football 12 – Electronic Arts (360, PS3) = ~796K (15% YoY Increase)
2. Cars 2 – Disney Interactive Studios (NDS, Wii, 360, PS3, PC)
3. Call of Duty: Black Ops – Activision Blizzard (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game – Disney Interactive Studios (Wii, NDS, 360, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC)
5. Just Dance 2 – Ubisoft (Wii)
6. Major League Baseball 2K11 – Take-Two Interactive (360, Wii NDS, PS3, PS2, PSP, PC)
7. Zumba Fitness: Join The Party – Majesco (Wii, 360, Ps3)
8. Fallout: New Vegas – Bethesda Softworks/ZeniMax (360, PS3, PC)
9. New Super Mario Bros DS – Nintendo (NDS)
10. Mortal Kombat 2011 – Warner Brothers Interactive (360, PS3) = 85K

Maybe people are more receptive to old-school RPGs than was previously thought?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Were there any NDP numbers released about sales for Fallout 3?

I'd love to know if this is outselling Fallout 3.

attackfighter

Magister
I'm pretty sure it surpassed F3 awhile ago. If it's still going strong then the gap in sales must be quite significant at this point.

I doubt the industry will learn a lesson from this though. At best they'll start marketing their games as being oldskool (while still calling them 'innovative', 'cinematic', etc.), an actual change in design philosophy is too much to hope for.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
For me, NV helped nullify the dumbfuckery of F3. I, like others, think MCA is a keen guy ( and a good writer, which is fucking rare in this industry). Sawyer is an okay technical designer, but his ideas are all concept and without character or emotion.

In other words, I like NV. I'm too drunk to really get into it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I never played FO:LV but to call the game 'old skool' is lying. It's an action rpg based on the FO3 enegine. It may or may not be a good game but old skool it ain't.

So sad that FO:LV has easily outsold both DS3 and AP combined. HAHAHAHAHA!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Elzair, how did you get this NDP report? I thought these are not open to public.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Not to mention that it sold like 3 times as much as Dragon Turd 2."

And, 4 times as much as BG2. And, about 20 times mroe than FO or PST.

R00fles!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Destroid said:
I'll bet Obsidian are sad they didn't have royalties in their contract.

Was that ever actually confirmed?

Kinda disappointing of obsidian to follow up FNV with DS3, as a slam dunk company they should be working the hype machine on at least 2 different games now.

attackfighter

Magister
Volourn said:
I never played FO:LV but to call the game 'old skool' is lying. It's an action rpg based on the FO3 enegine. It may or may not be a good game but old skool it ain't.

So sad that FO:LV has easily outsold both DS3 and AP combined. HAHAHAHAHA!

the writing is very oldskool (ie good)

attackfighter

Magister
typically programmers are paid by commision so they would of course earn a percentage of the profits

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"what about NWN1

did it beat NWN1"

If FO:LV sold 6mil, it beat by 2x.

"the writing is very oldskool (ie good)

oldskool writing was hsit. Did you actually play old skool rpgs? Writing was NOt their strongsuit.

"typically programmers are paid by commision so they would of course earn a percentage of the profits"

I doubt this is true for employees in game companies. They are paid a salary plus potntially a bonus. Theyt're like regualr employees. Now...a lead designer like Sayer... maybe depending on his contract. but, if he says no then he means no...

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Barrow_Bug said:
For me, NV helped nullify the dumbfuckery of F3. I, like others, think MCA is a keen guy ( and a good writer, which is fucking rare in this industry). Sawyer is an okay technical designer, but his ideas are all concept and without character or emotion.

What the fuck has Avellone so big to do with New Vegas. Again he only wrote a few charachter and did the DLCs. Nothing else apart from his CCO duties. John Gonzalez was Lead Writer on New Vegas and Sawyer Lead Designer/Project Lead.

I have no Idea how people still not know that by now. Fuck.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, it just happens to be that Dead Money and Old World Blues are the best stuff in New Vegas.

The best part is that it seems most of the Bethtards are still thinking NV and the DLCs were made by Bethesda.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
IronicNeurotic said:
Barrow_Bug said:

What the fuck has Avellone so big to do with New Vegas. Again he only wrote a few charachter and did the DLCs. Nothing else apart from his CCO duties. John Gonzalez was Lead Writer on New Vegas and Sawyer Lead Designer/Project Lead.

I have no Idea how people still not know that by now. Fuck.
Still, he was the senior designer of the game. Meaning that he made feedback to the devs, participated in the development process and so on. He was not the lead designer, but this doesn't mean that all he did was writing a few characters, then taking off his vacation. And as you said he made the DLCs, and he did a pretty good job with them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom