Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas review from NMA, too good to be true???

Vault Dweller said:
made said:
"If we exclude the first person perspective, and bethesda engine, and real time..."

I just played the review copy for an hour.

Char generation is a mess. I spent the better half of that hour trying to find a non-repulsive face before I gave up. Increasing "age" turns your face fatter and yellow-er. Right on. Next I had to click through 8 screens to assign my stats. Then answer a bunch of questions that may or may not have had an effect on how my skills turned out, I'm not sure.

Relieved that it was finally over, I went outside. Found a shop, chatted with owner, had a look at his stuff - WTF is this? 100 items crammed into one long ass list in a tiny window that shows only 5 at a time - no icons, no tabs, just text. Like a fucking console rpg from the 80s. I didn't buy anything. Same crap in the pipboy: there's no paperdoll, no drag&drop interface, no icons. It's all menus and text. Tiny menus and huge text. You have to scroll to see all your skills. Three decades of UI evolution never happened.

I tried to explore the town a bit more but even running around feels retarded. The char zips around like on skates. 3rd person reveals he's actually walking on clouds - the animation is totally disjointed from the camera movement. No sense of weight or mass. Think Bloodlines but ten times more jarring. The game doesn't look bad on screenshots but when you actually see it in motion it feels terribly outdated. Whatever, thankfully pipboy can teleport you straight to your quest objective.

So I found the girl I was supposed to talk to for my tutorial. I killed her dog before her eyes (after pumping 2 magazines into its head at point blank and staring in disbelief at the idiocy that is VATS). She didn't care, but apparently I lost reputation with the town. I quit.

Note that I didn't play FO3, so all this came as a shock to me. I knew it was bad, but for this I wasn't prepared. At least now I know everyone who claimed that pos was fun and "good for what it is" for the retards they are. I don't blame OE for any of this. I can't see how anyone could have turned the engine and UI into something halfway acceptable without rewriting it from the ground up.

The sad part is, there might be actually a decent game hidden underneath that pile of crap. Writing seemed decent from the little I saw of it, voice acting was spot on, and supposedly quests and world design are awesome. But I couldn't sit through even Arcanum or PST in this engine. It's unplayable.
Graphics, animations, and your character's face are very important in RPGs, especially those where you see your character's face only when you rotate your character. Got it.

:thumbsup:

And another fine fellow who somehow loses the plot everytime an Obsidian game is put down on the Codex.

I won't bother with the usual suspects anymore; you know who you are/will respond with sarcastic gibes that stick to certain bits of a post and ridiculous analogies about ' Ripping a clip and killing someones dog in front of their face was the same as accidental friendly fire between US and British armed forces'.

Drakron

Arcane
Blackadder said:
And another fine fellow who somehow loses the plot everytime an Obsidian game is put down on the Codex.

I won't bother with the usual suspects anymore; you know who you are/will respond with sarcastic gibes that stick to certain bits of a post and ridiculous analogies about ' Ripping a clip and killing someones dog in front of their face was the same as accidental friendly fire between US and British armed forces'.

Too bad I happen to hate KotOR2, got bored with NWN2 very fast and never played its expansions and I gone FFFFFFFFFFF RAGE/Quit at a certain boss in AP.

Of course its a ridiculous analogy but if you do that in a flight sim when its not a scripted event you are fucked as the AI will declare you a traitor and open fire, I had THAT happen in Wing Commander 2 of all places.

The AI of a computer game is very basic and seems thing in absolutes.

hiver

Then you fucking script it and do not leave it to Ai or some moronic general rule for the area.

racofer

Thread Incliner
167278.gif

Drakron

Arcane
hiver said:
Then you fucking script it and do not leave it to Ai or some moronic general rule for the area.

You are asking a AI do to a action pattern recognition and decide if you intended or not.

You are asking it to actually BE a AI and not a bunch of scripts ... not that easy.

I do say this, the tutorial could just been avoided or made like Fallout Tactics were you be locked in a area and had to complete it to move on, might grown real old after a while but its not like "growing up" in FO3 was a pain in ass, almost as bad as the Temple of Trials.

Edit:

If want lulz, there is a B29 in the game ... one I assume is made functional.

Drakron said:
Blackadder said:

Too bad I happen to hate KotOR2, got bored with NWN2 very fast and never played its expansions and I gone FFFFFFFFFFF RAGE/Quit at a certain boss in AP.

Of course its a ridiculous analogy but if you do that in a flight sim when its not a scripted event you are fucked as the AI will declare you a traitor and open fire, I had THAT happen in Wing Commander 2 of all places.

The AI of a computer game is very basic and seems thing in absolutes.

Come now, are you telling me that there are several thousand Girls with pet dogs in the game? If there is, I can perhaps understand some developer laziness in this respect. If there isn't, what is wrong with scripting? What are games without scripted events? Or scripted factions?

If some wasteland scum rolled into town and blew away one of the locals pets, you can be sure at the least that the township (most of them anyway) would be either scared and dislike the scumbag, or if they had plenty of weapons themselves, drive the scumbag out or arrest them and take them to the sheriff, or kill the crazy pos if arrest was resisted.

Don't even TRY to tell me that this is too hard to script. They had people being arrested in Oblibion didn't they? Or did they cut that out after Morrowind? Gothic had this system yet also included line of sight. Games from the 80's could handle this equation.

Don't defend rubbish. If something could have been done better, than just admit it instead of blowing up like a fanboy.

It is early days. I remember somebody fanboying before changing their minds before too. Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy this sort of thing then have fun, but don't defend things that could be a lot better and have no excuses for sloppiness. Not when you would assault it in some other developers games if it was the same.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Don't defend rubbish. If something could have been done better, than just admit it instead of blowing up like a fanboy.
The problem is you retards arguing about this isolated incident. Both parties at fault. Shut up already.

If some wasteland scum rolled into town and blew away one of the locals pets, you can be sure at the least that the township (most of them anyway) would be either scared and dislike the scumbag

You lose reputation with the town. I think, because made was either half asleep or in a rush to get his kkk

made said:
She didn't care, but apparently I lost reputation with the town. I quit.

Clockwork Knight said:
If some wasteland scum rolled into town and blew away one of the locals pets, you can be sure at the least that the township (most of them anyway) would be either scared and dislike the scumbag

You lose reputation with the town. I think, because made was either half asleep or in a rush to get his kkk

made said:
She didn't care, but apparently I lost reputation with the town. I quit.

I stand corrected.

hiver

Drakron said:
hiver said:

You are asking a AI do to a action pattern recognition and decide if you intended or not.

You are asking it to actually BE a AI and not a bunch of scripts ... not that easy.
:retarded:
read again.

Mangoose said:
The problem is you retards arguing about this isolated incident. Both parties at fault. Shut up already.
Go fuck yourself with a rusty spoon.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You guys just spent three pages discussing a fucking girl and her dog. Hardly the root of the decline, eh, motherfuckers?

hiver

Its because the retard just cant let it go and just fucking say "yes thats a shitty thing they did there" so we can move on but he has to invent most ridiculous things trying to find excuses for it.

Its not about that one example at all, thats just shitty and stupid in on itself and theres no way around it.

Its about him and others spewing nonsense and me getting frustrated about it.

So you can fuck off too and go see what the NGOs and Think tanks think about it then report back in a few years! ahaha!

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All I really care about is writing. Is story decent Y/N. Mediocre gameplay is tolerable, sadly. I mean, look at PS:T.

Pablosdog

Prophet
hiver said:
Its because the retard just cant let it go and just fucking say "yes thats a shitty thing they did there" so we can move on but he has to invent most ridiculous things trying to find excuses for it.

Its not about that one example at all, thats just shitty and stupid in on itself and theres no way around it.

Its about him and others spewing nonsense and me getting frustrated about it.

So you can fuck off too and go see what the NGOs and Think tanks think about it then report back in a few years! ahaha!

Somebody needs a bedtime story! :love:

Joghurt

Augur
I've played for 2 hours. Skipped the tutorial town and combat wise it's not that bad actually. So far I only had one quest out of four where I had to kill someone. Didn't kill anyone on the streets of Primm (I sneaked past four or five bad guys). The next quest was purely comat oriented quest because you had to rescue some deputy. Well I messed up there because I was disguised as NRC soldier. Maybe that was why I had to kill all the Powder Gangers (Yes, That is the name of the gang) because they hate NRC, but I still doubt that the quest can be completed without combat.

Next I went to the NRCCF (Powder Ganger base) to find a new Sheriff for Prim. Found him and he agreed (quest is not completed because I have to get the approval of NRC). Powder Ganger boss gave me tasks. The first one was to get rid of some Mexican named dude and his boys because they are robbing caravans on Powder Ganger territory. At that point I thought that this will be purely combat oriented quest. In Fallout 3 those guys would be hostile, but in NV they were not so I had a chance to talk to them. I used a speech skill and got them to leave (but with very retared dialog options). Next quest was to get rid of some merchant who later turned out to be bounty hunter who wanted to hunt down some Poweder Gangers. Got rid of him without combat too. I actually think I had two more options a) to help him kill some Powder Gangers or b)Get him to pay me because he is on Powder Ganger territory.

Next quest is to go back to Primm and talk to the locals and find out whether the NRC is planning to attack Powder Ganger base. I stopped playing there because I wanted to sleep. Gonna continue playing after I get back from University.

Of course combat is still retarded as shit thanks to Bethesdas engine and VATS.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Grunker said:
You guys just spent three pages discussing a fucking girl and her dog. Hardly the root of the decline, eh, motherfuckers?

Next will be the complaint that the paper doll section just recycles the mustaches from FO3.

Stabwound

Arcane
I dunno about all this bullshit, but the game is pretty good/fun to me.

Although the interface is still terrible. Hope someone mods that.

made

Arcane
My post was in reply to OP who asked if the game might be good despite the well-known issues of the underlying framework. Those issues were not known to me thus my first reaction was shock. Shock that millions of consoletards and reviews would so readily ignore them when I can't.

Now everyone gets hung up on the dog thing. I can understand, I like dogs too. But at that point I was so frustrated with the interface I shot it for the hell of it to see what happens and was greeted with another abomination of UI that is VATS. Realizing every fight would probably play out like this I decided I had seen enough. It just struck me as odd that the girl didn't care/notice at all when it was obviously her trusted companion, but at that point that was the least of the problems.

Old games are supposedly too hardcore, too unwieldy, inaccessible for the modern, casual audience. Yet a modern AAA title plays worse than that, looks like ass to boot, and nobody cares. It boggles my mind. Apparently consoletards are far more hardcore than they are given credit if they can sit through all of this.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well, it has mouse controls (if you're playing on PC). Ye olde days of playing first person with nothing but the keyboard were quite unwieldy too.

Analog sticks, though... ugh.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Bros, I need yer help. I leave Doc Mitchell's house, and, suddenly, I hear this RETARDEDLY FUCKING ANNOYING constant 'sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh' sound. I can't stop it in any way other than exit to main menu -> reload, and it just keeps returning. I even tried to get all sounds to a minimum in the options to isolate the cause, but nothing is working. I'm afraid my adventure with New Vegas won't be longer than 5 minutes if I don't find a remedy for this. Anyone has the same thing and knows how to fix this?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I already have 6 pages written, faggot :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom